Last edited by user1234567; 01-03-13 at 12:05 AM.
    03-01-11 07:43 AM
    Honestly I hope so.

It probably won't though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-11 07:48 AM
    I could be wrong, but I thought Gorilla Glass is only for capacitive only, not resistive. The materials and touch properties are different. So it wouldn't be able to work.
    03-01-11 10:26 AM
    I could be wrong, but I thought Gorilla Glass is only for capacitive only, not resistive. The materials and touch properties are different. So it wouldn't be able to work.
    Blackberries have capacitive touchscreen, not resistive at all because they support multitouch.

BTW, I figured RIM didn't use Gorilla Glass to reduce the cell phone weight, which I don't really care.

I just want aluminum frame (or steel/titanium or carbon fiber even better) and gorilla glass.
    03-01-11 03:38 PM
    They could use Gorilla Glass, as it is capacitive, but they won't, because BlackBerry is infamously cheap in the regard. People like to make excuses for them but there is none, it's just plain laziness and cheap.
    03-01-11 03:56 PM
    Blackberries have capacitive touchscreen, not resistive at all because they support multitouch.

BTW, I figured RIM didn't use Gorilla Glass to reduce the cell phone weight, which I don't really care.

I just want aluminum frame (or steel/titanium or carbon fiber even better) and gorilla glass.
    Are we definitely sure? I've read a million rumors...some that it's resistive, some capacitive, others...both! I hope it's multi touch. I'm not getting my hopes too high. I'd rather be surprised than have my expectations lowered.
    NiftyB likes this.
    03-01-11 04:00 PM
    Gorilla Glass is amazing stuff. The Dell Venue Pro (a very good BB rival) has it.

Watch this maniac trying to scratch the GG on his DVP. Hilarious and impressive in equal measure.

03-01-11 07:54 PM
    That would certainly be a great addition to future BBs

03-01-11 10:08 PM
    Are we definitely sure? I've read a million rumors...some that it's resistive, some capacitive, others...both! I hope it's multi touch. I'm not getting my hopes too high. I'd rather be surprised than have my expectations lowered.
    So you don't that the touchscreens on Torch and Storm are both capacitive touch???

I see no reason why they would go back to resistive touch for Bold Touch.

Multi-touch is the win for viewing pictures and web pages.
    03-02-11 12:32 AM
    They could use Gorilla Glass, as it is capacitive, but they won't, because BlackBerry is infamously cheap in the regard. People like to make excuses for them but there is none, it's just plain laziness and cheap.
    I can't argue about that. Just compare the build quality of the Bold 9000 vs 97xx or the Curve 83xx and Curve 8900 vs the Curve 85xx and Curve 93xx series devices. The Curve excuse is that "Curves are entry-level BBs". There's no good excuse for Bold 97xx though.RIM's flagship devices deserve the best possible materials so hopefully since the Dakota/Montana will have a screen made to be constantly touched they will use Gorilla Glass.
    03-02-11 08:47 AM
    So you don't that the touchscreens on Torch and Storm are both capacitive touch???

I see no reason why they would go back to resistive touch for Bold Touch.

Multi-touch is the win for viewing pictures and web pages.
    I didn't say I thought the Torch or Storm was resisitive. All I said was rumors I saw were inconclusive with 10 sources saying 15 things.

Of course I prefer multi-touch.
    03-02-11 11:21 AM
    I didn't say I thought the Torch or Storm was resisitive. All I said was rumors I saw were inconclusive with 10 sources saying 15 things.

There is no way RIM is going to use resistive touchscreen......

Is the Torch Gorilla Glass?

It's cheap plastic. Yea I have one, and I don't like it (the plastic screen) much.
    03-02-11 04:15 PM
    i don't know what the Torch uses but if it's anything like that..... it'll be good

03-02-11 09:20 PM
    No, I don't think they will.
    03-02-11 10:25 PM

Whichever "source" said it would be resistive should not be a "source" for anything anymore.
    03-03-11 10:50 AM
    Can you post a link citing that it will have a resistive screen? I did a Google search and couldn't find any rumors on that. Just curious...

I have Gorilla Glass on my Droid X and its awesome. Dropped it a few times and never a scratch, compared to my Blackberry and HTC phones. I don't like the feel of screen protectors and how it degrades the look of the screen, so I live life dangerously. Samsung and Motorola have fully adopted it. Hopefully Blackberry will too one day. Every high-end smartphone should be required to have Gorilla Glass!
    03-03-11 12:53 PM
    Did Kevin use his keys on the screen?

I am wondering.
    05-02-11 05:26 PM
    Don't see any real need to use gorilla glass anyways... The Torch screen was fine.
    05-02-11 05:27 PM
    Don't see any real need to use gorilla glass anyways... The Torch screen was fine.
    Hmmm... Torch screen is kinda kinky on me, not that sensitive and smooth.

I guess it's possibly because of my screen protector, and that's why I don't wanna use any screen protector if it's gorilla glass.

05-02-11 05:30 PM
    Pretty sure it's your screen protector. I used my torch without one for months.
    05-02-11 05:33 PM
    Pretty sure it's your screen protector. I used my torch without one for months.
    No scratches?

I am not using any case.... sometimes I put it with my keys...
    05-02-11 05:34 PM
    If you put it with your keys, I don't recommend it "just because" being cautious is better (goes for any phone).

Rather get a hard screen protector that is slick, not a gummy or sticky one. But yeah, I had no scratches.
    05-02-11 05:37 PM
    "Multi-touch" has little to do with the phone being either capacitive or resistive. Multi-touch refers to the phone's capabilities of detecting input at two or more locations simultaneously (enabling features such as pinch-to-zoom).

Click here for more information.

As for the gorilla glass, it would be nice, but the phone has a steel band protecting the rim of the phone. The main weak spot for any glass panel are the sides. With a device like the iPhone4, where the sides are exposed (the metal band doesn't fully encompass them), a fall at a bad angle can shatter the glass completely. With devices like the Torch, the plastic bezel doesn't offer much protection, and so it too is prone to shattering.
    Last edited by Masahiro; 05-02-11 at 05:48 PM.
    05-02-11 05:39 PM
    The glass on the Storm 2 was pretty tough - it took me 18 months and several drops (never on purpose!) to scratch it.

05-02-11 05:40 PM
    The glass on the Storm 2 was pretty tough - it took me 18 months and several drops (never on purpose!) to scratch it.

It's a long experiment if it was on purpose.
    05-02-11 05:43 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD