03-10-12 11:38 PM
71 123
tools
    great thread. if you are already connected via bbm would ut still show the person via wiki? i ask in reference to those that cant see their friends.
    08-24-11 06:57 AM
    I apologize if this was asked already but i have been through the first two pages reading and my head hurts so i think ill just join the conversation on the fourth page if thats okay

my question is - when looking for a BBM contact, does the other person have to have wikitude as wekk? i tried to find my girlfriend across my house and she didnt show up. she si running os6 if that makes a difference?

EDIT: wow, this was answered right above my post..i feel like an *****! lol -_-
    Last edited by Mr-Chasteau; 08-24-11 at 08:44 AM. Reason: ...for being a tool
    08-24-11 08:43 AM
    when I looked around I found a lot of BBM users...that means there are a lot of BB7 users around? These phones are very new and if the adoption rate keeps going like this, the iPhone will be dethroned.

also, reading the comments some ppl post I had a good laugh!
    08-24-11 10:05 AM
    Yeah, in my area nobody really has these new phones yet. But I'm sure that will change in the coming months.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-11 10:12 AM
    No one has it in my area either and I live in a city with about a million people

Two questions:

Is there a way to filter results according to what 'world' you want to see? Like just BBM users? Etc?

Is there a way to extend your search area? Someone found me and said I was withing 40 miles of them but I have NEVER seen one person on my bbm list.
    09-12-11 01:28 AM
    My question to everyone regarding Wikitude is...has anyone successfully located a person's BBM across your house/across a room through the AR viewfinder? The only reason I would want Wikitude is for picking BBM friends out of a crowd and I haven't been able to see a single one yet -

I just see random people, and no useful information. I've tested it with another person running OS 7 on a 9900.
    Same here. I am constantly around BBM friends of mine and not once have I seen them thru the wikitude browser. For that reason alone, I have abandoned the app as 'useless' and not accurate. Show me different and I'll change my opinion

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Hahah, I too feel like beeg eedeeot because my question/concern was answered a few posts above lol. OK so now I have to install this on a friends bb and see....I still think this app (in the words of the king in amadeus) has too many notes.
    Last edited by Mamaluka; 09-12-11 at 08:34 AM.
    09-12-11 08:31 AM
    I have abandoned the app as 'useless' and not accurate. Show me different and I'll change my opinion
    I abandoned Wikitude after less than a day. I figured it was completely useless, it didn't seem to do anything. People have tried to explain it, but I just don't 'get it'!
    09-12-11 08:43 AM
    I abandoned Wikitude after less than a day. I figured it was completely useless, it didn't seem to do anything. People have tried to explain it, but I just don't 'get it'!

Some people get it, while others do not. (Shrugs) it's a fairly simple concept. It's not a new idea either.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-12-11 08:59 AM
    Is there an update for this??...reason i ask is because i just fired it up and it says version is no longer supported then takes me to a download page...i have it downloaded through bb appworld but no update shows up??

Just did the update from 6.0.4 to 6.0.8.
    Last edited by Spawn12; 09-12-11 at 10:37 AM.
    09-12-11 10:33 AM
    Oh wow.. I didn't even realize that this thread that I started actually shot up and is still going strong :X

On a side note, It might be stupid, but I noticed that I have a few businesses/stores that I didn't even know existed in my neighborhood so I guess that's cool?

I am honestly just waiting to go on a trip somewhere and using it to find out some cool areas and restaurants etc. Until then, it's just a goofy little app that I look at when I'm bored

Is there an update for this??...reason i ask is because i just fired it up and it says version is no longer supported then takes me to a download page...i have it downloaded through bb appworld but no update shows up??

Just did the update from 6.0.4 to 6.0.8.
    PS. I had the same issue aswell.. Never told me that I had an upgrade available in app world, but then loading the app it required me to upgrade. I got an error message from it and then went to app world and it said I had an upgrade for it, it installed then said I had another upgrade and finally I have 6.0.8 haha. Not sure why it was so glitchy about updating, but whatever
    09-14-11 04:31 PM
    I installed and deleted wikitude within a couple of days. Found it "neat" but ultimately kind of useless and more cumbersome than a simple mapping application (as I don't care to talk to other BBM users I don't know).
    mralxak likes this.
    09-20-11 11:07 AM
    ok for those of you who think wiki is a little too unpolished, or couldn't find your friends when connected to BBM. The app is called Real Contact, and basically what it does is connect to your BBM, and then will notify you when a contact is physically near you (Great if you are at a concert or something and get lost or whatever), now you have pretty good privacy control and you do not broadcast your position to everyone who has this app installed, only those who you choose.

You can get more information on this app at htttp://www.realcontact.com.ar/

and the download (App World) https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/contents/56074 (Some reason I received an OS error when I tried that link), but you can also download version 1.2.3 by searching Live Connect in AW.
    09-25-11 12:06 PM
    My question to everyone regarding Wikitude is...has anyone successfully located a person's BBM across your house/across a room through the AR viewfinder? The only reason I would want Wikitude is for picking BBM friends out of a crowd and I haven't been able to see a single one yet -

I just see random people, and no useful information. I've tested it with another person running OS 7 on a 9900.
    today i was messing around with this app trying to figure out what the heck its purpose is and i actually found a friend of my girlfriend (just a name ive heard her drop over the past year). i didnt send a bbm request because im sure this girl has no clue who i am (plus my bbm name isnt my name AND this girly hasnt been highly spoken of from my girl).

that was a great explination by the way futher up. however it was a little too detailed and i still feel lost. i still would like to know how things make their way into my wikitude and ALSO what are some real world uses of this app. and no not hypothetically....i mean what are YOU (guys/girls) using it for.

great thread!

cheers.
    11-23-11 01:53 PM
    Oniberry/crackberry genius, could you explain to me how is it that twitter individuals are identified on Wikitude? I am a twitter user, and use the BB twitter app; does this mean others can see me on Wikitude? Must I have Wikitude on for others to see me? Is there a setting I can change so I am not "visible?" Thanks, just getting to better understand this app. Thanks.
    02-02-12 01:01 AM
    Hi, I don't see the camera icon to activate the AR? There's only the map and list icon. Using a 9360.

Help!
    02-02-12 01:37 AM
    Why is it that it only shows me a certain branch of ATM's?? If anyone knows please help a fellow crackberry fiend out.

ps I'm in Ontario, Canada and it is showing only RBC ATM's and banks...there is a TD much closer.
    02-02-12 01:55 AM
    Oniberry/crackberry genius, could you explain to me how is it that twitter individuals are identified on Wikitude? I am a twitter user, and use the BB twitter app; does this mean others can see me on Wikitude? Must I have Wikitude on for others to see me? Is there a setting I can change so I am not "visible?" Thanks, just getting to better understand this app. Thanks.

Your tweets (provided they also include location-based info: GPS Location) tweets are searched using location only. If you are searching tweets via Wiki, you will see the tweet, where it was tweeted, and who sent the tweet. They will show up on you AR (Augmented Reality) browser.

runnerpete likes this.
    02-03-12 04:13 PM
    Why is it that it only shows me a certain branch of ATM's?? If anyone knows please help a fellow crackberry fiend out.

ps I'm in Ontario, Canada and it is showing only RBC ATM's and banks...there is a TD much closer.

I am in Ontario as well. You will only see what has been added to the browser by other users. I can see TD, RBC, Citi, and strictly cash atms. If you need to find a specific atm, then download the appropriate app from your bank....if available.

02-03-12 04:36 PM
    Hi, I don't see the camera icon to activate the AR? There's only the map and list icon. Using a 9360.

Help!

You have to enter a 'world', for example ATM, then when you enter that category, you can switch view from map, ar browser, list view, etc...

02-03-12 04:39 PM
    I tolerated it for several months then was in a situation where I found it more cumbersome and more of a hassle than just googling. Threw it in the gabbage! I think overall it was a great idea but the ui and cryptic layout killed it for me. Then there is the issue of the font size. To add insult to injury the thing uses way too much space. There is another augmented reality app on app world I was looking at. May download in the future but for now I'll pass. :-(
    02-03-12 08:13 PM
    I agree with most of the people here in saying that it is a cool idea, but not that useful at this point in time. But, I think this is also because theres not that many people using blackberry's for socializing. I am almost positive that once bb10 drops and gets its name out there apps like this will be huge. i'm a college student and if a big hunk of the students get bb's, a big percent of that hunk will use apps like wikitude. this will give it a more friendly environment (not just total random people wiki chatting each other, it will be other students in this context). It will be more of an icebreaker maybe, in class, if you saw someone else on in the room "o hey glad to see someone else is finding this lecture incredibly boring." stuff like that.
    Idk if this is how it will be, but i can see it being so. what do you guys think?
    03-10-12 11:38 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD