I won't go into details but I am aware of when i am in proximity of someone quite talented in networks and security for one of the big telecom companies that strange things happen to my BB 9900 os7. I have had a BB for over 10 years and never (EVER) had a problem until I came to know this guy. I have burned through 3 batteries in 2 months with the constant reboots/and what appeared like it was shorting out / glitchy and endlessly rebooting and numerous other problems with it I won't go into detail over all of it but it ALL took place in a very close proximity to this person - but the most clear-cut case of when I felt like I had seen enough and was 98% certain it was him doing this, was when I saw him (obviously this is someone who I do not think likes me for whatever reason) and minutes later after he saw me texting, the icons on my home screen had gone from the default arrangement to 1 icon per line. This is a several-step process and did NOT happen in my pocket. Fun stuff. I am not aware that he's ever had direct access to my phone. Worst case scenario, if he can do this, hypothetically speaking, do i need to get a new phone with a new IMEI and guard it with my life? Its possible he's managed to find that info out by having enough time to take a peek behind the battery at some point. I see there is a way to hack the IMEI but I am not sure about that in terms of legalities and so forth. I'd rather just get a new BB but want to know if there is a way that this invasion will keep happening even if I do not share the fact I have a new phone. Can this be done with a SIM card cloned phone? I will call my provider and ask them about the security of the phone and if the current SIM matches the one that was originally activated - BUT - does anyone have any other advice? I do realize that the BB is not really easy to hack unless you get physical access to it - but this may be a somewhat unique situation given who this person claims to be. I am not pointing any fingers at anyone/any company etc, and this could be a "glitch", but I am curious what you guys have to say about it all? Cheers
    05-08-14 05:59 AM
    I personally think you're paranoid and don't believe there is anyway to get in to your phone.
    That being said, there are apps like go to assist that can be allowed to be installed (with your permission) that can take control of your BlackBerry similarly like how it works on your PC. But that needs to be allowed by you.

IF you have this type of app and the guys works for that company... maybe there's something here... but I really doubt it's a cold hack of your phone.

Best of luck though.

A slow climb to the top is always more rewarding. Sent using my BlackBerry Z10.
    05-08-14 06:25 AM
    Thanks for your reply. I too think that it would be next to impossible. I have followed these boards for a long time but could not find anything specific to this problem. I am not a nervous type, so not sure I am paranoid, yet; but, if you had seen the weird things and the timing of them, maybe you would start to wonder as well. The concern, or question I pose here, has just evolved from of a gradual series of what I'd normally call coincidences and I suppose my curiosity needs to be satisfied more than anything really. When strange things I have never seen, nor heard of, start to occur at an increasing rate and seem to correlate strongly with being in the vicinity of said person, an "expert" in the field / experienced, ...well, there are only so many coincidences I can rationalize before I search for an answer.

It's good to hear from you that you don't really feel it's a likely hack though! I am going to wipe it and put an entirely different OS on it and a new SIM and see what happens.

Thanks again for your speedy reply!
    05-08-14 07:27 AM