Hello everyone. Sprint has this posted on my accounts page:
    "Turning on Wi-Fi extends your smartphone battery by up to 50% and makes it easy to multitask. And when your phone automatically searches for available Wi-Fi networks, it's easier than ever to get connected!"

I was always under the impression that having Wi-Fi on will use more battery than having it off. I can understand having it on and constantly searching when not inside of a Wi-Fi network, but does having it on and connected all of the time while at home improve battery life up to 50%? I am interested in your experiences and feelings on the subject.

Thanks everyone!
    02-10-13 03:21 PM
    From past tests that I've performed, using\having WIFI on and connected does do wonders for battery life. With 3G and 4G, the device seems to have to work harder, thus use more battery power.
    hzguo and nappp like this.
    02-10-13 03:35 PM
    If you have a strong wi-fi signal; such as at home and at work like I do...it saves battery power, yes. However, if you have a weak wi-fi signal and do NOT turn off wi-fi then you are spending a lot of battery power SEARCHING for a signal. It happens to me every time I go to a certain location near when I live. There is not a strong wi-fi and my battery drops like a ROCK and furthermore; my phone heats up like a tv dinner in a microwave.

If you have wi-fi, yes it will help you and save your battery. This is what I have found to be the case.
    nappp likes this.
    02-10-13 03:54 PM
    Thank you both for your responses so far. Real life examples are way better than simply following the instructions off of a carrier's site
    02-10-13 04:05 PM
    I relate to that, I usually leave my phone with wifi turned on overnight and I was surprised to see next morning battery was almost full, better than before when I had only 3G on.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 7 usando Tapatalk 2
    nappp likes this.
    02-10-13 06:23 PM
    In short. If you're connected to wifi. YES. If your not. NOOOOOOOO. If your driving to or from work or to the store, your wasting power , tons of it :-) Any time i am not at a wifi network, i shut mine off. saves lots of juice for later. I can make my bold last from 7:30am to around 11pm with hardcore use outside of home if i kick the wifi off.
    nappp likes this.
    02-10-13 10:16 PM
    learn something new everyday! thanks everyone. blackberry + home = wifi on from now on
    02-10-13 10:24 PM
    also confirming this: if I have it on wifi with a good signal, longer battery life than using HSPA+ alone
    nappp likes this.
    02-11-13 10:40 AM
    learn something new everyday! thanks everyone. blackberry + home = wifi on from now on
    Just remember Blackberry+no wifi = Wifi OFF
    nappp likes this.
    02-11-13 07:24 PM
    Just remember Blackberry+no wifi = Wifi OFF
    and so it shall come to pass
    02-11-13 07:38 PM
    and so it shall come to pass
    Also if you use bluetooh. Turning this off while your not connected will create such a power increase that your head will actually FALL OFF of your body and roll across the room :-p

I left my bluetooth on one day for the sake of curiosity. Battery was full at 7am. Dead at 2pm > flat.

haha
    02-11-13 09:43 PM
    lmao. I usually keep bluetooth on all of the time even when not connected. never noticed a big difference there. although every little bit helps sometimes

thanks for the warning about the head rolling! could of been a close call!
    02-11-13 11:38 PM
    You know what ? i thought it didn't but I've been testing my 9900, not always on, but wherever i know there could be WiFi available, i instantly turn it on, and at home always on, i gotta say that my phone battery life has improve like 30 or 40% !!
    02-12-13 01:13 AM