I just wanted to consolidated everyone who is having this problem into one posting here and out of the main thread about the leak.

If you had that problem and then put in APN settings and it worked then DO NOT post here.

This is for people who have tried entering APN settings manually and it still hasn't worked.

Hopefully if we get some similarities together we can start to find a solution.

I have two 9900s doing it, one Orange UK/BIS and one Vodafone UK/BES both are unbranded SIM free units supplied directly from RIM UK. Both running the just leaked firmware.

DM
    11-25-11 10:25 PM
    Me too.. I have the 9900 on Tmobile USA BIS .. What's funny was mine working earlier after I first installed but then now I started getting the annoying message.. Don't know what else to do

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-11 01:28 AM
    same stupid error msg here too
    bold 9900 branded to Rogers
    thanks for help
    11-26-11 04:38 PM
    Hopefully if we get enough similarities together we can figure it out.

Are either of you connected to a BES server ? - Ambon is your phone branded ?

I have a funny feeling for people on Orange UK/T-Mobile UK it has something to do with the SIM updates pushed to the phones to co-brand the networks and the phone not understanding that correctly as when it tries to start on the Orange handset I have it says starting Orange/T-Mobile hotspot - which seems weird.

Still looking into it anyway.
    Last edited by DangerMouseUK; 11-26-11 at 05:11 PM.
    11-26-11 05:07 PM
    Me too.. I have the 9900 on Tmobile USA BIS .. What's funny was mine working earlier after I first installed but then now I started getting the annoying message.. Don't know what else to do

Same here, i currently have the APN set to epc.tmobile.com. This is my settings under the tcp/ip as well. Just like you mine worked after installing the leak last night but I've been getting the error all day. I've also tried wap.voicestream.com, blackberry.net, and internet2.voicestream.com. i also had a message come in a few hrs ago saying a change to your blackberry plan has been made.
    11-26-11 05:45 PM
    I think it's a service book issue, check the thread by spensa as I have some service books that I didn't have in os7 that would be related to making mobile hotspot work (specifically a bridge between the tcpip and the wifi because the wifi is used to connect to the wifi devices, and then this data is bridged over tcpip over your mobile network's internet)
    11-26-11 05:47 PM
    Ok I dont know if this will help. I first put in the apn, user name and password. all was good for a few hours then i got the network problem. all i did was delete the user name and password and it worked i stream a full movie on my playbook no problem. later on i get the network issue so i put back the user id and pass and it worked. so may have to go back and forth its better then paying for a teathering plan.
    hybrid1976 likes this.
    11-26-11 07:00 PM
    Ok I dont know if this will help. I first put in the apn, user name and password. all was good for a few hours then i got the network problem. all i did was delete the user name and password and it worked i stream a full movie on my playbook no problem. later on i get the network issue so i put back the user id and pass and it worked. so may have to go back and forth its better then paying for a teathering plan.
    Excellent find!! its working for me now. I have T-mobile which doesnt require a username and password but inside the TCP/IP settings i checked Authentication enabled and made up a username and password. Then went back and turned my mobile hotspot option back on. At this point it prompt me for the APN settings as usual, enter epc.tmobile.com and the username and password created. The feature should work at this point. If i get the error later I will try removing the username and password as suggested and see if it continues to work.

hybrid1976 likes this.
    11-26-11 07:28 PM
    Awesome!!! good luck !!!!!
    11-26-11 08:38 PM
    Unbranded 9900 from Bahrain running on Batelco and I've had the same problem trying to start it. Tried the apn with and without the username/password and it doesn't work.
    11-27-11 06:54 AM

i am having the same issue ...
    .any news on why this is happening?
    11-27-11 08:24 AM
    some people on tmobile have to use a different apn then the ecp. one
    11-27-11 08:30 AM
    Same here, i currently have the APN set to epc.tmobile.com. This is my settings under the tcp/ip as well. Just like you mine worked after installing the leak last night but I've been getting the error all day. I've also tried wap.voicestream.com, blackberry.net, and internet2.voicestream.com. i also had a message come in a few hrs ago saying a change to your blackberry plan has been made.
    Where else other than the tcp setting do you set an APN?
    11-27-11 08:47 AM
    Where else other than the tcp setting do you set an APN?
    when you turn the hot spot option on it prompts you for the apn, username, and password.
    11-27-11 10:42 AM
    "I have T-mobile which doesnt require a username and password but inside the TCP/IP settings i checked Authentication enabled and made up a username and password. Then went back and turned my mobile hotspot option back on."

Worked for me on Bell Can.
    11-28-11 08:39 AM
    same stupid error msg here too
    bold 9900 branded to Rogers
    thanks for help
    What plan are you on?
    I've seen people comment that tethering won't work on the 500mb plan...
    11-28-11 11:29 AM
    What plan are you on?
    I've seen people comment that tethering won't work on the 500mb plan...
    500 Mg with Rogers,
    i've been hearing that there's no tethering with 500 meg plans
    11-28-11 12:42 PM
    when you turn the hot spot option on it prompts you for the apn, username, and password.
    Unfortunately for me I do NOT get prompted for APN, username, and password when I turn on hotspot.

Does anyone else also not get prompted?
    11-28-11 12:51 PM
    500 Mg with Rogers,
    i've been hearing that there's no tethering with 500 meg plans
    Rogers is very consistent with this. To activate a Hotspot (on iPhone and now on BBs) you will need to have a tethering plan. The 500MB plans are not tethering plans, you must have at least a 1GB plan. You cannot buy tethering separately, it is bundled with any data plan of 1GB and above.
    Broly likes this.
    11-28-11 12:54 PM
    Thanks urbanguy, I didn't know that. My 6GB plan has been on my account forever, and I do remember there was a little thing with Tethering that was announced when the 3GS went live but I wasn't sure how it applied to all of the 6GIG plans. I guess they applied it automatically.

Another +1 for rogers.
    11-28-11 02:09 PM
    Interesting. Going to see if there's a DB you can clean to wipe settings.

I only get asked for a WiFi password and that's it.
    11-28-11 06:17 PM
    I have a rogers 9900 unlocked using on Lime jamaica with an unlimited data plan. Their apn is "internet" username and password blank. What's odd is using their apn I get nowhere(just that annoying message) however the 1st day I upgraded I got mobile hotspot to connect use the apn blackberry.net username and password blank. But even though my playbook could connect there was no data being tranfered so I still cuddnt browse. But since that day I've not been able to even start hotspot with either apns.
    Last edited by teostar; 11-29-11 at 05:47 AM.
    11-29-11 05:45 AM
    I just wanted to consolidated everyone who is having this problem into one posting here and out of the main thread about the leak.

If you had that problem and then put in APN settings and it worked then DO NOT post here.

This is for people who have tried entering APN settings manually and it still hasn't worked.

Hopefully if we get some similarities together we can start to find a solution.

I have two 9900s doing it, one Orange UK/BIS and one Vodafone UK/BES both are unbranded SIM free units supplied directly from RIM UK. Both running the just leaked firmware.

DM
    Like most issues on a BlackBerry...a battery pull fixes this as well.
    11-29-11 01:28 PM
    Getting this message on an unlimited BB service plan with Globe Telecom (Philippines) on a factory unlocked Bold 9900. When I get to put in the APN required which is http.globe.com.ph it shows the message but when i put in Globe - Globe Telecom it sets the mobile hot spot to work but with no data coming out of it.
    11-29-11 08:51 PM
    Got it going. Entered a username and password and set authentication and I'm good to go. Thanks.
    11-30-11 12:53 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD