I just spoke to BB employee who has all three demo phones and he confirmed that all 3 have the wifi hotspot. Note that this was in France, and if it is carrier dependant, or service book based, that may not be true everywhere...

At least it has not been rubbed out as people said.
    08-07-11 05:44 AM
    Maybe its an FCC thing? I'd love for someone with a UK unit to confirm it too.
    08-07-11 06:51 AM
    Good news. Thanks for the heads up.
    08-07-11 09:57 AM
    It would REALLY REALLY REALLY SUCK big time if Hotspot wasn't available. My contract with my internet provider is ending so I'll opt to the 6GB data plan.
    08-07-11 10:06 AM
    i have a 4g droid and i am at a hotel now, with only 3g coverage. the 3g hotspot is still much faster than the hotel wifi network. i really hope vzn offers this. i get unlimited data for $30.
    08-07-11 10:16 AM
    This sounds very encouraging. I'm hoping that Verizon will activate it as well. I suspect they will, as it can mean more $$$ for them....
    08-07-11 10:29 AM
    What about sprint version coming with hitspot? and if yes hopefully makes fast a free app not to have to pay sprint $30 monthly RIP OFF! This is a big thing for me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-11 12:16 PM
    vzn, unless you were grandfathered in at $30 unlimited for the hotspot, is $20 a month for 2GBs for the hotspot.
    08-07-11 03:18 PM
    Hopefully like with ios and android there will be a mod or 3rd party workaround so we wont have to pay the carriers more $$ to use the feature. Even bb has apps like tether that allow users to tether free.
    08-07-11 03:43 PM
    I would LOVE this to be true, but sadly it doesn't sound so reliable. What are the odds that one place has seen mobile hotspot, meanwhile nowhere else has seen this that speaks about it on forums.
    08-07-11 05:53 PM
    Hopefully like with ios and android there will be a mod or 3rd party workaround so we wont have to pay the carriers more $$ to use the feature. Even bb has apps like tether that allow users to tether free.
    With iOS it's a standard feature now. Has been for a little while.
    08-07-11 08:56 PM
    Mobile hotspot was added to iOS when the Verizon iPhone came out earlier this year. Hope we see it on Telus 9900, would go great with the iPod touch I keep in my other pocket.
    08-07-11 09:08 PM
    it's not the same as tethering. some hotspots can be shared with up to 10 people. droids can be hacked to be free...guess we will see on the bb's. but since its carrier related feature, there is still a decent chance we will see this on some carriers.

vzn has it on several of their phones now.
    08-07-11 09:15 PM
    With iOS it's a standard feature now. Has been for a little while.
    I'm well aware of that. If u read more carefully i was saying I hope there is a 3rd party app or workaround like there is on ios and android so we dont have to pay more to the carriers just to use hotspot.
    08-07-11 09:20 PM
    I'm well aware of that. If u read more carefully i was saying I hope there is a 3rd party app or workaround like there is on ios and android so we dont have to pay more to the carriers just to use hotspot.
    Sorry. We don't get charged anything to use Mobile Hotspots here and the iOS feature has been available for quite a while. It's data we're already paying for - just channeled through this device to another. Nothing to pay for really.
    08-07-11 10:12 PM
    The wifi hotspot has to be supported by the carrier because the service books for it has to be pushed in order for it to work. This is kind of dumb because RIM will lose more customers by giving TOO MUCH control of their phones to the service providers. Already people had enough of BBs due to restrictions (same thing is happening with iPhone as well) causing some people to go for an Android.

Half of my BlackBerry friends are buying iPhone5 this Winter not because BBs are bad, but because RIM has created so many problems for us. No Skype thanks to RIM, no many useful features thanks to RIM not approving apps, the list go on.

Wifi hotspot better be there or I am returning my Bold for sure.
    jinxednuance likes this.
    08-07-11 10:22 PM
    The wifi hotspot has to be supported by the carrier because the service books for it has to be pushed in order for it to work.
    You dont think its possible for devs to make a third party app to access the hotspot sorda like how the 3rd party app "tether" allows you to freely tether on blackberries?? Or perhaps some sorda hack/workaround to discretely enable/utilize the feature?
    08-07-11 11:34 PM
    You dont think its possible for devs to make a third party app to access the hotspot sorda like how the 3rd party app "tether" allows you to freely tether on blackberries?? Or perhaps some sorda hack/workaround to discretely enable/utilize the feature?
    Because the OS is based on Java and C++ (I think), yes it will be possible. But they can also have the ability to block access to core files if they want. There is always a way to bypass things like this.... but they may not always work well.... I know the tether app, but when the RIM and service providers don't officially support a feature, it is always bad for the average consumer.

I just saw a news article on crackberry main site title "Teen girls choosing BlackBerry over iPhone in the UK". Do you think those girls will dig deep in to BBs and find a way to crack the hotspot? I am a university student in Canada and more than half of the girls in science and engineering classes don't even know what good a battery pull would do. Just the other day I updated one of my friends Bold 9780 OS because she has no idea how to do it.

The point is if the system is not supported, few consumers will look for solutions. Unless it shipped with wifi hotspot with instructions on how to use in the manual or phone's intro video, RIM will lose customers simply because customer has no idea the power of 9900 at the first place.
    08-08-11 10:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD