Anyone know if the Bold Touch will have the ability to turn into a hotspot?
    Last edited by yzf.shaun; 05-18-11 at 11:17 PM.
    05-18-11 10:53 PM
    6.1 was supposed to.
    But now we don't know.

It it means anything, It has 2 Wifi Radios. .
    05-18-11 10:55 PM
    we're all hoping it does. It was not announced with the device at BlackBerry World. Who knows, it might be up to the carriers.
    05-19-11 12:13 AM
    it might be up to the carriers
    Key sentence
    05-19-11 12:34 AM
    Certainly not definitive information, but the latest promo picture here on CB showed the 99xx with "T-Mobile HotSpot" active...as well as a 4G icon.
    05-19-11 01:15 PM
    Wait, duh. Ignore my last post. I'm not awake yet. Yes, I don know the difference between connecting to a hotspot and acting as a hotspot. Honest. My coffee hasn't kicked in yet.
    05-19-11 01:16 PM
    I think this is up to the service provider(aka Carrier). For example, Telus Canada here seems be preparing to push service books for BB 9900 hot spot. But I think this is highly customizable by the service provider. What that means is, even if you get wifi hotspot features, your service provider can add restrictions like, maximum number of unit can get wifi (most likely 1 device), network timeout(how long you can use it straight), how much data you can get in an month through wifi hotspot, etc, etc.

Anyway, I am not sure either... It is still a mystery. We need Sherlock Holmes to do some dig in to RIM and their service provider partners.
    05-19-11 03:37 PM
    I'm not sure how the carrier can decide this when it's available on Android devices tunning Froyo 2.2.

If this phone has WIFI hotspot capability my mobile data needs are then complete. Come on RIM give us the goods.
    05-23-11 12:49 PM
    I'm not sure how the carrier can decide this when it's available on Android devices tunning Froyo 2.2.

If this phone has WIFI hotspot capability my mobile data needs are then complete. Come on RIM give us the goods.
    Blackberry OS use something call Service Books. That gives the carriers to either push the service books for the wifi hotspot or refuse it. That's how it works.
    05-23-11 04:20 PM
    why would carriers block this when it means another data plan to our bills? I dont doubt a few will, I just dont understand why.
    05-23-11 06:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD