Having owned the 9900 for a mere 3 days now - in my opinion it is a wickedly awesome device. Has EVERYTHING a bb addict could ask for. The browser is amazing, the keyboard a dream, screen resolution is crisp, processor fast and snappy, the camera is quick and responsive, the list of pros is to long to mention.

I have zero complaints so far. My question is though: will the 9900/9930 be enough to turn the tide for RIM? They're in dire need of a device to attract people back to the platform - if there ever was going to be a device I feel the 9900 could be it... But will it be? What's your thoughts?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-11 12:19 PM
    I guess we'll find out soon enough. Maybe for bb lovers that were on the fence it'll be enough but will be enough for users of other devices?
    08-15-11 12:23 PM
    Won't have it till tomorrow, but I can already tell you it's not enough. It only enough until the release dates for QNX BB's are announced.
    08-15-11 12:25 PM
    I believe it is a marketing game now. Blackberry has an image problem. In other words, I dont think one device will turn the tide. I believe the 9900/9930 can stop the slide and keep Blackberry lovers at home, but not capture new business.
    In order to get more of the market they will have to deliver a wow, something new, something better. The 9900/9930 seems to be what blackberry lovers have wanted for a while, which is great news. However, it does not change the game.

Do you use the new phone for phone calls? How is the ear speaker volume?
    08-15-11 12:26 PM
    Well to guess, I'd say it'll sell very well but not enough to "turn the tide". It'll do what it needs to, which is buy RIM some time to transition.
    If it's the right device for me, I couldn't really care less how well it's received by the general public, and I highly doubt RIM is going bankrupt anytime soon. If it isn't well received, RIM may still have an ace up their sleeve. This device is "only" a stop-gap afterall anyways.

Unfortunately no it won't be. Yes the 9900 is the best BlackBerry ever made. But it's not enough to turn the company around. I don't believe the 9900/30 offers enough to lure people away from Android or the iPhone.
    I do however think that the combination of the 9900/30, 9850/60 & the 9810 will help RIM start to regain it's footing in the marketplace. I don't think any of the devices by themselves will have a significant impact in market share, but together they will help RIM regain some share. Which is exactly what they're supposed to do until QNX arrives in early 2012. )
    ratchetjaw#AC and southlander like this.
    08-15-11 12:28 PM
    It is enough to hold them over till QNX.
    08-15-11 12:31 PM
    I think most of these comments are coming from us users in North America. I travel as often as I can and I can tell you one thing, the uptake on BB's outside the USA is growing exponentially. Traditionally Nokia strongholds are going to BB from my humble observation. QNX is going to be the make or break for RIM. I like the OS from my experience with it on the Playbook but I personally am not interested in a huge slab device which appears to be the trend nowdays. I would though like a 4G LTE Blackberry to bridge with my Playbook.
    08-15-11 12:43 PM
    I don't think they will be grabbing too many Iphone users, but this phone will pull some android defectors back.

Once the "newness" of Android wears off, peeps will be back to ol' faithful!
    08-15-11 12:45 PM
    I don't think they will be grabbing too many Iphone users, but this phone will pull some android defectors back.

08-15-11 12:46 PM
    If the 9930 had 4G I might've bitten but since it's still only 3G, I'll wait till next year to see what RIM comes up with.
    08-15-11 01:00 PM
    If the 9930 had 4G I might've bitten but since it's still only 3G, I'll wait till next year to see what RIM comes up with.
    But the 9930 IS on the nation's largest 4g network (VZW).
    08-15-11 01:04 PM
    Funny, the exact same thing was said about the iPhone. Several Android phones are entering their third generation, it's not that new anymore.

Yes, Verizon 4G is really that fast!
    08-15-11 01:07 PM
    Enjoyed all the opinions. I agree that this device will certainly stop a large portion of the bleeding. I differ slightly on whether or not it will attract people back from iPhone or Andriod - as I know several of these users (iOS/driod), and many of them are "happy enough" with their device, and have not switched back because RIM simply had nothing good (modern) to offer. Now with the three new models being released this month (9900, torch2 and torch non-slider) I feel that some of these types of folk will migrate back to bb. But a previous post was right, "time will tell"

08-15-11 01:08 PM
    Here's a point I never hear made though in the whole Android vs. BB debate:

What about those of us for Android is just too much?

I briefly tried Android earlier this year. I immediately found that I didn't like having to have Internet access in order to look at my Google calendar while at my computer, and I hated the fact that I needed a separate app for my notes and a decent "to do" list. Sure, Android has 60,000+ apps, but I don't need that many. (I need, like, four.) I'm more than happy having my BB which syncs to Microsoft Outlook (which handles my calendar, contacts, to do list and notes all at once).

I got so frustrated that I came back to BB in about four days!

Isn't there a sizable segment of the smartphone community for whom BB is the better choice because Android is just too much??
    08-15-11 01:24 PM
    I have an Android phone for work and I really dislike it. Yes some of the stuff is done in a more visually pleasing manner but that is about it. I am tired of always having that phone on the charger. I thought we were supposed to be using 'wireless' devices.
    southlander likes this.
    08-15-11 01:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD