because i need keyboard along with touch screen
    I'm already planning on moving to the 9930 from an Evo 4G on Sprint. Main reasons are for the keyboard and phone size, plus I own a 16GB PlayBook so Im looking for free bridge browsing. The Evo 4G has been a great phone, but it's a bit too cumbersome to hold for long periods of time and the lack of physical keyboard kills it for me. I have a BB curve for work and I can type so much faster and accurately on the Curve than on the Evo virtual keyboard. The new 9930 looks to have some great specs on paper and sounds like its going to be a quality device. Looks like RIM has finally upped their game on what customers want, hope everything starts to look up for them. Still waiting on my PlayBook update hint hint...
    DJBS4LIFE likes this.
    07-17-11 05:26 PM
    I'm probably leaning 70% towards the 9900, 30% towards the iPhone 5. iPhones have never really interested me (partly because I have an iPod touch), but iOS 5 caught my attention. Something about the new notification system, and of course iMessage appeals to the Berry user in me.
    07-17-11 07:39 PM
    Loving the GS2 but there is a part of me which has missed blackberry. Will be trying out the 9900 once its released on ATT.
    07-17-11 07:48 PM
    I've left BB in the past, to try android or IOS, but i always keep coming back. The apps, games, and media features in android or IOS are appealing, but in the end it's all about practicality and functionality.

The physical keyboard is the number one reason I love BB. Along with that great keyboard comes the shortcuts available on the keyboard.

The second reason i choose BB over the others is the messaging. The messaging features on BB are second to none.

These are the two reasons I will stick with BB and be getting the new 9900/9930 bold.
    07-17-11 07:55 PM
    Lost 2 more BBM friends to the iPhone this week. My gf doesn't want a BlackBerry now because she says that none of her friends have one anymore. This is getting very frustrating. I wish this phone was out 6 months ago!!!!!
    Your first mistake is letting her think she has a choice!! ggeezzz!! j/k

If you buy her a Blackberry because YOU! have BBM, and as these phones gain popularity her friends will move to Blackberry's or all of them will be on LiveProfile
    07-17-11 08:08 PM
    First some History:
    Why I turned in my 9650 for Evo4g, I worked a job where i had hours upon hours of down time, Evo4g filled that time much better than the 9650, with a SNES Emulator I could play all the old Final Fantasies again, wasting countless hours on them.

Why I am getting rid of the Evo4g and taking the 9930 over anything else:
    New job, can't take my phone into the building, camera or not. I no longer need a phone to waste hours of time on. Just needs good call quality with easy email/texting. Battery life isn't a huge deal, long as it lasts 18 hours with minimal use. Since my Evo4g can last 20 hours with heavy usage, I'm sure the 9930 can last as well.
    07-17-11 08:17 PM
    I love all gadgets, cell phones, etc. I currently have an iPhone 4 and a Torch. The iPhone is great to play with. Call of Duty:Zombies is a great time killer. Unfortunately, at my work place, my iphone gets almost zero reception. Text messages fail constantly, downloading anything is painfully slow, and you might as well forget about checking social media or web browsing. Don't know why, but in my building, my iphone is pretty useless. That's why I went back to my Torch. No problem with any of those issues. So I don't have a ton of games to play, so what? I'm too much of a social media fiend to give that up for zombie killing. Can't wait for the Bold 9900. I wanted the original Bold 9000 and never got it and have regretted it ever since. Now it's time to make things right. Well, in a couple of months anyway. Is it here yet?!
    07-17-11 08:22 PM
    Simply put, i wont be getting it..
    Too little too late, sorry RIM.
    I love my 9650, but i am getting 14-16 hours out of my T-Bolt and can type just as fast on my virtual keyboard.. And no way on earth i could give up the screen now. I really had high hopes for RIM, but these phone are just too much of the same. Yes i know touch screen and all, but on such a miniscule screen im just not impressed.
    And lets not even get into the browser..

So no, i will keep my trusty and always faithful 9650 and T-Bolt until RIM wakes up and offers something truly new.
    07-18-11 09:09 AM
    Simply put, i wont be getting it..
    Too little too late, sorry RIM.
    I love my 9650, but i am getting 14-16 hours out of my T-Bolt and can type just as fast on my virtual keyboard.. And no way on earth i could give up the screen now. I really had high hopes for RIM, but these phone are just too much of the same. Yes i know touch screen and all, but on such a miniscule screen im just not impressed.
    And lets not even get into the browser..

So no, i will keep my trusty and always faithful 9650 and T-Bolt until RIM wakes up and offers something truly new.
    I can appreciate that you've found all you need in the T-bolt. But have you read any of the hands-on reviews if the new
    BB's? How can you say they're just more of the same, especially where the browser is concerned? If the form factor doesn't work for you, that's one thing. But the reason there's been such a delay in getting these things out is because they are leaps and bounds better than what they are replacing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-11 09:33 AM
    Personally I look at the iPhone and the Droids as toys. Download apps - and play. I am done with that - My needs for a Hand Held Device are: Talking, Interrnet, Email, Texting and oh yea - BATTERY LIFE.......The only device that answers all these needs is the BB - and at this point - its waiting for the best one made.....
    quoted for truth!
    07-18-11 12:17 PM
    I've left BB in the past, to try android or IOS, but i always keep coming back. The apps, games, and media features in android or IOS are appealing, but in the end it's all about practicality and functionality.

The physical keyboard is the number one reason I love BB. Along with that great keyboard comes the shortcuts available on the keyboard.

The second reason i choose BB over the others is the messaging. The messaging features on BB are second to none.

These are the two reasons I will stick with BB and be getting the new 9900/9930 bold.
    x2 I found out I am not a big fan of touch screen phones. I like the physical click of the button.

I keep hearing people that left BB state "I want to see something complete new, something completely different from BB than their standard phone."

I love the BB, it is smaller then the Android I had (and returned to go back to my 2 year old 9630). I had the same sort of glitches with the Android that I had with the BB; txt messages opening up blank and such. I also became so dependent on the auto correct function of the phone that I could never type in a device unlock code as quickly, easily and accurately as I did on my BB. Add in the Otter Box case, which is nice, but I didn't like how big it was then and I could not fit a normal size head phone jack into my phone with it on.

Give me a Blackberry because I can drop the phone with out a case and pick it up and it will be fine. I want a device I am not sacred to use day in and day out because I might drop it. I am human, things slip out of my hands I need a phone that is up for that abuse.
    07-18-11 12:36 PM
    I am waiting for the 9930 from Verizon. My current BB is a Tour which has served me well. I would like to have something a little snappier though.
    07-18-11 12:42 PM
    ok, i get that americans want 4G (we dont have it here in the uk, and some even argue you dont really have it) but i doubt the iphone5 will be 4G, so this wouldnt even be a deciding factor in the US.

as for the screen, 287Dpi is a very good clarity, and yes a little off the iPhone, but not by alot, im sure the `average joe` wouldnt be able to tell.

as for something that makes iPhone owners say wow, well from what iv been told, by those very in the know, its coming around Q1 next year.
    RE: 4G = Agreed. I don't really need it but other phones are starting to offer it and BB should be pushing the envelope.

RE: screen = Agreed. But again this should be something RIM releases and beats others by.

RE: Wow factor = Q1 next year? That timing is perfect. It will work right into Apple and Android's plans. I hear those two companies are just standing by waiting for RIM to release something really good I am just kidding of course. The problem with this, in reality, is many many many (that is 3 "many's") BB users will have switched by then.

Even my loyalty is being questioned at this point. iOS5 looks great and the iPhone is likely my next device.
    07-18-11 02:51 PM
    Edited for content:
    I also don't see where the 9900 is yesterdays tech. Sure there are android phones coming out daily with higher specs, maybe that because the software needs those specs to run.

Keep chasing those specs and keep getting further behind or keep spending your money monthly for them.
    You are right, the 9900 is not yesterday's technology. It is yesterYEAR's technology. 5MP camera? My 9780 has that. Full qwerty keyboard? yup got that. About the only thing my 9780 doesn't have is NFC technology and the ability to lock the "All" "Favorites" "Media" Etc windows (which should have been an option with OS6). I don't really care about that though. So, the 9900 is basically a faster 9780 with NFC and a bit bigger keyboard. In lieu of "chasing those specs" (which don't sound like they are anything worth considering) and instead of "spending my money monthly" I am seriously considering leaping to Apple.

Apple gives me HDMI/VGA out, ability to handle so much more with more apps, a real BT keyboard, and did I mention that I can cancel my Exchange account and save around $30 a month!

Just thinking about it now though. I really do love my BB. RIM has got to improve it's product lineup though, otherwise, loyal BB users will be gone...AND every customer you lose is very hard to get back.
    07-18-11 03:08 PM
    Ahh man. This phone is such a good looking practical phone without a doubt. The keyboard and everything is perfect too. So tempting. I just need app support man!!! Lol, I am no fanboy by any means but I cannot see myself picking up the 9900 when the bionic, charge, D3, GS2,, is sitting right next to it for the same price. Like, my pride wants me to get the BB but I dunno man.

Like, I have a DX right now and a handful of things that I do with it only a daily basis cannot be done on a BB (app wise etc) . It is such a slick phone tho.
    07-18-11 05:04 PM
    ^^^With that being said tho, If it comes out in the next couple of months I will definately try it tho.
    07-18-11 05:11 PM
    I am a mechanic and I get my hands dirty. EVEN IF I could learn to type on a virtual keyboard with the same efficiency (haven't been out-typed by an iPhone fanboy yet), keeping the screen clean would be a nightmare. So the biggest reason is #1 the KEYBOARD. I have noticed that Android users have chargers everywhere, One for the car, one for the office, one for home. Pfft. My 2 y.o. 8900 still lasts 2 days on a charge. #2 Battery life. #3 Notification LED. Why don't ALL phones have this? #4 Voice quality. My wife's $20 Virgin mobile sounds better than an iPhone. My BB sounds better on speakerphone than most mobiles (according to the people on the other end). #5 Email. Nobody does it better. Others come close, but no cigar. #6 SECURITY, SECURITY, SECURITY. Are you TELLING me, that you are confident in Android for your mobile banking and NFC on the horizon???

#7 Data Compression. I am able to use a cheaper data plan with a BB. But to be fair, data heavy applications like music streaming and video ain't what you get a BB for.

That said, I love web browsing on a BIG touch screen. If the 9900 is at least able to render pages quickly, I could overlook the small screen for the rare times I use the web online.
    07-18-11 06:28 PM
    lol I honestly can't help but laugh at most BB fanboys trying to justify these old phones. I'm using a BB too but I am realistic about the product. It is NOT what some of you make it out to be.

Ok keyboard's great, I'll give you that. I myself am not too fond of touch screens and I'd prefer the keyboard but not at the cost of aging tech with no versatility/app support. The few extra seconds I may spend by typing on a virtual keyboard is insignificant, especially with the tradeoff of a nice large display with great browsing and every day useful apps. I've been using my mom's iPhone and while I'm not completely sold on it, the experience is significantly better than my Bold. Battery life is better than most smartphones but not by an exceptional amount, I have to charge my Bold every night just like my friends with iPhones and Droids charge their phones every night. Email is the same thing, BB just gets them sooner. Not a big deal. LED is insignificant, never cared for it. And lastly, security is a relative term. People think cuz they have a BB they're impermeable to all forms of attack. Wrong. Just cuz it's better secured than iOS, don't think for a second that if someone really wanted to, the BB could be hacked just as well as an iPhone can.
    Maliberti likes this.
    07-18-11 06:41 PM
    lol I honestly can't help but laugh at most BB fanboys trying to justify these old phones. I'm using a BB too but I am realistic about the product. It is NOT what some of you make it out to be.

Ok keyboard's great, I'll give you that. I myself am not too fond of touch screens and I'd prefer the keyboard but not at the cost of aging tech with no versatility/app support. The few extra seconds I may spend by typing on a virtual keyboard is insignificant, especially with the tradeoff of a nice large display with great browsing and every day useful apps. I've been using my mom's iPhone and while I'm not completely sold on it, the experience is significantly better than my Bold. Battery life is better than most smartphones but not by an exceptional amount, I have to charge my Bold every night just like my friends with iPhones and Droids charge their phones every night. Email is the same thing, BB just gets them sooner. Not a big deal. LED is insignificant, never cared for it. And lastly, security is a relative term. People think cuz they have a BB they're impermeable to all forms of attack. Wrong. Just cuz it's better secured than iOS, don't think for a second that if someone really wanted to, the BB could be hacked just as well as an iPhone can.

So your needs are different
    and your time isn't as valuable that is fine, but laughing at those of us who the keyboard is of the utmost value is a little childish for a lack of a better forum approved term.

I type on my Blackberry for a solid 5 hours a day, between emails BBM, txting, and forums my fingers are moving pretty much steady on that keyboard, with gloves or without depending on time of year the touch screen just doesn't provide that for me. that isn't to say it can't be great for others.
    app functionality again is a user preference, I have only run into 1 app so far and that was actually today that I have seen on another platform and wished my Blackberry had.

as for how easy it is to hack, the fact the iPhone OS gets jailbroken regularly shows "secure" the iOS truly is. this is not an intended feature like "rooting" an Android is.
    Not saying Blackberry is hack proof as their is a known exploit through the browser, but it is far more secure than the other phones on the market when equipped with strict security policies.
    07-18-11 06:53 PM
    So your needs are different
    and your time isn't as valuable that is fine, but laughing at those of us who the keyboard is of the utmost value is a little childish for a lack of a better forum approved term.

I type on my Blackberry for a solid 5 hours a day, between emails BBM, txting, and forums my fingers are moving pretty much steady on that keyboard, with gloves or without depending on time of year the touch screen just doesn't provide that for me. that isn't to say it can't be great for others.
    app functionality again is a user preference, I have only run into 1 app so far and that was actually today that I have seen on another platform and wished my Blackberry had.

as for how easy it is to hack, the fact the iPhone OS gets jailbroken regularly shows "secure" the iOS truly is. this is not an intended feature like "rooting" an Android is.
    Not saying Blackberry is hack proof as their is a known exploit through the browser, but it is far more secure than the other phones on the market when equipped with strict security policies.
    Having a legitimate need for a keyboard is a valid concern for choosing a BB over another phone. But these laundry lists of why the BB is better over an iPhone/Android device is just ridiculous when they can just as easily be served with many counterexamples of why the other OSes/phones are better. If you like the BB for its keyboard then get it. If you like the iPhone then get that. No need to sit here and defend one over the other, makes you all look really silly. I liken these discussions to men who have to compensate in other areas due to (well I'm sure you can figure out the rest).
    07-18-11 07:23 PM
    Having a legitimate need for a keyboard is a valid concern for choosing a BB over another phone. But these laundry lists of why the BB is better over an iPhone/Android device is just ridiculous when they can just as easily be served with many counterexamples of why the other OSes/phones are better. If you like the BB for its keyboard then get it. If you like the iPhone then get that. No need to sit here and defend one over the other, makes you all look really silly. I liken these discussions to men who have to compensate in other areas due to (well I'm sure you can figure out the rest).
    I'm not in disagreement here

Use what is best for you, though the lists of WHY you like something I do appreciate at times because I realize I'm under utilizing a feature, like the app quicklaunch being able to take screen shots..

I don't really need to hear what the other platforms are lacking, but people like to compare and I'm sure if I went through my post history I've been guilty at times.
    07-18-11 07:37 PM
    lol I honestly can't help but laugh at most BB fanboys trying to justify these old phones.
    Justifying or explaining?
    and I don't think your list of most important phone requirements would look like my list.
    07-18-11 07:59 PM
    You are right, the 9900 is not yesterday's technology. It is yesterYEAR's technology. 5MP camera? My 9780 has that. Full qwerty keyboard? yup got that. About the only thing my 9780 doesn't have is NFC technology and the ability to lock the "All" "Favorites" "Media" Etc windows (which should have been an option with OS6). I don't really care about that though. So, the 9900 is basically a faster 9780 with NFC and a bit bigger keyboard. In lieu of "chasing those specs" (which don't sound like they are anything worth considering) and instead of "spending my money monthly" I am seriously considering leaping to Apple.

Apple gives me HDMI/VGA out, ability to handle so much more with more apps, a real BT keyboard, and did I mention that I can cancel my Exchange account and save around $30 a month!

Just thinking about it now though. I really do love my BB. RIM has got to improve it's product lineup though, otherwise, loyal BB users will be gone...AND every customer you lose is very hard to get back.
    Cool, I think you need to get what will make you happy. The iphone is a nice device.
    07-18-11 08:02 PM
    I just went to the Verizon store to buy the Droid 3 for a trial run.

That keyboard is very marginal at best. I REALLY want a reason to jump ship to android. It felt so weak, that I could not bring myself to pull the trigger. It would be tremendously awkward to operate any of these slab phones one handed.

The hassle of returning it would not have been worth the bother.

At 600mhz, my 9650 operates quite snappily. Perhaps that is attributable to a smaller or more efficient OS. At 1ghz, I can't imagine.

People are complaining about their dual core Droid 3's lagginess left and right in the forums.

There is a different kind of "lag" that often goes unmentioned. It is the slow, plodding that most people endure as they attempt to type on a touch screen. There, the lag is external and involves the operator-phone interface. The slowness here should be calculated in the overall speed of a phone....and I suspect that this kind of lag would make any hardware lag pale by comparison.

Truly, I want to like android. I'll always keep an eye out for a physical keyboard android.
    07-18-11 08:07 PM
    iPhone and Android do ONE thing and only one thing better than the berry...internet.

The internet experience on the blackberry is...well...disappointing at best, infuriating at worst.

That said, I've yet to find a vitrual keyboard (I've tried the iPhone, Moto Droid X, and HTC Incred 2) that I can type with any real accuracy with...
    07-18-11 08:30 PM
173 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD