I'd say the iPhone 4 has a pretty acceptable battery life though. Everyone who I know that has one does ok with it. The iPhone 3 was another story though.
    agreed. My iphone 4 gets me through 1-1.5 work days. Same as my 9780. Id say the iphone 4 has a better battery than any blackberry besides the 9700/9780
    07-23-11 10:20 AM
    Last time I was in a verizon store (about a week ago) they didn't have any BB's on display...at all!
    They still have them at Sprint HOWEVER they are stuffed back in a dark corner.....
    ...It appears that the carriers are pushing Driod and Apple at this point.
    ...Simply because at this point BB doesn't have much to bring to the table.
    ...Other then the best email on a phone & the best keyboard - period.
    07-23-11 12:30 PM
    I read it. It was long and you said 'like' a lot. But there is a lot of truth in there...my brother has the thunderbolt and his battery is always dying.
    Hah so you're the one Nah, I appreciate it though. Battery life is the one major downfall of the new smartphones :/

And yeah, I guess when I ramble on typing for about 5 or 6 minutes, I tend to say "like" a lot If I proof read it, I would have fixed it, but I figured whats the point when only a few people are going to read it anyways
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 07-23-11 at 10:33 PM.
    07-23-11 10:24 PM
    agreed. My iphone 4 gets me through 1-1.5 work days. Same as my 9780. Id say the iphone 4 has a better battery than any blackberry besides the 9700/9780
    I'm not sure exactly what you are using your iPhone 4 to do, but I'm assuming not that much.. I have 3 friends who have the iPhone 4 and with moderate usage they are lucky to get a day out of it.. The same activity on any blackberry (my Bold 9650, my cousins Torch, etc.) can easily go through the day and still have 30 or 40% battery life left.. And I'm saying a day with constant emails, texts, checking social feeds, occasional game.. The 9700 and 9780 aren't the only BlackBerries with good battery life.. I can get close to the same with my crappy 9650 and my cousin with his torch...

Funny though, because the first day of orientation during college, I met a kid that had an iphone 4. The orientation started around 8am and at about 5pm or so, his battery was down to 30 or 40%.. Even HE was complaining about it, sure he did use his phone quite a bit, but from everyone I know, the iphone4 doesn't have anywhere near as good battery life as any BlackBerry for that matter..

Not to mention, the OS version on your BlackBerry makes a huge difference too.. I'v had ones that drain the battery like crazy, and others that are godly. Apple is just more stingy about releasing minor updates whereas if you are a CrackBerry user, you update your phone the second you see a leaked OS.
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 07-23-11 at 10:36 PM.
    07-23-11 10:32 PM
    It's honestly annoying to me... I'm not the kind of person who will BEG someone to buy a BlackBerry if they are getting a new phone, but I will stick up for it and say the pros AND CONS about BlackBerries.

My friend was just buying a new phone, I told him that he should get a blackberry and he responded "Nah.. I'm not really businessy, I don't need to manage a bunch of email accounts and I really want some good apps." I didn't deny the fact that BlackBerry isn't doing so well in the APP department so he then proceeded to get some Android phone.

Guess what? The day he got it, he was carrying his old phone with him too (LG Dare) and I was like wait.. Why do you have both phones..? And he said that he texts people on the Dare and plays games and texts some people on the new Android phone.. He then proceeded to complain about how ****ty the battery was on his new phone and that he just fully charged it and it was already down to 70% The one good thing he could say about his new phone was this, and ONLY this: "I love that I can play WordGame though"

I mean if it was a 1 time deal complaining about the battery, okay.. But every time we hang out, he just proceeds to complain about how ****ty the battery life is and we have to charge his phone for a few hours whenever he comes over...

So my aunt is going to upgrade her phone and she straight out came up to me and said I have to upgrade my phone, BlackBerry or iPhone? I said, well new BlackBerries are coming out within the next few weeks and a new iPhone is coming out in a few months so if anything wait. She said well which one do you think I should get? All I said was this: "Well do you want to play a bunch of games and apps on your phone? or would you rather have a phone that just worked as a phone but managed your emails and everything extremely well." She then said that she was not planning on playing any games on her phone and she just wanted battery life (because she has an old flip phone that lasted like 2 days) and a phone that just worked.. I told her to just go for the new BlackBerry coming out. I told her I would let her play with my 9930 once I get it before she made any decisions. But she was completely SOLD on the blackberry the second I mentioned battery life.

Sorry this is long, but it's just nuts that these people say "hey this phone is like 3 years behind it's time" and everything, but howcome everyone around me that has a BlackBerry doesn't complain at all, whereas every one of my friends and family members that have an iphone, droid, etc. are doing nothing but complaining about the battery life.

RIM is doing something right, people just like to kick at them for some reason.. like they FEEL like they have the best phone because it can run great apps so therefore they have to flip out on RIM for not having crazy experimental quad cores and sh*t like some of the other competitors out there, but that does nothing but lower the longevity of the battery life when the OS itself cannot benefit from the crazy hardware...

This post is long, I'm sorry, but if even one person reads it, I will be happy. I just don't see why people have to hate on RIM so much... Just because they are doing something entirely different than their competitors they are like hated on by everyone who has never owned a BlackBerry...
    The battery life on my Bold 9650 BLOWS. With moderate usage I can't even get through a full day and have to carry an extra battery with me and keep a charger in my office and in my car; otherwise I would be out of battery by 6pm every day. I love my Blackberry but the battery life argument is vastly overrated. I can't comment on Android phones, but from my experience battery life between the iPhone and my Bold is pretty much the same.
    07-23-11 10:34 PM
    The battery life on my Bold 9650 BLOWS. With moderate usage I can't even get through a full day and have to carry an extra battery with me and keep a charger in my office and in my car; otherwise I would be out of battery by 6pm every day. I love my Blackberry but the battery life argument is vastly overrated. I can't comment on Android phones, but from my experience battery life between the iPhone and my Bold is pretty much the same.
    What OS version do you have? How many random apps do you have open at all times without even knowing it..? I have had my Bold 9650 for over a year, and it lasts me all day easily with emails all day, texting all day, occasional web browsing with its ****ty browser, a game here and there.

If I play Final Fantasy on it for 3 or 4 hours then sure, the battery life is almost dead, but who is playing video games on their BLACKBERRY for hours a day...

Check your OS version because I am always updated to the latest and I have had some that completely suck, and others that are phenomenal. Also, what carrier are you on? Do you have GPS turned on all day? Wifi turned on all day?

My Bold 9650 is currently at 60% battery life and I woke up at maybe 10am this morning and spend 20 minutes on social feed and checking the internet/facebook/blogs before rolling out of bed.. I'm completely happy with my Bold 9650 currently although it does suck for other reasons than battery life..
    07-23-11 10:45 PM
    Absolutely agree. I can't understand this battery life argument. And I keep my Bold in great shape - new FRESH OS installs regularly after completely wiping, minimal apps, good reception all day. With moderate, not even HEAVY, just moderate use...I usually have to charge by about 8-9pm. Some days its much earlier.
    07-23-11 10:47 PM
    What OS version do you have? How many random apps do you have open at all times without even knowing it..? I have had my Bold 9650 for over a year, and it lasts me all day easily with emails all day, texting all day, occasional web browsing with its ****ty browser, a game here and there.

If I play Final Fantasy on it for 3 or 4 hours then sure, the battery life is almost dead, but who is playing video games on their BLACKBERRY for hours a day...

Check your OS version because I am always updated to the latest and I have had some that completely suck, and others that are phenomenal. Also, what carrier are you on? Do you have GPS turned on all day? Wifi turned on all day?

My Bold 9650 is currently at 60% battery life and I woke up at maybe 10am this morning and spend 20 minutes on social feed and checking the internet/facebook/blogs before rolling out of bed.. I'm completely happy with my Bold 9650 currently although it does suck for other reasons than battery life..

I don't keep any apps (i.e. FB, Twitter, etc.) open when not in use.

Verizon.

GPS is turned on but Wifi is only on at night when I'm at home. Bluetooth is also off most of the day.

Screen brightness is at 30%.

Bottom line is that in my experience with the Tour and then Bold, battery life on BB is vastly overrated.
    07-24-11 04:26 PM
    AnandTech has some comparison charts on battery life here:

AnandTech - HTC Sensation 4G Review - A Sensational Smartphone
    07-24-11 05:00 PM

I don't keep any apps (i.e. FB, Twitter, etc.) open when not in use.

Verizon.

GPS is turned on but Wifi is only on at night when I'm at home. Bluetooth is also off most of the day.

Screen brightness is at 30%.

Bottom line is that in my experience with the Tour and then Bold, battery life on BB is vastly overrated.
    Upgrade to 6.0.0.600, its official on multiple carriers now and I find it to be pretty well.

As for GPS, that drains the battery HARDCORE no matter type of phone you have. I would recommend doing what I do and have it turned off, but have a setting in SHORTCUTME where I press "TG" which toggles the GPS on and off. The 2 seconds it takes me to press the buttons "TG" is WELL WELL WELL worth the amount of battery life it saves me having GPS off except for the occasional times that I use it.

PS. I keep my WIFI turned on all day and I noticed that my battery drains A LOT more when I have GPS on all day opposed to just having WIFI on all day. If you HAD to have one on 24/7, I would recommend WIFI and NOT GPS though. I do have another shortcut set to "TW" which, you guessed it.. Toggles wifi on and off :P (oh and "TB" for toggle bluetooth)

6.0.0.600 is a very stable release and seems to have great battery life. I would just turn that battery sucking GPS off and use a program to toggle if when you REALLY need to use it.
    07-25-11 01:05 AM
    Nailed it. When the phone was announced in May, I was strongly considering it as I was hoping it would be released a month from then (like a normal company who cares about their products and their place in the market should do). Now it's simply too late, there are too many good phones about to come out. Compared to current iPhones/Droids, the 9930 is STILL behind but at least it could somewhat hang. The new Droids/iPhone 5 that's about to come out will obliterate the 9930.

People think the 9900/9930 will cause some sort of storm or there's this huge hype about this phone. Wrong. Outside of crackberry, very few people are checking for it. When I mention I might get a BB as my next phone, people say to me "they still make those"? Or my favorite response when I mentioned the new 9900/9930 will have a 1.2ghz processor - "welcome to the 21st century RIM".

A succinct and most accurate summary of "this issue"......
    ....My guess is that RIM just recently started to react to the reality of their situation.
    ...And is now in high gear playing "catch-up".

Right now RIM still has the best actual "phone", email and battery for any device.....
    ....It's playing catch up to add those things it currently can to their devices.
    ....Things that are "old hat" by now to Droid and Iphone.

If Rim is able to retain it's battery life WHEN it finally comes out with a fully flash supported phone.....
    ....AND has the BASIC APPS that makes peoples life easier with something like video chat.
    ....RIM will again be at the top of the pile.

If they don't - it will be a rather rapid death for the company......
    ...Something I hope we don't see.
    07-25-11 02:20 PM
    I'm not sure exactly what you are using your iPhone 4 to do, but I'm assuming not that much.. I have 3 friends who have the iPhone 4 and with moderate usage they are lucky to get a day out of it.. The same activity on any blackberry (my Bold 9650, my cousins Torch, etc.) can easily go through the day and still have 30 or 40% battery life left.. And I'm saying a day with constant emails, texts, checking social feeds, occasional game.. The 9700 and 9780 aren't the only BlackBerries with good battery life.. I can get close to the same with my crappy 9650 and my cousin with his torch...

Funny though, because the first day of orientation during college, I met a kid that had an iphone 4. The orientation started around 8am and at about 5pm or so, his battery was down to 30 or 40%.. Even HE was complaining about it, sure he did use his phone quite a bit, but from everyone I know, the iphone4 doesn't have anywhere near as good battery life as any BlackBerry for that matter..
    I will second that. I'm completely baffled by people who claim the iPhone 4 has a comparable battery life to Blackberries. I've had the opportunity to test the iPhone 4 with exactly the same usage as my Blackberry - I would say the battery life was less than half that of the 9700, even with all battery draining features off or limited, like screen, 3G and bluetooth. When I ditched the iPhone and got a 9700, halfway into the second day I was even starting to wonder when the dayum thing was going to run out, it just kept going. I kept picking it up to kiss it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-11 02:30 PM
    A succinct and most accurate summary of "this issue"......
    ....My guess is that RIM just recently started to react to the reality of their situation.
    ...And is now in high gear playing "catch-up".

Right now RIM still has the best actual "phone", email and battery for any device.....
    ....It's playing catch up to add those things it currently can to their devices.
    ....Things that are "old hat" by now to Droid and Iphone.

If Rim is able to retain it's battery life WHEN it finally comes out with a fully flash supported phone.....
    ....AND has the BASIC APPS that makes peoples life easier with something like video chat.
    ....RIM will again be at the top of the pile.

If they don't - it will be a rather rapid death for the company......
    ...Something I hope we don't see.
    I'm sorry.. But I still don't understand why you send messages like that. Do you have a fetish for periods or something?
    Dammerung2010 likes this.
    07-25-11 02:31 PM
    lol I can't understand it either. Every one of his posts are like that. It hurts my eyes lol
    07-25-11 03:33 PM
    It's not the device, it's the network technology. CDMA devices have never gotten as good battery life as it's GSM counterparts. This is due to many factors, the main being until now RIM hasn't written it's own radio stack & used the manufacturers. If you look on the "BlackBerry" site you will see the 9650 is shown to have less talk time thanthe GSM version Bolds. The "battery life" people talk about with BlackBerry products is definitely true, at least on the GSM side.

I will second that. I'm completely baffled by people who claim the iPhone 4 has a comparable battery life to Blackberries. I've had the opportunity to test the iPhone 4 with exactly the same usage as my Blackberry - I would say the battery life was less than half that of the 9700, even with all battery draining features off or limited, like screen, 3G and bluetooth. When I ditched the iPhone and got a 9700, halfway into the second day I was even starting to wonder when the dayum thing was going to run out, it just kept going. I kept picking it up to kiss it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    My iPhone 4 gets great battery life. It gets as good battery life as my 9900 and is awful close to the battery life of the 97xx as well. As with other devices firmware updates tend to help out the power management side quite a bit.
    07-25-11 04:20 PM
    It's honestly annoying to me... I'm not the kind of person who will BEG someone to buy a BlackBerry if they are getting a new phone, but I will stick up for it and say the pros AND CONS about BlackBerries.

My friend was just buying a new phone, I told him that he should get a blackberry and he responded "Nah.. I'm not really businessy, I don't need to manage a bunch of email accounts and I really want some good apps." I didn't deny the fact that BlackBerry isn't doing so well in the APP department so he then proceeded to get some Android phone.

Guess what? The day he got it, he was carrying his old phone with him too (LG Dare) and I was like wait.. Why do you have both phones..? And he said that he texts people on the Dare and plays games and texts some people on the new Android phone.. He then proceeded to complain about how ****ty the battery was on his new phone and that he just fully charged it and it was already down to 70% The one good thing he could say about his new phone was this, and ONLY this: "I love that I can play WordGame though"

I mean if it was a 1 time deal complaining about the battery, okay.. But every time we hang out, he just proceeds to complain about how ****ty the battery life is and we have to charge his phone for a few hours whenever he comes over...

So my aunt is going to upgrade her phone and she straight out came up to me and said I have to upgrade my phone, BlackBerry or iPhone? I said, well new BlackBerries are coming out within the next few weeks and a new iPhone is coming out in a few months so if anything wait. She said well which one do you think I should get? All I said was this: "Well do you want to play a bunch of games and apps on your phone? or would you rather have a phone that just worked as a phone but managed your emails and everything extremely well." She then said that she was not planning on playing any games on her phone and she just wanted battery life (because she has an old flip phone that lasted like 2 days) and a phone that just worked.. I told her to just go for the new BlackBerry coming out. I told her I would let her play with my 9930 once I get it before she made any decisions. But she was completely SOLD on the blackberry the second I mentioned battery life.

Sorry this is long, but it's just nuts that these people say "hey this phone is like 3 years behind it's time" and everything, but howcome everyone around me that has a BlackBerry doesn't complain at all, whereas every one of my friends and family members that have an iphone, droid, etc. are doing nothing but complaining about the battery life.

RIM is doing something right, people just like to kick at them for some reason.. like they FEEL like they have the best phone because it can run great apps so therefore they have to flip out on RIM for not having crazy experimental quad cores and sh*t like some of the other competitors out there, but that does nothing but lower the longevity of the battery life when the OS itself cannot benefit from the crazy hardware...

This post is long, I'm sorry, but if even one person reads it, I will be happy. I just don't see why people have to hate on RIM so much... Just because they are doing something entirely different than their competitors they are like hated on by everyone who has never owned a BlackBerry...

The thing about tech is that new tech kills old tech.

The new craze is apps, and BB is severely lacking in this department. Other devices do email/talk/text just fine, if not better.

I've had BB's and one android device so far.

Pageonce App --> Android wins, Ebay APP --> Android wins, Bank of America App --> Android wins, etc etc.

In your story, your Aunt wants the BB while your young friend wants android. What does that say about BB? And no one who currently has a blackberry would complain because they have very low expectations of what a phone should do.
    07-25-11 04:43 PM
    The thing about tech is that new tech kills old tech.

The new craze is apps, and BB is severely lacking in this department. Other devices do email/talk/text just fine, if not better.

I've had BB's and one android device so far.

Pageonce App --> Android wins, Ebay APP --> Android wins, Bank of America App --> Android wins, etc etc.

In your story, your Aunt wants the BB while your young friend wants android. What does that say about BB? And no one who currently has a blackberry would complain because they have very low expectations of what a phone should do.
    Um.. Blackberry has an Ebay APP, a Bank of America App, and a pageonce app.. But nice try though..
    07-25-11 05:23 PM
    I'm sorry.. But I still don't understand why you send messages like that. Do you have a fetish for periods or something?

LOL, I'm glad you and Doc get a kick out of it...
    ...Something to look forward to as each new day dawns.
    07-28-11 12:35 PM
    LOL, I'm glad you and Doc get a kick out of it...
    ...Something to look forward to as each new day dawns.
    Yeah... What you just said didn't help your cause.. In a non-weird way, I think you are the strangest person on this forum. Rather than be offended, I think you should take it as a compliment
    07-28-11 01:36 PM
    Yeah... What you just said didn't help your cause.. In a non-weird way, I think you are the strangest person on this forum. Rather than be offended, I think you should take it as a compliment
    I did take it as a compliment.
    07-28-11 03:01 PM
    Um.. Blackberry has an Ebay APP, a Bank of America App, and a pageonce app.. But nice try though..
    OFC, blackberry has those apps... I was comparing the two.Lol
    07-28-11 03:08 PM
    OFC, blackberry has those apps... I was comparing the two.Lol
    The BB app for BOA does NOT support quick deposit and the same goes for Chase.
    07-29-11 12:37 AM
97 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD