Hopefully, there wont be such OS fragmentation like we see with Android.

Why can't RIM just thoroughly test a new OS update on both the 9900 and 9930, then release it to ALL the carriers for OTA updates? We now have official updates and leaked updates. On top of that, we've got different builds for different carriers.

Why such fragmentation?
    06-01-12 10:34 AM
    Different carriers have different requirements for the modules that make up their build. It is an advantage that RIM can tailor builds to carrier requirements and respond to changes requested by carriers. Leaked updates are for testing but not yet released by carriers. This is made to measure rather than one size fits all.
    06-01-12 10:43 AM
    Hopefully, there wont be such OS fragmentation like we see with Android.

Why can't RIM just thoroughly test a new OS update on both the 9900 and 9930, then release it to ALL the carriers for OTA updates? We now have official updates and leaked updates. On top of that, we've got different builds for different carriers.

Why such fragmentation?
    God forbid that we are forced into OTA OS updates, they are nothing but trouble.

BlackBerry = Quirky

Half the fun of owning a Berry for me is the constant availability of OS's to try and evaluate.
    06-01-12 10:48 AM
    It just seems to me that this approach to provide more flexibility to the carriers would only cause more quality control issues. Quality control should be centralized and RIM should be the only company that can tweak/update their own software. If a carrier tweak an update to their liking and inadvertently break something, the end user would not look at the carrier for that fault. They'd mostly likely blame the device and ultimately RIM. This is probably when Apple doesn't have 10+ iterations of iOS for their iPhone 4s.

Different carriers have different requirements for the modules that make up their build. It is an advantage that RIM can tailor builds to carrier requirements and respond to changes requested by carriers. Leaked updates are for testing but not yet released by carriers. This is made to measure rather than one size fits all.
    06-01-12 12:42 PM
    It just seems to me that this approach to provide more flexibility to the carriers would only cause more quality control issues. Quality control should be centralized and RIM should be the only company that can tweak/update their own software. If a carrier tweak an update to their liking and inadvertently break something, the end user would not look at the carrier for that fault. They'd mostly likely blame the device and ultimately RIM. This is probably when Apple doesn't have 10+ iterations of iOS for their iPhone 4s.
    Who's responsible for the carrier's network? Not RIM. Hence, each carrier must QA and then release the OS they believe works best with their network and that they are prepared to support with their consumers.

I also like the fact that I can try the "laeks"/release from other carriers to see what suits me best - not for the average Joe - sorry Joe no dis-repect meant.
    Legal Eagle and scouts36 like this.
    06-01-12 12:51 PM
    I agree that RIM is not responsible for the carrier's network. I'm not stressing the issue related to network connectivity. I've spent quite some time reading the threads and a lot of issues are related to the OS itself, which RIM, if I'm not mistaken, produced/created.

My point is if RIM centralizes the management of their software and not allow the carriers to tweak the OS to their liking, then perhaps we wouldn't have so many OS-related issues with the Bold.

I understand that leaked updates are great for those technically inclined folks interested in testing and trying out new builds. But I'm looking at things from an end user perspective who doesn't know how to install a leaked update. When my friends have issues with their Bold's, they blame it on RIM for producing such a buggy device, which is understandable. The carriers do not "make" the Bold.

Who's responsible for the carrier's network? Not RIM. Hence, each carrier must QA and then release the OS they believe works best with their network and that they are prepared to support with their consumers.

I also like the fact that I can try the "laeks"/release from other carriers to see what suits me best - not for the average Joe - sorry Joe no dis-repect meant.
    06-01-12 01:01 PM
    I don't believe RIM allow any of the carriers to tweak the OS to their liking. The centralised OS packages are released to the carriers for testing.

Due to so many manufacturers not all OS's will be tested due to lack of resource from the carriers. 99% of my colleagues tsill have the OS their phones were released with. They don't know/realise there are OS updates out there.
    Last edited by PDM; 06-01-12 at 01:46 PM.
    06-01-12 01:43 PM
    Good point. However, the fact that these OS can be install on the same model of blackberry, leaves a feeling that there isn't much differences in builds between the carriers. These differneces should manifest themselves when you install AT&T build on Roger phone.

06-01-12 02:28 PM
    Some carriers seem to be the last to release new builds. Sprint still has us on .267. I will have to say tho that I haven't had any issues with it at all so I'm in no hurry either (and that's why I haven't installed one from another carrier).
    06-01-12 06:32 PM
    Don't forget, Verizon just released .267. They are really the last ones for anything.
    06-01-12 09:25 PM
    That's because they want Sprint to fix all the bugs first. lol

Don't forget, Verizon just released .267. They are really the last ones for anything.
    06-01-12 09:39 PM
    Some carriers seem to be the last to release new builds. Sprint still has us on .267. I will have to say tho that I haven't had any issues with it at all so I'm in no hurry either (and that's why I haven't installed one from another carrier).
    Verizon, Bell Mobility, Telus, Mobilicity, among others are also still on .267. The latest doesn't always mean the greatest. I'm with AT&T who is actually the last to release so I use official releases from other carriers and my build of choice is .267. I also have not found any reason to try any other version since trying .267. It is reliable, I get strong signal, strong bluetooth connection, mobile hotspot, and no issues or bugs that I have encountered yet. IMO .267 rocks!
    Last edited by TJBB1; 06-01-12 at 10:02 PM.
    06-01-12 09:51 PM
    I wonder about the logic set out above in light of the fact that I believe there is but one iOS at any time. Developers must just love this perfusion of operating systems.
    06-02-12 05:37 AM
    What the ? Do you work for a carrier?
    06-02-12 11:53 AM
    I wonder about the logic set out above in light of the fact that I believe there is but one iOS at any time. Developers must just love this perfusion of operating systems.
    It is still only 1 operating system but different builds. This does not affect developers. What works on 1 build will work on all.
    06-02-12 12:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD