I've had my 9900 on T-mobile for a few weeks now.

I live in a non-4G supported city, yet my 9900 shows "4G". In fact it ALWAYS shows "4G" everywhere I go!

My speed tests confirm I'm only getting 3G speeds (about 1-1.5mbps down and about 1mbps UP; usb tethered, using speedtest.net and my laptop browser).

The manual that came with the 9900 identifies all of the icons and what they stand for.

There is no mention of "3G", only "4G".

Is it misleading that the 9900 can only display "4G", when there clearly isn't a 4G signal available?

Perhaps it's not possible to discern between 3G and 4G? To the device it's the same?

I really don't know. I guess I'm a little annoyed that it says 4G, but I'm not getting "4G"!

09-25-11 10:31 PM
    Mine says "3G/4G and 2G" (selected).

The only other option is "2G"
    09-25-11 10:39 PM
    There is no "3G" on this phone. The bands that use 3G are the same that use 4G (HSPA+). Therefore, automatically anywhere you have 3g, it's really HSPA+, which they call 4G.
    09-26-11 12:44 AM
    yeah, up to now there is no BB phone which has the 4G capability (LTE, in this case). what Tmobile has done is basically just to try to convince you guys that its HSPA+ network is blazingly fast therefore they can say that yes, the Bold 9900 supports 4G, but it is actually a false statement. HSPA+ is NOT a 4G platform for whatsoever.
    09-26-11 02:47 AM
    "Only get 3G".... Geez some people are never happy!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-26-11 04:10 AM
    Even LTE isnt 4G. I wish the carriers just refered to the speed of their network like we used to do with modems. Tmobile could say "the nations largest 14.4 network!" and leave it at that.

Yes the phone does say 4g when its in a 3g area so you never really know if your in an hspa+ area or not. Personally I think HSPA+ is the way the market should go because its alot nicer on batteries. My wifi at home only does about 6.6mbits a sec and that is enough to stream netflix hd so no complaints here with 14.4 on my cell phone.
    09-26-11 10:21 AM
    You get "4G" which is 3G/H+ and works faster then regular 3G speeds.
    09-26-11 11:55 AM
    There is no "3G" on this phone. The bands that use 3G are the same that use 4G (HSPA+). Therefore, automatically anywhere you have 3g, it's really HSPA+, which they call 4G.
    This is not completely correct. While it IS true that 3G & 4G operate on the same frequencies, the fact is that T-Mobile has not deployed HSPA+ everywhere.

A lot of T-Mobile's service area is still only under UMTS/HSDPA (3G) coverage which is NOT 4G in any shape way or form. So, T-Mobile having RIM tweak their 9900 software build so that it only displays 4G, even when not in an HSPA+ area, is technically false advertising. But it's the same thing AT&T did when the ITU said it was ok to advertise HSPA+ as 4G. Their "4G" phones also only show an H+ icon that only changes when coverage drops down to EDGE, or "2G".
    09-26-11 01:16 PM
    i live in nyc and am T-Mobile. My phone, more often than not, displays the 4G symbol and it is MUCH faster than 3G, though i've never tested the speed. Occasionally it will display the EDGE symbol. Because of the tremendous increase in speed, I've been doing much more web-surfing from my phone.
    09-26-11 02:39 PM
    You should try a tethered speed test. Tether using a USB cable, then hit speedtest.net on your laptop or desktop and see what you get (making sure wifi or ethernet is disabled/unplugged).

I think NYC is a 4G deployed city, so maybe you are actually getting "4G" speeds, but a real test would confirm that.

Your phone will NEVER show "3G", because it doesn't have that option available in it's core software thanks to BB/T-mobile tweaking...

Personally, I think it's false advertising that the 9900 from T-mobile can't display the difference between HSDPA ("3G") and HSPA+ "4G" on the display. Even just a "+" symbol would let us know.

i live in nyc and am T-Mobile. My phone, more often than not, displays the 4G symbol and it is MUCH faster than 3G, though i've never tested the speed. Occasionally it will display the EDGE symbol. Because of the tremendous increase in speed, I've been doing much more web-surfing from my phone.
    09-28-11 03:02 PM
    This is not completely correct. While it IS true that 3G & 4G operate on the same frequencies, the fact is that T-Mobile has not deployed HSPA+ everywhere.

A lot of T-Mobile's service area is still only under UMTS/HSDPA (3G) coverage which is NOT 4G in any shape way or form. So, T-Mobile having RIM tweak their 9900 software build so that it only displays 4G, even when not in an HSPA+ area, is technically false advertising. But it's the same thing AT&T did when the ITU said it was ok to advertise HSPA+ as 4G. Their "4G" phones also only show an H+ icon that only changes when coverage drops down to EDGE, or "2G".
    Interesting. I don't doubt you but I do question it. Are you sure there are area's in which have HSDPA but not HSPA+?
    09-28-11 03:57 PM
    Interesting. I don't doubt you but I do question it. Are you sure there are area's in which have HSDPA but not HSPA+?
    Oh absolutely, don't doubt it for one second! There are areas that aren't even covered by UMTS/HSDPA and are still to this day under EDGE (2G) only. And it's not just T-Mobile, the same holds true for AT&T, as well as the CDMA carriers Verizon & Sprint. They don't have EVDO (3G) coverage everywhere and have to fall back on 1X-RTT (2G). Carriers are always in the process of building out their networks.

Just because a network has HSPA+, or WiMax, or LTE; doesn't mean it's available everywhere automatically. Fortunately for the carriers, they know that the average consumer doesn't know all of the technicalities, and definitions, and are therefore not concerned about being called out on their false advertisements.
    09-28-11 04:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD