I didn't think the no-AF camera would be a big deal but I've found it to be a real problem. The camera sucks, IMO. I'm sure lots of folks will show me their great photos but so far I've had nothing but duds. All my pics have been terrible. Recently I was trying to take a picture (with detail) of something close up and couldn't get anything usable at all. I had a camera on my Treo in 2003 that was better than this.

I could live without AF if there was some sort of manual focus that allowed me to choose the focal point. But there isn't any. I've found the scene selections to be basically useless. Even the face detector doesn't seem to help with focusing.

Any chance they can fix this with software upgrade or 3rd party apps?
    08-22-11 07:45 PM
    I agree the camera is the worst part about the phone. Almost to the point of being usless.
    08-22-11 07:49 PM
    That's what an EDOF camera is, it's fixed focus. It doesn't have the parts to adjust it's focus.
    08-22-11 07:54 PM
    like twig said, this lens module literally has no moving parts
    08-22-11 08:04 PM
    I have been playing around with mine for few days and it takes pretty good shots compared to my droid with a 8MP camera. Any phone camera is just that a phone camera even my droids pictures hurt when there is a lack of natural lighting. I have taken some beautiful shots with this phone. Don't listen to the constant complainers here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    lewisc1979, tkong and houshinto#IM like this.
    08-22-11 08:05 PM
    If I want to take good pictures I use my Canon.
    08-22-11 08:10 PM
    hhahaha apparently the OP doesnt know how camera lenses work, and even if he did -- how the heck would they impliment MANUAL focus on a smartphone?? have you ever used a DSLR, OP? focus rings are neither small, inexpensive, or quick to use... thats why we got the EDoF cam-- people were b*tchin about how "long it takes to focus blah blah blah" and "it never focuses correctly, wahhh!" so essentially, the community got what they asked for and are STILL unhappy about it. seriously -- if the picture is that important then carry around a point+shoot or a DSLR; it may not be as convenient as using it on your bb, but at least you cant complain about picture quality.
    08-22-11 08:11 PM
    Well said smijes
    08-22-11 10:04 PM
    I Really miss the auto focus function on the 9700.
    08-22-11 10:09 PM
    Is the auto-focus function related hardware or software?
    08-22-11 10:11 PM
    Hardware. AF lenses require more space for the mechanical moving parts and the lens travel, and it consumes more energy to move said parts during focusing. It slows response time down on the camera and works better with a 2-stage button. Manual focus would require the same moving parts plus additional moving parts such as a jog wheel and accompanying linkage to the lens. All delicate parts which would probably fail regularly on a phone. Would you really want a rotating bezel sticking out of your phone just for taking a slightly-less blurry party pic?

Last edited by rrrebo; 08-22-11 at 10:20 PM.
    08-22-11 10:17 PM
    hhahaha apparently the OP doesnt know how camera lenses work, and even if he did -- how the heck would they impliment MANUAL focus on a smartphone?? have you ever used a DSLR, OP? focus rings are neither small, inexpensive, or quick to use... thats why we got the EDoF cam-- people were b*tchin about how "long it takes to focus blah blah blah" and "it never focuses correctly, wahhh!" so essentially, the community got what they asked for and are STILL unhappy about it. seriously -- if the picture is that important then carry around a point+shoot or a DSLR; it may not be as convenient as using it on your bb, but at least you cant complain about picture quality.
    I'm sorry to inform you, but Bold 99xx owners got the EDoF camera so RIM could make the device as thin as they possibly could. Not because they received thousands of complaints of how slow the autofocus is/was. Ever think having to step back, use digital zoom, the snap is the equivalent of just snapping with the autofocus?
    Anyways, that's not even the point. The bottom line is EDoF was used to get the device as slim as possible. Although others are even slimmer with autofocus. Says a lot about the engineering eh? If the EDoF was so dang good, and it's implementation was because of slow autofocus complaints, then why isn't it in the 9850/9860 and the new 9810?? That's right, it's not because having the device as slim as possible wasn't a priority on those devices.

Look, I'm fine with the 99xx. I'm not hot about the camera. That's cool. And while I and others can look past it , doesn't mean others can/should too. It may be a deal breaker for others and that's fine. It doesn't affect me and neither should it you. But let's not get the facts twisted in why there is a EDoF in the thinnest BlackBerry device ever, and why there isn't in the others.
    howarmat, rrrebo, pythons and 4 others like this.
    08-22-11 10:21 PM
    Wow...so many people who want autofocus, and have no clue what it is. EDoF works perfectly and takes gorgeous pictures on my 9900! So many haters here...they seem to jump on the bandwagon simply for the sake of ********...gee. If it isn't the camera, then it's the edge on the screen, or the metal around the phone, or some other stupid thing. Buy an iPHONE and go whine there instead...
    08-22-11 10:25 PM
    If I want to take good pictures I use my Canon.
    Not to point you out or anything, but I hate that excuse. If that's the case why don't they just save money and more space and not incorporate a camera at all

08-22-11 10:34 PM
    Fanboy

Just because the camera took too long to auto focus, doesn't mean you take away the capability itself..

Terrible logic >_<
    bhavi_jp and jonathon.94 like this.
    08-22-11 10:37 PM
    too bad, this is the set back
    08-22-11 10:40 PM
    the lack of auto focus truly sucks. im very disappointed by it but if it was to make the device slim then okay. but like crucial x said it says a lot anout the engineering when other devices have it and are thinner. only reason i wont go out kicking and screaming is

1. i have an iphone 4 on my second line.

2. i was given this phone for free by telus WITHOUT signing a contract.
    08-22-11 10:50 PM
    i want to add that a bigger problem than the auto focus is the fact that the battery is absolutely horrible. the worst bb battery so far.

EDIT: worst of the phones i have used which include pearl 8130, curve 8330, tour 9630, bold 9700 and now bold 9900.
    08-22-11 10:52 PM
    I love my Bold 9900 for it's superior speed and keyboard as that's what I use more, Browsing, typing, emailing.

I rarely take pictures but would like to be able to take proper pictures when there is a need or a special occasion.

That said, those people b***tching about the camera have every right and to all those who are saying camera a camera with you if you want to take photos go screw yourself and stop defending RIM. Just admit it! It won't take away any of your pride!

The camera sucks on close ups, not a point where it is not even usable.

The camera is OK, (not as great as the previous AF cameras ) in distance photos

The HD video recording sucks and is no way HD quality, I tried it, lens with clean, the video was smooth when moving, but the picture is a bit grainy.

That said, I don't really care about the above because I rarely use the camera, but don't go on hiding the truth and telling people to carry a digital camera with them when this phone costs an arm and a leg and is using a a camera from 2000

I consider my 9900 a phone without a camera, simple as that and I continue to use and enjoy it.
    08-22-11 11:05 PM
    Not to point you out or anything, but I hate that excuse. If that's the case why don't they just save money and more space and not incorporate a camera at all

I agree 100%. If RIM or any company for that matter puts out a product with a terrible feature then people have a right to complain/warn others.

Not all of us can afford a solid camera and/or feel like carrying our BlackBerry, PlayBook AND a camera around.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    anon(4021844) likes this.
    08-22-11 11:13 PM
    I agree 100%. If RIM or any company for that matter puts out a product with a terrible feature then people have a right to complain/warn others.

Not all of us can afford a solid camera and/or feel like carrying our BlackBerry, PlayBook AND a camera around.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    AF does take better pictures, in most cases significantly better pictures...
    ...RIM should NOT have taken the low road here - the excuse about making the device thinn.
    ...Is only an affirmation of their lack of ability to do what Apple and Droid are doing.
    ...They have AF in their devices and in many cases they are as thin or thinner.
    08-22-11 11:58 PM
    I'm sorry to inform you, but Bold 99xx owners got the EDoF camera so RIM could make the device as thin as they possibly could. Not because they received thousands of complaints of how slow the autofocus is/was. Ever think having to step back, use digital zoom, the snap is the equivalent of just snapping with the autofocus?
    Anyways, that's not even the point. The bottom line is EDoF was used to get the device as slim as possible. Although others are even slimmer with autofocus. Says a lot about the engineering eh? If the EDoF was so dang good, and it's implementation was because of slow autofocus complaints, then why isn't it in the 9850/9860 and the new 9810?? That's right, it's not because having the device as slim as possible wasn't a priority on those devices.

Look, I'm fine with the 99xx. I'm not hot about the camera. That's cool. And while I and others can look past it , doesn't mean others can/should too. It may be a deal breaker for others and that's fine. It doesn't affect me and neither should it you. But let's not get the facts twisted in why there is a EDoF in the thinnest BlackBerry device ever, and why there isn't in the others.
    I think you BOTH have a point and its also the "This phone is so bulky" complaints that also led to this compromise. Personally, I'm not a fan of form over function...
    08-23-11 12:11 AM
    I always find it funny when I hear people ohh and aww about a 5,6,7,8mp camera. Its not about the mp I always say its more about how it takes pictures.
    My 3.2 on my 9650 kills my friends evo with an 8.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    08-23-11 12:19 AM
    This arguing is plain stupid! All of a sudden, if u say the phone takes crappy pics, then your a moron and have no idea how a camera works, and you get blasted by people saying get over it and use a real camera. I'll make this pretty simple for all those that are against the people who think the camera sucks. IT DOES!!! Plain and simple, without auto focus it sucks! My Bold 9700 was awesome as far as taking pictures go, the 9930 can't hold a candle to it! So yes, RIM should have found a way to get auto focus in this phone. The iphone is thinner, and it's camera blows this camera away? Its a BS excuse, someone said it right, this questions RIMS's engineering dept!

Does this make the phone a POS...absolutly not!!! Its an awesome phone, but yes the lack of Auto focus is a real bummer, and should have never been left out! Case Closed...there is no arguing this fact!

anon(4021844) and imcurved like this.
    08-23-11 12:31 AM
    Well, not sure how this works, and I could be totally wrong, but my iPod Touch 4th gen is thinner than the 9930 and has a camera that I assume is lacking any sort of focus. It does shoot 720p video, but the camera is pretty bad (horrible if you zoom with it), but if you tap the screen a little box appears and kinda brings the area you tapped on into focus a bit more (works with both the video recording and still picture camera).

Is the iPod Touch just a manual focus camera, or is it like the 9930's EDoF?
    08-23-11 01:20 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD