For those of you who may have been a part of the original conversation or kept an eye on it, here's what happened:

The phone was delivered to my workplace on Wednesday, as scheduled. In my hands before noon. I was pretty busy with work, and for whatever reason, couldn't come to the decision to actually decline the package. Screw the restocking fee. I spent the rest of the work day not even thinking there was a 9930 in a box sitting there waiting to be opened. I didn't open it after work either. I waited for my bedtime to actually do it. Go figure.

Screw the restocking fee. Enough people had great opinions of this phone, and poor impressions of demo devices to convince me to give the phone in the box some love. So I opened it. I removed the top of the box, and the Bold was right there. Looking pretty. Hot, actually. It was plain lovely. I proceeded to remove the contents of the box and organize them over the mess on my desk. Backed up all the info on my Storm2 and prepared for transport. I was awake til 4am preparing it to get me through the next day.

I was extremely comfortable carrying this phone around by lunchtime that next day. I purchased BeBuzz and a new case by the time I was ready for dinner. The Shell/Holster Combo with Kickstand I found at the Verizon store is the coolest case I've ever found for a phone. Sleek & sexy, love the way it feels and the coolest case I've seen for the 9930 so far.

To address my criticisms of this device from the original post: There is no sharp edge on the metal band my thumb detected on the demo. This device is just plain hot. I know 2 people that already want this phone, plan to purchase this phone, after just having looking at and holding my phone for less than a minute. Touchscreen: solid, as many of you pointed out. Pinch-to-zoom also solid.

Camera: I gotta say. its pretty great actually. And as far as photographing documents? Try the setting for photographing text with a white backround. Ta-da! Yeah, no complaints about the camera.

I'm still a bit rusty going back to the physical keyboard, though. The sweet-*** keyboard that it is. I do miss a couple of things from my Storm2, however. I miss holding the shift button down that extra interval to initiate a numbers lock. Also, the period "." on the S2 was on the main display next to the M, so most of my periods still get typed out as an M on the Bold cuz I'm not hitting the shift key first. Can't wait to get over that.

As far as apps go: yeah. Sucks. WeatherBug, not there. Directv DVR remote, downloaded it from Directv, didn't work, deleted it. The Hockey News, not available. Quicklaunch, not available. And the worst of all, but seems to happen with each new BB, no Ka-Glam. I am without my beloved daily puzzle for who knows how long again. I tried to make up for it by downloading the 3D Rollercoaster game, but it wouldn't install. The initial install seemed to work, but when I had to connect to a wi-fi network to download a massive amount of data, the progress bar would fail to show progress as the task seemed to be in an idol. Sometimes it got as far as the unzip process, but again, wouldn't follow through. Woke up later that morning, and the install was still sitting looking pathetic, so I gave up trying. No time for that. Yeah, the phone isn't much more than a phone yet, but a damn fine phone it is.

Great speaker. Music sounds pretty great if you don't have your headphones, or a system nearby. Surprise bonus. Call quality is as reliable as ever. No antenna-gate here.

All-in-all, the best phone I've ever owned. Picking up my Storm2 again ... it is officially retired. I'm still dreaming about 4G download speeds and hotspot service, but as someone pointed out in the original thread, this phone is definitely an upgrade. Maybe a 4G tablet with a GPS and HotSpot will be in my future. We decided to wait til after the wedding to reward ourselves with a Tablet. She still wants the iPad. I have no idea what I'll get.

Finally, though, its been a long time since I've been excited about my phone. Hopefully, there's much more on the way to get excited about.

Peace out, all. Got a wedding to get excited about now! Thanks for all the helpful advice and die-hard attitudes that keep BlackBerry & CrackBerry thriving through some not-so-easy-times!
    Last edited by deke09; 08-29-11 at 11:52 PM.
    JenFromMars likes this.
    08-29-11 11:22 PM
    pressing space twice gives you a period.

alt and left shift is numlock.

alt and right shift is caps lock.

a bit more,
    after highlighting something, alt and trackball click is copy,
    left shift and click is paste.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-11 11:29 PM
    pressing space twice gives you a period.

alt and left shift is numlock.

alt and right shift is caps lock.

a bit more,
    after highlighting something, alt and trackball click is copy,
    left shift and click is paste.

Thanks, kindly. I'm aware. Its still a frustrating habit to break though. I keep pressing the M when I want a period. End of sentence, not a problem. The double-space is easier to get used to again. But, I think I manually entered a period followed by a space bar often with the storm, cuz it was comfortable to type out in a 1-2 combination rather than hitting the same button twice. As far as the trackpad, its so nice to have one again. I soooo missed the trackball/trackpad.
    Last edited by deke09; 08-29-11 at 11:45 PM.
    08-29-11 11:33 PM
    Cheers to the 9930!
    08-29-11 11:41 PM
    Wum

08-29-11 11:48 PM
    QuickLaunch actually is available for BB7.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...evices-640780/
    deke09 likes this.
    08-30-11 12:13 AM
    good to hear! I am planning on purchasing mine sometime this week.
    08-30-11 12:27 AM
    QuickLaunch actually is available for BB7.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...evices-640780/
    Sweet, thanks!

Michelle Haag likes this.
    08-30-11 12:38 AM
    Happy ending. Now you need to update "Device Model" in your profile.
    Good luck with the wedding!
    08-30-11 01:13 AM
    Are you getting married to your 9930? You guys are going to have a bunch of cute little children...Pearls and Styles!!

Congrats!
    08-30-11 05:11 AM
    Happy ending. Now you need to update "Device Model" in your profile.
    Indeed. Good call!

08-30-11 07:01 AM
    Now the posts in this thread are a lot kinder to the OP than his previous post.
    08-30-11 07:22 AM
    Awesome! I'm glad u decided to keep it and give it a try. Last week 5 friends of mine ditched their phones...to get the 9930...FYI...they had to order online...as sprint/verizon stores in our area are sold out on them...

08-30-11 07:31 AM
    Awesome! I'm glad u decided to keep it and give it a try. Last week 5 friends of mine ditched their phones...to get the 9930...FYI...they had to order online...as sprint/verizon stores in our area are sold out on them...

The reason that no one has it in store is because they didn't order enough ... No carrier has a lot of faith in blackberry products right now... A real shame but it is hard to blame them
    08-30-11 08:24 AM
    "Mazel Tov !"(Stamps Glass)
    08-30-11 08:28 AM
    I can't agree with u...this phone is selling good...when tmo and att release it...even more sales for this phone

08-30-11 08:33 AM
    This is a perfect example of people that come onto these forums to take a steamer all over something they know very little about.

Give something a chance before you blindly hate on a product that most of us on this forum truly enjoy.

I'm happy you finally pulled it together and made a very wise decision. The force is strong in you my young jedi.
    08-30-11 08:37 AM
    deke,
    The Shell/Holster Combo with Kickstand I found at the Verizon store is the coolest case I've ever found for a phone. Sleek & sexy, love the way it feels and the coolest case I've seen for the 9930 so far.

Can you provide more detail review with pictures how this actually looks close-up? VZW pictures for this case is not good.
    thanks
    08-30-11 08:39 AM
    Who cares....Really.

Get on with your life dude, seriously.
    08-30-11 09:04 AM
    deke,
    The Shell/Holster Combo with Kickstand I found at the Verizon store is the coolest case I've ever found for a phone. Sleek & sexy, love the way it feels and the coolest case I've seen for the 9930 so far.

Can you provide more detail review with pictures how this actually looks close-up? VZW pictures for this case is not good.
    thanks
    I'd love to. I'll work something up soon!

08-30-11 11:06 AM
    Who cares....Really.

Get on with your life dude, seriously.
    Its always a pleasure to receive keen insight from those who don't care. You're the best.

08-30-11 11:12 AM
    Its always a pleasure to receive keen insight from those who don't care. You're the best.

You are right...My apologies.

I do LOVE my 9930!...Glad we are on the same page now.
    deke09 likes this.
    08-30-11 11:28 AM
    You are right...My apologies.

I do LOVE my 9930!...Glad we are on the same page now.
    Right on. I can't believe how much I love this thing. It kinda pi**es me off thinking about how many people may not have purchased one for themselves after playing with the same junk demo in the Verizon store I visited. Its not helping the cause.

08-30-11 10:29 PM
    deke,

thanks
    Ok, I checked out the product page for it on the Verizon website. Its fair to say I wouldn't be able to photograph my phone to provide you with a better view than what the images show on Verizon's page. My wedding being only 4 days away...

I can assure you, however, this case looks better on the phone sitting on my desk than it does on the product page. It grips the phone firmly like a glove and provides a substantial amount of resistance when attempting to remove it. Its very secure. It may expose some of the metal band, but I've got no problem with that. I like seeing it. Way sexier. Plus, when I tried on some other skins that covered up the buttons i couldn't feel them anymore. Didn't work for me.

The case itself feels great. The rubber is not too firm, but its definitely not too soft or bouncy, either. Basically, when the guy at the store removed it from its box it made me raise an eyebrow. And it was sold as soon as I snapped it onto my phone. I never took it off. The kickstand isn't going to hold it in place like a charging dock, but its still a cool feature to have when I'm eating lunch at work and checking out a vid. The other half of the case with the belt clip attached doesn't interest me since I don't wear my phone on my belt. It is a nice cozy cover for the face of the device, though, so I'll keep it around for traveling.

All I can say is no other case I've seen advertised for the 9900/9930 comes close to it. No other case for any other phone I've ever owned has impressed me as much, either.

I'd recommend visiting a Verizon store if you want a closer look.
    Last edited by deke09; 08-31-11 at 01:06 AM.
    08-31-11 12:49 AM
    Yeah RIM knocked it out of the park for all the longtime BlackBerry fans. And I think the 9900/9930 especially will gain RIM some share or greatly slow the loss of it.

08-31-11 02:59 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD