06-01-11 04:31 PM
61 123
tools
    Rida - how is that Vyke working for you?

http://i.imgur.com/P9Oh1.png
    05-11-11 05:17 AM
    I am also a Skype frequenter, and we do have access to Skype in the UK. But it is locked to a carrier that doesn't do 30-day contracts for BlackBerrys, and given my phone is the Torch, PAYG won't cut it... Yeah, we're talking 3-UK. I refuse to drop O2 for that company (trust me, everyone I know on 3 across the country says it is absolute rubbish). Everyone else is out in the cold. And yeah, I reckon LiveProfile, PingChat, etc, are gonna be removed because it could hurt RIM... It's well known that Jim and Mike are muppets. They need to stop being so egotistical and accept that allowing these apps means other developers may develop for BB and hence they get a bigger app count which makes them MORE APPEALING. I'm probably gonna drop to Android next unless RIM get their stuff straight.
    05-11-11 05:28 AM
    Given that there is a Skype app for verizon blackberries they quite clearly have the access they need, it isn't Rim's fault that Skype took a nice bundle of cash from VZW to limit it to their devices now is it.
    The fact is that Skype works with Verizon BBerries and on certain other BBerries abroad show that it's a carrier exclusivity issue, not a BB issue. The fact is that RIM is a business that would, as businesses do, eliminate competing features on their devices.

These are facts that are not in play here, since the intended point of the thread is to simply voice discontent against RIM. Alternatives are offered and discounted. Nothing to be done, simply move on, as police usually say when you drive up to an accident on the highway.

He's already using Skype via IM+Talk for Skype on his 9000.

From another thread:
    What memory limitation?
    I'm still using my Bold 9000. It looks like new, given I've changed it's trackball, back cover and battery and always had a protective sticker on the screen and kept it in it's pouch.

Anyway - memory limitation? What limitation?
    Tell me something you can do with your Bold 9780 and I can't do with my Bold 9000.

I had a Bold 9780 for 2 weeks, other than taking "better pictures" I found it the same.

OS 6 ? Yay - new icons and a bit of browser speed.

I'm running on my Bold 9000 everything a person uses.
    I use GMAIL for mail, Google Maps, Google Sync, Twitter, Facebook, Yahoo Mobile, Nimbuzz, IM+ Talk (for Skype),
    Battery Booster, LiveProfile, Wordpress app, XE (a currency exchange app), Snaptu, AP Mobile News, Who is it LED changer, Multi Alarms, lynkee (barcode scanner), Blackberry app world and a few others I can't recall right now.

The phone is blazing fast, doesn't hang and works like a charm.
    I have it updated to the latest .1067 OS - battery holds like new (cuz you know, it is new).

Also, due to the fact that I'm not in the U.S, I'm using it on orange in Europe without BIS and everything except BBM and BB Maps and ofc push e-mail works on it. Everything. (Yes, 3G also).

Give me free BIS and I wouldn't use any of the above, simply because LiveProfile is better - it connects me with my iPhone and Android friends.
    Google Maps is better - it integrates better with everything give I use a lot of google products plus there's Google Latitude.
    Push e-mail annoys me - I don't get very "urgent" e-mails and I prefer manually checking e-mail whenever I'm out and bored instead of receiving e-mails 24/7.

So there you go.
    I'm holding on on my Bold 9000 until it BREAKS DOWN FOREVER.
    As long as I can replace parts in it, I'll have it.

THATS LOVE.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 05-11-11 at 06:49 AM.
    05-11-11 06:26 AM
    Well with the recent deeper partnership between RIM and Microsoft, and Microsoft buying Skype, maybe you'll be able to make free Skype to Skype calls or now everyone will have to pay one way or another to make Skype to Skype calls.
    Microsift buying Skype for $8.5 billion.

From CB front page:

As we know it right now, Skype has really never had much of an impact on the BlackBerry world considering their app is a Verizon exclusive and despite having announced it in the past as being made available for all, that has never actually come to light. If these rumors turn out to be true and the deal gets locked down, it could break the Verizon exclusivity and hopefully bring Skype to not only BlackBerry smartphones but to the BlackBerry PlayBook as well. We'll have to sit back and watch it all unfold but, fun to ponder the ideas while we wait that's for sure.
    This.

Microsoft is working with RIM on the Bing stuff, and I have a strong suspicion that the next project they'll be working on together is a Skype App for the latest RIM devices including the Playbook.

RIM can really take over the IM market too if they release official BBM apps for both android and iOS. They wouldn't have to remove apps like kik, all the other apps would die a painful death.
    05-11-11 08:35 AM
    Rida - how is that Vyke working for you?
    If Vyke doesn't work for you, try this... Low cost calls and VoIP for Blackberry | MO-Call
    05-11-11 09:41 AM
    Does it have to be voip on your mobile phone? I have voip set up through the wiring in my house to an ATA adapter. I pay on average (its paygo) like $25cdn every 6 months. Pretty cheap international rates, and free calls between people that are using the same voip company (voip.ms)
    05-11-11 10:06 AM
    RIM can really take over the IM market too if they release official BBM apps for both android and iOS. They wouldn't have to remove apps like kik, all the other apps would die a painful death.
    They already confirmed that this isn't happening.
    05-11-11 11:26 AM
    I found it: the perfect replacement for the BB Bold 9900.
    Here it is: DROID Pro by MOTOROLA - Business Cell Phone - Experience - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

Tell me why shouldn't I get this phone.
    05-11-11 04:37 PM
    Here it is: DROID Pro by MOTOROLA - Business Cell Phone - Experience - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

You should go get it. I tried it at the Verizon store and it sucked. The keyboard was insanely uncomfortable and unacceptable.
    Funny, I'm typing this post now using my old deactivated AT&T 9000, there's nothing like the keyboard that you will experience once you try this 99XX.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    dodger_moore likes this.
    05-11-11 04:50 PM

if that's what you want, go for it!

i mentioned verizon and skype mobile, not because i expected you to use it, but to show that it's not RIM and BlackBerry that can't as the Verizon BlackBerry devices do this.

But if another phone meets your needs, by all means, enjoy it. No one should be telling you "why you should get a phone". We can only provide pros and cons to keeping BlackBerry or going with another OS.

Whatever you do choose, I hope you like and enjoy it =)
    05-11-11 04:52 PM

If voip is a dealbreaker, then go ahead. Seems like a decent phone.

although the resolution is a bit low, and i hear the keyboard isn't up to par.
    05-11-11 05:19 PM

I considered getting that several few months ago when my contract was up. It's a decent mid to mid-high end Android-powered phone if you're looking for something with a keyboard. A friend of mine picked one up and from what we've compared though, the battery definitely runs out of juice quicker than my 9700. I also felt the resolution was a little low given its physical screen size.

As much as I want something new, I've still been holding out for the 9900.
    05-11-11 06:55 PM
    Sorry in advance. 2 soup cans and a very, very long string! Hahaha!

dodger_moore and Bobcat665 like this.
    05-11-11 11:57 PM
    I know it's not free international calling but it's a much more reliable calling/half voip solution to skype, try Vopium app in the Appworld. Skype only works where you have a good 3G signal, it will not work over gprs or edge. Vopium works from anywhere and I find it very reliable and quite cheap and the advantage is you call actual numbers not skype identity. Compared to Skype prices for the same service it's a lot cheaper, roughly half price especially for calling mobile numbers.

05-12-11 03:17 AM
    Not productive at all.
    05-12-11 07:09 PM
    Maybe CrackBerry should add a "Thanks for Leaving" button...
    05-12-11 07:24 PM
    Maybe CrackBerry should add a "Thanks for Leaving" button...
    Why, nobody really tends to actually leave...
    05-12-11 08:52 PM

Lol. It is an obvious attempt by Moto to take users from RIM by imitating it's products. I find no reason to want an imitation when there are plenty of great BB phones. But that's just me. If you'll note there are lots of phones that have tried to copy RIM's keyboards. For whatever reasons none seem to gain traction in the market.
    05-12-11 08:58 PM

You should not get it because the form factor is rotten. Tried it myself. BB has the form factor down man. Droid Pro = FAIL.

05-12-11 11:02 PM
    Lol. It is an obvious attempt by Moto to take users from RIM by imitating it's products. I find no reason to want an imitation when there are plenty of great BB phones. But that's just me. If you'll note there are lots of phones that have tried to copy RIM's keyboards. For whatever reasons none seem to gain traction in the market.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I personally love my Droid Pro. There are some things about it that are so far beyond BB capabilities, but yet, there are some things at which the BB is still the best.

Droid Pro advantages over 9650 Bold:
    Full web browsing, fast, full internet with flash
    Touch screen makes using the device so much easier
    email not truncated
    no battery pulls or memory leaks
    app management - download and install big apps in seconds, no reboots needed
    OS developer support - these things can be tweaked in just about every way imaginable - core functions of the device can be customized - differs from hybrid or beta os on BB which are just packages of RIM-created code.

BB advantages over Droid Pro -
    keyboard is still the best, although the DP keyboard is certainly usable as a daily workhorse
    integrated mailbox
    communication is fast, efficient
    keyboard shortcuts in all the stock apps are awesome
    physical call and end buttons
    battery life

These are all just my opinions, and with the 9930, the touch screen advantage for the DP is gone, and I'm hoping the browsing will at least be tolerable compared to my 9650 and 9630. I'll never debate the quality of a BB keyboard (not the curve style-blechhhhhh, just the bold and tour styles). Best messaging and communication devices out there. RIM just needs to add a real browser and app management, and it could really pull some people back from Android and iOS.

To the OP - get over it. A platform doesn't have the service you need, so go to another platform that does. I really doubt any manufacturer will build a device that does everything for everyone.
    05-20-11 02:29 PM

If you like the phone, then get it.

CrackBerry is not here to convince people that everything RIM has to offer is the best thing in the world ever. It is to help provide others with details about Blackberry smart-phones and how it compares to others. It also is to share each others' experiences and opinions on things and how to deal and fix issues with the smart-phones. We all know that RIM has been in a slump lately and we acknowledge that. Love or hate the brand, the main gurus of CrackBerry has welcomed everyone and helped everyone in whichever direction they desired to go in.

As for my opinion... First thing, it's a Motorola. I have had my experiences with Motorola and I will never go back. Another thing is, security, RIM's Blackberry Smart-phones are way more secure too. Third is that I text a lot and NO phone beats the Bold 9000 keyboard... yet. What I am hearing is that they bought the Bold 9000 keyboard back on the Bold 9900 and made it even better.

One more thing to point out, it's not on shelves yet, so who knows if they added/changed anything to the specs since the newest information has been leaked? With that said, how can you truly compare the two?

That is just me. Again, if you don't want the Bold 9900, that is fine, we will not try to keep you here. This community is out to help others with any information they seek. Good Luck on your selection.
    05-20-11 03:37 PM
    sg8330 RIM is not allowing Skype to function on their handset, just like the other apps I mentioned.

It's not about the carrier, it has nothing to do with the carrier. Skype-to-Skype calls, via Wi-Fi. Simple - where does the carrier enter in this equation? No where.

Nimbuzz response was this:

"We cannot provide Nimbuzz to Nimbuzz calls between two BlackBerry terminals or a BlackBerry terminal and a PC. We hope we can provide this for our fans in the near future if Research in Motion will decide to release the API."

That's what I got from them.
    Wow! Seems like "Blackberry" is really "blackballing" when it comes to apps that'll make the users lives a little simpler. What's messed up is that they would probably go up quite a bit in popularity, and cut the surge of abandonment from BB to Iphone
    05-20-11 06:21 PM
    I love my BlackBerry, but RIM are stupid. Their phones have SO MUCH FRIGGIN POTENTIAL and they don't even take advantage of it!! Why would they not allow skype, damn it!
    05-28-11 05:36 PM

No pointing device, no wired headset jack.
    05-28-11 06:14 PM
    No pointing device, no wired headset jack.
    Huh? The pointing device is the finger and the headset jack is on top.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk
    05-28-11 06:17 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD