Because I moved to Sweden and I'm paying ****loads of money to talk with my family left back home - all this because BlackBerry won't allow Skype to run on their terminals.

I've been waiting for over 2 years - I've had it.
    Are you kidding me? Skype is working on a SAMSUNG CORBY! A 50$ phone with a Java based OS! You can make free Skype-to-Skype calls with a Samsung Corby, but not with a top-notch BlackBerry terminal.

This has to end.

I would have tried other options, but BlackBerry is cutting the ropes on everything.

Just like they did with KiK.
    Just like they won't allow Nimbuzz-to-Nimbuzz calls.
    Just like they did with fring.

The list goes on. As soon as an app that allows me to be called from a computer, directly to my mobile phone, over the internet, is released, RIM cuts the cable and puff. It's gone.

Everybody around me is receiving calls from back home, over the internet, for free, for the past 2 years, on their iPhones, Symbians, SAMSUNG FRIGGIN CORBY and even BADA OS?

This. Ends. Now.
    P.S - I wonder how long until LiveProfile suffers the same faith as KiK.
    Last edited by pifexx; 05-10-11 at 01:41 PM.
    squished18 likes this.
    05-10-11 01:39 PM
    if you have access to the internet then why not just put skype on your computer and use a headset?
    05-10-11 01:47 PM
    you go girl.
    05-10-11 01:49 PM
    Well with the recent deeper partnership between RIM and Microsoft, and Microsoft buying Skype, maybe you'll be able to make free Skype to Skype calls or now everyone will have to pay one way or another to make Skype to Skype calls.
    hdizzle likes this.
    05-10-11 01:52 PM
    maybe people should think before posting such idiocy. how is RIM supposed to change mobile carriers' data rates and influence what they allow/don't allow?

newsflash: RIM makes phones. The End.
    05-10-11 02:00 PM
    sg8330 RIM is not allowing Skype to function on their handset, just like the other apps I mentioned.

It's not about the carrier, it has nothing to do with the carrier. Skype-to-Skype calls, via Wi-Fi. Simple - where does the carrier enter in this equation? No where.

Nimbuzz response was this:

"We cannot provide Nimbuzz to Nimbuzz calls between two BlackBerry terminals or a BlackBerry terminal and a PC. We hope we can provide this for our fans in the near future if Research in Motion will decide to release the API."

That's what I got from them.
    jinxednuance likes this.
    05-10-11 02:41 PM
    to the OP, just get something else that's not a BlackBerry.
    all the other manufacturer's especially Apple have ZERO problems or whatsoever.
    05-10-11 02:53 PM
    sg8330 RIM is not allowing Skype to function on their handset, just like the other apps I mentioned.

It's not about the carrier, it has nothing to do with the carrier. Skype-to-Skype calls, via Wi-Fi. Simple - where does the carrier enter in this ecuation? No where.

"We cannot provide Nimbuzz to Nimbuzz calls between two BlackBerry terminals or a BlackBerry terminal and a PC. We hope we can provide this for our fans in the near future if Research in Motion will decide to release the API."

okay, let's say you owned a mobile carrier that offered data and voice packages. your plans are priced so the required return on investment is met across the board and prices are difficult to change due to competitive pressures. along comes a device maker that allows for handset-to-handset calling via skype, sinking your actual rate of return way below what is needed to achieve acceptable profits for the current and future periods, and to make matters worse, the steep initial price that you must subsidize is significantly higher because it is a smartphone.

how would you react to this device?
    05-10-11 03:01 PM
    i believe the user's issue is that he is able to do this on the same carrier with different phones. i'm not familiar with skype as i have only tried it twice, once with my android device and once with my iPhone in which both worked. one of the calls was my android device to an iPhone and the other was my iPhone to a laptop.

as i type this, i did a quick search and noticed that Skype is offered through "Skype Mobile" on BlackBerry devices via Verizon Wireless.

Download Skype mobile™ to your Verizon Wireless phone today!
    05-10-11 03:21 PM
    i get what you're saying here and it makes perfect sense. But what about the iphone? skype to skype on iphone nets the carrier how much money?
    05-10-11 03:24 PM
    Also to the OP, what about a google voice number? wouldnt that achieve what you want?
    05-10-11 03:26 PM
    as i type this, i did a quick search and noticed that Skype is offered through "Skype Mobile" on BlackBerry devices via Verizon Wireless.

Download Skype mobile™ to your Verizon Wireless phone today!
    I was just going to post this. Although I've never had a need to use it, I know BlackBerry's on Verizon can make Skype calls. Verizon pushed an App on my phone for it.
    richv77 likes this.
    05-10-11 03:28 PM
    Another whining post. Isn't there a section for ppl to whine about why they are leaving blackberry?
    dodger_moore likes this.
    05-10-11 03:34 PM
    if you have access to the internet then why not just put skype on your computer and use a headset?
    He has a point. WHY SHOULD I FIND A COMPUTER when a SMART phone suppose to be SMART? The only reason why I am with BB is that in Canada we have very little selection of phones with keyboards. (Droid Pro is not on Rogers). BlackBerry is one of the DUMBest phones on the SMART phone market.

If BB don't come with QNX, I am gone for a phone with Skype and many other useful apps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    daikku likes this.
    05-10-11 03:55 PM
    Most of the skype implementations are pretty much crap at this point anyways though...

Even if you have it available it does not guarantee that the experience is any good or even reliable enough to replace using a desktop (or doesn't use minutes anyways, etc)...
    05-10-11 04:00 PM
    Microsift buying Skype for $8.5 billion.

From CB front page:

As we know it right now, Skype has really never had much of an impact on the BlackBerry world considering their app is a Verizon exclusive and despite having announced it in the past as being made available for all, that has never actually come to light. If these rumors turn out to be true and the deal gets locked down, it could break the Verizon exclusivity and hopefully bring Skype to not only BlackBerry smartphones but to the BlackBerry PlayBook as well. We'll have to sit back and watch it all unfold but, fun to ponder the ideas while we wait that's for sure.
    05-10-11 05:01 PM
    Doesn't Verizon have a Skype app for BlackBerry?

It's not about the carrier, it has nothing to do with the carrier. Skype-to-Skype calls, via Wi-Fi. Simple - where does the carrier enter in this equation? No where.

05-10-11 05:24 PM
    To the OP - could you use Google Voice? There's a Blackberry app for it and it's got pretty low international rates too and calls between the US and Canada are free. I'm not sure if its got free calling to other Google Voice numbers but it might.
    05-10-11 05:25 PM
    maybe people should think before posting such idiocy. how is RIM supposed to change mobile carriers' data rates and influence what they allow/don't allow?

newsflash: RIM makes phones. The End.
    Saywhat ?
    FaceTime for iOS works through wifi
    and i use SKype on my iPod touch 4G via WIFI

so... ?
    05-10-11 05:51 PM
    okay, let's say you owned a mobile carrier that offered data and voice packages. your plans are priced so the required return on investment is met across the board and prices are difficult to change due to competitive pressures. along comes a device maker that allows for handset-to-handset calling via skype, sinking your actual rate of return way below what is needed to achieve acceptable profits for the current and future periods, and to make matters worse, the steep initial price that you must subsidize is significantly higher because it is a smartphone.

how would you react to this device?
    How does it hurt what the carrier is getting out of you? I pay x amount for x minutes plus x amount for x data. If I don't use all of my minutes or data it cost them nothing as I still have to pay my bill. If I go over they will certainly charge me.

They get the same from me or more no matter what. So they should be giving me money back for what I didn't use but that'll never happen.
    05-10-11 07:06 PM
    @pifexx

Yup, it is shameful what RIM has done to neuter VOIP apps on the BlackBerry. The Verizon Skype app proves it is technically possible. The Skype apps on all the other platforms proves that the carriers don't have any problem with it, or at least can't do anything about it. This is a purely "business-based" decision on RIM's part to skewer their own customers into paying higher service charges.

I am a fan of a lot that RIM does, but this is a huge head-scratcher for me too. Good on you pifexx - you have to make the decision that makes the most sense for you. Hopefully RIM opens up the API to allow VOIP apps soon and then you can come back. Don't go too far...
    05-10-11 09:07 PM
    I don't really care, I mean if you don't want the best blackberry to date because of something they never promised, sounds like a personal problem to me.
    05-10-11 09:55 PM
    Vyke Is cheap, but there is cheaper. Skype isn't cheap!!
    Voip sites like Rynga are much cheaper, except they don't have BB apps. Only iPhone, Android and Symbian. I use local access numbers though.

Still, I sympathize with the OP, and to the rest,\; stop being keyboard warriors defending a phone! it's slightly pathetic. Blackberrys have maaaany shortfalls. They're great phones, but I don't see why a person shouldn't criticize a phone brand just because he frequents it's forums flooded by BB nerd warriors.

I also agree with the OP, the lack of those apps are hurting. I personally use around 5000 international minutes per month. Apps like those would save me loads. Also, sitting in front of a pc/laptop to make a phone call that could take hours, isn't really convenient.

I disagree with the OP's comment on QNX, if RIM really wanted to help those apps appearing on their devices, they would've. It doesn't matter which OS we have loaded on our bb's. They just seem to think it might hurt them.
    Last edited by hibanzai; 05-10-11 at 10:09 PM.
    05-10-11 10:07 PM
    For the people telling me about Verizon and Google Voice. READ MY POST.
    It's starts like this "Because I moved to Sweden...".

And no, Google Voice won't work on my phone here, it just says it's only available for the users in the US/Canada.

I'm gonna try this Vyke thing.
    But FaceTime working over Wi-Fi and RIM blocking any VoIP attempt is just... a slap in our face.

And don't say RIM has nothing to do with it, like squished18 said, all the apps I mentioned and even Skype, work just fine on all other mobiles, except RIM.

Skype works on Verizon - that proves it's possible to VoIP over a BlackBerry with no problems - but it's something between RIM, Skype and Verizon. I've no idea what but my guess would be Verizon is RIM to allow them to offer their clients Skype, to attract more clients.

Other than that I've no idea what the BIG deal.
    I've kept waiting and waiting but I just couldn't hold it in when this dude pulled out his Samsung Corby and called to China next to me while I was on Free Call - Free International Calls & Free VoIP Service. Internet phone calls - free VoIP, call PC to phone over Internet telephony (on my laptop) making a really quick call (you have 2 free calls each day, but they can't last more than 40-50 seconds).

He looked at me: "Dude... WTF... Skype?".

But no, no Skype, if someone needs to call me, if I'm not home, well, they won't call me, cuz you know, it's almost 1$/minute roaming calls (0.60 eurocents on orange)
    If I want to call someone and they aren't home, same ****.

Skype-to-Skype on BlackBerries would solve this problem entirely.
    And I don't even ask of Skype to make an app! Forget about that.

I'm JUST ASKING RIM TO release their damn VoIP API and stop cutting the ropes of companies like Skype and Nimbuzz, fring and a few other I can't remember their names right now. Cuz none worked.
    05-11-11 05:07 AM
    I'm JUST ASKING RIM TO release their damn VoIP API and stop cutting the ropes of companies like Skype and Nimbuzz, fring and a few other I can't remember their names right now. Cuz none worked.
    Given that there is a Skype app for verizon blackberries they quite clearly have the access they need, it isn't Rim's fault that Skype took a nice bundle of cash from VZW to limit it to their devices now is it.
    05-11-11 05:15 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD