Time for a upgrade

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-11 01:45 AM
    For me, its the Keyboard. The Bold 9000 keyboard is the best keyboard. And hearing its even better than that is good enough for me. Of course the speed of the phone is a great plus too, plus the new OS, but mainly the keyboard.
    05-14-11 03:17 AM
    I like the phone, the form factor is very nice, and initially, I really wanted this. I'm not sure if I will buy it at this point. If it looks like the next OS will be QNX, I'm going to have to pass. I want something that will be upgradeable and enjoyable through my 2 year contract. I don't want to get stuck with a dead OS on hardware that cannot run QNX. Plus... I'm not that happy with my BB. The build quality is like a children's toy, the web browser can't handle 3 or more tabs, and it's just so slow- every time I see that stupid hour glass I want to throw my phone to the ground.

On the other hand I had a horrible experience with Android, my 9700 was result of att saying, "sorry for letting you buy such a huge piece of sh*t, pick anything you want". I had a first gen iPhone back in the day, I had great fun after I hacked it. But then I ditched it once big-brother Apple bricked it for doing a no-no... it was gone before the app store showed up.

I need a new phone soon and I can't find the perfect option... This seems ok, and I'll consider the iPhone5, Android is off the table for now.. I hate phones.
    05-14-11 03:27 AM
    I like the phone, the form factor is very nice, and initially, I really wanted this. I'm not sure if I will buy it at this point. If it looks like the next OS will be QNX, I'm going to have to pass. I want something that will be upgradeable and enjoyable through my 2 year contract. I don't want to get stuck with a dead OS on hardware that cannot run QNX. Plus... I'm not that happy with my BB. The build quality is like a children's toy, the web browser can't handle 3 or more tabs, and it's just so slow- every time I see that stupid hour glass I want to throw my phone to the ground.

On the other hand I had a horrible experience with Android, my 9700 was result of att saying, "sorry for letting you buy such a huge piece of sh*t, pick anything you want". I had a first gen iPhone back in the day, I had great fun after I hacked it. But then I ditched it once big-brother Apple bricked it for doing a no-no... it was gone before the app store showed up.

I need a new phone soon and I can't find the perfect option... This seems ok, and I'll consider the iPhone5, Android is off the table for now.. I hate phones.
    From what I read recently it looks like there is no iPhone 5 but an iPhone 4s. I have no idea when this changed or if its actually true. So you may not want to head that route if its true since it may mean it isn't much of an upgrade. If someone could clarify this it would be great.

I think the 9900 is going to be a great phone. Sure it wont support full QNX but it will be a great OS and will continue to get updates so you should be fine over the course of the 2 year plan. I would be really happy with this phone but since I'm on a 3 year plan in Canada ill have to buy it for cash without a plan if I get it. I don't see that happening though

05-14-11 04:17 AM
    The Motorola Droid Pro offers a lot more than this phone.
    It also has an amazing QWERTY, a LED and all that.
    It also has a bigger screen, and from my experience with BlackBerry, a better battery.
    Also it has Android, which is open source and not so demonically controlled by RIM.

FFS, gief skype.
    05-14-11 09:53 AM
    The size; keyboard and screen

The processor; I have an Android phone for personal use and it smokes everything my 9780 can do speed wise.
    05-14-11 09:58 AM
    My upgrade comes up in August...and it's gonna come down to the 9900 and the iPhone 5 for me. I'll always have a warm place in my heart for BlackBerry...but for me, this is the last ditch effort for RIM to woo me back into the fold. If the browser still sucks...if OS7 isn't better than the OS6 was on the 9780 even...if the whole experience isn't a huge step from the 9700 (which is a damn good phone)...

...no, I won't buy this phone, and Apple will again get my vote.

But, if RIM puts their best foot forward and really mates the amazing keyboard and roomy size of the 9000 with a great, fast and smooth multi-touch experience...

...I'll come back to BlackBerry with the 9900, and won't look back.
    By all accounts the iPhone 5 is going to be a 2012 product. This fall is going to be the iPhone 4S. Most of the rumors say that its going to be a mp bump on the camera, a jump to the dual core A5, and some minor cosmetic changes, and perhaps a storage bump.

The next generation iPhone most likely is not going to be coming out this year.
    05-14-11 10:03 AM
    The Motorola Droid Pro offers a lot more than this phone.
    It also has an amazing QWERTY, a LED and all that.
    It also has a bigger screen, and from my experience with BlackBerry, a better battery.
    Also it has Android, which is open source and not so demonically controlled by RIM.

FFS, gief skype.
    I agree with you on app availability on BBs and specially skype. But the Microsoft just brought Skype and they are looking into increasing ways to get more revenue. In other words MS may limit you on how many hours or min you can get Skype per month for free and after that you have to pay for it. For that reason along, I will not go for Skype at this moment. No matter how open source your phone is the apps you have may not be so open.
    05-14-11 10:20 AM
    Why I will buy…….

I’m currently rocking the Sprint 9650 and prior to that had an 8330m. Never had my hands on a 9000 but, way too many people rave about the form factor and keyboard for it not to be truly amazing. Understood, the market trend was smaller, thinner…etc and RIM moved away from that size….now back to the classic.

KEYBOARD
    I personally liked the keyboard on the 8330 much better than the more compact 9650 keyboard. For me, the key size, the profile and spacing is very important and I think the 9930 should zero in on all points.

TOUCH SCREEN
    No way can you type by feel on a touch screen; you simply must ALWAYS concentrate on the screen. For me the 9930 will offer the best of everything: form factor, key spacing, and optical navigation or touch screen or combo…how great will that be!

HARDWARE
    The 9930 looks to be on par with most phones in the horsepower, memory and camera department without being the cutting edge, battery draining variant. 4G would be nice but, 4G is really a few years away from being widely available (check their coverage maps) ONLY major cities currently….so not a big issue for me now.

OS
    Not sure where RIM is going with their OS strategy or naming convention. OS 6 on my 9650 is fine except, the goofy floating /scrolling trays….OS 6.1 (a.k.a.) OS 7 allows that to be locked down now thankfully. Flash support & HTML5 look amazing.

Gotta believe the 9930 will be QNX compatibly…what a huge faux pas that would be to have a NEW flagship device that is not forwardly compatible. I give the 9930 100% probability to be QNX capable.

SUMMARY
    I really like the BB Bridge concept and BB 7” Playbook. I am sure a 9930 and Playbook will satisfy my needs for the next two years.
    05-14-11 11:14 AM
    4G is an issue for me. A big one.
    Not everyone is from the U.S. And some countries have better coverage of 4G.
    For example in Sweden there are 25 areas covered in 4G - you will notice that Sweden has about 5-6 major cities, the rest being smaller towns. That about covers my traveling area.

I can deal with 3G when I'm out on top of a mountain.
    05-14-11 12:01 PM
    Good point. I did not realize other countries were so much farther ahead the US in 4G.
    05-14-11 12:27 PM
    Well even though I'm not a U.S citizen, in U.S defense I would like to note that the U.S is a pretty big country.
    05-14-11 12:31 PM
    Well even though I'm not a U.S citizen, in U.S defense I would like to note that the U.S is a pretty big country.
    True. I see your sig says Bold 9000. Is it really that much better...(the 9000) form factor & keyboard?
    05-14-11 12:35 PM
    The whole UK and Ireland is waaaaay back in 4G, as in none existant

05-14-11 01:17 PM
    But with the touch screen AND BB keyboard? I'll wait thank you.
    Why? Cause I can
    Agreed! My Tour is ready for retirement but with the the 9900 coming out soon my Tour will have to wait.
    05-14-11 02:22 PM
    True. I see your sig says Bold 9000. Is it really that much better...(the 9000) form factor & keyboard?

Well I love my bold 9000 and yes, is that much better. I've tried the 9780 and decided it's rubbish against my Bold 9000.

Yes, it was running OS 6 but other than that... nothing... improved.
    My Bold 9000 was just as "liquid" fast, and I was running the same apps. I didn't see why I should sacrifice my Bold 9000 just for a... better camera?

I preferred investing 50$ in my Bold 9000 and getting a new OEM housing (full, including keyboard and trackball) and a new battery... for another 20$ or so.

I still have it and use it and it still rocks, and feels, works and looks new.

However, I don't think I will be upgrading to the Bold 9900 for some personal issues such as:

Tiny app market.
    OS not open-source, RIM constantly denying wonderful apps.
    Skype - I really need it. Not available for BlackBerry.
    Battery - No matter the BlackBerry (other friends with different models) the battery doesn't seem to hold more than 1 day. I don't want to get into "extended" batteries.
    4G.

I could easily go over most of them because BlackBerry are truly amazing phones and I love them but the lack of 4G and the lack of Skype are a big no-no for me.

There are other issues: not sure if mobile hot-spot will be available, RIM making us pay for tethering and others such as BIS - which has become worthless these days. An Android phone with a gmail account works just as good as a BlackBerry with BIS - tried it myself, there's about a 1 minute delay for the Android - but 1 minute? Who cares.

I think I will be getting the Motorola Droid Pro or the Motorola ATRIX - the latest one offering 4G, multiple hot-spots, latest Android, dual-core CPU, 960x540 display and better battery life.

Not sure yet but I'll decide by the time the Bold 9900 comes out.
    05-14-11 02:51 PM
    Pifexx, is it really 4G you have there or is it hsdpa+ that seems to be masquerading as 4G these days as the 9900 will be able to tap into that.

05-14-11 03:27 PM
    I can not WAIT to dump my iPhone and get this phone. Nothing compares to the 9000 keyboard in my experience. Perfect size for me. Was not impressed with OS6 on my 9700 so I switched to an iPhone. Just not what I need or want. Touch screen keyboards are fine for small texts but for typing emails they are a joke. The 9900 will be my best friend as soon as it comes out of the box.
    05-14-11 04:46 PM
    Well I love my bold 9000 and yes, is that much better. I've tried the 9780 and decided it's rubbish against my Bold 9000.

Yes, it was running OS 6 but other than that... nothing... improved.
    My Bold 9000 was just as "liquid" fast, and I was running the same apps. I didn't see why I should sacrifice my Bold 9000 just for a... better camera?

I preferred investing 50$ in my Bold 9000 and getting a new OEM housing (full, including keyboard and trackball) and a new battery... for another 20$ or so.

I still have it and use it and it still rocks, and feels, works and looks new.

However, I don't think I will be upgrading to the Bold 9900 for some personal issues such as:

Tiny app market.
    OS not open-source, RIM constantly denying wonderful apps.
    Skype - I really need it. Not available for BlackBerry.
    Battery - No matter the BlackBerry (other friends with different models) the battery doesn't seem to hold more than 1 day. I don't want to get into "extended" batteries.
    4G.

I could easily go over most of them because BlackBerry are truly amazing phones and I love them but the lack of 4G and the lack of Skype are a big no-no for me.

There are other issues: not sure if mobile hot-spot will be available, RIM making us pay for tethering and others such as BIS - which has become worthless these days. An Android phone with a gmail account works just as good as a BlackBerry with BIS - tried it myself, there's about a 1 minute delay for the Android - but 1 minute? Who cares.

I think I will be getting the Motorola Droid Pro or the Motorola ATRIX - the latest one offering 4G, multiple hot-spots, latest Android, dual-core CPU, 960x540 display and better battery life.

Not sure yet but I'll decide by the time the Bold 9900 comes out.
    The motorola droid pro doesn't have 4G and it also has a worse battery life. The atrix doesn't have 4G it's just HSPA+ which is marketed as 4G. The bold touch also has this. The atrix is a dual core phone with a large touchscreen the battery life will be worse than the blackberries.
    05-14-11 05:30 PM
    Well IDK if it's "real" 4G. I would give you the webpage but it's in Swedish. Here you go if you use Google Chrome or some translator: 4G Medium
    They offer 80Mbps Download. That's enough for me.

And you were right about the ATRIX - WTF. Why do they call it 4G if it's HSDPA 14.4 Mbps? Those bastards.

"*4G speeds delivered by HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul." - WTF is an enhanced backhaul.

I guess it's Skype remaining ).
    Overall I'm just worried I won't be able to use my BlackBerry properly because all of this Google around me. I'm pretty much a Google user. From docs, storage, mail, websites, blogs, shopping, searching, kinda everything I do goes trough Google. I'm just afraid that Microsoft now allied with RIM is going to hurt me, the Google user.
    Last edited by pifexx; 05-14-11 at 06:23 PM.
    05-14-11 06:18 PM
    If you really want the best reason to buy one of the new Bold Touch 9900/9930 go to this thread I have already started and click on the link, Watch the tuturial and that should convince everyone and get you excited.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f235/ge...9930-a-615181/
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    05-14-11 06:42 PM
    Well IDK if it's "real" 4G. I would give you the webpage but it's in Swedish. Here you go if you use Google Chrome or some translator: 4G Medium

And you were right about the ATRIX - WTF. Why do they call it 4G if it's HSDPA 14.4 Mbps? Those bastards.

"*4G speeds delivered by HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul." - WTF is an enhanced backhaul.

Overall I'm just worried I won't be able to use my BlackBerry properly because all of this Google around me. I'm pretty much a Google user. From docs, storage, mail, websites, blogs, shopping, searching, kinda everything I do goes trough Google. I'm just afraid that Microsoft now allied with RIM is going to hurt me, the Google user.
    I think AT&T in america is planning to roll out their actual 4G sometime in the future, if you want good battery life I would stay away from android devices especially the atrix.
    05-14-11 06:52 PM
    IMO the Bold 9000 keyboard is the best one to date. The Curve keyboard was great too, but no other keyboard on any phone compares to the Bold 9000. The 9700/9780 were smaller variations of it, but didn't work for me. Same with the Tour. Only Bold closest to the 9000 was the 9650 but still didn't cut it. The size of the keyboard on the 9000 is perfect. Hearing that the 9900 keyboard is similar to the 9000 and same size, and better, is graceful music to my ears. Hopefully it lives up to its expectations. I can't wait to try it out.
    05-14-11 07:34 PM

Well I searched Sweeden 4G and results came back with LTE which is fast but still not true 4G. The problem with LTE is that it's a CDMA network which means it will not work in pretty much every other part of Europe. This might not affect you tho if you never travel.

Microsoft now owns skype and hopefully we'll see it on blackberry very soon.

05-15-11 01:53 AM
    Well I searched Sweeden 4G and results came back with LTE which is fast but still not true 4G. The problem with LTE is that it's a CDMA network which means it will not work in pretty much every other part of Europe. This might not affect you tho if you never travel.

Microsoft now owns skype and hopefully we'll see it on blackberry very soon.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't LTE gsm as it uses a sim card?
    05-15-11 07:56 AM
90 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD