Well, my friend dropped his iPhone4 today. Literally maybe 4 feet from the ground onto normal tile. (he tripped and it just landed flat). And the phone literally shattered. He even had it in an Otterbox Defender case!! I thought the Otterbox was supposed to protect the phone from drops WAY crazier than that. The Otterbox was damaged too, but again, the phone looked like it fell off a cliff.
    I mean, if his phone wasn't in the case, MAYBE it would crack a bit from the fall. But I mean its SHATTERED. I didn't think a normal fall like this would do what it did to an iPhone.

On the other hand... my Bold 9930 has taken way harder and heavier falls. Zero scratches/cracks on the screen and I only have a 'ring' case on (basically caseless), and NO screen protector. (the otterbox on his phone had the screen protector and everything, the whole nine yards).

I do have some problems with the Bold, and have an iPad and iPod touch for my iOS needs (and my ipod touch even has a crack on the screen because I pressed too hard when putting on a screen protector ), but when it comes to getting stuff done and being a brick sh*thouse, the BB wins every day.

Here are pics of his device, if you want pics of the Otterbox I can get those too.

The device even BENT a bit...

The back was fine...

So, I'm assuming he can just go to Apple. Not sure how it works for him. I have insurance on my phone (Blackberry Bold 9930), and I just call insurance/Verizon and I get a new phone shipped immediately.
    Last edited by SaMaster14; 04-16-12 at 09:13 PM.
    austriker, Chrisy and gmoneyyo like this.
    04-16-12 08:21 PM
    HAHA damn that must've suck. i actually dropped my blackberry face front and only the front berzel is scratched, and nothing shattered or plastic broken. iphone is basically eye candy hand held glass running on battery.

btw what is the case you speak of, the "ring".
    Willard814 likes this.
    04-16-12 08:57 PM
    Nice pictures.
    04-16-12 08:59 PM
    HAHA damn that must've suck. i actually dropped my blackberry face front and only the front berzel is scratched, and nothing shattered or plastic broken. iphone is basically eye candy hand held glass running on battery.

btw what is the case you speak of, the "ring".
    Yup. I realized, when you drop on iPhone, it's literally dropping glass that has some backing.

And this is the 'Ring' case, by ION.

henryy likes this.
    04-16-12 09:00 PM
    Iphone is pure junk. Sure its got a ton of apps but a phone should not be so delicate and plus no real insurance. Iphone users are nuts.
    Willard814 likes this.
    04-16-12 09:08 PM
    That's awful. My daughter just got an iphone 4S last weekend. The insurance deductible is $170!
    04-16-12 10:00 PM
    I have replaced the bezel of a 9780 that I melted with a leaf blower while setting my jacket on fire.
    It still works great. Just witnessed a 9000 getting dropped onto cement from 20m. The battery was put back in and it worked great.
    andy957 and Willard814 like this.
    04-16-12 10:08 PM
    Wow. You rest your case.

*claps*
    04-16-12 10:43 PM
    Ouch!
    I dropped my 9930 on the top left corner (when looking at the screen) onto concrete from a little above waist height. I have it in an OEM sleeve, but the top is the only exposed portion. Go figure that's where it landed when it went spinning down. I thought for sure my screen was going to look like that ^ when I pulled it from the sleeve. Instead, only the rubber-ish material was scuffed. Whew!
    Chrisy and Willard814 like this.
    04-16-12 10:57 PM
    iPhones have many hardware downfalls ...

Even my replacement iPhone 4 needs a replacement of the replacement ...

I am just waiting for Bold 9900 ...
    Chrisy and Willard814 like this.
    04-16-12 11:12 PM
    how did it get bent? lol the laws of physics different at your buddy's house? i think it got stepped on

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using the CrackBerry Forums App!
    04-16-12 11:43 PM
    the day i drop my 9930 is the day i die. i'm seriously completely ocd about dropping my phone. i've had it about a month and so far, no drops. KNOCK ON WOOD
    Willard814 and ekv like this.
    04-16-12 11:58 PM
    Because of the nature of my job pushing heavy things around on a tractor trailer or aircraft, no way am I carrying anything that is fragile as glass. Now you know why IOS devices can't get a mil certification.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-17-12 12:06 AM
    Because of the nature of my job pushing heavy things around on a tractor trailer or aircraft, no way am I carrying anything that is fragile as glass. Now you know why IOS devices can't get a mil certification.

i can second this my friend

04-17-12 12:11 AM
    how did it get bent? lol the laws of physics different at your buddy's house? i think it got stepped on

We really aren't sure... he just tripped and it fell and shattered, in the otterbox. He put on the otterbox the day he got the device when the iPhone4 first came out and hasn't removed it since... so it's very possible that there was prior damage that was unseen and this was just the 'breaking point.' Must have hit a sweet spot when it fell... The phone was working perfectly before...

Definitely didn't get stepped on... I saw it fall right out of his hand. And when he tripped he didn't fall, just stuttered. Phone just hit the floor...
    04-17-12 12:20 AM
    Iphone is pure junk. Sure its got a ton of apps but a phone should not be so delicate and plus no real insurance. Iphone users are nuts.
    Really. I've dropped mine 3 times on concrete and it's fine. No case.

If a phone hits the sweet spot - ANY PHONE - it will break. Period.

There's more to this if the frame bent. This wasn't a simple drop considering the otterbox holds it snug.

Sent from mah braiiiiinzzzz using
    Tapatalk
    Last edited by reeneebob; 04-17-12 at 12:33 AM.
    Willard814 likes this.
    04-17-12 12:29 AM
    The only reason RIM gets slack is because the app market is poorer than Android and iPhone.... And being in cellular sales I've used soo many devices its ridiculous, and my two top favourite phones I've ever used are the blackberry tour and my current blackberry 9900.... Every company makes mistakes... Apple knew exactly what they were doing when they released the iphone 4 with network connectivity problems... But then turned around and sold little plastic bumpers for 30 dollars...... My point is RIM has made mistakes but every company does/will. Lastly, of all the androids and the couple iPhones I've used... The apps are great but the novelty wears off on a week.... After that I'm yearning for the ease and reliability of blackberry.
    04-17-12 03:20 AM
    I've dropped my caseless 9900 a bunch of times without issue other than a couple scratches. Ironically, the only time I've had a problem was when an apple product was involved.... I was walking in from my truck a couple months ago and had my 9900 on top of my cased ipad. I dropped both at the same time. The bold landed face down on the concrete. The ipad landed at the exact same time on top of the bold. The screen cracked and broke on my 9900 (luckily I had a spare 9900 screen from my first bricked phone). Kind of funny that the only time I've ever broken a blackberry (always never used a case) was when an IOS device was in the mix
    Willard814 likes this.
    04-17-12 06:57 AM
    LOL that iphone looks like tinkerbell came in the middle of the night with a tiny ball peen hammer and went apesh*t on it. I only have a silicon back cover on my Bold 9930 and just a cheap plastic back cover on my ipod touch 4th gen and a apple cover for my ipad2. I've been VERY careful with all three, they all still look brand new. knock on wood
    04-17-12 07:33 AM
    Ive dropped mine on to a running treadmill, stepped on it, and then it proceeded to slam into the wall behind said treadmill.... not a scratch lol
    Willard814 likes this.
    04-17-12 08:44 AM
    The 4/4s is a beautiful design, but when you have what is essentially 2 slabs of glass sandwiched together, the chances of something bad happening because of a drop is going to be increased by that much.

From experience, I find that it's not necessarily how far it falls, but how it falls (and lands) that determine the damage that a phone suffers.
    Willard814, reeneebob and Chrisy like this.
    04-17-12 09:05 AM
    The durability of a phone is high on my priority list as well. I take my phone hiking, climbing, kayaking, camping, Geocaching.

When I had the Android I was so paranoid about breaking it.

I was standing on top of a picnic table, arms over my head, searching for a Geocache in the wood ceiling above with my 9630. Dropped the BB and it landed on asphalt. I was worried I broke it; only a small scratch on the bezel.

I left my Android in my pocket when I cached except to log em.

Now I'm back caching using my bb.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 04-17-12 at 09:32 AM.
    Willard814 likes this.
    04-17-12 09:25 AM
    I've dropped my 9900 on concrete, and it was enough to put a tiny chip in the corner of the glass (right where my screen protection cut off, go figure), but other than that, it's just dandy. Tempered glass is weakest at the sides, so it's a good thing Blackberrys have bezels.
    Willard814 likes this.
    04-17-12 10:53 AM
    I own a brick called CURVE 8520. It has sustained slides, slips, falls, even deliberate ones too. The fact that it has rubber sorta fences around it saves it everytime even from scratches.

The only other phone which was stronger that this (and everything else) is my legacy nokia1100.
    04-17-12 11:19 AM
    I dropped my 9930 on our living room tiles. The tiles were shattered.
    Willard814 likes this.
    04-17-12 01:17 PM
77 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD