A couple of weeks ago soon after .540 became official on Turkcell I was able to download it from the Vodafone UK site.

Now it seems to have gone and .296 if the official Vodafone UK approved OS.

It (.540) has been running faultlessly for me and seemingly many others, so why would the carrier revert back to the buggy .296 ?

Is there something we don't know about .540 ?

Maybe Phill with two L's or Dangermouse who both seem to be Vodafone Guru's can enlighten us ?
    11-30-11 08:28 AM
    O2 UK is on.540 so I can't see why Voda would revert
    11-30-11 12:23 PM
    O2 UK is on.540 so I can't see why Voda would revert
    Nor can I, but they seem to have done so. I directed someone in another thread to go to Vodafone UK to download .540 and they replied that they could not find it.

I tried myself and found only .296 was available despite me having used the same site to get my own .540 a week or so ago.

Strange or what
    11-30-11 12:27 PM
    There's no mention of why this would be on the Vodafone e-forum....
    11-30-11 01:56 PM
    There's no mention of why this would be on the Vodafone e-forum....
    I've just asked the question there... let's see what they have to say
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    11-30-11 02:21 PM
    Ah, so thats you
    11-30-11 02:31 PM
    Did anyone check the carrier discussion forums? There's probably a Voda sub-forum. This is more of a Voda issue than a 9900 issue.
    11-30-11 02:40 PM
    I've just asked the question there... let's see what they have to say
    Nice one Phill, I thought that you would know where to go for an answer. Could I trouble you for a link to that forum ?
    11-30-11 02:58 PM
    11-30-11 03:05 PM
    Orange uk is also on .540
    11-30-11 06:55 PM
    Orange uk is also on .540
    You try and find .540 anywhere on here... BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

Every European Vodafone carrier had it showing as official a few days ago, and even Turkcell in the sticky above has had it removed.

Maybe RIM have pulled it
    11-30-11 07:03 PM
    You try and find .540 anywhere on here... BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

Every European Vodafone carrier had it showing as official a few days ago, and even Turkcell in the sticky above has had it removed.

Maybe RIM have pulled it
    That's interesting. They must have found something pretty bad in it. Has anything like this happened before?
    11-30-11 07:46 PM
    That's interesting. They must have found something pretty bad in it. Has anything like this happened before?
    Not that I can recall. There was that Etisalat software version that was found to include spyware which was pulled, but that was just with a single carrier and I believe it was only OTA downloads that were affected.

Something strange is definitely going on with .540 though, for it to be pulled from ALL carriers who were officially supporting it.

Watch this space...
    Last edited by Phill_UK; 11-30-11 at 08:06 PM.
    11-30-11 07:54 PM
    Something strange is definitely going on with .540 though, for it to be pulled from ALL carriers who were officially supporting it.

Watch this space...
    I will. I expect delivery of my 9900 tomorrow, and I've already downloaded .540, in anticipation of installing it right away. I'm hesitant to do so now, in light of this development.

That RIM would advise all carriers to roll back to an earlier version, rather than pushing out a new version with a fix, suggests that whatever they found is (a) serious, and (b) they haven't found a fix for it yet.
    11-30-11 07:58 PM
    Maybe that's what's bricking people's phones or was that happening with earlier versions?
    11-30-11 08:10 PM
    Maybe that's what's bricking people's phones or was that happening with earlier versions?
    Nah, it was happening way before .540

Some people even say that .540 actually 'unbricked' their phones... but I was never buying that one
    11-30-11 08:57 PM
    I don't think so.... some users got their phone bricked or nuked on stock OS as well. Also, more and more RIM try to hide it, it seems like these brick and nuke issue was caused by a hardware issue, not a software issue.
    11-30-11 10:03 PM
    May be this is why:

When I click on RIM's OS download page, now I get this message:
    Our website is currently undergoing a scheduled maintenance to upgrade our systems in order to better serve you.

We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

May be they took it down during the update and will come back to this version once it is done. Usually cooperate web sites are updated in batches and RIM may be fixing their website or server and took down the last updated batch from their web server database.
    11-30-11 10:06 PM
    May be this is why:

When I click on RIM's OS download page, now I get this message:
    Our website is currently undergoing a scheduled maintenance to upgrade our systems in order to better serve you.

We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

May be they took it down during the update and will come back to this version once it is done. Usually cooperate web sites are updated in batches and RIM may be fixing their website or server and took down the last updated batch from their web server database.
    Try it again, all other downloads are working fine.

.540 has been removed while all other versions remain... definitely something more than just a site update
    11-30-11 10:12 PM
    Maybe they found something unstable in .540?
    11-30-11 10:12 PM
    Maybe they found something unstable in .540?
    Or may be I can get root access and modify core engineering files with .540... RIM already in hot water for Playbook rooting video.
    11-30-11 11:21 PM
    It was pulled by RIM for all EMEA carriers not just us - am reaching out to Slough now for an answer as to why.

That eForum is a joke btw. It's not staffed by people in Vodafone, its call center staff that post on there.

We used to go on there and make up problems just to get them to ask us to fill out the form :-D
    Last edited by DangerMouseUK; 11-30-11 at 11:44 PM.
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    11-30-11 11:41 PM
    It was pulled by RIM for all EMEA carriers not just us - am reaching out to Slough now for an answer as to why.
    TOO RIGHT! When my Sure Signal goes down (I live only 5 miles from their headquarters yet get EDGE...) I look on there and they say just leave it. That is a joke!
    That eForum is a joke btw. It's not staffed by people in Vodafone, its call center staff that post on there.

We used to go on there and make up problems just to get them to ask us to fill out the form :-D
    TOO RIGHT! When my Sure Signal goes down (I live only 5 miles from their headquarters yet get EDGE...) I look on there and they say just leave it. That is a joke!
    12-01-11 03:28 AM
    It was pulled by RIM for all EMEA carriers not just us - am reaching out to Slough now for an answer as to why:-D
    Anything coming out of Slough to answer the question ???

This is quite worrying for those of us running .540 particularly as on the face of it it seems to be the best of the 7.0 OS to date.
    Last edited by Legal Eagle; 12-01-11 at 10:50 AM.
    12-01-11 10:48 AM
    This is really interesting - am surprised this hasn't made the CB blogs actually, seems like a fairly significant story if it's been pulled for all EMEA carriers.
    12-01-11 11:21 AM
83 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD