05-31-11 10:09 PM
44 12
tools
    Have you even tried LiveProfile? It works like BBM - push messaging, always open, can't close it, uses PIN - blazing fast, very reliable. Try it now, speak later.
    WhatsApp, LiveProfile, Ping, Kik, AIM, Google Talk, MSN, ICQ, etc... You know what the problem with all these are? There's too freaking many of them. It's hard enough trying to talk people into using Gtalk, nevermind WhatsApp or LiveProfile.
    05-18-11 04:58 AM
    I had full EAS with my company's server at my last job on the $30 plan as well. I'm not saying it doesn't work, I'm saying that the carriers require the more expensive plan. Tell VZW you want corporate email and see what they say.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    When I bought my first Android device in the store last year, coming from a BB on the 44.99 plan, the guy asked me if I was keeping corp mail on my new phone, I said yes, he said doesn't matter and put me on the 29.99 plan anyhow. Why he even asked if it doesn't matter, I have no idea.
    05-18-11 09:46 AM
    I'm seeing new BB plans that excludes "email and web browsing" but allows social access such as BBM, MSN, AIM, Yahoo, etc. At least in Canada there aren't any "data" plans for BB anymore, you pay extra for access ($25 at Koodo). I still have my legacy $45 BB plan that includes access to BIS and social networking, these days $45 gets you just access to the messenger networks without web browsing and emails.
    05-18-11 11:48 AM
    When I bought my first Android device in the store last year, coming from a BB on the 44.99 plan, the guy asked me if I was keeping corp mail on my new phone, I said yes, he said doesn't matter and put me on the 29.99 plan anyhow. Why he even asked if it doesn't matter, I have no idea.
    Seems like you had a good rep. I couldn't get anyone to guarantee that I'd be grandfathered into my $15/mo 150MB data plan if I switch to a new smartphone
    05-18-11 12:24 PM
    Have you even tried LiveProfile? It works like BBM - push messaging, always open, can't close it, uses PIN - blazing fast, very reliable. Try it now, speak later.
    Funny, I get the same droning rhetoric from people who claim the same thing from Pingchat AND WhatsApp...

Too bad I would have to run all 3 to talk everyone and cover all the bases...
    Last edited by papped; 05-19-11 at 02:38 PM.
    05-18-11 02:33 PM
    OK let me take down all your arguments pro-bis.
    Better battery life because of push? The battery holds (for how I use my phone) 20 to 30 hours, from 100% to 0%. This is without the use of e-mail whatsoever. My other phone, which is an Android phone, holds for 30 to 40 hours, even though it has no BIS and the Gmail app just checks for mail. So that's a no-go, doesn't matter if the battery if it's better, if it still sucks anyway.

BBM: > WhatsApp, LiveProfile: I use those anyway because they connect not only to other BlackBerries but to iPhones and Androids too, whatever you go around this, those are still better than BBM.

Data plans. OK, maybe in the US and the UK. But most of the countries in Europe for example, (Sweden, France, Romania, Italy which I know for sure) have standard subscriptions like this:

Panther 8 - costs 8 euros and you get besides texts and voice minutes, 200MB of data. You can't use your BlackBerry, if you want to use your BlackBerry you have to pay FOR ANOTHER 10 euros for 1MB of BIS data, the other data becoming obsolete (gets removed). But in the end you pay 18 euros for the same thing. If you had an iPhone, you would have just paid 8 euros and enjoyed the 200MB anyway.

Pay as you go is not offered, you can't use a BlackBerry on Pay as you go.

Another way would be: get a subscription with no data included and add a BlackBerry plan to that, yes, that would make sense, the only problem being the cheapest one is still 8 euros, with no data but more minutes/texts. So you still have to pay 10 euros for the cheapest BIS option, though, you end up paying 18 euros. Any way you think about it, using BIS doubles the subscription you pay.

It might be just these countries, IDK, but something is obviously wrong here if you guys have BIS for the same money as normal data.

Pay as you go charges 2 euros for 500MB of data, BIS charges 10 euros for 1 MB of data. The compression rate is 6 to 1, that means 1 MB of data means 6MB of normal data. Where's the win in that? 2 euros for 500MB vs 10 euros for 6MB.

Without wanting to sound as a ****, do you get why I don't see the benefits of BIS?
    P.S - Yes, even though I don't plan on buying the 9900 is not because I suddenly hate BlackBerry, it's because of financial issues, and I will still use my Bold 9000 as long as I can, in tandem with an Android which I will use for internet. I'll just use the Bold without BIS and that's that. I wouldn't be here "trolling" as you say if I wasn't a BlackBerry fan, I'm just trying, with this post, to understand why people still use BIS. I didn't knew the situation in the US, but in Europe it's totally different.
    Your battery comparison is nonsense. You didn't identify the devices, battery size, running applications, and about 30 other variables that can impact that performance.

And really... Like a previous poster asked, why do you even care? You were whining in another thread that RIM devices don't allow Skype. You claimed you were done with BlackBerries. You don't want the product they provide. It's not like you were misled, bought one, and are suddenly outraged. Move on.

meistro likes this.
    05-20-11 12:11 AM
    hi guys,

potential nokia refuge with a noob question. BIS gets me my email? does it act as the aggregator for my yahoo/exchange/pop/etc? can the BB do email without BIS?

also is BIS tied to the carrier? i am on ye ole data plan now that'd i'd prefer to keep, would BIS just work with no changes on my providers side?

thanks and sorry if these are to noobish
    05-20-11 12:36 AM
    I don't think BlackBerry's work without BIS/BES. You have to have it. There is no way to check your email without it. There is no sync or check now button... it just pushes when you have mail. You can't say to yourself, lemme check my mail right this second and hit a sync button.
    05-20-11 12:41 AM
    I don't get it!! why do you need to worry about stuff that you won't be coming in contact with..
    just get an Iphone 4

http://forums.crackberry.com/f235/wh...-other-614105/
    Thought the name was familiar! Just another set up for another argument...

05-20-11 05:02 AM
    I don't get it!! why do you need to worry about stuff that you won't be coming in contact with..
    just get an Iphone 4

http://forums.crackberry.com/f235/wh...-other-614105/
    I do use a iPhone 4 on occasion and after waiting for 15 minutes for it to find my email I miss the p|ss poor notification"!
    05-20-11 05:25 AM
    In the UK, you can get the minimum data plan you like (as low as 10/month up to maybe 60/month) and BIS is an extra 5 on top of whichever data plan you choose.

For that you get unlimited data, BBM and the benefits of compressed data etc.

Seems worth it IF you want a BB plan. If not, you have to pay a lot more for data packages with other OS plans, I think.
    05-20-11 06:53 AM
    You also need to consider the security from BIS. If your email/IM server supports SSL, BIS will automatically encrypt emails/im it sends and receives over the internet.

Source: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...001-3.0-US.pdf
    05-23-11 03:55 PM
    In the UK, you can get the minimum data plan you like (as low as 10/month up to maybe 60/month) and BIS is an extra 5 on top of whichever data plan you choose.

For that you get unlimited data, BBM and the benefits of compressed data etc.

Seems worth it IF you want a BB plan. If not, you have to pay a lot more for data packages with other OS plans, I think.
    Wrong, only O2 charge like that, all the rest charge 5 for 500mb of bis data, that's all.

05-25-11 08:11 AM
    Maybe I'm on the forum....but some BlackBerry users are mindless slave drones lol. Push e-mail is antique at this point.
    05-28-11 01:32 PM
    If I could get the solid reliability and great tactile keyboard of a BB without the slow crappy BIS data bottleneck I'd be all over that.
    05-28-11 04:56 PM
    Maybe I'm on the forum....but some BlackBerry users are mindless slave drones lol. Push e-mail is antique at this point.
    Let's say you are right... Even if you are right, there are people who use BlackBerry not because of the push email system along. I for example, use it because of the physical keyboard and reliability. Yes, I have tried ALL the available phones in Canada(I work at BestBuy and I have tested how the "feel" on each device currently on the market) with physical keyboard and no I don't like the feel of it. (some are heavy on top, some keyboards and slide outs, etc, etc)

I find iPhone users to be the most mindless people on earth because they don't have different options of iPhone, but just iPhone!!! At least BlackBerry has variety that so each user can pick whatever fits the best.

Having said that... there are many devices not available in Canada. Droid Pro for example.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 05-28-11 at 05:06 PM.
    05-28-11 05:04 PM
    Sprint still doesnt have 'tiered' data plans. When i first got my Evo4g I was using 7-8GB of data a month. Setup a wifi network at work though and it dropped to 3gb now.

I remember when I had teh Bold that my data usage was SIGNIFICANTLY less. Probably from not browsing as much but BIS really reduces the amount of data usage.
    05-31-11 05:05 PM
    The only reason I would want to use a BlackBerry is because of its keyboard. Over here in Finland, the BlackBerry services are not supported so if you want to use BB, just get your unlimited mobile broadband and pop your SIM to your device.

You will enjoy the same push service with BB, Android, iPhone, Nokia e.t.c (You just need a SIM with mobile broadband subscription)

Only thing missing is the BB messenger which can be substituted by using PingChat or WhatsApp
    05-31-11 07:02 PM
    Push mail is antique? Client polling has been around a lot longer than server push- I remember back in the 90's my Eudora email client would poll every 30 seconds and boasting how fast email deliveries are. Android devices has the option to turn on/off background data, which eats battery because it's letting active apps poll every so seconds-minutes while BB's don't need to poll anything.

Also there's waaaaaaaay too many IM apps out there now, I'm not a fan of many of them, SMS, BBM, Yahoo and MSN are enough for me, I don't have any contacts that uses gtalk, pingchat, Whatsapp or such.
    05-31-11 10:09 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD