05-31-11 10:09 PM
44 12
tools
    Like the title of the thread says, what's the point of BIS these days?
    For example, any Android (maybe iPhone too, I don't know) will deliver your e-mail as fast as a BlackBerry. Sometimes I experienced a 30 seconds to 1 minute delay but that's it.

So why should I even get BIS anymore if I don't even use it / doesn't offer me anything of value?

Just pay 15$ / month on top of your contract to make your phone work. That's not even funny.
    05-16-11 04:58 PM
    Push email isn't just about getting your mail instantly. It's about battery and data erfficiency as well. With BIS, your phone doesn't have to constantly poll servers (like email, IM programs, etc...) and wait for notifications. It just sits there, almost idling, and the notifications get "pushed" (hence the name) to your phone.

Besides, there's no extra charge for BIS here. If anything, it saves people money because they end up using less data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Masahiro; 05-16-11 at 05:11 PM.
    05-16-11 05:03 PM
    My carrier requires a data plan for use of any smartphone. The plans are the same price, whether one has a BlackBerry, Android, or iPhone.
    05-16-11 05:06 PM
    My carrier requires a data plan for use of any smartphone. The plans are the same price, whether one has a BlackBerry, Android, or iPhone.
    I use VZW and it is the same for them I believe.
    05-16-11 05:10 PM
    The only difference I know of is BIS and BES. I still think paying for extra for BES is a rip...
    05-16-11 05:16 PM
    Same here...I use VMUSA (which is pre-pay) and I have to pay $10 extra per month for BIS
    05-16-11 05:17 PM
    If you weren't paying for BIS you'll be paying for a different data plan with a different phone cause bb has to have BIS.........unless I'm mistaken.
    05-16-11 05:30 PM
    Like the title of the thread says, what's the point of BIS these days?
    For example, any Android (maybe iPhone too, I don't know) will deliver your e-mail as fast as a BlackBerry. Sometimes I experienced a 30 seconds to 1 minute delay but that's it.

So why should I even get BIS anymore if I don't even use it / doesn't offer me anything of value?

Just pay 15$ / month on top of your contract to make your phone work. That's not even funny.
    I don't get it!! why do you need to worry about stuff that you won't be coming in contact with..
    just get an Iphone 4

http://forums.crackberry.com/f235/wh...-other-614105/
    05-16-11 05:35 PM
    "Why do I need to get BIS" doesn't make a lot of sense...

Either you get a BB data plan or you get a regular smartphone data plan, based on which phone you use. You don't have to "get" BIS...

This at least goes for the US, there's no difference.
    Last edited by papped; 05-16-11 at 05:59 PM.
    05-16-11 05:47 PM
    BBM, push e-mail, much lower data usage to get the same information... Oh wait your just trolling again since you said you would never get the phone, so don't and Alpha Michael Foxtrot!
    05-16-11 09:05 PM
    I get unlimited data on my carrier, but after a certain amount of data you get slower speeds. I reach that A LOT Faster on my iphone 4 (which I've been using for the past 8 months or so), and I went back to my 9700 for the past few days because I'm tired of apps, and I want a fast messenger. Yeah, the 9700 feels older (especially since I've had it for years lol), but it does what I need it to do, keep me in touch with my friends and family better than my iphone does. My only woe is the camera on the 9700. I also had the 9800 for a few months, but it wasn't that big of a leap, and the 5 mpx camera was dirt compared to the iphones. Battery life was subpar as well. I am going to get the 9900 as soon as it's released. the 9000 was a fantastic phone and lasted me A LONG time. I hope the same goes for the 9900!
    Gregory Ryan likes this.
    05-17-11 06:07 AM
    I'm on vodafone uk payg, until july BIS is free for me. From 1st july ill have to pay 5 a month for it. If I was on iphone I'd already be paying 5 a month for iphone data service (vodafone differentiates this from normal inter net packs, don't know why?) Or if I was on android / nokia / windows phone I'd be paying 5 a month for normal data services.

So whats the difference? If you were in uk you'd have the option of paying 5 or not getting any data service at all, which kind of negates the point of a smartphone.

BIS also has a higher data allowance than the iphone or regular one.

05-17-11 06:13 AM
    This thread is a fail

05-17-11 06:22 AM
    When I look on MetroPCS & Virgin Mobile USA websites it seems that they will charge you extra in addition to the regular data plan if you get BIS. Go to their sites & you'll see it.

05-17-11 07:31 AM
    I agree with you all. It really does not matter which phone you still have to pay for a data plan. So its up to each person what they like. As for Metro PCS there was a promo that was actually cheaper

05-17-11 11:47 AM
    The only difference I know of is BIS and BES. I still think paying for extra for BES is a rip...
    VZW and AT&T both charge extra for any "corporate" (i.e. Exchange server) access as well. So there really isn't any difference between a BB and another device with regards to differentiating between BIS/"regular" data on one hand and BES/"corporate" data on the other.

Same here...I use VMUSA (which is pre-pay) and I have to pay $10 extra per month for BIS
    Would you have to pay extra for data with an iOS, Android, or Windows Phone device? I think you would.
    05-17-11 01:40 PM
    When I look on MetroPCS & Virgin Mobile USA websites it seems that they will charge you extra in addition to the regular data plan if you get BIS. Go to their sites & you'll see it.

That's because they are budget, prepaid carriers.
    05-17-11 03:47 PM
    VZW and AT&T both charge extra for any "corporate" (i.e. Exchange server) access as well. So there really isn't any difference between a BB and another device with regards to differentiating between BIS/"regular" data on one hand and BES/"corporate" data on the other.

Would you have to pay extra for data with an iOS, Android, or Windows Phone device? I think you would.
    Not true - I have full Exchange ActiveSync with PUSH email on my Droid Pro for the 29.99 data plan. I've never had to use the 44.99 data plan on Android.

When will people finally let the PUSH EMAIL issue die? Every mobile platform has push email now. My gmail and corporate email hit my phone within seconds, almost always faster than when they arrive on my pc or work laptop on vpn.

By the way, BIS is only true push if you're using the carrier BIS email address, gmail or yahoo mail. Everything else on BIS is polling. BES gives true push email.
    Maliberti likes this.
    05-17-11 05:43 PM
    By the way, BIS is only true push if you're using the carrier BIS email address, gmail or yahoo mail. Everything else on BIS is polling. BES gives true push email.
    Yes but it's server polling, not client polling... That is different.
    05-17-11 06:30 PM
    OK let me take down all your arguments pro-bis.
    Better battery life because of push? The battery holds (for how I use my phone) 20 to 30 hours, from 100% to 0%. This is without the use of e-mail whatsoever. My other phone, which is an Android phone, holds for 30 to 40 hours, even though it has no BIS and the Gmail app just checks for mail. So that's a no-go, doesn't matter if the battery if it's better, if it still sucks anyway.

BBM: > WhatsApp, LiveProfile: I use those anyway because they connect not only to other BlackBerries but to iPhones and Androids too, whatever you go around this, those are still better than BBM.

Data plans. OK, maybe in the US and the UK. But most of the countries in Europe for example, (Sweden, France, Romania, Italy which I know for sure) have standard subscriptions like this:

Panther 8 - costs 8 euros and you get besides texts and voice minutes, 200MB of data. You can't use your BlackBerry, if you want to use your BlackBerry you have to pay FOR ANOTHER 10 euros for 1MB of BIS data, the other data becoming obsolete (gets removed). But in the end you pay 18 euros for the same thing. If you had an iPhone, you would have just paid 8 euros and enjoyed the 200MB anyway.

Pay as you go is not offered, you can't use a BlackBerry on Pay as you go.

Another way would be: get a subscription with no data included and add a BlackBerry plan to that, yes, that would make sense, the only problem being the cheapest one is still 8 euros, with no data but more minutes/texts. So you still have to pay 10 euros for the cheapest BIS option, though, you end up paying 18 euros. Any way you think about it, using BIS doubles the subscription you pay.

It might be just these countries, IDK, but something is obviously wrong here if you guys have BIS for the same money as normal data.

Pay as you go charges 2 euros for 500MB of data, BIS charges 10 euros for 1 MB of data. The compression rate is 6 to 1, that means 1 MB of data means 6MB of normal data. Where's the win in that? 2 euros for 500MB vs 10 euros for 6MB.

Without wanting to sound as a ****, do you get why I don't see the benefits of BIS?
    P.S - Yes, even though I don't plan on buying the 9900 is not because I suddenly hate BlackBerry, it's because of financial issues, and I will still use my Bold 9000 as long as I can, in tandem with an Android which I will use for internet. I'll just use the Bold without BIS and that's that. I wouldn't be here "trolling" as you say if I wasn't a BlackBerry fan, I'm just trying, with this post, to understand why people still use BIS. I didn't knew the situation in the US, but in Europe it's totally different.
    Last edited by pifexx; 05-17-11 at 06:57 PM.
    05-17-11 06:52 PM
    I understand what you are trying to get an answer to. What I don't get is why you're asking it in the first place..

It's like me wondering "why iTunes?" when I don't use any Apple products. People use it because it's shoved in there as the main hub for app purchases on IOS.

It's just part of the platform...

And your BBM argument has huge gaping holes in it... I can say AIM > BBM because it's platform agnostic (sort of). However AIM clients have a ton of issues and the aim server is far less reliable, has to be signed in all the time, etc, etc. It's not instantly better than BBM just because it supports more platforms...
    05-17-11 07:36 PM
    Not true - I have full Exchange ActiveSync with PUSH email on my Droid Pro for the 29.99 data plan. I've never had to use the 44.99 data plan on Android.
    I had full EAS with my company's server at my last job on the $30 plan as well. I'm not saying it doesn't work, I'm saying that the carriers require the more expensive plan. Tell VZW you want corporate email and see what they say.

05-18-11 12:08 AM
    LOL...

This thread is quickly going to change into BlackBerry vs. Android Vs. iOS/iPhone. It's already at why BlackBerry when Android/iPhone can also do it but better...
    05-18-11 01:08 AM
    We've actually gotten notification emails from ATT that an iPhone was on a personal plan and accessing EAS and was required to be changed to the corp plan. It was a user's personal line/phone that we ported and took responsibility for. It took about a month or two for them to notify us...
    05-18-11 01:30 AM
    I understand what you are trying to get an answer to. What I don't get is why you're asking it in the first place..

It's like me wondering "why iTunes?" when I don't use any Apple products. People use it because it's shoved in there as the main hub for app purchases on IOS.

It's just part of the platform...

And your BBM argument has huge gaping holes in it... I can say AIM > BBM because it's platform agnostic (sort of). However AIM clients have a ton of issues and the aim server is far less reliable, has to be signed in all the time, etc, etc. It's not instantly better than BBM just because it supports more platforms...
    Have you even tried LiveProfile? It works like BBM - push messaging, always open, can't close it, uses PIN - blazing fast, very reliable. Try it now, speak later.
    05-18-11 04:12 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD