And?... Would that be the same carrier that's 45% owned by the world's largest GSM network

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    At least with CDMA my phone actually has service where I am. As opposed to any GSM phones.
    Maine and SolarPlexus like this.
    05-03-11 03:08 PM
    I think,in the end,everyone will be happy this time. I also can't wait until LTE unites everyone.It'll be so much easier and faster to roll out new devices.
    Amen to that brother

...and so endeth my CDMA bashing

05-03-11 03:16 PM
    Down CDM, DOWN.

We, WE have the priority as we are the elites.

DOWN I SAY. lol
    05-03-11 03:35 PM
    ...also, while we�re on the topic of numbering, what will RIM do when they�ve used all the 9XXXs? Are they going to go up to 10000? Kind of trivial but interesting I think�
    They could do what ATI did and go with the roman numeral X###

BB Bold X700, X780, X900
    05-03-11 05:02 PM
    It's going to take many years before the 3g hardware can be removed, even if the devices all support LTE...
    05-03-11 05:34 PM
    I hope the BB 9900 doesnt run on EDGE if 3G and 4G aren't available.

I thought the 9930 was better cause of the added 30. Anyways, i hope the BB BOld 9900 delivers. I am shocked they didnt reveal more handsets this week because everyday that goes by only gives Android and iOS new opportunities to get new customers. RIMM is truly waiting till the last minute to get into the game. Cell phone users could play YouTube videos on their phones 4 years ago and it wasnt till the Torch came out before BB users were allowed to play YouTube videos (Even though it was still choppy with buffering issues).

I dont get RIMM's strategy. They are going to end up like PALM. Same rehashed form factor with the same played out OS.

The BB Bold 9900 should have came with a 8.0 mega pixel camera.
    05-06-11 12:48 PM
    Uuh, so what do you hope it would run on? 1G?

05-06-11 01:03 PM

I thought the 9930 was better cause of the added 30. Anyways, i hope the BB BOld 9900 delivers. I am shocked they didnt reveal more handsets this week because everyday that goes by only gives Android and iOS new opportunities to get new customers. RIMM is truly waiting till the last minute to get into the game. Cell phone users could play YouTube videos on their phones 4 years ago and it wasnt till the Torch came out before BB users were allowed to play YouTube videos (Even though it was still choppy with buffering issues).

I dont get RIMM's strategy. They are going to end up like PALM. Same rehashed form factor with the same played out OS.

1. so you'd rather the phone have no connection than to run on EDGE?
    2. the 9930 is just the CDMA variant
    3. i reluctantly agree, but this form factor is what works for me and i would never get a full touchscreen phone
    4. I can play youtube videos on my 8330 and could do so ever since I've owned it
    5. you may not like the form factor or the OS, but it's what ultimately works with RIM's customers, otherwise RIM wouldn't have customers.
    6. megapixels have nothing to do with picture quality - you think a 12megapixel cannon point & shoot has better image quality than a 12megapixel DSLR?
    05-06-11 01:04 PM

Even more painful than your opening post
    Last edited by Phill_UK; 05-07-11 at 06:31 PM.
    05-06-11 01:34 PM

yes it will run on edge if no 3G or 4G is available. edge will be around at least five more years.

the cdma version is not superior to gsm version. the only reason the cdma version has gsm radios is so it will work in europe. keep in mind those gsm radios in the cdma version most likely won't support hspa+ either...

PG
    05-06-11 05:28 PM
    What a dumb thread, the 9930 is called 9930 because it is the CDMA equivalent of the 9900...similar to how the Storm 9500 is GSM-Europe only vs. Storm 9530-CDMA verizon but also including GSM bands
    05-06-11 06:41 PM
    How long until Blackberry's start running Android?
    05-06-11 07:31 PM
    Misinformed, uninformed, Deformed. I'm sorry I got intrigued enough to post but I had to add my wooden nickle.

05-06-11 11:47 PM
    How long until Blackberry's start running Android?
    This one should be able to, it has the same chipset as the Dinc2, just clocked faster I think. Of course someone from RIM would likely have to build the OS I think due to proprietary hardware in the device. If not someone is bound to give it a try.

05-07-11 02:43 AM
    OP I would give up on posting and do a bit more reading you're only embarrassing yourself here....
    05-07-11 01:47 PM
    The GSM users should be getting the 9930. I don't get it. What the **** happened to the BB Storm 3 and BB Torch 2? Only 1 new device was announced yesterday. Everyday that goes by, RIMM just loses more ground and customers. Not a smart move RIMM.

I guess RIM could call the GSM Bold the 9931 to make you feel better.
    05-08-11 09:52 AM
    strange how someone can be a Blackberry fan since 2009 and still not know the company name is RIM, not RIMM.
    05-08-11 10:19 AM
    strange how someone can be a Blackberry fan since 2009 and still not know the company name is RIM, not RIMM.
    Glad to see im not the only one who caught this. Smh.
    05-08-11 12:15 PM
    They are listed as RIMM on NASDAQ. Research In Motion Limited (USA): NASDAQ:RIMM quotes & news - Google Finance
    05-08-11 12:23 PM
    Given the way some people are obsessed with the share price these days it is no wonder they have slipped into using rimm.

Outside north america it definitely seems like the focus was more on the blackberry brand instead as everyone has heard of blackberry, but far less have heard of rim.
    05-08-11 02:07 PM
    well objectively... even though i'm on a gsm network, if my carrier uses one of the hsdpa bands avaiable on the 9930 i would take the 9930... just because that one band you loose will result in a gain of access to CDMA calling and internetting...

so in my mind the 9930 is more flexible.
    05-09-11 11:02 PM
    well objectively... even though i'm on a gsm network, if my carrier uses one of the hsdpa bands avaiable on the 9930 i would take the 9930... just because that one band you loose will result in a gain of access to CDMA calling and internetting...

so in my mind the 9930 is more flexible.
    Keep in mind that CDMA devices typically cannot be used on any CDMA networks other than the one they are branded to, and VZW and Sprint do not offer prepaid plans. Since Boost and Virgin sell their own branded devices now, you probably will not be able to use a Sprint branded 9930 on Boost or Virgin.

Even if you buy a VZW or Sprint 9930 and unlock it, you cannot roam on VZW or Sprint if your carrier is AT&T or T-Mobile.
    05-09-11 11:07 PM
    and Apple is listed as AAPL. and Microsoft is MSFT.
    05-09-11 11:21 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD