It would be nice for using your phone as a modem, on an iphone you can turn the hot spot option on and anything in the viscinity can connect to it and use its data plan. This kicks tetherings ****.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-11 05:40 PM
    Sprint will in november. Stop crying man.

The carrier has to enable it.
    10-04-11 05:43 PM
    Wifi hotspot battery life is so absolutely terrible that I never used it, unless you are plugged in to a charger, in those cases I always have wifi anyhow...
    10-04-11 05:50 PM
    Deja Vu.
    How many copies of this thread did the OP create?
    10-04-11 05:59 PM
    It is a VERY valuable feature for me. Not one that I use too often, but when I have had to have it, it has been invaluable.
    10-04-11 06:06 PM
    Hummm making your phone a wifi hotspot using your data plan because there is no wifi to use otherwise is faster then tethering?

They both cost unless you have a workaround so why not just tether unless you're planning on using a lot more devices to connect. Then unless you have an unlimited plan (which most are capped at 5gb) you better watch how much all of those devices are using.
    10-04-11 06:34 PM
    Hummm making your phone a wifi hotspot using your data plan because there is no wifi to use otherwise is faster then tethering?

They both cost unless you have a workaround so why not just tether unless you're planning on using a lot more devices to connect. Then unless you have an unlimited plan (which most are capped at 5gb) you better watch how much all of those devices are using.
    If you have a way to efficiently tether my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 to my 9930, I'll give you $50. I did it all the time with my Android phone.
    10-04-11 08:01 PM
    It's a carrier enabled feature for Blackberries. Here in Australia, all iPhones have the feature. Carrier subsidised ones AND unlocked ones. Oh, and carriers don't charge extra for it, because you are only using data you're already paying for!
    10-04-11 08:04 PM
    If you have a way to efficiently tether my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 to my 9930, I'll give you $50. I did it all the time with my Android phone.
    Well you got me there, sorry.

It's a carrier enabled feature for Blackberries. Here in Australia, all iPhones have the feature. Carrier subsidised ones AND unlocked ones. Oh, and carriers don't charge extra for it, because you are only using data you're already paying for!
    We can wish in one hand and _ in the other here on that one.
    10-04-11 08:19 PM
    Does that app called "Tether" work on the 9930?
    10-04-11 08:21 PM
    yes it does
    10-05-11 12:05 AM
    If you tether to your laptop, you dont need those those apps to do it. You can either configure manually or use a function by Blackberry Desktop Software, click on Tools > Start Mobile Internet.

- Charles
    10-05-11 12:09 AM
    If you tether to your laptop, you dont need those those apps to do it. You can either configure manually or use a function by Blackberry Desktop Software, click on Tools > Start Mobile Internet.

- Charles
    That only works if your carrier / plan allows tethering. Many don't.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    10-05-11 12:36 AM
    If you don't have an iphone, you just don't have an iphone

10-05-11 01:23 AM
    If you don't have an iphone, you just don't have an iphone

And thank God for that

ritesh likes this.
    10-05-11 01:30 AM
    The reason I mention and asked this is because I asked a apple rep if you can use ure current sim card as a data plan source for the ipad because I don't want to pay seperately for an ipad plan. He showed me an option on the iphone that turns it into a wifi hot spot by selecting it in options. And then on the ipad you simply connect to the new wifi hot spot that is ure phone. I know these aren't iphone forums but that is much better than tethering and would be a big benefit since you don't have to get another plan to have 3G capability on a tablet.

10-05-11 01:53 AM
    Are you on AT&T? If so you need a tethering plan even for wifi hotspot and the rep is completely wrong...
    10-05-11 02:33 AM
    Does UK T-Mobile do tethering as part of the "unlimited data" (capped at 500meg fair usage ) or is it extra?
    10-05-11 03:25 AM
    From what I understand, a patch will be coming out for 9900's enabling the capability for 'HotSpotting'!
    10-05-11 07:37 AM
    Thethering is cool. I have never done it, but it does sound cool. I wish I could do it on my att blackberry torch 9800. Do you guys do it?

10-05-11 07:42 AM
    Thethering is cool. I have never done it, but it does sound cool. I wish I could do it on my att blackberry torch 9800. Do you guys do it?

I use tethering on my laptop, but what I'm describing is different; the ability to use your phone as a mode for a tablet or laptop without having to open up DM and connect it via USB - all by enableing a wifi hot spot thing on the phone and anyone in the area can connect to it if they have the password.

10-05-11 03:21 PM
    I use tethering on my laptop, but what I'm describing is different; the ability to use your phone as a mode for a tablet or laptop without having to open up DM and connect it via USB - all by enableing a wifi hot spot thing on the phone and anyone in the area can connect to it if they have the password.

It's a nifty feature to have. I powered three laptops at the office once, albeit for a short time, when we had an outage.

Have also used at home. Was able to connect 4 wi-fi peripherals to it. 4G Hotspot is pretty fast, too.

I have heard of some people actually foregoing internet service for it, but I don't know that I would want to subject my hardware to that.
    10-05-11 03:27 PM
    I have heard of some people actually foregoing internet service for it, but I don't know that I would want to subject my hardware to that.
    I could only see that if you minimally use internet in the first place... Even on LTE the connection to a tower is just not consistent or reliable...
    10-05-11 03:47 PM
    I used the hotspot on my android phones all the time. But what I realized is that 90% of the time, it was just me that needed connectivity, so I'm perfectly happy using a usb cable and Tether. It would be great if the Tether people made an app to run on android so you could tether more than just windows or mac machines to a bb.
    10-05-11 04:20 PM
    It would be available on Bell as a update in the coming months

I hope my carrier does allows it
    10-05-11 05:09 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD