Why did RIM make it to where we can't take out our memory card with the battery still in? They did it on the 9800 and many more phones, why did they choose to make it a pain on the 9900??
    05-31-12 09:16 AM
    I think it is that way so you can't yank the card out while something is writing data to your card. Especially with all the apps that write data to the card now.

Kind of like how Windows tells you it is safe to remove drive on a PC. Yes, we have all probably just yanked out a flashdrive or external here and there, but I have damaged one in the past and I now take caution when removing external drives.

So in turn, I think it is much better and safer to have the device powered down, battery pulled, to take the card out.
    05-31-12 09:45 AM
    1. design can't permit that.. 2. If forced... you have to break memory card or take BB to service center to remove it. ... don't try it... Hot Swap is different...
    05-31-12 09:53 AM
    My 9930 is buried inside an Otterbox Defender but I wondered in another thread on sd card damage whether one could do a bit of filing/dremeling of the battery edge to allow insertion/removal of the card. Obviously, you do not want to breach the shell of the battery so I don't know if the tolerances would allow it.
    05-31-12 10:19 AM
    What do you mean hotswap?

And I've thought about the battery thing, but I don't want to take any chances! I bet someone could make an extension with a ribbon that allows the sd card to sit behind the battery or something
    05-31-12 11:34 AM
    My 9850 has a safely remove media card option in storage. Not sure if it shuts it off as I've never tried it.
    05-31-12 12:54 PM
    I bet there is a software issue with removing or inserting a card while the phone is booted up. Unless the software allows the memory card would not "mount" and could not be read.

Maybe in BB10 but RIM designed the memory card to NOT be removed or inserted without removing the battery for a reason and not to just p** people off!
    wolfee48 likes this.
    05-31-12 01:25 PM
    I know they didn't do it just to p*** us off. I didn't say that. I was just curious of the reason.
    05-31-12 04:13 PM
    talking to a guy who works tech support at RIM he's said thats he's 90% sure it to make sure the card isn't being written to when removed.
    05-31-12 08:37 PM
    Why did RIM make it to where we can't take out our memory card with the battery still in? They did it on the 9800 and many more phones, why did they choose to make it a pain on the 9900??
    I think they just didn't have space. Don't forget the 9900 was designed to be the "thinnest BlackBerry ever"
    FF22 likes this.
    05-31-12 09:16 PM
    talking to a guy who works tech support at RIM he's said thats he's 90% sure it to make sure the card isn't being written to when removed.

Exactly, follows my first post.

Feeding my CrackBerry addiction with Tapatalk
    05-31-12 09:26 PM
    I think they just didn't have space. Don't forget the 9900 was designed to be the "thinnest BlackBerry ever"

Very true... Somebody always has to gripe.

05-31-12 09:27 PM
    I wasn't griping. I was simply asking.

But I looked further into it and a lot more app info is being stored on the memory card than on the other phones. So like many of you said, I'm sure its so we can't remove it while its being written to.
    05-31-12 10:10 PM
    I wasn't griping. I was simply asking.

But I looked further into it and a lot more app info is being stored on the memory card than on the other phones. So like many of you said, I'm sure its so we can't remove it while its being written to.

I wasn't meaning for to sound like I was taking a shot at you. Sorry...

05-31-12 10:23 PM
    How is it possible on all the other OS7 BB's and many before that, to be able to remove the micro sd whenever required and not on the 9900? Whatever happens to other BB, the same will happen to the 9900 if micro sd is removed while being written. If they were being cautious, they would have placed it below the battery.

The 9900's microsd placement seems like a mistake.I think there was dis-coordination between the battery designers and the phone designers.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-01-12 02:16 AM
    I believe it is safer that way so you wouldn't corrupt it then cry on forums that the memory card stopped working.
    06-01-12 07:24 AM
    What if the card is being written to when the battery is pulled? I'm in the "it's a stupid design" camp. Not that I will ever take mine out.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-01-12 08:53 AM
    What if the card is being written to when the battery is pulled? I'm in the "it's a stupid design" camp. Not that I will ever take mine out.
    Precisely why the write-error idea is not accurate. Its purely a design casualty.
    06-01-12 12:43 PM
    Same reason why their engineers chose to put in a very small capacity battery. They didn't think. They were too obsessed with making the device "thin". It's as thick as my friend's iPhone 4s if measured from the center of the phone.

You have to power off to switch out the card is just unacceptable.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    06-01-12 12:48 PM
    I was thinking about that when I pulled my battery this morning. I'm going with design as well.
    06-01-12 01:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD