I love the 9930 so far but in comparing to the iphone4 why cant blackberry get their browing experience to be better? If they could render full web pages and add just a tad of speed this device would seel like hot cakes. I hate saying this but if it could be iphone like touch and web and BB keyboard and form factor it would sell and blow IOS out of the water.

Any way to get full web pages instead of halfs and mobiles?? Has anyone found a way to increase the browing speed?
    08-20-11 08:50 PM
    the new BB have a vastly improved browsing experience over any of the previous gen BBs. I played with one for a good hour today and was amazed at how much better it was. They might not be android or iOS level but they are not far behind. I really think in a few months when the new QMX OS on the HH arrives it will be on par with the best browsers out there
    chiefbroski likes this.
    08-20-11 08:55 PM
    I think rim is trying to hold on to their older crowd/corporate crowd also. But hopefully by os7 showing some fun and a serious side they will make more competitive improvements.
    08-20-11 09:03 PM
    Any way to get full web pages instead of halfs and mobiles??
    if you get directed to a mobile site this is NOTHING to do with RIM, its to do with the website having a detection code for mobiles and then sending them there. hence why some phones get `browser unsupported` messages on some sites, they run off browser recognition, there isnt much ya can do about that.

as for speed, the video done by bla1ze shows the 9900 to be comparable with iOS4.
    08-20-11 09:09 PM
    Surely the phone can override or mask the device detection. For instance, when I load the New York Post site on my 9000 with OS5, I get the crappy mobile site (even when I had the browser detection set to Firefox or IE). But when I loaded it on my Torch or 9700 with OS6, I'd get the full site.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-11 09:14 PM
    Surely the phone can override or mask the device detection. For instance, when I load the New York Post site on my 9000 with OS5, I get the crappy mobile site (even when I had the browser detection set to Firefox or IE). But when I loaded it on my Torch or 9700 with OS6, I'd get the full site.

well theres no way to change the user agent (what the device says it is, and what websites read) in the browser in os6 and os7, however most UA redirects and built in javascript, so you could disable javascript to try getting around this, however this could lead to not a full site or layout loading if the sites your visiting use javascript.
    08-20-11 09:20 PM
    I have and use both and in no way is the BlackBerry browser horrible and the i4's the best ever. Remember it does lack flash. The browser in OS7 is competitive with the others. Is it better? No. At some sites though it most definitely is.
    What's key is RIM is competitive. Future firmware updates will help the browser and it may very well be better than the others sooner than you think.
    08-20-11 09:26 PM
    The browser is not comparable to iOS. It's much better, but it's stii behind. What bugs me scout it is that even on a new BB it's still behind on the iPhone 4 which was released over a year ago. The iPhone 5 will completely blast it out of the water, and once again RIM will look like kids playing in a mans world.
    08-20-11 09:28 PM
    The browser is not comparable to iOS. It's much better, but it's stii behind. What bugs me scout it is that even on a new BB it's still behind on the iPhone 4 which was released over a year ago. The iPhone 5 will completely blast it out of the water, and once again RIM will look like kids playing in a mans world.
    thats just not realistic though. the iOS browser is NOT a year old for iOS4, its as old as the latest iOS update, browsers are updated all the time in the OS, true the hardware is a year old, but lets be honest the hardware supplied by apple is not exactly cheap rubbish either.

as for will iOS5 be faster, well ya know what, im sure for most people it wont be. your browser is only as fast as your data connection, so if your carrier`s pipes cant get ya faster data access then its not really gonna benifit many people. if your sat under a 7.2Mbps tower, doesnt matter that your BB 9900 or whatever phone can handle 14.4Mbps, becuase ya jst wont get it.
    08-20-11 09:39 PM
    I'm not a crazy browser, but other than flash support, I would say that my browsing experience is on par with the Droid browser for what I use it for.

And iPhone... browser is pretty good, but the Safari browser definitely has some bugs of its own
    08-20-11 09:42 PM
    I think the browser on the new 9900 is actually really good. I am coming from a Desire which was running OS 2.2, and I thought the browsing experience was only alright. It wasn't fluid or fast by any means. Sure it had flash support, but honestly it barely worked. I much prefer browsing on the bold over that despite the lack of flash support, smaller screen, etc. I can't really speak for the newer Android devices as I have never spent much time with them, but from experience they didn't perform much better than the desire. As for comparing it to Safari, I don't think its any worse when used for generic web browsing. I get a lot more of the checkerboard pattern browsing on an iPhone 4 than I do on my bold. And especially since neither has support for flash, I don't see a clear winner.

08-20-11 10:11 PM
    thats just not realistic though. the iOS browser is NOT a year old for iOS4, its as old as the latest iOS update, browsers are updated all the time in the OS, true the hardware is a year old, but lets be honest the hardware supplied by apple is not exactly cheap rubbish either.

as for will iOS5 be faster, well ya know what, im sure for most people it wont be. your browser is only as fast as your data connection, so if your carrier`s pipes cant get ya faster data access then its not really gonna benifit many people. if your sat under a 7.2Mbps tower, doesnt matter that your BB 9900 or whatever phone can handle 14.4Mbps, becuase ya jst wont get it.
    And how long has RIM been in business? They have had years to get their browser running up to snuff and have done nothing with it. It always kills me when people say "But IOS has been around longer and should be faster". RIM is the elder in the phone business and has continued to ignore or hasn't known how to get their browser up to par with iOS or even Android.

And to your point on browser speed you are incorrect. While data connection speed are what they are a browser can be made to run faster with software tweaks and better hardware. If what you were saying were true then all browsers would be equal with the sme data connection, which is obviously not true. I can take my iPhone 4 and and 9930 and load the same web page on each. The iPhone 4 will win because the browser is better and faster on the iPhone due to the hardware and software running it.
    Chapdaddy likes this.
    08-20-11 10:15 PM
    I always thought it had something to do with sending all data through RIM's data center for compression; adding those extra hops and data crunching adds time.
    marcomendez and rage763 like this.
    08-20-11 10:27 PM
    How bout security on IOS did they just ignored them?
    dunerzr likes this.
    08-20-11 10:50 PM
    And how long has RIM been in business? They have had years to get their browser running up to snuff and have done nothing with it. It always kills me when people say "But IOS has been around longer and should be faster". RIM is the elder in the phone business and has continued to ignore or hasn't known how to get their browser up to par with iOS or even Android.

And to your point on browser speed you are incorrect. While data connection speed are what they are a browser can be made to run faster with software tweaks and better hardware. If what you were saying were true then all browsers would be equal with the sme data connection, which is obviously not true. I can take my iPhone 4 and and 9930 and load the same web page on each. The iPhone 4 will win because the browser is better and faster on the iPhone due to the hardware and software running it.
    Are you serious? Go use a 9700 on OS5, then use a 9900, worlds apart. BlackBerry now has a browser that is on par with the other platforms in the game. OS7 greatly improves on the brand new browser that was introduced in OS6.

08-20-11 11:20 PM
    I prefer the browsing experience on a blackberry. Sure, the iPhone and Androids have a larger screen and may be a second or so faster at loading a webpage. However, nothing can replace the convenience of having keyboard shortcuts and a track pad cursor. You can easily switch between tabs, scroll to the top or bottom of the page instantly, and click on a link bunched together with a bunch of other links, all with just barely moving one thumb.
    08-20-11 11:22 PM
    And how long has RIM been in business? They have had years to get their browser running up to snuff and have done nothing with it.
    Yeah. They haven't done anything except purchase a company that specializes in mobile browsers. Hint: The 9800, the first phone with the upgraded browser, is named after the company... This was also only two years ago (almost to the day), and look how far the browser has come in that time period.
    08-20-11 11:25 PM
    The iPhone 5 will completely blast it out of the water, and once again RIM will look like kids playing in a mans world.
    You have to give it to Jobs. He's created a cult-like following. iFanBoys who have exactly zero information about the iPhone 5 at this time are already convinced it's going to destroy the competition in every respect. The other day I had a coworker argue with me that the iPhone 5 was going to have better notification than my 9900. The only thing supporting his positions was "you know Apple".
    08-20-11 11:49 PM
    You have to give it to Jobs. He's created a cult-like following. iFanBoys who have exactly zero information about the iPhone 5 at this time are already convinced it's going to destroy the competition in every respect. The other day I had a coworker argue with me that the iPhone 5 was going to have better notification than my 9900. The only thing supporting his positions was "you know Apple".
    Some insane amount of people would buy the iphone 5 sight unseen.

08-20-11 11:52 PM
    we have seen the notification system apple will be using in iOS 5. its very similar to andriod and takes some cues from RIM too. I have to agree it will be a very nice system. better than the OS7 system...time will tell on that one
    bdad14 likes this.
    08-20-11 11:58 PM
    The new iPhone notification system is actually pretty well documented, we know how it works. And I have to admit it looks pretty awesome. The iPhone has had a lot of catching up to do to get its notifications anywhere near RIM's. But just the act of putting all of your notifications on the lock screen is a huge step in the right direction for Apple. Back when I had the iPhone 4 I found myself having to resort to 3rd party apps like Boxcar to handle my notifications and even then it was awful - I had to actually go into the app to "confirm" a notification that I'd already dealt with, etc. In iOS5 you can drag a notification window down from any screen you're on and there are all of your notifications consolidated into one window. Just swipe on one to take you to the relevant app. If the iPhone5 has an LED notification light then it's a serious contender in the messaging stakes as far as I'm concerned.
    bdad14 likes this.
    08-21-11 12:19 AM
    RIM is very very SLOW. They take ages to fix bugs. The fact is, RIM needs better engineers! they are simply not good enough. funny thing is, 9900/9930 hasn't got auto focus camera because it is slim (or is it? slimmer than 9900 came in the market 2 years ago!). on the other hand, samsung galaxy s II is 8.5 mm (2 mm thinner than 9900) & still got auto focus.
    Another negative point about RIM is, they test a device after launching it. When users get fed up with lags & bugs, then they come up with updates. Whereas, apple test their product rigorously before it comes to the customers. thats why apple users are happy & reputation is increasing day by day.
    08-21-11 02:11 AM
    It will take more than a better browser and touchscreen for RIM to "blow [Apple] out of the water."
    08-21-11 02:45 AM
    [QUOTE=Sharke;6596030]The new iPhone notification system is actually pretty well documented, we know how it works. And I have to admit it looks pretty awesome. The iPhone has had a lot of catching up to do to get its notifications anywhere near RIM's. But just the act of putting all of your notifications on the lock screen is a huge step in the right direction for Apple. Back when I had the iPhone 4 I found myself having to resort to 3rd party apps like Boxcar to handle my notifications and even then it was awful - I had to actually go into the app to "confirm" a notification that I'd already dealt with, etc. In iOS5 you can drag a notification window down from any screen you're on and there are all of your notifications consolidated into one window. Just swipe on one to take you to the relevant app. If the iPhone5 has an LED notification light then it's a serious contender in the messaging stakes as far as I'm concerned.[/QUOTE

As interested as I am in the 9900, If the iPhone 5 has led notification (on the front of the phone) I'm all in. It's the one thing that I really miss from blackberry. I do miss the keyboard; however, the missing blinky light is the one I miss daily.
    marcomendez likes this.
    08-21-11 02:58 AM
    If the iPhone5 has an LED notification light then it's a serious contender in the messaging stakes as far as I'm concerned.
    If what has been gleaned from Apple is true, then this will be a feature of IP5.
    08-21-11 03:20 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD