I'm the only one left of all my friends and family that has a BB.
    I'm proud of it but I'm starting to get worn down with all the things
    the phone won't due. Compared to other phones it has to many limitation.
    My biggest disappointment is it won't open up videofrom all my friends
    Iphone. There Iphones apparantly open much larger files.
    So i'm getting ton of emails everyday that forces me to use my computer.
    My friends can view these large file all day long. Why ??
    01-29-12 08:38 AM
    like what specifically? I have downloaded a 2-3 GB movie over http without issue... And it played fine.
    01-29-12 08:44 AM
    I'm the only one left of all my friends and family that has a BB.
    I'm proud of it but I'm starting to get worn down with all the things
    the phone won't due. Compared to other phones it has to many limitation.
    My biggest disappointment is it won't open up videofrom all my friends
    Iphone. There Iphones apparantly open much larger files.
    So i'm getting ton of emails everyday that forces me to use my computer.
    My friends can view these large file all day long. Why ??
    What exactly are you talking about that your phone cant do aside from the large e mails?
    Last edited by Tank1978; 01-29-12 at 09:37 AM.
    01-29-12 08:53 AM
    Maybe I just don't know how to use the phone. When I get an email that
    3-5 megs and I oen the attachment it says file is to large to open.
    Is there a way I can convert my email to something else on my phone to open it ?
    01-29-12 09:26 AM
    RIM gets a kickback from your carrier for limiting bandwidth usage. Thus the data compression, truncated emails, email size limitations... Without that money RIM would go out of business, so the issue is not going away ever.
    01-29-12 09:27 AM
    RIM gets a kickback from your carrier for limiting bandwidth usage. Thus the data compression, truncated emails, email size limitations... Without that money RIM would go out of business, so the issue is not going away ever.
    Thanks palomartian for that answer. It's not what i wanted to hear but thats life.
    Are other smartphones like the androids have these limitation ?
    01-29-12 09:53 AM
    Thanks palomartian for that answer. It's not what i wanted to hear but thats life.
    If you are talking about email (I think you are) then it is the service that limits what you can do. (or services in RIM's case). So what you are seeing here is a BIS service limit on how big an email you can receive. On Android or iPhone you should only be limited by the email service itself. Gmail's limit is like 25MB I think. Yahoo, not sure. Hotmail, not sure.

Sharing large files via email is not really all that efficient anyhow. Better to load the vids onto a server on the net and then share links to the videos. I am just saying this; not that your friends would necessarily adopt different habits.

But, yes this is a limitation of current BlackBerrys (BIS service). There is a good reason the limitation is there, which I will not go into.

For what it is worth the new PlayBook OS allows Exchange Active Synch to be used for email connectivity. So it is a fair assumption that BlackBerry 10 will allow that as well. So pretty soon here this limit should go away if you desire to set your BB 10 device up in that manner. I am guessing there. The PlayBook for sure will have EAS though.
    01-29-12 10:03 AM
    This isn't true. It has to do with the architecture of the platform. The iPhone talks directly with gmail.com. The BlackBerry talks to the NOC which polls for new messages etc.

Have a look at this:
    KB03592-What is the maximum email message size when using a BlackBerry Internet Service account

Limit is 8MB

Improved large email and native attachment support
    Subscribers using BlackBerry smartphones with BlackBerry 7 installed can:
    receive email messages that are up to 11MB in size
    download attachments in their original format that are up to 8MB in size
    view up to 300KB in an HTML email message
    01-29-12 10:06 AM
    Not that I know of. The limitations really stand out when you try to do data intensive stuff like remote desktop. 9900 gets it's a55 kicked by a 4 year old iPhone. Not even in the same league. Pathetic.
    Last edited by palomartian; 01-29-12 at 10:26 AM. Reason: stupid profanity bot...
    01-29-12 10:10 AM
    If you are talking about email (I think you are) then it is the service that limits what you can do. (or services in RIM's case). So what you are seeing here is a BIS service limit on how big an email you can receive. On Android or iPhone you should only be limited by the email service itself. Gmail's limit is like 25MB I think. Yahoo, not sure. Hotmail, not sure.

Sharing large files via email is not really all that efficient anyhow. Better to load the vids onto a server on the net and then share links to the videos. I am just saying this; not that your friends would necessarily adopt different habits.

But, yes this is a limitation of current BlackBerrys (BIS service). There is a good reason the limitation is there, which I will not go into.

For what it is worth the new PlayBook OS allows Exchange Active Synch to be used for email connectivity. So it is a fair assumption that BlackBerry 10 will allow that as well. So pretty soon here this limit should go away if you desire to set your BB 10 device up in that manner. I am guessing there. The PlayBook for sure will have EAS though.
    Wow that really a great answer. I am so Bummed. I was hoping for a different workaround..
    Thanks everyone I guess i'm all set..
    01-29-12 10:11 AM
    Wow that really a great answer. I am so Bummed. I was hoping for a different workaround..
    Thanks everyone I guess i'm all set..
    BTW if you are using gmail or the like, just open the browser and navigate to gmail.com. You can download the attachment over http from there no matter the size.
    southlander likes this.
    01-29-12 10:13 AM
    This isn't true. It has to do with the architecture of the platform. The iPhone talks directly with gmail.com. The BlackBerry talks to the NOC which polls for new messages etc.

Have a look at this:
    KB03592-What is the maximum email message size when using a BlackBerry Internet Service account

Limit is 8MB

The NOC limits bandwidth and the carriers pay RIM a cut of the data plan because of this. So how is what I said not true?
    01-29-12 10:14 AM
    I agree with OP. It is the end user's decision how they share content. In addition to the email issue, I find my BB is super slow on browser even on the same network with OS 7.1 compared to Android and iPhone. I know this is a limitation on BIS but I think this will lead to more people not buying RIM products all together.

I find it funny like the Apple fan boys says, "we don't need a physical keyboard" BB fan boys always trying too hard to defend BB by saying "why would u need emails to share files?"
    01-29-12 10:18 AM

Have a look at this:

Limit is 8MB

Carriers get a cut in backroom deals in our stupid free economy. This is why I decided to use Internet radio each month just to get close to my data limit to show Telus who is the boss around here.
    01-29-12 10:20 AM
    The NOC limits bandwidth and the carriers pay RIM a cut of the data plan because of this. So how is what I said not true?
    No the NOC doesn't limit the bandwidth for this reason. The reason for the limit is that the system was designed 10+ years ago when messages were plain text and has reached the end of its usefulness in developed countries where network resources aren't scarce.

Not saying that it isn't a problem, just that the problem isn't for the reasons you suggest. You can download a 2GB file through the browser on OS 7 over BIS (no wifi connection). RIM could care less how much you download.
    01-29-12 10:32 AM
    Also keep in mind - that e-mail size restrictions are still in use on many e-mail providers regardless of your phone. It used to be 5MB max size limit on most, but recent years some of the larger e-mail providers such as Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail allows for bigger sizes.

BUT - If you don't KNOW that the receive of a e-mail is using one of those larger providers - still you should keep your e-mails below 5MB for compatibility and to make sure the e-mail go through....

Better to use filesharing/upload services to share large files.
    01-29-12 10:35 AM
    No the NOC doesn't limit the bandwidth for this reason. The reason for the limit is that the system was designed 10+ years ago when messages were plain text and has reached the end of its usefulness in developed countries where network resources aren't scarce.

Not saying that it isn't a problem, just that the problem isn't for the reasons you suggest. You can download a 2GB file through the browser on OS 7 over BIS (no wifi connection). RIM could care less how much you download.
    The guy asked why his data plan is wildly inferior to every other platform. I gave him a factually correct answer. You argue that because the tone of my post implies a malicious intent the facts are somehow not relevant? However we got to this point, here we are. RIM limits your emails for financial gain. Deal with it.
    01-29-12 11:12 AM
  18. T
    Why can't people who make topics like this ever make a title that doesn't mention the iPhone? Can't they just make a simple title like "Why Can't BlackBerry Open Large Files"? Why is it always necessary to tack on "like the iPhone"? Do people who post topics like this feel compelled to advertise for Apple?
    BB_Phoenix likes this.
    01-29-12 01:12 PM
    Why can't people who make topics like this ever make a title that doesn't mention the iPhone? Can't they just make a simple title like "Why Can't BlackBerry Open Large Files"? Why is it always necessary to tack on "like the iPhone"? Do people who post topics like this feel compelled to advertise for Apple?
    I can't believe how sensitve you are and anyone else that agrees with your post. My intent was to ask a simple question and have never advertised for anyone. I used the iphone as the example because last night everyone I was with had an iphone. We all got the same email with a video attachment. Everyone was able to open the attachment. Please don't tell me how to post a thread . Alot of you guys need to lighten up..I'm freaked out by your comment.
    01-29-12 02:29 PM
  20. T
    "Please don't tell me how to post a thread ... I'm freaked out by your comment."

Nobody told you how to post a thread. You can stop freaking out now.
    01-29-12 02:35 PM
    I find it funny like the Apple fan boys says, "we don't need a physical keyboard" BB fan boys always trying too hard to defend BB by saying "why would u need emails to share files?"
    I was not defending anything, not intentionally. I admitted that it is a shortcoming of BlackBerry in terms of what the OP wants to do with his friends. Nonetheless, obviously email is not designed to pass large files around. If I see someone banging in a nail with a pair of pliers when there is a hammer nearby, I will offer them the hammer.

To the OP, just for clarity. If it is crucial that you be able to share humongous files with all your friends over email, I desperately urge you to buy an iPhone or Android phone. Sorry
    01-29-12 02:44 PM
    Tonis
    I understand about trolling and other negative rhetoric accordind to rules of CB, but lets not carried away.
    Don't put handcuffs on any legitmate poster. Tonis your opinion is simply that your opinion.
    I'm still working on calming down from all the personal attacks that exist on this forum.
    Last edited by Betmen; 01-29-12 at 03:06 PM.
    01-29-12 03:00 PM
    Tonis
    I appreciate all the answers and help I got on my question , but don't drag me back into this thread with a comment like that.
    01-29-12 03:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD