I'm almost POSITIVE I haven't seen this before. Now on 7.1, I see a new inbox folder called "Emergency Alert Messages" and options are for Amber Alert, Presidential Alerts and so forth. Is this old news, and I'm just late to the party?
    12-16-11 12:45 AM
    yea i saw that when i switched to 7.1 also. not sure what its for though.
    12-16-11 12:47 AM
    National and Local Emergency Alerts. The alert sound is the same as when they do the Emergency Alert tests on TV. Pretty cool!
    12-16-11 12:50 AM
    yea i saw that when i switched to 7.1 also. not sure what its for though.
    Noticed any Network notification Controls to stop that weird beep sound ?
    Any options/Controls available to disable the Network Notifications?
    12-16-11 01:01 AM
    12-16-11 01:11 AM
    Where to find it? Running 7.1 maybe its network/country dependent? Didn't read d article mentioned above though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-11 02:44 AM
    Maybe you need Blackberry News installed. Does that come with 7.1?
    12-16-11 03:29 AM
    Maybe if you tred reading the OS thread before posting a thread your question would have been answered.

12-16-11 04:13 AM
    Yes, it's cool, but creepy, too. Why I can't I uncheck the Presidential Alerts?

Does this mean that something might happen on December 21, 2012, and the government wants to make sure "everyone" is informed (or any other disasters).

But, now that I'm getting POTUS alerts, now I need to be able to vote via my crackberry. No more miscounts, no more mailing in my ballots, standing in line--I'll can do it while sitting on the crapper, sitting at the airport, just before going to bed, etc.
    01-19-12 04:45 PM
    Does anybody know if this is simply another feature or if this was government mandated. The whole concept of "cramming" every e-mail subscriber with a government e-mail, is weird for me to conceptualize. Although, if there's some type of emergency notification, I think that's good info to be privvy to. Part of this makes me nervous that the government has access to my e-mail account. On the other hand, spammers are able to do it everyday.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-19-12 06:00 PM
    Guys I installed 7.1.0.205 on BB 9900 and I don't have anything like this in mine Is it a good thing or bad?
    01-19-12 06:12 PM
    Mine only vibrates, no audible sound.
    01-19-12 06:13 PM
    Interesting. This happened on my OS 6 device as well, and it turned out a new function (at the time) of Poynt.
    01-19-12 07:05 PM
    Emergency alert messages

If your wireless service provider or organization participates in CMAS, you can receive emergency alert messages (presidential, imminent threat to safety of life, and amber alert messages) on your smartphone. For more information, see Emergency alert messages.

If your wireless service provider or administrator participates in CMAS, you might receive emergency alert messages in your message inbox or your emergency alert message inbox on your BlackBerry smartphone. CMAS is an emergency alert network that can send presidential, imminent threat to safety of life, and amber alert messages. Depending on your smartphone model and wireless network, this feature might not be supported. For more information, contact your wireless service provider or administrator.
    DeputyBob likes this.
    01-19-12 07:08 PM
    Guys I installed 7.1.0.205 on BB 9900 and I don't have anything like this in mine Is it a good thing or bad?
    It's a good thing

It's just a panic thing for the Americans, the rest of the world doesn't have or need it.
    01-19-12 07:18 PM
    It's a good thing

It's just a panic thing for the Americans, the rest of the world doesn't have or need it.

Haha... Yes very true. I come from a public safety background and don't see a need for it. Unnecessary panic.

And its going to be one of these things: "I don't or can't have it, so therefore I NEED it". Kinda like the whole VZW OEM wallpaper demand.

Fulfilling my Crackberry addiction from my 9930 via Tapatalk
    01-19-12 08:11 PM
    Just upgraded to 7.1 last night (I'm on a 9930 with VZW). Checked out the settings under, which is menu button then options, for the folder. I hit the "try it" button and was surprised by the tone (and vibration). It's the traditional alert tone you would hear on the radio during a tornado or similar emergency, but now coming from your BlackBerry.

It was quite striking to hear but will work well if there is a real emergency. Very interesting, kinda creepy, but also very cool at the same time. I left all my settinngs on as I'm curious to hear the tone when (and if) it actually activates. Very cool though!
    Last edited by StumptownBold; 01-20-12 at 01:45 AM.
    01-20-12 01:41 AM
    It's a good thing

Imagine guys if someone gonna hack it and everyone in US will recive alert
    01-20-12 02:11 AM
    Yester thanks for that info. FYI...I know that the State of Colorado participates with CMAS, but I can't say the same with VZW. Last night after my post, the state initated an Amber Alert, and then cancelled it this morning. Both time I never received the emergency message through my 9930, but I did get it through VZW alerts and signing up for reverse 911 text messages.

Any thoughts?
    01-20-12 12:05 PM
    Yester thanks for that info. FYI...I know that the State of Colorado participates with CMAS, but I can't say the same with VZW. Last night after my post, the state initated an Amber Alert, and then cancelled it this morning. Both time I never received the emergency message through my 9930, but I did get it through VZW alerts and signing up for reverse 911 text messages.

Any thoughts?
    I received a amber alert this morning in California and like u it came thru as a regular sms frm verizon and not thru the new feature. Not sure wht the new amber alert will be used for.

DeputyBob likes this.
    01-20-12 12:39 PM
    Anyone know if you can extract the tones that do go off with an alert?

Waiting to hear back from RIM and Verizon to verify that this system is working.
    01-20-12 12:51 PM

Waiting to hear back from RIM and Verizon to verify that this system is working.
    I can't hear any tones.
    01-20-12 01:05 PM
    Thanks Jordan--I glad I'm not the one. I just found out that VZW does participates in CMAS. So my question is, is this thing on?
    01-20-12 01:08 PM
    I can't hear any tones.
    The alert sounds, depending on your profile settings. In loud profile they activate with vibration
    wolfee48 likes this.
    01-20-12 03:51 PM

That would be awesome!

The alert sounds, depending on your profile settings. In loud profile they activate with vibration
    Thanks! I switched it from vibrate to loud and can hear it now. I feel that the audible should still sound off while in vibrate only mode. Or at least be able to control it.
    01-20-12 04:01 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD