the thinner it is, the better pocketable it is.
    oh n since many people will use a case, it ll still be reasonnably thin after the otterbox is on bij voorbeeld
    08-14-11 02:46 PM
    I never had a problem with the thickness of the 96, 97, or 98 series devices. But I guess when every year during their events, Apple is saying the incoming iPhone or iPod touch is the thinnest ever, it becomes a selling point for consumers.
    Again, the 9900 is wider and taller than the 9780 and 9800. It can't also remain as thick. The 9000 was nice in 2008, today the bulk of this form factor would be unthinkable to users.

RIM can't make a wider and taller device and also keep it thick. It's not the same dimensions as the 9780/9800, just look at it. You can argue that maybe they should have shaped the back differently but that's another argument.

In my view Apple is playing dirty because their devices are not even shaped to be hand held but fit in a carrying case. What is shown to the consumer is the naked device, the essential carrying case is never shown in ads. RIM is still torn between hand ergonomics, battery life and removable back, and finally acknowledge thinness so it is at a disadvantage.
    08-14-11 02:48 PM
    I do care about the phone beening thin, it look betters that way but PLEASE stop using that as an excuse for the camera there are plenty of devices out there with better camera and thinner than the 9900 (iphone and samsung GSII) so it was NOT because of that, we are NOT stupid RIM
    Not sure exactly how it affects things but as others have pointed out, part of the internal "real estate" is taken up by the physical qwerty keyboard. Something you'd not have to consider on an all touch device.

Me personally, they could have made it thick as the recent Bolds. Fine by me.
    pythons likes this.
    08-14-11 02:54 PM
    i have the blackberry bold 9900 and i prefer this one to my blackberry curve its is thin and i love my phones thin and my friends also like the blackberry that is thin
    08-14-11 04:00 PM
    I would have preferred it to be thicker for a larger battery and auto focus camera. but I guess I'll buy it anyway (shrugs shoulders)
    08-14-11 05:37 PM
    I would have preferred it to be thicker for a larger battery and auto focus camera. but I guess I'll buy it anyway (shrugs shoulders)
    9000 was a thick device, but it had a good feel to it. I don't mind the 9900 thickness, but based on the photo comparisons, I'd like the auto focus also.
    08-14-11 05:38 PM
    And RIM is counting on that.
    08-14-11 05:42 PM
    Would rather have bigger battery and auto-focus cam - sacrafice the thin form factor.
    08-14-11 06:44 PM
    Actually, now that I've held one, I can now appreciate it's thinness. It's pretty awesome.
    08-14-11 07:32 PM
    before i got the 9900 i would have said "make it thicker with AF and bigger battery" but it is a very nice form factor. i would rather pay a little more and have the thinness with AF camera. but the phone is better than my 9000 and here is hoping they get the 2012 qnx phone right.
    08-14-11 08:28 PM
    With the cheaped out camera I won't be buying one so it doesn't matter to me at all.
    08-14-11 08:49 PM
    And RIM is counting on that.
    Maybe they're counting on people like myself who care more about the hardware than a freakin' camera.

Man, the camera thing is driving me nuts. WHO CARES. ITS A CAMERA> DON"T BUY A BLACKBERRY IF YOU CARE ABOUT AN AF CAMERA

JEEZ
    stormrider_67 likes this.
    08-14-11 09:04 PM
    It's not really an issue for me. The thickness of the 9780 is fine for me.

I've said it before, wouldn't mind a thicker devices if it had a nice big battery and perhaps autofocus.
    +1 on that!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-11 09:16 PM
    so people would stop complaining about auto-focus in every single freaking thread! Seriously, guys. There's more than enough threads on that topic!
    They will! But first you gotta stop complaining about complains! You have been on the trail of these guys on every 'single freaking' thread. Some RIM fans have been grossly disappointed. Where else do they vent it out? There's nothing wrong in demanding the best from a flagship device (specially when every damn smart phone manufacturer out there is offering it). So stop police-ing! We have moderators for that.

Last edited by Kishore Thaakur; 08-14-11 at 09:36 PM.
    anon3396357 and Sharke like this.
    08-14-11 09:32 PM
    I don't care if it's thin, I want power and performance. That being said, I also don't care about the camera, so I'm still planning on getting one.
    08-14-11 09:37 PM
    The thickness of the 9650 was okay with me.
    This thread has brought up a great point. I agree that my 9650's thickness is fine to me. I can understand consumers wanting a thinner tablet or TV, but perhaps phones don't really need it. I'd rather have increased features, battery efficiency, signal strength, etc. sqeezed into the current thickness.

I wonder how much research RIM did on the thickness issue?
    08-15-11 02:48 AM
    you may think thinness doesn't matter, but reserve your judgment till you hold it and play it and use it, some of you may change your mind.

08-15-11 06:33 AM
    Great points. The non-removable battery and no micro sd slot are major drawbacks as far as I'm concerned. Does it even have a removable SIM card? I talked to someone recently who just took a trip to Italy, and he said he had AT&T enable its international plan, but I forgot to ask him if he could have removed his SIM and used a local provider.

Yep, they have a removable SIM. Dunno about the CDMA version though, as they don't ordinarily use them. But I think when roaming you can still use a GSM sim in them.
    08-15-11 06:43 AM
    I played with one yesterday, it really isn't as thin as I was expecting. Its a nice kind of feel in your hands. Not nice enough to take me from my 9800.

08-15-11 06:47 AM
    Maybe they're counting on people like myself who care more about the hardware than a freakin' camera.

Man, the camera thing is driving me nuts. WHO CARES. ITS A CAMERA> DON"T BUY A BLACKBERRY IF YOU CARE ABOUT AN AF CAMERA

JEEZ
    WTF are you talking about? If you care about an AF camera, the 9810 is a no brainer. It has all the power of the 9900, a bigger screen, and an AF camera. The slide-out keyboard is not as commodious as the keyboard on the 9000, but it's still a BB keyboard.
    08-15-11 07:13 AM
    ugh... i swear no one is ever happy... if the camera had AF everyone would find something else to complain about... time to move on folks...

and fyi, you can judge the camera till you get the device and try it yourself
    Last edited by c_86; 08-15-11 at 11:07 AM. Reason: typos
    stormrider_67 likes this.
    08-15-11 09:18 AM
    ugh... i swear no one is every happy... if the camera had AF everyone would find something else to complain about... time to move on folks...

and fyi, you can judge the camera till you get the device and try it yourself
    I'm not sure snapping pics on a demo device in an AT&T store is going to change my mind. Adam did a more thorough run through and comparison than I could ever hope to do in-store. The camera is crap and there are no two ways about it. At least as far as I'm concerned, the device would be more than fine if it weren't for that, and I would be left with what for me was a tough decision between the larger screen size of the Torch vs. the more spacious keyboard of the Bold. The camera blunder instantly made that decision easier.
    08-15-11 09:53 AM
    for all we know the camera can be improved with software... time will tell... that is a nice comparison to say the least... and it does show that the camera is having issues compared to the 9780... but like i said perhaps it can be fixed with software... who knows...

i think it comes down to it... no one is ever happy.. if this wasnt an issue ppl would find something else to complain about...
    08-15-11 11:09 AM
    The camera is crap and there are no two ways about it. At least as far as I'm concerned, the device would be more than fine if it weren't for that, and I would be left with what for me was a tough decision between the larger screen size of the Torch vs. the more spacious keyboard of the Bold. The camera blunder instantly made that decision easier.
    Couldn't agree with u more.

08-15-11 03:15 PM
    I agree that my 9650's thickness is fine to me. I can understand consumers wanting a thinner tablet or TV, but perhaps phones don't really need it.
    One point that was made by someone was that with the 9900 being a larger device -- if it had the same thickness as the other BB phones it would seem kinda bulky. I can see that as a negative in its appeal in the carriers' stores.

08-15-11 06:34 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD