Here is what RIM should do IMHO. One phone size of old 9000 for those with big hands, and add touch screen. One phone size of current 9700 with touchscreen. One phone like Torch. One all touch device with no keyboard. And one flip. This would cover all the bases for form factor. Then RIM needs to make sure there is version of each phone that will work on all providers (Each form factor in CDMA and GSM). Don't worry about LTE or WiMax near term because The BIS infrastructure cripples throughput anyway.
    11-07-10 12:31 PM
    Here is another concept, which is more of a compromise for the big screen naysayers. It is just a Bold 9700 with 1 cm added to the screen height. This gives it a square 5 cm x 5 cm screen (7 cm / 2.8" diagonal) and makes the device about as tall as the iPhone 3G (which we all know was a well-accepted size).

11-07-10 02:48 PM
    Slap that screen on a 9000 refresh, and youve got yourself a phone, my man!
    11-07-10 02:56 PM
    Slap that screen on a 9000 refresh, and youve got yourself a phone, my man!
    I'd buy it either way, but the extra width of the Bold 9000 might make more people consider it "too big."

However, adding extra height also means more room inside, thus creating an opportunity to make the device thinner.

And, as long as it also has keyboard and a track pad, I think that a device with a smaller touch screen (bigger than the 2.4" Bold 9700, but smaller than the 3.5" iPhone) can still be easy to use. As such, I think that the combination of a small screen (3.1") and the lack of a track pad will make the Motorola Droid Pro hard to use. Even the HTC Droid Incredible has a track pad along with its 3.7" screen!
    11-08-10 04:06 PM
    I'd buy it either way, but the extra width of the Bold 9000 might make more people consider it "too big."

However, adding extra height also means more room inside, thus creating an opportunity to make the device thinner.

And, as long as it also has keyboard and a track pad, I think that a device with a smaller touch screen (bigger than the 2.4" Bold 9700, but smaller than the 3.5" iPhone) can still be easy to use. As such, I think that the combination of a small screen (3.1") and the lack of a track pad will make the Motorola Droid Pro hard to use. Even the HTC Droid Incredible has a track pad along with its 3.7" screen!
    Our dream could be coming true folks!
    Bbleaks has a new codename for the Dakota/Magnum! Take a look: BBLEAKS: BlackBerry Storm3 Gets Codename Monaco; Bold/Touchscreen Hybrid Codenamed Montana

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by jonnyboy46; 11-08-10 at 10:14 PM.
    11-08-10 10:10 PM
    when do u think is it gonna be launched to the public or shown?
    11-09-10 06:57 AM
    Nice find johnnyboy! If this phone hits Verizon, I'll be all over it. Unfortunately, I will never switch to AT&T or any other carrier ever again, just for a device. Miss my 9000 :'o(

11-09-10 05:52 PM
    I have a hunch that a device like this one would go to Verizon. The new Bold is just coming out now and AT&T will get its hands on it soon enough. Us Verizon folks are still asking "whats next?" Plus, a Bold with a touch screen seems logically like an evolution of the Bold line itself, which means that the next step in the chain is an upgrade from the 9650..... not the 9780

Another key point is that RIM will want to cut deeply into the verizon iphone budget and a device like an upgraded Bold with a touch screen would make more sense as a CDMA world phone. Give it good updated specs and updated touch screen and that may send shivers down Steve Jobs Spine lol
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 11-09-10 at 08:25 PM.
    11-09-10 08:23 PM
    ^ I have to disagree. I would put a lot of money on it being a GSM phone because they can release it all over the world, and they want to do that because it will be their best phone most likely. The top Bolds have always been GSM, so I bet this one follows. I hope its CDMA, but my moneys on GSM. RIM won't be cutting into the iPhone very much, moreso retain customers and regain the ones they recently lost. Hopefully were coming to a point where they release a version for each carrier!
    11-09-10 11:13 PM
    Give it good updated specs and updated touch screen and that may send shivers down Steve Jobs Spine lol
    I don't see how a 9000 form factor, running OS 6 and updated specs is going to be attractive to someone set on iPhone, or worry Jobs. Android is the main competition, and a Storm3 running QNX would be the only thing that I would think would worry Steve right now. There is a lot of real estate taken up by the keyboard and someone taken with an all touch device will notice that right away.

Don't get me wrong, I think this phone needs to come to market and it will sell well to BB users. RIM needs this phone, add touch to 97XX/65XX line, get Storm 3 out, add touch to style (if possible), and keep the torch and release everything to everyone in the US. They can release a phone in both CDMA and GSM from day one, its not rocket science. Most of the newer chips support CDMA and GSM out of the box so they could release a single phone and just swap out the radio portions or just release them all as world phones.
    11-10-10 06:32 AM
    ^ I have to disagree. I would put a lot of money on it being a GSM phone because they can release it all over the world, and they want to do that because it will be their best phone most likely. The top Bolds have always been GSM, so I bet this one follows. I hope its CDMA, but my moneys on GSM. RIM won't be cutting into the iPhone very much, moreso retain customers and regain the ones they recently lost. Hopefully were coming to a point where they release a version for each carrier!
    remember, CDMA BB's are world phones as well...
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 11-10-10 at 11:50 AM.
    11-10-10 11:48 AM
    I don't see how a 9000 form factor, running OS 6 and updated specs is going to be attractive to someone set on iPhone, or worry Jobs. Android is the main competition, and a Storm3 running QNX would be the only thing that I would think would worry Steve right now. There is a lot of real estate taken up by the keyboard and someone taken with an all touch device will notice that right away.

Don't get me wrong, I think this phone needs to come to market and it will sell well to BB users. RIM needs this phone, add touch to 97XX/65XX line, get Storm 3 out, add touch to style (if possible), and keep the torch and release everything to everyone in the US. They can release a phone in both CDMA and GSM from day one, its not rocket science. Most of the newer chips support CDMA and GSM out of the box so they could release a single phone and just swap out the radio portions or just release them all as world phones.
    I disagree ever so slightly. I think apple competes with the blackberry line in general, regardless of whether its a full touch, half touch, or qwerty keyboard or even slider. Its RIM against apple... anything good coming from either side will hit the others bottom line
    11-10-10 11:49 AM
    remember, CDMA BB's are world phones as well...
    technically, but in a half-assed method.
    11-10-10 11:57 AM
    cant argue with that lol
    11-10-10 01:42 PM
    BLAH BLAH BLAH, I am so bummed that this device hasn't come out yet. I mean really the rumor mill has been going strong on this one for how long now???? I will be the first in line for it but damnnnnnnn, I feel like it is last summer when everyone was saying, "August for sure" then it was "def be out for the holidays" then it kind of fell off for a sec and now here we go again. I want one so bad I can taste it! I hope it isn't all talk like in the past. But I really got to stop checking this forum every now and then...it is driving me nuts!!!!!!! I really think I might try that new, what is it, Motorola or something? I have held my ground on not buying any of the flashy touch phones waiting on a real key board but with that other one coming out I might have to actually jump ship this time.
    11-10-10 09:07 PM
    That's what RIM does. They allow you to speculate with all of these "pie in the sky" expectations, then they release what amounts to a "refreshed" version of their current lineup. As long as the fanboi's come running to the rescue with the most overused phrase in the history of Crackberry, "It does what I need it to do". Things will NEVER change. If the Dakota/Magnum is ever released, you can be sure that the hardware specs will be laughable. Look at the Torch with it's 2008 Bold 9000 processor.
    11-10-10 09:19 PM
    That's what RIM does. They allow you to speculate with all of these "pie in the sky" expectations, then they release what amounts to a "refreshed" version of their current lineup. As long as the fanboi's come running to the rescue with the most overused phrase in the history of Crackberry, "It does what I need it to do". Things will NEVER change. If the Dakota/Magnum is ever released, you can be sure that the hardware specs will be laughable. Look at the Torch with it's 2008 Bold 9000 processor.
    Tuck, you speak the truth. It really is like watching someone with all the tools to have success, yet they do not, can't or refuse to do what it takes. RIM is a very successful company, and people by nature are complainers (especially us fanatics on boards like these) but take into account that people like us are the same ones who have 8-10 berrys under 1 or 2 years old because we run out and pay full retail for the latest gadget. My Motorola RAZR did what I needed it to do. It forwarded my email as MMS, and thats ALL I need.
    11-11-10 07:46 AM
    I was just looking at Kevin's unboxing video of the 9780 and WOW, it looks nice! Granted, the specs are a bit low, particularly the memory, but man, if that exact Bold can evolve into the dakota with a touch screen, I would be a BB user for life! Believe it or not, I would even consider switching to AT&T for that device! Thats how cool it would be for me! I know way too many people feel as I do as noted on here, and as far as I know, I think this is the only device concept that I have even seen that is in such demand by the public. Thats got to tell ya something about how good of a concept it is
    11-11-10 12:02 PM
    I was just looking at Kevin's unboxing video of the 9780 and WOW, it looks nice! Granted, the specs are a bit low, particularly the memory, but man, if that exact Bold can evolve into the dakota with a touch screen, I would be a BB user for life! Believe it or not, I would even consider switching to AT&T for that device! Thats how cool it would be for me! I know way too many people feel as I do as noted on here, and as far as I know, I think this is the only device concept that I have even seen that is in such demand by the public. Thats got to tell ya something about how good of a concept it is
    Rican Medic..I'm surprised to see you say that. Really? I thought you would def hold out for a 9000 sized keyboard. I checked out the video, no doubt it's a great device (9780) but it looks again, like the same thing as a 9700.....im gettin so tired of these teeny 'bumps' of devices. I guess that's how it goes at...what do they call it? Research In Slow Motion? lol
    11-14-10 09:37 AM
    Rican Medic..I'm surprised to see you say that. Really? I thought you would def hold out for a 9000 sized keyboard. I checked out the video, no doubt it's a great device (9780) but it looks again, like the same thing as a 9700.....im gettin so tired of these teeny 'bumps' of devices. I guess that's how it goes at...what do they call it? Research In Slow Motion? lol
    haha! Tell me about it... this is like watching a boxing fight and seeing your favorite guy not throwing that one punch that you clearly see will connect and end the other guys night....... but he wont do it! lol

on the size thing, I wouldnt mind a 9000 size at all, as long as it keeps the same form of the 9700 or even better, the all black 9780. I dont like the clunkiness of the 9000 (not referring to size). I cant stand the backing, the metal rim all around, and way the buttons look. It looks old for todays standard, like an older model car. But granted, I wont argue with the screen size/keyboard being great
    11-14-10 10:58 AM
    Whew, you had me scared that you crossed over to the evil dark 9700 keyboard lovers side. Haha...know what? I love your idea of a 9700 style shell material and a 900 sized device. Dump the metal rim and kooky backing....sleek it up, angle the top and bottom and thefront buttons around the trackpad (formerly trackball) area should look like the new clamshell flip (the style)...all one piece. That'd look HOT. But hey...we're just a coupla shmucks who spend full retail on every new bb available, right? Grrrrrrr

11-14-10 01:38 PM
    check the other thread I started about the bold/touch. Check out Bobs concept. Now thats one hot design!
    Bob G likes this.
    11-15-10 08:14 AM
    check the other thread I started about the bold/touch. Check out Bobs concept. Now thats one hot design!
    I do like that concept's size....almost like the Motorola Droid Pro.....this could work for businesspeople who are too skeptical of the Torch form factor but still want the best of both worlds....
    11-23-10 10:18 AM
    Let's all hope we hear something about this device at CES this week!!!
    01-05-11 12:14 PM
    I do like that concept's size....almost like the Motorola Droid Pro.....this could work for businesspeople who are too skeptical of the Torch form factor but still want the best of both worlds....
    This concept adds 1 cm to the screen height (and the overall device height):
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f150/wh...ml#post5750278

But this concept includes the taller screen without making the device any bigger overall:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f150/wh...ml#post5770451

I'd buy either in a heart beat!
    01-08-11 03:52 PM
238 ... 678910
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD