I have taken the liberty of modifying the image to add a trackpad. With the keyboard from the Curve, the trackpad and touch screen from the Torch, and the candybar form factor, this would be an incredible smartphone. Add a powerful processor with more memory and a high resolution screen (at least 480x640 VGA), and I think this would steal the market from the Droid Pro.

I'm not sure if this would be comfortable to use... on every other blackberry (including the Storm and Torch), the entire device can be used single handedly (meaning that on non-touch you can reach the track pad and keyboard, and on touch devices you can comfortably reach the far corner of the screen.) Most likely RIM tried this, but came out with the Torch because it's not so awkward to use.
    10-18-10 02:15 PM
    I'm not sure if this would be comfortable to use... on every other blackberry (including the Storm and Torch), the entire device can be used single handedly (meaning that on non-touch you can reach the track pad and keyboard, and on touch devices you can comfortably reach the far corner of the screen.) Most likely RIM tried this, but came out with the Torch because it's not so awkward to use.
    Good point. I share that concern. The requirement for two hands is why I am not interested in a landscape slider (like the Motorola Droid). However, I can offer these observations:

* I have the Torch. When the screen is open, it is taller that I envision the Dakota. Admittedly, I have big hands, but I can reach the top of the touch screen with one hand.
    * For people with smaller hands, there is always the track pad.
    * A taller device fits the face more comfortably for phone calls (putting the microphone closer to your mouth).
    * A taller device is less likely to rotate sideways in your pocket.
    * Not having to open and close the slider a hundred times a day makes the device easier and quicker to use .

I think there is some merit to Microsoft's slogan in their new "really" advertisement, "Designed to get you in and out, and back to life." This is reminiscent of the "Zen of Palm" philosophy that BlackBerry (and Android) seem to have forgotten.

Beyond hardware, BlackBerry OS also needs improvement in the "quick in and out" department. OS 6 improvements and third party applications like QuickLaunch and KBLauncher help you get into applications quickly, but there is still no quick way out.

I wish that the BlackBerry OS would enforce a "save and exit" function (similar to the iOS and Palm classic OS "home" buttons) that would be activated by a long press of the "back" button. As it is, exiting most applications is painful and time-consuming (back, back, back, menu, scroll, close, save, yes, are you sure, yes, etc.), and leaving applications unnecessarily running in the background consumes too much precious memory and battery.
    10-18-10 03:38 PM
    The screen doesn t need to be that tall. on the m600i, it was just fine working with the keyboard and the touchscreen with one hand.
    10-18-10 03:58 PM
    The screen doesn t need to be that tall. on the m600i, it was just fine working with the keyboard and the touchscreen with one hand.
    The Motorola Droid Pro has a 3.1 inch screen, and I think that's too small for a touch screen. You need a lot of real estate to use a capacitive touch screen with any degree of accuracy, and I don't think many people want to go back to resistive screens and stylii.

IMHO, the Bold is a good device for those who don't need a big touch screen. The Magnum will be the device for those of us who want it all!
    10-18-10 08:38 PM
    ^ I want it all so please bring on the magnum. Not fully sold on the torch yet. Still liking the 9000.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-10 06:07 AM
    Def buying this thing, so bring it out.
    10-19-10 06:57 AM
    I have taken the liberty of modifying the image to add a trackpad. With the keyboard from the Curve, the trackpad and touch screen from the Torch, and the candybar form factor, this would be an incredible smartphone. Add a powerful processor with more memory and a high resolution screen (at least 480x640 VGA), and I think this would steal the market from the Droid Pro.

That looks good. I would love to see RIM drop something comparable to this to compete with the Droid Pro(what a joke IMHO). However, the internals would have to be seriously upped(as many have previously stated), and I would deffinatly buy it in a heart beat if RIM suprised us all and dropped a device like this running the QNX OS that is rumored to find its way into BB's next year sometime.
    10-19-10 12:17 PM
    Hey,

I'm just glad I'm not the only one waiting for this phone!

How about if we get the replies/comments on this thread to top 1,000 and views to top 100,000? Who's with me? We gotta consolidate our desire for Dakota/Magnum in one thread so we can be heard and get RIM's attention (or at least the attention of the CrackBerry guys, so they can lobby this for us...because we all know Kevin and the gang hold great sway in the Berry community)!

RIM: GIVE US THE PHONE WE WANT!
    Last edited by jonnyboy46; 10-22-10 at 04:02 PM.
    10-22-10 03:58 PM
    Hey,

I'm just glad I'm not the only one waiting for this phone!

How about if we get the replies/comments on this thread to top 1,000 and views to top 100,000? Who's with me? We gotta consolidate our desire for Dakota/Magnum in one thread so we can be heard and get RIM's attention (or at least the attention of the CrackBerry guys, so they can lobby this for us...because we all know Kevin and the gang hold great sway in the Berry community)!

RIM: GIVE US THE PHONE WE WANT!
    I sure hope RIM responds fantastically. I have been thinking a lot about this lately (I'm an engineer; I obsess!).

We waited years for Palm to update their Treo / OS5, but nothing happened. Finally, they released the Pre / WebOS. This was a decent device, but it was not fabulous (Torch anyone?), and it was late to market. Palm languished and was bought out. It's not over, but it's not looking good. HP / Palm / WebOS have a long uphill climb to be a serious contender in the smartphone market.

Meanwhile, we waited years for Motorola to come out with something beyond the RAZR and Q. Speculation about their decline and death ensued. But then, they introduced the Droid. Wow, fabulous! Then the Droid X. BAM! Then the Droid 2. Boom! And more are coming (Droid Pro, Droid T2, etc.). It is clear that Moto is back in the game in a big way!

So which story line will RIM follow?

Give us the Dakota and make Steve Jobs eat his words!
    10-22-10 06:40 PM

Something like this aggravates me to no end. New kid on the block can come slamming down onto a need such as this almost instantly, and RIM holds the line. WTF? I cant get a bead on how wide this keyboard is, but trust me, when it hits the stores, I will be there tapping on it to see if it even comes close to my 9000. Notice the raised key shape, exactly like the 9000's. Regrettably..........way to go Motorola!
    PS: This phone is called the Droid Pro that Bob G spoke of two pages back.
    Last edited by Mamaluka; 10-24-10 at 10:24 PM.
    10-24-10 10:17 PM
    ^ i'm sorry but i don't find the appearance of the motorola nor the Dakota/Magnum appealing.
    10-24-10 10:23 PM
    It fails user ergonomics. that is why RIM will not be making this formfactor (and also why owners of this device will begin to get tired of reposition their hands all the time just to tap on something on the top of the screen).
    10-24-10 10:47 PM
    I honestly would rather just have the 9000 but with a trackpad and beefed specs. This whole raised top touch thing isn't what I want. I had the Torch for 2 months. I want the big wide spacious BOLD 9000 style phone gawsh darnit!!!!!!!!!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    10-24-10 11:09 PM
    I would give it a shot!
    10-25-10 06:24 AM
    sadly, RIM didn't continue with his hybrid

other brands came out with their hybrid phone, it was palm and now
    Nokia X3 Touch and Type (not even a smartphone)...
    Motorola Droid Pro..

when is our turn for our lovely blackberry?...sighh..
    10-25-10 02:00 PM
    It fails user ergonomics. that is why RIM will not be making this formfactor (and also why owners of this device will begin to get tired of reposition their hands all the time just to tap on something on the top of the screen).
    I have to agree, the whole ergonomics of this touch screen and candy bar style doesn't seem that appealing. The Torch is nice just needs better specs. Or something like the Galaxy for sprint with the horizontal slide. We just want better specs. I don't want the hourglass or waiting for the page on the internet with my bold 9700 to render or focus. Even reading PDf's and trying to zoom, waiting for it to render fax or PDF readable.

I would even be willing to possibly give up the keyboard for a really good touchscreen.
    10-25-10 02:10 PM
    I have to agree, the whole ergonomics of this touch screen and candy bar style doesn't seem that appealing. The Torch is nice just needs better specs. Or something like the Galaxy for sprint with the horizontal slide. We just want better specs. I don't want the hourglass or waiting for the page on the internet with my bold 9700 to render or focus. Even reading PDf's and trying to zoom, waiting for it to render fax or PDF readable.

I would even be willing to possibly give up the keyboard for a really good touchscreen.
    For those who are not a fan of the ergonomics Dakota form factor: have you tried OS 6 on a Bold device yet? I have, (9650) and the only thing that would make the phone perfect (for me) is adding the touch screen. I know CrackBerry Kevin has said similar comments regarding his Bold 9700. I just think for those of us Bold users who like our Bold's current form factor, adding a touch screen would be a really great step in the right direction for us.

That said, I do see myself warming up to the Torch, but only if its next iteration produces some seriously needed spec upgrades (already mentioned).

Btw, as of this posting (10/25):

5 out of the top 15 most viewed threads in this forum were about the Dakota/Magnum.

That tells me that regardless of what people may think about this phone, it is still something people want to see...

Let's make this happen, RIM!!!!
    Last edited by jonnyboy46; 10-25-10 at 03:31 PM.
    10-25-10 03:20 PM
    I want it! It would really be the best of both worlds.
    10-25-10 04:13 PM
    I don't have to have the touch screen but want Track Pad, Large screen, and OS6 or QNX. The touch screen like on my Torch would be nice though.
    10-30-10 11:28 AM
    a long screen would look horrible. reality is bold 9000 size but thinner. blackberries are disgustingly thick in comparison. i have my iphone 4 and my 9700 on my belt clip and the 9700 is such a huge bulge. rim should take some focus into making their phones thinner.

the motorola q was half the size and it came out 4 years ago

tmo has lte like speeds with hspa+.

plz, bring on the dakota!

NO! stop listening to what these phone companies feed u
    10-31-10 09:12 PM
    Yep the Dakota is just what I am looking for. I have the Torch and am wanting something along the Dakota line on VZ.
    10-31-10 11:48 PM
    You could have also had this problem with the torch, the thing that stops it being an issue is that they kept the trackpad on the device so when you just need your screen to be a display and not an input method then you have the best of both worlds.

On a related note, I think the presence of the torch will mean that we will not see a blackberry with a taller screen and a physical keyboard since the torch covers that area and does it without leading to a device that is unbalanced when typing.

As far as a dakota/magnum upgrade to the bold range, I think that we will see a return to bold 9000 size rather than the curve-size of the 97xx bolds when this model eventually shows up, not because there is anything wrong with the latter, but because the bigger screen will make the touch part of it more useful.
    11-06-10 09:49 AM
    a long screen would look horrible. reality is bold 9000 size but thinner. blackberries are disgustingly thick in comparison. i have my iphone 4 and my 9700 on my belt clip and the 9700 is such a huge bulge. rim should take some focus into making their phones thinner.
    I don't think it would look horrible, but it wouldn't be as useful as other designs and despite their flaws in other areas, rim do seem to be pretty good on ergonomics.

It wouldn't surprise me if the next batch of blackberry models are a fair bit slimmer, but at the same time it is also very unlikely that they will ever be as thin as the current iphone of that time for the simple reason that they have removable batteries and that inevitably adds a little bulk to a device, the probably target will be the likes of htc or samsung so getting new models down to 10-12mm from the current 14mm.
    11-06-10 10:02 AM
    You could have also had this problem with the torch, the thing that stops it being an issue is that they kept the trackpad on the device so when you just need your screen to be a display and not an input method then you have the best of both worlds.
    Really? when the slider is closed I can touch the far side of the screen easily.
    11-07-10 10:16 AM
    To see what the Dakota would have looked like, just check out the threads for the moto pro. Sweet looking phone actually.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-10 10:26 AM
238 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD