You guys put way way to much emphasis on clock speed of the processor. RIM processors may be lower on clock speed but perform comparable to andriod devices in the same class of phone. Numbers are just what they are numbers. It all depends on how the device performs. My 9700 performs equal comapred to other high end android phones with 1gh processors. But I agree the new RIM devices should have faster processors, just dont put numbers on them. "They must be 1gh" that is nonsense. Apple processors are histroically much lower in clock speed than PC's but perform equally and better in many cases.
    If your 9700 performs as well as high end Android phones (it doesn't), then why on earth would the new RIM devices need faster processors?
    10-08-10 05:10 AM
    I wouldn't say that. It has a small 3.1" screen, poor WVGA resolution, and no track pad. Motorola has set the bar very low. It should be easy for RIM to put the Droid Pro to shame (even repackaging the Torch would do it.).
    Those specs are superior to ANY Blackberry available.
    10-08-10 05:12 AM
    processor speed or available RAM is not just #s! SMH!!! Do you enjoy seeing your hour glass go round and round when you either maxed out of ram or have too many processes opened at the same time???? Well guess what? That is a direct result of those numbers that some people seem to think dont matter!
    10-08-10 08:51 AM
    Those specs are superior to ANY Blackberry available.
    So you think a 3.1" 480x320 screen is superior to a 3.2" 480x360 screen? And no track pad is superior to an optical track pad?

Please troll, just go away. Tell your mommy that the grown ups don't like you any more.
    10-08-10 08:51 AM
    processor speed or available RAM is not just #s! SMH!!! Do you enjoy seeing your hour glass go round and round when you either maxed out of ram or have too many processes opened at the same time???? Well guess what? That is a direct result of those numbers that some people seem to think dont matter!
    If it was that simple, everybody would be an electrical engineer. Clock speed is only one of many design details that determine how fast that a microprocessor can perform. How are graphics processed? Are there parallel processors? What functions are done in hardware? How fast are internal data buses? How fast is memory? etc.

And don't forget that well written software can improve speed dramatically. Look no further than the Torch 9800 OS 6.0.0.246 for a recent example.

Similarly, people seem to think that more megapixels = better camera. But without good optics (i.e., Nokia), all you get is a high resolution copy of a distorted image.
    10-08-10 09:03 AM
    If it was that simple, everybody would be an electrical engineer. Clock speed is only one of many design details that determine how fast that a microprocessor can perform. How are graphics processed? Are there parallel processors? What functions are done in hardware? How fast are internal data buses? How fast is memory? etc.

And don't forget that well written software can improve speed dramatically. Look no further than the Torch 9800 OS 6.0.0.246 for a recent example.

Similarly, people seem to think that more megapixels = better camera. But without good optics (i.e., Nokia), all you get is a high resolution copy of a distorted image.
    regardless of the multitide of factors that make a device speedy and productive, specs that are so far low as RIMs specs are, make the device painful, especially when in a users hands for a few weeks or so. Sure, the way graphics is processing is a factor, OS is a factor, but in the real world, all this is considered "SPECS." Dont let our talk of only processor speed fool you into thinking that this is all we're talking about here. I think everyone who complains of low specs is talking about everything from camera to processor to screen resolution. So regardless of your analogy, I have been an owner and of a Storm 2, Bold 9650, and curve 8330. And from my own user experience, I can tell you first hand that these devices are slow, particularly when loaded and used...
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 10-08-10 at 09:21 AM.
    10-08-10 09:14 AM
    and when it comes to loading apps and app memory, lets not forget something crucial here... When a BB user loads his or her 256mb device will apps, be it paid or free, then upgrades to a 512mb device, that only gives the user 256 more to play with. Cause lets be honest here... odds are that the apps on your first device are getting transferred to your new device once you switch! 256mb "extra" in the smart phone world is enough to hold a BB user for just a few months before you start seeing the continuous hour glass issues and start having to pick and choose again which apps you may need to delete in order to have another more useful app. So at the end of the day, SPECS DO COUNT!
    10-08-10 09:29 AM
    and when it comes to loading apps and app memory, lets not forget something crucial here... When a BB user loads his or her 256mb device will apps, be it paid or free, then upgrades to a 512mb device, that only gives the user 256 more to play with. Cause lets be honest here... odds are that the apps on your first device are getting transferred to your new device once you switch! 256mb "extra" in the smart phone world is enough to hold a BB user for just a few months before you start seeing the continuous hour glass issues and start having to pick and choose again which apps you may need to delete in order to have another more useful app. So at the end of the day, SPECS DO COUNT!
    Of course specs count. My point is that you shouldn't be fooled into thinking one number can describe overall performance. My new laptop has a 2.5 GHz clock speed and my 7 year old desktop has a 3 GHz clock speed, but the laptop runs circles around the desktop in terms of performance.

And I agree that RIM needs to step it up, but I don't want a big screen and fast microprocessor at the expense of call quality and battery life. These trade-offs may be acceptable for casual / entertainment users (i.e., Android, iPhone), but I rely on my smart phone for business, so the fundamentals *must* be solid.
    10-08-10 09:41 AM
    Of course specs count. My point is that you shouldn't be fooled into thinking one number can describe overall performance. My new laptop has a 2.5 GHz clock speed and my 7 year old desktop has a 3 GHz clock speed, but the laptop runs circles around the desktop in terms of performance.

And I agree that RIM needs to step it up, but I don't want a big screen and fast microprocessor at the expense of call quality and battery life. These trade-offs may be acceptable for casual / entertainment users (i.e., Android, iPhone), but I rely on my smart phone for business, so the fundamentals *must* be solid.
    I see what you mean. I mean at the end of the day I would hope we all have the sense to think that any super chips or super specs would have negative tradeoffs. There's a balance that has to be found btwn staying competitive, making the devices productive, and preserving battery life.

But the frustrations of crackberrians is so loud that we just scream "SPECS" across the board
    10-08-10 10:02 AM
    I wouldn't say that. It has a small 3.1" screen, poor WVGA resolution, and no track pad. Motorola has set the bar very low. It should be easy for RIM to put the Droid Pro to shame (even repackaging the Torch would do it.).
    But they wont. Because they'd rather focus on making rehashes of phones they already have put out, and pieces of junk like the style.
    10-08-10 11:41 AM
    Processor speed is important. But numbers such as saying the new dvice must have a 1 gh processor to compete with the android is foolish. Those are just numbers. The new G2 phone from t-mobile has a 800mhz processor that suposidly runs circles around other devices with the 1gh processor. So my point is that clock speed numbers are a poor way to measure a device's speed. Lets see how it works in the real world.

My 9700 bold runs apps and everything I need it to as fast as the droid incredible I owned for 3 weeks. I wont go back to another android phone anytime soon. IMHO as a communication device BB is king, android dont come close yet.
    10-08-10 04:04 PM
    So you think a 3.1" 480x320 screen is superior to a 3.2" 480x360 screen? And no track pad is superior to an optical track pad?

Please troll, just go away. Tell your mommy that the grown ups don't like you any more.
    I noticed that you conveniently left out the 1.2 GHz processor, 512MB of RAM and on-board storage of 2GB that has room for 32GB of expandable microSD storage (Think Apps2SD), 7.2 hours of talk time, and support for Flash. But, I guess those don't count.
    10-08-10 04:12 PM
    actually im up at 5am and dont go to sleep till 11pm so id consider that convenient.
    10-08-10 08:15 PM
    I noticed that you conveniently left out the 1.2 GHz processor, 512MB of RAM and on-board storage of 2GB that has room for 32GB of expandable microSD storage (Think Apps2SD), 7.2 hours of talk time, and support for Flash. But, I guess those don't count.
    I admit, those are impressive specs. I just don't understand why Moto went cheap on the screen and the track pad.
    10-09-10 12:22 PM
    im still wondering where the dakota/magnum is

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-10 01:20 PM
    where the heck is this thing?! the 9700 is NOT a bold device. it should have been a completely different series IMO.
    10-09-10 08:26 PM
    I'm not a fan of the clamshell form factor on the 9670...we are not in 2003 anymore....RIM, bring on the Dakota!

Even the slider looks ok compared to the 9670!

But I will say that OS 6.0 looks promising.......
    I Never thought i would say this... but the 9670 is the only blackberry that i didn't like, I think i would stick with my curve rather than that
    10-09-10 08:50 PM
    I am really Jonesing for either a Torch or Dakota on VZ. Need keyboard want larger screen. Come on RIM throw us a bone.
    10-12-10 01:51 PM
    Need more news on this thing. When rumours first leaked out, it impressed the **** outta me
    10-14-10 01:04 AM
    I love seeing all these 9000 fans coming out of the woodwork. Best device RIM ever made. C-mon, let's go 9000 Refreshahhhhh

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    10-15-10 04:48 PM
    I really hope the trackpad stays... selecting small links, or copying small text is MUCH easier with a trackpad than your finger, imo

I really REALLY want my next BB to have the keyboard size of the 9000. Us guys with bigger hands really appreciate that extra little bit of size.
    Agreed. Besides selecting text and small links, the track pad works well with gloves on - a handy (pun intended) feature on a cold day.

I doubt if it is an accident that a Canadian company usually includes this capability when those companies from California typically do not.
    10-17-10 01:02 PM
    I have taken the liberty of modifying the image to add a trackpad. With the keyboard from the Curve, the trackpad and touch screen from the Torch, and the candybar form factor, this would be an incredible smartphone. Add a powerful processor with more memory and a high resolution screen (at least 480x640 VGA), and I think this would steal the market from the Droid Pro.

Last edited by Bob G; 10-17-10 at 02:06 PM.
    10-17-10 02:02 PM
    I have the Blackberry Torch (9800) but im waiting on the Blackberry Storm 3. Ive heard so much good stuff about it. That it might have a 1ghz processor in it and a High def screen. I hope it does come out im going to drop my torch and go to Verizon.
    10-17-10 02:21 PM
    I'm not a fan of the clamshell form factor on the 9670...we are not in 2003 anymore....RIM, bring on the Dakota!

With the official sprint release of the Style 9670 today I still stand by my original post opener....I'm just not interested.

But with the release of the Torch I'd like to see on Verizon something similar or the Dakota/Magnum/whatever...If vz goes with a Torch-like device, it better be LTE-ready and with a higher res screen and faster processor! C'mon, RIM, focus!
    10-18-10 12:01 PM

The clamshell form factor is very popular, and this is the very first one with a full keyboard. It is not intended to be a high end smartphone. It may sell well in its intended market.

But I also am hoping for the Dakota at the top end.
    10-18-10 12:35 PM
238 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD