That's a good point. The copy/paste thing us also a good point. But it would be nice if touch screen was perfected enough to go it alone.

Btw, I do use a touch screen. Been on a storm 2 since it was launched. Copy/paste is very hard to do, but the software seems to be more the culprit rather than the screen tech itself. Either way they do it, I just think this device is the perfect blackberry! Bring it RIM!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I rocked a 9530 for a year, now I'm on a 9700, and I really... REALLY love having a trackpad. Yes you can zoom in the browser to select links or highlight text, but it all takes extra time (lots and LOTS of extra time on a 9530, lol) and in a standard email or BBM message you can't quickly zoom, so stuck doing in the single pointy finger thing, and it gets frustrating.

Just my experience, but it's defineatly a case of personal opinion. In whatever form the 'new' 9000 comes out in, I hope it has both a touchscreen and a trackpad
    08-24-10 11:48 PM
    I rocked a 9530 for a year, now I'm on a 9700, and I really... REALLY love having a trackpad. Yes you can zoom in the browser to select links or highlight text, but it all takes extra time (lots and LOTS of extra time on a 9530, lol) and in a standard email or BBM message you can't quickly zoom, so stuck doing in the single pointy finger thing, and it gets frustrating.

Just my experience, but it's defineatly a case of personal opinion. In whatever form the 'new' 9000 comes out in, I hope it has both a touchscreen and a trackpad
    its funny but I'm changing my school of thought on this position and agreeing with you. Its funny but looking at the video of the magnum prototype on youtube, it just looks as if something is missing in btwn the BB and back buttons. I agree, I think for cut/paste, better web browsing navigation, and as an option when touch doesnt work quite well, the trackpad would work well as a backup. And I guess thats HTCs school of thought as well since they tend to impliment a trackball or pad as well in their full touch screen devices. But the way HTC impliments it, it just looks awkward and out of place. But on a BB, it fits nicely into the design
    08-25-10 07:03 AM
    Now that we all agree, let us hope that RIM is actually considering such a device...
    08-25-10 08:25 AM
    Just an added point for having the trackpad, one hand use. The 9000 is a larger device and while I do love the size, consumers with smaller hands/fingers, may not be able to reach the top of the screen or far sides--Universal marketing right there.
    08-31-10 07:48 AM
    After having used this torch for almost a month, I can say I thank god the trackpad is there. For one, the touch screen freezes and I'm forced to use the trackpad. 2: link clicking without zooming 3: copy/paste 4: scrolling without accidentally clicking.
    I can only hope that a non 9700 larger keyboard device gets built sometime soon. Ari Gold still carries his 9000 as the rest of the crew has jumped to the 9700. That tells you something right there darnit lol.

08-31-10 06:03 PM
    lol at the ari gold comment..gotta love entourage..I also can't wait for a phone like this to drop..I would love a 9000 size device, but I would not be mad if they kept the 9700 size..after playing with my screen pretending it was a touchscreen, I think it could work on that size of a screen. I would still rather have a 9000 size device, but its not the end of the world if its not. At least not for me.
    08-31-10 08:13 PM
    Sorry but there are lots of people out there including myself that would jump all over a bold sized new phone with the latest processor , os 6.0 and webkit.

It would be BBs best seller , just ask Kevin if he prefers the 9700 or a bold sized phone running on 9700 specs/ffactor.

Ditto... 9000 size was perfect. Keys were just the right size. Lots of typos with the 9650.
    09-11-10 03:05 PM
    lol at the ari gold comment..gotta love entourage..I also can't wait for a phone like this to drop..I would love a 9000 size device, but I would not be mad if they kept the 9700 size..after playing with my screen pretending it was a touchscreen, I think it could work on that size of a screen. I would still rather have a 9000 size device, but its not the end of the world if its not. At least not for me.
    Agreed... would prefer 9000 size, but not the end of the world. Just give me that phone.
    09-11-10 03:06 PM
    I really hope the trackpad stays... selecting small links, or copying small text is MUCH easier with a trackpad than your finger, imo

I really REALLY want my next BB to have the keyboard size of the 9000. Us guys with bigger hands really appreciate that extra little bit of size.
    100% with ya... keypad on 9000 was spectacular. Much bigger than that and it actually is more difficult to type fast. It was perfect.
    09-11-10 03:11 PM
    the 9650 is slightly wider than the 9700. I think if we made it the same shape as the 9650 but utilized more of the left and right sides to screen real estate instead of black borders, I'd like that better than a full size 9000. Also, if the touch screen was good enough that a track pad was not needed, then a lower half screen similar to a storm 2 can make this device's screen even bigger while still keeping the form factor as tight as possible.

But for some reason all RIM phones seem to need this black border around the screen which is a shame because other devices seem to really take advantage of the space. And with BB's, since you also want to add a keyboard but at the same time keep as much screen as possible, you would think they would try to maximize in this area.
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 09-12-10 at 10:05 PM.
    09-12-10 08:40 PM
    the 9650 is slightly wider than the 9700. I think if we made it the same shape as the 9650 but utilized more of the left and right sides to screen real estate instead of black boarders, I'd like that better than a full size 9000. Also, if the touch screen was good enough that a track pad was not needed, then a lower half screen similar to a storm 2 can make this device's screen even bigger while still keeping the form factor as tight as possible.

But for some reason all RIM phones seem to need this black border around the screen which is a shame because other devices seem to really take advantage of the space. And with BB's, since you also want to add a keyboard but at the same time keep as much screen as possible, you would think they would try to maximize in this area.
    Do you mean the border underneath the glass?

09-12-10 09:43 PM
    Yep! That plus the extra with of the 9650 specific bezel

09-12-10 10:02 PM
    This is most likely doctored, but with the exception of wanting the bold keyboard, this is exactly what I want!

Although this doctored photo looks slightly elongated. Probably to make the screen look bigger??? Either way, its still as close to my dream device as I've seen. What do you think?

I love that at the top it says "This is a photoshopped image created by Breathe T-Mobile so please don't go around spreading rumors".
    REALLY - thanks for the clarification.
    09-14-10 09:44 PM
    I really hope a 9000 sized BlackBerry comes soon with a trackpad, 800MHz or higher processor, 1500MAH battery, and 5mp camera with possible HD video recording.

That would be my dream Berry, but I'm loving my 9800 Torch for the time being<3
    09-20-10 06:38 PM
    shoot, I'd expect more than 800mhz! I'll accept 1ghz and no less, 1700mah battery (hey, if seidio can do it, then why not RIM), and a 6mp camera or higher! Dont give RIM reason to go as low as possible here! I'm not exactly saying to shoot for the stars here, its just THE LEAST they can do given the competition!
    09-21-10 07:55 PM
    shoot, I'd expect more than 800mhz! I'll accept 1ghz and no less, 1700mah battery (hey, if seidio can do it, then why not RIM), and a 6mp camera or higher! Dont give RIM reason to go as low as possible here! I'm not exactly saying to shoot for the stars here, its just THE LEAST they can do given the competition!
    ......i would assume that the next gen in BB would have a 1ghz processor........but when will they come out? 2014? lol jk, maybe end of 2011. thats a looooooooooong time to wait for a 1ghz phone when competitors are going to be dropping dual core phones left and right.
    09-23-10 01:05 AM
    I cant believe that a BB today still is either the same or slower than the BB 9000! SMH!
    09-24-10 12:12 PM
    i still use the 9000 and never jumped on the curve/9700/storm/torch wave. Its being rumored everywhere that Q1 2011 will bring something big "torch like" phone but substantially better. I'm gonna wait

btw, screw rims updated versions of existing phones, so lame
    09-30-10 07:15 AM
    Sorry but there are lots of people out there including myself that would jump all over a bold sized new phone with the latest processor , os 6.0 and webkit.

but if you look at the trends, RIM doesn't go for top-of-the-line processors. They increase it by minimal amounts. Same with memory (ie 128->256->512) if android can have a 1.2 and now a 2.5GB device why cant RIM?
    10-04-10 08:10 AM
    I hate to say it but it looks like Motorola have got there first with the Droid Pro http://www.androidcentral.com/droid-...ounced-verizon

10-06-10 04:20 AM
    I hate to say it but it looks like Motorola have got there first with the Droid Pro http://www.androidcentral.com/droid-...ounced-verizon

I wouldn't say that. It has a small 3.1" screen, poor WVGA resolution, and no track pad. Motorola has set the bar very low. It should be easy for RIM to put the Droid Pro to shame (even repackaging the Torch would do it.).
    10-07-10 08:11 AM
    You guys put way way to much emphasis on clock speed of the processor. RIM processors may be lower on clock speed but perform comparable to andriod devices in the same class of phone. Numbers are just what they are numbers. It all depends on how the device performs. My 9700 performs equal comapred to other high end android phones with 1gh processors. But I agree the new RIM devices should have faster processors, just dont put numbers on them. "They must be 1gh" that is nonsense. Apple processors are histroically much lower in clock speed than PC's but perform equally and better in many cases.
    10-07-10 12:56 PM
    An Interesting comment from TD Waterhouse today regarding RIM. I have copied and pasted the one section. Looks like we may get the touchscreen/Keyboard in early 2011.

When is RIM launching a similar form factor device? We believe RIM
    has a hybrid touchscreen-QWERTY device in development and it is
    scheduled to be released in the early part of 2011. Remember that RIM's
    latest touchscreen device (the Torch), is still essentially running on a
    hardware platform that dates back to the Bold 9000 (May 2008). The
    software is newer, but the hardware platform is due for replacement. In the
    past, RIM has launched a new hardware platform about every 3 years, but we
    believe competition has forced the company to accelerate its hardware design
    cycles. In any case, we expect a new hardware platform to be released early in 2011 that will support thinner and faster devices with a dedicated graphics processor.
    10-07-10 01:11 PM
    It would make sense for the next generation of Blackberry devices to be released next year to coincide with Verizon and other provider rollouts of LTE technology. Of course that is assuming Blackberry doesn't totally gaff and not make the phone LTE compatible.

There is no point to buying a non LTE phone now that LTE is just around the corner.
    10-07-10 02:53 PM
    tmo has lte like speeds with hspa+.

plz, bring on the dakota!
    10-08-10 04:34 AM
238 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD