If that article is true. This really sucks. For a year, the name Dakota stood for massive, boldy 9000ish beauty in my mind. And now, it means a curve? Feh.
    I'm tellin you, I'm going to find that geek who can gut a phone and frankenstein parts together....make my own berry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I know how you feel. I've been wanting more and more to get an android phone because I cannot keep waiting forever for RIM to make a device that I want.
    06-18-10 03:39 AM
    so a 3rd name change for the dakota? ah well i dont care. they need to push it back and add video calling. thats the new it thing now that the iphone and evo have it. samsung vibrat will be big too. a phone this big without video calling will render it anti climatic. especially since blackberry 6 isnt getting the greatest reviews.
    08-07-10 03:20 AM
    -Snag the Magnum/Dakota/whatever-its-called-now (complete with full QWERTY and touchscreen, but use the original Bold 9000 size...compared to the Torch it will still be neat and compact)
    - At least 1GB of device memory (loving the 512MB on my 9650, but more is always better)
    - At least 5mp camera and a front facing camera for Skype
    - OS 6 (obviously)

-LTE compatible

That's not so bad, is it?

CB Nation, add what you'd like to see on this model with Verizon!
    08-11-10 12:20 PM
    -Snag the Magnum/Dakota/whatever-its-called-now (complete with full QWERTY and touchscreen, but use the original Bold 9000 size...compared to the Torch it will still be neat and compact)
    - At least 1GB of device memory (loving the 512MB on my 9650, but more is always better)
    - At least 5mp camera and a front facing camera for Skype
    - OS 6 (obviously)

-LTE compatible

That's not so bad, is it?

CB Nation, add what you'd like to see on this model with Verizon!
    You forgot the most important thing on the phone... the processor. 1 Ghz at the minimum!

That is the ideal phone for me. I had a Treo 650 for years and I like the touch/physical abilities. I was waiting for that form factor but had to get the Tour to hold me over since I knew it was a few years out... When it comes out I will def be first in line.
    08-11-10 01:56 PM
    Think you guys need to give it up on this phone. There has been no info on it in months. Althou, I'm sure it still could be in the works, sitting here and speculating about it will almost be as frustrating as waiting for RIM to make a iPhone killer....hahaha
    08-11-10 05:28 PM
    IMO, the Torch physical keyboard/touchscreen combo raises the probability that this phone will happen. When? I have no clue lol
    08-13-10 09:58 AM
    This is the phone I'm waiting for as well, coming from years of Treos, and now the 9700. I think it will be a killer phone.
    08-13-10 06:57 PM
    If I do get a new phone, I would hope the Magnum would be available to me. Thats like a dream device!
    08-13-10 07:17 PM
    I too have been waiting for a 9700 with touch screen. Any other changes (faster processor, more mem, bigger screen, ect) is just cake. Just ad touchscreen to my 9700 and I am happy as a kitten!!!! No slide, flip, twist, or any other moving parts please!
    08-17-10 07:21 PM
    You forgot the most important thing on the phone... the processor. 1 Ghz at the minimum!

That is the ideal phone for me. I had a Treo 650 for years and I like the touch/physical abilities. I was waiting for that form factor but had to get the Tour to hold me over since I knew it was a few years out... When it comes out I will def be first in line.
    Yeah, I cant believe I forgot the processor.....thanks Stonedicator!!!
    08-19-10 01:29 PM
    I wonder if eliminating the trackpad would be a bad thing. If you keep that, you would have to keep the BB button, back button, and the call and end buttons. That only serves to make the screen smaller. I do see the appeal of the trackpad and the estedics of the original Bold, however, I wonder if the 4 buttons and the trackpad can somehow be inbeded into the screen like the Storm is now, and just add the keyboard right under it. The trackpad is redundent if you can navigate the OS with touch. And on a device where you want to maximize screen real estate, the trackpad would only serve to do the opposite.

ALso, although again, I see the appeal of the larger form factor of the 9000, I think it should stay with a 9700 form instead. If its larger than that, then at most, it should be somewhere in btwn, so long as the phone uses the maximun available space for the screen, theres nothing wrong with the 9700 form factor. Cause lets remember, in this device, the touch would purely be for navigation and scrolling the OS and icons. With the 9700 form, you can do that with ease and still keep the super sleek design that it is.
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 08-22-10 at 08:08 AM.
    08-22-10 08:05 AM
    This is most likely doctored, but with the exception of wanting the bold keyboard, this is exactly what I want!

Although this doctored photo looks slightly elongated. Probably to make the screen look bigger??? Either way, its still as close to my dream device as I've seen. What do you think?

08-22-10 10:01 AM
    This is most likely doctored, but with the exception of wanting the bold keyboard, this is exactly what I want!

Although this doctored photo looks slightly elongated. Probably to make the screen look bigger??? Either way, its still as close to my dream device as I've seen. What do you think?

man!!! that is exactly what i want my dream BB to be! slightly elongated touch screen, full 9000 style qwerty keypad, i'd be heaven and i know all my friends would be too
    08-22-10 12:20 PM
    I wouldnt even mind if it stayed with the exact same form factor as the 9700, as long as it had the keyboard of the current bold and as a plus, the metal backing of the Storm.

If the call/end/BB/back button were part of the screen, it would have to be a click screen, which in reality is not a bad thing since the keyboard wont be on screen. Either one is fine however. But if they wanted to do touch without a click, then the physical buttons have to be layed out like the picture shows.

I would probably prefer a click screen since its only clickable for navigation which would be quite cool

And thinking about it again and again and looking at the design ideas, I think a trackpad would be redundant and a big mistake! I say keep it simple and keep it like the Storm's lower screen keys. Looks much much sleeker that way too and makes the screen appear even bigger
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 08-22-10 at 12:48 PM.
    08-22-10 12:45 PM

that is one sexy device.. Lets hope this is real by the end of the year
    08-22-10 01:18 PM
    I really hope the trackpad stays... selecting small links, or copying small text is MUCH easier with a trackpad than your finger, imo

I really REALLY want my next BB to have the keyboard size of the 9000. Us guys with bigger hands really appreciate that extra little bit of size.
    08-22-10 02:06 PM
    that is one sexy device.. Lets hope this is real by the end of the year
    That device does not exist. Most of the concept for that device because the craptacular Torch.
    08-22-10 02:14 PM
    on the outside: Bold size, touchscreen and keyboard on a candybar device would be my next update (if it ever comes out)...
    on the inside: 1ghz cpu if the battery life doesn't suffer, 1gb memory, opengl support, don't really care about camera which are 3mp+ or front facing ones...

Does anyone feel this will never come out?
    08-22-10 04:06 PM
    I'd say it will come out in a year to a year and a half if it makes it bast testing phases.
    08-22-10 06:40 PM
    BlackBerry Bold9000 set the mark for all the future devices... Hard to believe they've seemingly lost sight of that image. I'm sure the Dakota will be a real device one day, though Rim should stop trying to please everyone. Keep it simpler. Bold/curve/pearl/storm exc, all with respectable sizes. Just keep making them better.

08-22-10 06:41 PM
    I really hope the trackpad stays... selecting small links, or copying small text is MUCH easier with a trackpad than your finger, imo

I really REALLY want my next BB to have the keyboard size of the 9000. Us guys with bigger hands really appreciate that extra little bit of size.
    If the trackpad stayed, what would be the purpose of a touch screen? Its redundant and it'll just take away from the potential screen real estate. Navigating it like you do with a storm seems sufficient enough in my view

08-22-10 08:42 PM
    Trackpad can often be more accurate when selecting text, in particular for copy and paste, I tried it with touchscreen, and it s not so fast than with the trackpad or trackball. But it is true that this would reduce the screen size though...or they could bring the side scroll back. That actually was working pretty good when using the m600i
    08-23-10 06:19 AM
    Trackpad can often be more accurate when selecting text, in particular for copy and paste, I tried it with touchscreen, and it s not so fast than with the trackpad or trackball. But it is true that this would reduce the screen size though...or they could bring the side scroll back. That actually was working pretty good when using the m600i
    one would hope that a trackpad wont be implimented simply for copy/paste to work better! But your right, copy/paste on the storm is pretty bad as it is now. I think it can be perfected and if this device comes to light, save some real estate and leave out a trackpad.
    08-23-10 03:47 PM
    If the trackpad stayed, what would be the purpose of a touch screen? Its redundant and it'll just take away from the potential screen real estate. Navigating it like you do with a storm seems sufficient enough in my view

i take it u have never used a touchscreen phone.

i have used the htc p4000 (htc mogul to americans), htc touch pro 1, htc touch pro 2

the touch pro 2 had no directinal button or anything to move around. it was EXTREMELY annoying.

a trackpad is required. think in the winter u cant use your phone with gloves. with a pad u can.

if they dont put a trackpad in whatever this device ends up being i am definitely not buying and they can go to ****. this device has been pushed back what a year now. its annoying. get your crap together rim.

add video calling pls and thanks
    08-24-10 09:29 PM
    That's a good point. The copy/paste thing us also a good point. But it would be nice if touch screen was perfected enough to go it alone.

Btw, I do use a touch screen. Been on a storm 2 since it was launched. Copy/paste is very hard to do, but the software seems to be more the culprit rather than the screen tech itself. Either way they do it, I just think this device is the perfect blackberry! Bring it RIM!

08-24-10 10:21 PM
238 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD