I really want to see this phone come out before the end of the year....
    05-19-10 11:15 AM
    Which phone is the Dakota? I think the Magnum Is the touch-screen Bold, right?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-10 02:23 PM
    I'd buy this device if it came out!

05-19-10 02:33 PM
    Which phone is the Dakota? I think the Magnum Is the touch-screen Bold, right?
    Magnum seemed to be the first codename for that kind of form factor, then we got the dakota name showing up and now things seem to have gone quiet on any codename at all, so maybe that form factor has got pushed right back by the slider which fills a similar need and offers a larger screen for browsing.
    05-19-10 10:40 PM
    Magnum seemed to be the first codename for that kind of form factor, then we got the dakota name showing up and now things seem to have gone quiet on any codename at all, so maybe that form factor has got pushed right back by the slider which fills a similar need and offers a larger screen for browsing.
    Thanks, i was just curious.

05-20-10 05:57 AM
    That's too bad, cuz I would love a bold w/ a touchscreen. Not a big fan of sliders/flip phones personally.

05-24-10 08:35 PM
    I'm starting to doubt we'll ever see the Dakota/Magnum... Using my 9700 I'm hard pressed to see the usefulness of touch capability on such a small screen... On the Slider yeah, as it has the screen realestate... And even then... The touchpad is such a good pointing device - quick and precise - not sure I'd personally even want a touchscreen Bold at this point unless the screen grew larger (the device would be more Pixi proportioned if not a Slider)

I happen to agree with you about the trackpad on the newer BlackBerry's. No matter how u look at it, it's way more accurate than the trackball of previous blackberry's and there's no moving parts to worry about. DEATH TO THE TRACKBALL!

05-25-10 09:07 AM
    I'm also favoring the slider more and more for some reason....

The rest of this year better be a good one for RIM (cuz its been disappointing so far)

*I'm probably just going to get the 9650 (if it ever releases)......
    05-28-10 11:57 AM
    i would really want a dakota,,,,
    05-28-10 12:06 PM
    awwww. Not crappy. its just good enough to give people like me with no imagination an idea of what it would look like. Thanks!

And with the screen being a little bigger as in your pic, i would consider this phone!

Attachment 61975

like this rick i lowered the keyboard and made a bigger screen i know its crappy but dont have photoshop!!! srry
    05-29-10 02:49 PM
    Anyone knows what's the 'delay factor' for dakota?

05-31-10 03:03 AM
    Anyone knows what's the 'delay factor' for dakota?

A rumored device that never even had a hint of a release date is somehow delayed? It is no wonder that rim made a big effort to cut down on leaks.
    05-31-10 08:21 AM
    Have a look at the ACER E130 video and you might have an idea of what this hybrid touchscreen/keyboard candybar phone could be...I come from a sony ericsonn m900 and I miss the possibility to have a touchscreen in addition of the keyboard...
    06-06-10 04:37 PM
    As somebody who had a Treo 650 for about 4 years I would love to see this phone in production. It would be automatic buy for me. Having a bb physical keyboard and a touchscreen would just be awesome. I felt losing my touchscreen was a big loss when I switched to my Tour. Granted I picked up a lot better phone so I am not complaining at all, just saying the next step for rimm should be THIS phone.

You have to wonder if RIM will ever "shock the world" and do something ahead of its time. Maybe throw a 1 ghz processor and 1 gb of ram and release this bad boy in sept of this year? haha who am I kidding it will be more like sept 2014...
    06-14-10 10:21 AM
    I had a m600i before my first BB, and I really like to have both a full qwerty keayboard (those rocking keys were great) and a touchscreen for fast navigation, in particular for browsing the net. I hope RIM is still aiming at such a phone. This acer E130 looks great..and I m not such a big fan of sliding devices, candybars are much easier and faster to use
    06-15-10 08:11 AM
    Dakota definitely exists. In fact, I think it's the future of the Bold series, since the 9800 is apparently going to be in the new Torch series of sliders. That means a Fall 2010 release, with better specs than the 9700/9650.

What could a Fall 2010 flagship qwerty Blackberry be?

1GHz CPU (should be better, but RIM is always behind the curve, and 1GHz Android phones have been out since January 2010)

512MB RAM (ideally 1GB because of how memory hogging BB OS tends to be, but RIM isn't going to put more than the minimum needed to run OS6 webkit since they're cheap)

800x480 or 720x480 screen (depending on if they go with the Bold 9000 or Bold 9700/9650 aspect ratio, but they won't do 960x640 like the iPhone 4 since the Dakota screen will be a bit smaller due to having a keyboard, even if it's Bold 9000 sized)

5MP camera with autofocus and flash (RIM has always lagged in cameras so I doubt they'd leap above the 9650)

NO trackpad - I know this will be controversial, but it will allow them to get rid of that whole row of huge buttons and make the touch screen bigger, since size is an issue when cramming a qwerty keyboard below

NEW DESIGN - all the Blackberrys of the past two years have looked the same, with that chrome border that looked nice as a stolen piece of aesthetic from the iPhone at first but now just looks dated, especially now that iPhone 4 has moved to a more industrial look

Will it have a front facing camera to rival the iPhone 4? Maybe. Does it need one? Not really. If it doesn't have it though, it'll need some other new feature if it wants to stand out. Dakota meeting the specs I just laid out would only be considered an average update, nothing special compared to Android or iPhone 4, and overall consumer sentiment and media opinion will be that RIM continues to play catchup and isn't pioneering the way.

To win the hearts and minds of the media and consumers, RIM would need to meet or exceed the specs laid out above, have a front facing camera for voice chat, and maybe even support LTE so they can market it as a 4G phone, to give it something over the other premium priced smartphones this year (other than the EVO, the only other premium smartphone to support 4G so far, but that's on Sprint, a small and not as important carrier). Alternatively to 4G LTE support, RIM would need some other GOOD unique feature to set the Dakota Bold apart, and actually push things forward instead of playing catchup.
    06-16-10 04:06 AM
    I agree with most of the above with the exception of one thing - the trackpad. Colossal fail if they go this way.
    06-16-10 09:33 AM
    How about a touchscreen trackpad? Is that possible... there I go thinking outside the box again

When I see a touchscreen trackpad in 2013 I am coming back to this post! lol
    06-16-10 11:34 AM
    I agree with most of the above with the exception of one thing - the trackpad. Colossal fail if they go this way.
    Actually a trackpad and a touchscreen would be sort of redundant...
    06-16-10 04:08 PM
    Actually a trackpad and a touchscreen would be sort of redundant...
    I still would want a track pad for some things, but it wouldn't be the end of the world without it

Last edited by bpgui; 06-16-10 at 07:27 PM.
    06-16-10 05:56 PM
    06-16-10 08:56 PM
    I hope that is wrong in calling it a curve.
    06-16-10 09:05 PM
    if it is a curve, thats really disappointing. like, almost laughable
    06-17-10 02:14 AM
    So unless you're a Curve fanatic, forget the name Dakota. What you were waiting for to appear as the Dakota is apparently now the Bold 9900 Onyx Delta.
    06-17-10 05:58 AM
    If that article is true. This really sucks. For a year, the name Dakota stood for massive, boldy 9000ish beauty in my mind. And now, it means a curve? Feh.
    I'm tellin you, I'm going to find that geek who can gut a phone and frankenstein parts together....make my own berry.

06-18-10 02:29 AM
238 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD