Coming from a curve 9300, I have to admit the life of this phone is really shorter, even if I never experienced reals troubles regarding battery life with my 9900. I upgraded to 7.1.205 to get the mobile hotspot (wich works perfecly for me, actually) a week ago. Day one, it equals 7.0.503 (the best for battery life IMO), second day, it already exceeds it. My problem now is to find a way to drain the battery daily to justify the overnight charging, considering I tested the phone during a week-end off and the battery last me a TRUE 24 hours (6 sleeping-idle hours included) with moderate usage, 16 hours with a serious usage, and 12 if I literraly stays hands on the phone (BBM, multi-tabs browsing, media player non-stop, texts, around an hour of calls)... Think about it.
    01-25-12 06:04 PM
    Coming from a curve 9300, I have to admit the life of this phone is really shorter, even if I never experienced reals troubles regarding battery life with my 9900. I upgraded to 7.1.205 to get the mobile hotspot (wich works perfecly for me, actually) a week ago. Day one, it equals 7.0.503 (the best for battery life IMO), second day, it already exceeds it. My problem now is to find a way to drain the battery daily to justify the overnight charging, considering I tested the phone during a week-end off and the battery last me a TRUE 24 hours (6 sleeping-idle hours included) with moderate usage, 16 hours with a serious usage, and 12 if I literraly stays hands on the phone (BBM, multi-tabs browsing, media player non-stop, texts, around an hour of calls)... Think about it.
    I want your battery life. I browse all day at school and by 3:30 my phone is essentially dead. That's with a full nights charge and off the charger from 6:30 in the morning.
    01-25-12 06:08 PM
    If you have OS7.1.x.x, activate the diagnostics tool and see how much you lose per hour. When I have BB Bridge enabled I get about 5%/hr which the tool classifies as "HIGH". If you have BT off, you should be getting around 3% which the tool classifies as "NORMAL".

Based on what you reported, your are losing about 5%/hr, so if you have BT enabled this is within the normal range; if not, you have a battery hog app running there.
    01-25-12 06:13 PM
    Hey, could you please define "heavy usage"? Because it seems it varies as to what people mean. Do you mean a lot of browser usage? Because I use my browser a lot and by the end of classes (6:30 AM - 3:14 PM) my phone is in the orange.
    Hmmm...I'm not very good at this but I'll give it a try. I receive and send about 50 to 60 emails a day, talk on the phone for about an hour, send and receive about 25 sms/mms, surf the web for about 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours, be weather and facebook push each hour and I look at twiiter, rss feeds and facebook through social feeds about 30 minutes or so a day and maybe listen to the radio or music for about 30 minutes on most days. Some of this stuff hits the phone hard from a battery perspective but it evens out along with stand by time throughout the day. I am bad at these estimates for some reason so I might be a little off on this. I also have my screen set at about 50% and I use my calendar and tasks quite a bit too. I think that about covers it. I don't play games on my phone, I usually do that on my playbook.
    Last edited by D_March; 01-25-12 at 06:22 PM.
    01-25-12 06:18 PM
    my phone battery behaviour has changed. im getting excellent battery life. very happy
    01-25-12 06:26 PM
    Hmmm...I'm not very good at this but I'll give it a try. I receive and send about 50 to 60 emails a day, talk on the phone for about an hour, send and receive about 25 sms/mms, surf the web for about 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours, be weather and facebook push each hour and I look at twiiter, rss feeds and facebook through social feeds about 30 minutes or so a day and maybe listen to the radio or music for about 30 minutes on most days. Some of this stuff hits the phone hard from a battery perspective but it evens out along with stand by time throughout the day. I am bad at these estimates for some reason so I might be a little off on this. I also have my screen set at about 50% and I use my calendar and tasks quite a bit too. I think that about covers it. I don't play games on my phone, I usually do that on my playbook.
    I see. I've noticed that I can do anything (message, email, call, text, etc) and still have 50% battery life (now, since 6:30 AM). Now if I throw in ANY browser usage in there it just completely DESTROYS my battery life.
    01-25-12 06:29 PM
    I want your battery life. I browse all day at school and by 3:30 my phone is essentially dead. That's with a full nights charge and off the charger from 6:30 in the morning.
    Wich phone do you have ? 9900 or 9930 ? The people I know with the 9930 can reach the battery life I have with the same settings : 3G&2G, 50 % brightness, 30 seconds of backlight, GPS location off. Plus, I don't use, facebook, twitter and I simply deleted Social Feeds. You talked about browsing in school. In my case, I'm very careful with that. Many places im my school don't support 3G network and/or wifi. You have to check the network available at the moment and the time you browse the web to be s�re to not drain your battery. Good luck.
    01-25-12 06:32 PM
    I see. I've noticed that I can do anything (message, email, call, text, etc) and still have 50% battery life (now, since 6:30 AM). Now if I throw in ANY browser usage in there it just completely DESTROYS my battery life.
    Yep, browser is tough on any phone's battery.
    01-25-12 06:36 PM
    Yep, browser is tough on any phone's battery.
    It's lightweight on mine. (external charger, 3500 mAh extended battery, stock battery.)
    01-25-12 07:04 PM
    It's lightweight on mine. (external charger, 3500 mAh extended battery, stock battery.)
    That is one major league battery.
    01-25-12 07:10 PM
    Wich phone do you have ? 9900 or 9930 ? The people I know with the 9930 can reach the battery life I have with the same settings : 3G&2G, 50 % brightness, 30 seconds of backlight, GPS location off. Plus, I don't use, facebook, twitter and I simply deleted Social Feeds. You talked about browsing in school. In my case, I'm very careful with that. Many places im my school don't support 3G network and/or wifi. You have to check the network available at the moment and the time you browse the web to be s�re to not drain your battery. Good luck.
    I have the 9900. My settings are: brightness default, 3G, 30 seconds of backlight, GPS off. I do use facebook, not frequently - just if I get notifications, it updates every 3 hours. How many bars should I have so that it wouldn't drain the battery while browsing too much? A lot of places at my school have half to full bars, so I'm curious.

My phone's been off the hook about 8 AM this morning, it's 8:40 PM right now and I'm 41% battery. That's just very light calling, some BBM, some texting, and an email or two. Also used mobile hotspot for about 10 minutes today.
    01-25-12 07:40 PM
    Earlier just at home talking to 2 people on BBM for about 2 hours I was getting 10-11% discharge rate.
    01-25-12 08:51 PM
    Guys I am using 9900 from 2 months Please help with Battery Life, It gets over in 4 hours,
    I only use this phone for emails and BBM and no other use, I dont use Apps like facebook or twitter cause troubled with battery life, I spoke to person in BBM he says there is a update which improves your battery life Help me Thanks Ashwin Agarwal
    01-26-12 02:19 AM
    I have the 9900. My settings are: brightness default, 3G, 30 seconds of backlight, GPS off. I do use facebook, not frequently - just if I get notifications, it updates every 3 hours. How many bars should I have so that it wouldn't drain the battery while browsing too much? A lot of places at my school have half to full bars, so I'm curious.

My phone's been off the hook about 8 AM this morning, it's 8:40 PM right now and I'm 41% battery. That's just very light calling, some BBM, some texting, and an email or two. Also used mobile hotspot for about 10 minutes today.
    Well, It's not impressive but not bad at all. Your settings are good except for the 3G only and I'll explain you why. In the first day when I got the phone, I was used to leave on 3G cause even on 3G&2G, I noticed the network was most of the time H +. But once in a classroom, my network reception was really unstable and I saw my battery drained pretty fast with the phone on idle... The 3G&2G automatically adjust the network depending of your signal (H + when it's strong, EDGE if it's not). It's not a really BIG deal but really helpful at the end of the day, when you're watching every minute how much is your battery life. Also, consider an interesting fact : EXCEPT IF YOU ARE IN A CALL, the battery last until 1 %, with radio on (if you're talking to someone, the call will drop at 8 %, like usual) on 7.1.205. So if you're not a big talker, you have a real 100% to enjoy your phone !!! Black&Bold...
    Last edited by blackberry_lover_forever; 01-26-12 at 05:42 AM. Reason: typing
    01-26-12 05:40 AM
    Hi folks. Does anybody have any figures (or even a reasonable guess) as to what has the most impact on battery life ? e.g. Bluetooth, Wifi, poor 3G signal etc.

I've had my 9900 for a month or two, and have had frankly shocking batter life, after coming from a 9800 which was pretty good. I use BBM quite a lot, but not much voice, moderate email, and some browsing. My phone has been virtually dead by lunchtime.

Today, after reading about the new Device Analyser, I turned off bluetooth, WiFi and set it to 2g only (I live in a poor area signal-wise, and my commute to work goes in and out of signal the whole time). It's now 8.30pm and I've still 15% left.

I'm trying to work out which of these will have most impact - I suspect the 2G, but I never saw drain like this on my 9800.

Any suggestions gratefully received

Cheers
    01-26-12 02:35 PM
    Turning off the GPS location service made a difference for me

Options/Device/Location Settings: Location Service= E911only
    01-26-12 03:44 PM
    I upgraded to .205 yesterday. Today, the battery life was absolute . Idle, the discharge rate was 12% / hour. Absolutely terrible. On .74 my battery life was a lot better than this. Maybe it's because I restored all the files from .74. I'll re-load it with .205 today with new files and I'll see how it goes.
    01-26-12 04:17 PM
    Would you share your operating environmental information? Are you in a WiFi environ, 4G, moving in and out of good comm? Do you use Bluetooth frequently via ear piece or Playbook, etc..?
    I have a pretty good wifi signal, and a very strong 4g connection all day. I have bluetooth turned on most of the time, although I don't use it that much. If I do, it's usually talking via earpiece these days.
    01-29-12 05:43 AM
    I only have whatsapp on and my battery drains extremely quickly. I've sent five text messages in the last 2 hours and it is already at 90%.
    01-29-12 09:13 AM
    I upgraded to .205 yesterday. Today, the battery life was absolute . Idle, the discharge rate was 12% / hour. Absolutely terrible. On .74 my battery life was a lot better than this. Maybe it's because I restored all the files from .74. I'll re-load it with .205 today with new files and I'll see how it goes.
    I went from 7.0.0.353 to 7.1.0.205 in hopes of getting better battery life, and it actually got worse for me as well. I'm starting to think there may just be some problem in the radio code that RIM accidentally managed to fix in some 7.0.0.5?? build and then either forgot, or never ported to 7.1.
    01-29-12 11:36 AM
    I def need a spare battery or charge this phone as many times possible before I head out. I die in like 3-4 hours after taking it off the charger...
    01-29-12 01:31 PM
    I def need a spare battery or charge this phone as many times possible before I head out. I die in like 3-4 hours after taking it off the charger...
    You need to also have an external charger. Look up universal cellphone battery charger on ebay. Tons for cheap and they do the job well, the ones with sliders that adjust the contact positions are what you need.
    01-29-12 01:37 PM
97 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD