9900 for me although I do still love both my 9900 and my 9700.

1. Bigger Screen
    2. Bigger Keyboard
    3. Better Hardware
    11-17-11 09:04 PM
    I really couldn't go back to the smaller key board. I tried using my old 9630, similar form factor to the 97XX, and it was a major no go. The 9930 keyboard is so genius. Lack of auto focus is a chink in the 9930's armor but not enough for me to care about. The device is bar far my favorite device, I've gone through several phones in the last 2 years. So, 9930 is here to stay, that is until QNX comes, no rush though.
    11-17-11 09:34 PM
    I love my 9900 best out of all the BBs. The keyboard, size, form, and design have me all in. I would like auto-focus, but that is the least of things and I can live without it.
    11-17-11 09:35 PM
    What Kevin said about focusing is the truth. I take photos up close so it irritates me to **** that no autofocus. Stop making so many devices and just make one or two that are great. I hope they read these forums.
    Apparently, in the final stages of designing, the phones go through RIM's in-house "How-to-screw-a-fantastic-concept" department.
    It comprises of the top brass of RIM. The no-autofocus camera on 9900, the raised keys on the 9790, and the new range of low power batteries are all their brainchilds!
    They have a lot more to their credit, like the tacky silver battery door on the Torch 9810.
    This department's motto is: WE DON'T NEED ANY COMPETITOR TO DECLASS OUR PHONES; WE ARE QUITE CAPABLE OF DOING IT OURSELVES.
    An insider working with RIM tells me that the BBX phone design is almost complete, and the way it's turned out to be, it will blow away all competition. But sadly the design now has to pass through this infamous department which has quite many "fabulous innovative" ideas up their sleeve, like reducing the battery power to 900
    mAh. They are also contemplating on
    adding a shiny GOLD color battery
    door..
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Kishore Thaakur; 11-17-11 at 10:04 PM.
    ekv and irkan like this.
    11-17-11 09:56 PM
    I'm sticking wit my 9900, I went from the 9700 to the 9900 (never bothered going to the 9780 bcuz I didn't like the dark bezel on it cuz I like the shiny chrome look), n man the a difference between them. After using the 9900 i couldn't go back to the 9700, it didn't feel nice like the 9900, when first had the 9700 it felt good in the hand but man the 9900 blew it away. So I'm sticking with the 9900 mainly cuz of the look n feel of it. The 9900's keyboard is sooo good it's the best keyboard yet or maybe EVER (made the 9700 keyboard feel awkward) better keyboard then any phone ANY PHONE, a nice size 640 x 480 touch screen, the brushed stainless steel bezel gives it a really nice elegant look to it, the nice soft touch rubber material on the back n last but not least the woolen glass composite door that looks like carbon fiber! overall this is the sexiest phone out right now over every other phone. So yea I'm gonna stay with the 9900
    aafranki likes this.
    11-17-11 10:07 PM
    I just received my 9900 today and am posting this reply using same. I upgraded earlier this year from a 9700 to Android, but didn't like it's call quality or the email/texting on it....seemed cumbersome to me. I went with the 9900 because of the larger keypad, which is hands down the best I have ever used. I have larger hands and like the larger size of the phone and keys. Battery life so far seems good to me....no complaints there. I havn't messed with the camera but I bet it's as good as any others I've used. I put a 32Gb microSDHC card in it. I only use Linux at home, but connected it by USB to my PC and dumped a bunch of music in it. The built-in BB music app went out and found all the album covers without me doing anything...a nice feature. The phone only arrived with a USB cable, no dock or even a case, so I'll have to buy those separately. I believe this to be the best phone I have ever owned, and that includes a previous IPhone, 9700, and Motorola Atrix 4G. The 9900 is 4G also by the way. I'm not a fanboy of any brand of phone. But I really like this one over all I have had before...it's that good. So glad I got it!

11-17-11 10:07 PM
    the 9900 is the flagship device for RIM, and it will stay that way!
    11-17-11 11:12 PM
    I have to stay with the 9900. I loved my 9700, but yeah....bigger keyboard, love the easy to use dock, thinner profile, and it just looks like a real workhorse. I'm sure the 9790 will hold up, like my 9700, but this 9900 is built like a tank.
    11-18-11 12:04 AM
    why can't BB make a perfect phone with EVERYTHING on it?? are they scared that once they make it, then they would run out of things to improve in upcoming models? seriously...it's not that hard to do...

1) give me the 9900 body and keyboard
    2) add autofocus camera (huge oversight here on my part, thought it would have autofocus for sure!)
    3) make it 8.0MP too
    4) fix bricking and battery problems
    5) make it faster (mine still freezes from time to time)

there was that so difficult? perfect phone I could keep for 5 years...or until BBX kills off BBOS...
    emirozmen likes this.
    11-18-11 12:25 AM
    I remember when I was shopping for my first Blackberry, I was instantly enamored with the 9000 great form factor, but I despised the trackball, then the 9700 I though, smaller and more compact, had the trackpad and I was sold. Upon damaging my 9700 at a club bathroom (don't ask) Insurance sent me the 9800 (yuck) Being used to the Bold Keyboard....the 9800 keyboard was horrible (big hands/fingers) eventually got used to it, than AT&T finally released the 9900, everything I wanted in a BB since always like the 9000's form factor....but honestly...If the 9790 was exactly like the 9700 (uograded internals) ir even the 9780 with Touchscreen, I would've gone that route, but I don't like the menu keys of the 9790...with that said Bold 9900 FTW!
    11-18-11 01:05 AM
    RIM should definitely release a 9900 update which will include an autofocus camera. I dont understand, why RIM didnt put it in the original version. Stupid.
    11-18-11 02:15 AM
    Was going to stick with the 9900 when my contract is up..still sticking with that idea. Not fussed with lack autofocus camera. If the issues with 9900 that I read are software related then I hope RIM puts out an update asap!
    11-18-11 03:44 AM
    The 9790? Chick phone.
    11-18-11 03:55 AM
    RIM should definitely release a 9900 update which will include an autofocus camera. I dont understand, why RIM didnt put it in the original version
    auto focus is a hardware thing. It requires mechanical parts on the camera. Software cannot solve this issue.

HD recording can be brought to 9790 by software update however. If RIM choose to, that is.
    11-18-11 04:33 AM
    I've had the 9900, love the keyboard & Touchscreen hated no autofocus & crap battery, I was back on my 9780 within a month & appreciating so much more than I ever did. I'm getting the 9790 & I think the touchscreen will be a nice addition even though the screens smaller. It will also be nice to have BB7 as well & an autofocus camera is essential (I photograph documents alot so need that close up focus). Hopefully have a better battery life due to smaller Screen because I know it's the same battery as 9900 so let's see. I'll be keeping my 9780 just in case because I have no problem what so ever goin back to the 'Greatest Ever BlackBerry' in my eyes. I can't wait.
    Last edited by nat750; 11-18-11 at 05:31 AM.
    Robert22 likes this.
    11-18-11 05:28 AM
    When the 9900 series was announced, I thought, "looks perfect!! what could go wrong!?"

I did not even know that a non-autofocus camera was even an option these days!

I was just waiting for all the whiners to start complaining about trivial stuff.... and honestly, complaining about the appearance of those buttons could not be any more trivial!.... but the lack of autofocus (for shots of documents) blindsided me. I didn't know they still made fixed focus lenses.

Also, I just realized that this new smaller, autofocusing bold is a GSM... so no way for Verizon to have it. Maybe it will show up.
    11-18-11 06:47 AM
    I stay with Bold 9900 until the BBX Era is coming..
    and i think Bold 9790 are for Mrs.CrackBerry..
    11-18-11 09:37 AM
    auto focus is a hardware thing. It requires mechanical parts on the camera. Software cannot solve this issue.

HD recording can be brought to 9790 by software update however. If RIM choose to, that is.
    I know it, RIM should produce something like a Blackberry 9980, which would be a 9900 with autofocus.
    11-18-11 01:02 PM
    When the 9900 series was announced, I thought, "looks perfect!! what could go wrong!?"

I was just waiting for all the whiners to start complaining about trivial stuff.... and honestly, complaining about the appearance of those buttons could not be any more trivial!.... but the lack of autofocus (for shots of documents) blindsided me. I didn't know they still made fixed focus lenses.

Also, I just realized that this new smaller, autofocusing bold is a GSM... so no way for Verizon to have it. Maybe it will show up.
    Exactly what I was thinking while I was waiting for it to be released, and in every video that crackberry & others showed before the release nobody mentioned the no auto focus. And than throw in the battery reviews and I just waited an extra month and a half to get the iphone
    11-18-11 02:04 PM
    why can't BB make a perfect phone with EVERYTHING on it?? are they scared that once they make it, then they would run out of things to improve in upcoming models? seriously...it's not that hard to do...
    Agree with even less restrictions...

1. give me a 9900 OR 9790 body/keyboard
    2. Include an auto focus camera
    3. Include HD recording
    4. Include NFC

Why is neither the 9900 or 9790 a complete package?! Lunacy. It's almost like they're trying to frustrate users away from the brand. The 9900 is almost there. the 9790 is almost there. the problem is, the piece that's missing from both is HUGE!

I have a 9800 with a battery that lasts me about 6 hours tops. I don't know if it's the battery or something in the phone causing the problem. I'd like to update, but unfortunately, the complete package BB isn't available.

People complain about all the different BBs and form factors. Problem is, with all those options, none of them are complete. It's mind-bogglingly frustrating.

I want to replace my wife's 8900. The 9360 would be perfect, except for the dam* camera. completely unacceptable. Same issue with the 9900 (which is too big for her). There's no good option. Maybe the 9790, but no HD recording to record the kids.

WHY RIM WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO US?!!
    11-18-11 03:57 PM

+1
    These are my exact thoughts!! They actually resurrected the fixed focus lens.
    They managed to fit an autofocus lens in an 9790 which infact is more compact than the 9900.
    It's 'SUICIDE IN MOTION'. They are pushing us more and more each day towards apple. Imagine what would happen, the day apple launches 'Push Mail'. They are almost ready with iMessage.. I am sure most of us will move (minus ofcourse the RIM fanatics, who are infact responsible for this complacent attitude of RIM).

11-18-11 04:15 PM
    The big keyboard is nice but I often type with one hand on my 9700 _ I looked at a 9900 today and found that the reach for the thumb is just too far for one handed thumbtyping.

There also is NO excuse for not having autofocus on the 9900 - if even the 9700 has that!! Autofocus is absolutely essential on my phone because I often take pics of documents and they have to be readable. The 9700 does this extremely well - they left autofocus off the playbook so what am I supposed to use?

I will probably go with the 9730 and happy I found out about it before making my purchase - will miss the bigger screen, but that is what playbook is for!
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-18-11 at 08:08 PM.
    11-18-11 07:56 PM
    Apparently, in the final stages of designing, the phones go through RIM's in-house "How-to-screw-a-fantastic-concept" department.
    It comprises of the top brass of RIM. The no-autofocus camera on 9900, the raised keys on the 9790, and the new range of low power batteries are all their brainchilds!
    They have a lot more to their credit, like the tacky silver battery door on the Torch 9810.
    This department's motto is: WE DON'T NEED ANY COMPETITOR TO DECLASS OUR PHONES; WE ARE QUITE CAPABLE OF DOING IT OURSELVES.
    An insider working with RIM tells me that the BBX phone design is almost complete, and the way it's turned out to be, it will blow away all competition. But sadly the design now has to pass through this infamous department which has quite many "fabulous innovative" ideas up their sleeve, like reducing the battery power to 900
    mAh. They are also contemplating on
    adding a shiny GOLD color battery
    door..
    Is this the same dept. that decided nobody ever types with one hand and made a concave cheap feeling keyboard on the Torch? and a base too wide to span the keyboard with your thumbs on the 9900? and decided that "thinness" was an essential functionality feature? More important than actual features? More important than actually being able to comfortable grasp the thing?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-18-11 at 08:13 PM.
    11-18-11 08:06 PM
    True. The contacts do make for an "easy on/easy off" process for charging.
    Also a disadvantage. I bought my $40 charging pod for the 9900 only to find out that my charging contacts do not work. And I am sure as **** not sending my phone away to get replaced over that issue. USB is more reliable.
    11-18-11 08:08 PM
    reason for the 9900 over the 9790: it was available 2 months ago.

reason I want to keep my 9900: this is the most incredible phone I have ever used. The keyboard is too die for and the idea of having to type on another phone makes me cringe. I still look at this phone and am in awe of the design and beautifulness. No regrets on my purchase.
    11-18-11 08:17 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD