11-10-11 11:18 PM
44 12
tools
    I currently have the 8800 and the primary reason I held on to it this long is its keyboard (mostly used for email). I have big hands and I love the form factor. I have looked at all the subsequent devices and thought of upgrading to either the first torch or the 9700 however general negative comments on the torch (1st gen) and the new (narrow) form factor of the 9700 made me stay away.

I really like the torch (big screen, full keyboard) however I checked out the 9900 which I found to be very appealing with the old wide form factor and large(er) screen. I don't get the touch screen on such a small (relative to the torch) screen. I'm told it's effectively a scroll wheel.

I was going to go with the torch but am having second thoughts. What would you say to make me go with the 9900 over the torch?

Please don't take this as a trolling. My 8800 is cracked, the screen is scratched and I need a new phone. It's a free upgrade so help me make the decision asap.

Cheers
    I chose 9810 because I don't need to write too many / longer mails everyday. I have avarage size palms and coming from 8520, adjusting to 9810 keyboard was easy for me. The auto focus was essential for me as I often need to share snaps of products, displays and serial no's. But thats me.

If you use your phone mainly for emails and you have big hands, 9900 will be perfect for you. Its a amazing device with lovely keyboard.
    11-06-11 09:21 AM
    I agree that 9900 keyboard is nice in terms of its size having owned a 9000. Having many berry bar form factors, it was easy with slightly larger than average fingers to adapt easily to the 9810. The form factor that is best all depends upon which one meets your "overall" needs not just the keyboard. Since I am with ATT, NFC was a non-issue. I was conflicted with giving up the larger, higher resolution screen, both a virtual and physical keyboards and auto-focus camera.
    11-06-11 10:43 AM
    I am looking forward to trying out the 9900 that my company issuing me. Who knows...I may come back to the bar form factor. I have been a bit apprehensive about the bricked 9900. The bricking issue has been far less prevalent with the 9810.
    11-06-11 10:47 AM
    The 9930's keyboard and form factor were #1 to me!
    11-06-11 10:53 AM
    Those are all Good points but perhaps maybe he should know a little more like the fact that the battery Can be horrible. I said Can be, I didn't say Is horrible. There's different OS versions that give horrible and great battery life. Second, there's no Autofocus. if the OP doesn't mind The battery life or doesn't use his phone to take close up pics then the 9900 sounds great. Not hating, I would love to get the 9900 because of that Keyboard! I just wanted to inform the OP of those Other minor disadvantages.
    That particular item isn't really a factor, since the 8800 doesn't have a camera. Plus, depending on work requirements, the 9900 is available as a non-camera model, also.

As Wulf posted above, regarding the keyboard, if that is a major decision point, consider using the Bold's touchscreen as a bonus to a really great Qwerty device. The keyboard on a Torch is a bonus to a nice touchscreen device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 11-06-11 at 11:47 AM.
    Elite1 likes this.
    11-06-11 11:39 AM
    I agree that 9900 keyboard is nice in terms of its size having owned a 9000. Having many berry bar form factors, it was easy with slightly larger than average fingers to adapt easily to the 9810. The form factor that is best all depends upon which one meets your "overall" needs not just the keyboard. Since I am with ATT, NFC was a non-issue. I was conflicted with giving up the larger, higher resolution screen, both a virtual and physical keyboards and auto-focus camera.
    Hey JCP - long time, no talk!
    I just wanted to touch on a few things you mentioned.

Firstly, the 9900's keyboard is actually even larger (wider) than the 9000's. Not by much, of course.

Secondly, the 9900 and 9810 have identical screen resolution: 640x480 and 480x640, respectively. Yes, the 9810's have a physically larger screen at 3.2" diagonal vs the 9900's 2.8" diagonal.

And just to be fair, giving up the Torch's virtual keyboard is kind of moot going to the 9900 since its hardware keyboard is always exposed.
    In fact, if you prefer not sliding the Torch open, the 9900 will have more open screen space since none of it is taken up by a virtual keyboard.

Lastly, NFC is almost irrelevant today in North America. However that is going to change. Over the course of a couple years on a 9900, we'll see NFC a lot more prevalent. Just last week, the 99xx and 9350/60 became the first smartphones "certified" to work with MasterCard PayPass.
    11-06-11 01:41 PM
    NFC antenna apparently doesn't cause an issue because other carriers have left NFC enabled for months now. And Verizon, the carrier that had NFC disabled at launch, also enabled it later on with a new BB OS update.
    Exactly! To my knowledge, none of the Canadian carriers have disabled NFC.

don't get surprised if it turnes out that this has to do with carrier's wish to take part of the pie related to NFC access control, payment and transit.
    (This is a biiiiiiig pie everyone is trying to own part of it)
    That was my first thought too.
    11-06-11 01:47 PM
    Hey JCP - long time, no talk!
    I just wanted to touch on a few things you mentioned.

Firstly, the 9900's keyboard is actually even larger (wider) than the 9000's. Not by much, of course.

Secondly, the 9900 and 9810 have identical screen resolution: 640x480 and 480x640, respectively. Yes, the 9810's have a physically larger screen at 3.2" diagonal vs the 9900's 2.8" diagonal.

And just to be fair, giving up the Torch's virtual keyboard is kind of moot going to the 9900 since its hardware keyboard is always exposed.
    In fact, if you prefer not sliding the Torch open, the 9900 will have more open screen space since none of it is taken up by a virtual keyboard.

Lastly, NFC is almost irrelevant today in North America. However that is going to change. Over the course of a couple years on a 9900, we'll see NFC a lot more prevalent. Just last week, the 99xx and 9350/60 became the first smartphones "certified" to work with MasterCard PayPass.
    Having been exposed to many different keyboards on a number of different berried, the keyboard is not an overriding issue nor is having AF feature on the camera. Videos on the larger screen are much more vivid on the larger screen. I belive that the choice should be based on both hardware and software that best meets your practical, functional needs on an overall basis. As I said earlier, I was going to wait for the 9900 but got the 9810 after testing it in the store. Since I will be getting a 9900 for work, i look forward to a hands-on comparidon. I just hope it doesn't get bricked.
    11-06-11 01:57 PM
    1. Keyboard - better then the 9000 (really)
    2. Touchscreen and Keyboard together - it just works (pun intended)
    3. Everyone has an iphone - sit at table with your Berry and the other phones, chicks come up and ask what it is and touch it (you touch them later)
    4. Fast, efficient, awesome and slick.
    11-07-11 02:15 AM
    I tried out both phones today and decided to go for the 9900. Can't wait to get it. In the end the screen size difference is not that much and I came to the realization that the extra width will actually be more useful than the height of the torch. Also, I found the bottom lip of the torch got in the way when using the bottom row of the keyboard. This was a surprise as I had thought the bottom of the screen would be more of an issue when using the top keys. The camera is not a big concern but interestingly I was told by the Rogers rep that both are the same. When I asked him why only the torch has "auto focus" written next to the lens he said they are the same. My work rep said he has to hold it still but he can get sharp close up pics with his. As far as battery life goes, as long as it makes it through an 8-10 hour day I should be fine.
    Last edited by synmag; 11-07-11 at 10:35 PM. Reason: fix error
    11-07-11 10:34 PM
    Defiantly the keyboard and build over the Torch. I've had an iphone4 and switched back to BB. Love the iPhone was hard to give up the large screen.

So I was very intrigued by the Torch being I also had a S2 and iphone. Wanted the large screen it's great on the Torch. I tried one as soon as it came out, light weight, great feel in the hand. Typing on that thing was awful, definitely geared more toward multimedia than input. Great device still eying it just wish typing was better on it, just my opionion.

The Bold 9900 like everyone is raving about has a great keyboard, the best out there.
    Just depends how you use your device, I tend to want to be more productive with mine and manage Outlook well.
    11-07-11 11:54 PM
    I went from a Bold 9000 to a Torch 9800... and once the novelty of the touch screen had passed, I found it a bit frustrating.

The screen would rotate to landscape mode when I tilted the phone onto its side, which was great when I was doing it on purpose, but it was annoying when I didn't mean to!

The pop-out keyboard was a tad smaller than what I was used to on the 9000, a bit too small for me.

The on-screen keyboard was way too small for me, and I would rarely manage to correctly hit 3 or 4 keys in a row before having to delete a mis-type, and the delete key is right next to the enter key - so I mis-sent a large number of mis-typed unfinished text messages!

...so when the 9900 came out I jumped to get one - and I am very happy.

Yes, they can brick - I am on my 2nd one - so make sure you buy with a warranty and do regular backups!

The 9900 battery is somehow behaving itself very well since the last OS update, I am not sure if this is down to the latest OS itself - or to do with the local network provider who has undertaken some big upgrades... so maybe the 9900 is able to transmit using a lower power level.... either way, I am at 50% battery after a 12hour day - so that's great.

Go the 9900!
    11-08-11 01:34 AM
    Bold 9930 all the way. I had a Torch and the slider form factor got on my nerves after a few months. For some reason, that extra movement of having to slide it open became such a chore. The newness wore off I guess. *shrugs*

I love the 9930's keyboard. I pick it up and go straight to it. I shell out e-mails and texts on this thing like it's nothing. Of course, my text messaging usage pretty much doubled after I got this phone. Haha. What can I say, it's become more fun to type to people than to talk to them.

At first, I missed the screen size when I came to the Bold, but I quickly got over it.

Good luck on your choice.
    11-10-11 09:14 AM
    I went from a 9800 to a 9900.

Torch pluses: Camera and screen real estate. Touchscreen phone dialing was nice and was the only touchscreen keypad I have ever used and smiled about. On the smaller 9900 screen it might not make sense.

Torch minuses: Cramped keyboard. Not really a size thing. It's how the KB sits in a "dish."

Battery life, durability, and build quality are all comparable. Like Soo, the sliding was an annoyance for me, but not really a negative feature. So far I've found less to be irritated with on the 9900, but time will tell.
    11-10-11 09:37 AM
    To me 9900 is better. I like the form factor better and that keyboard, i am in love! I think its smaller and lighter than the torch. And no doubt touchscreen on both are super! So i think its a decision between af camera, form fqctor and the keyboard.
    11-10-11 09:39 AM
    I was a torch 9810 owner before buying my 9900 i've made my choice on staying with bold because is beatiful, best keyboard experience, the battery life of the torch 9810 it's pretty much the same of the bold 9900, believe me!!! I hate the little keyboard, i usually press several keys at one time, nothing like the bold 9900. The bold 9900 speeds is nice, the 9810 is much slower on response to the touch screen and make actions....the only thing i believe the torch 9810 is better than the bold is the auto focus camera....but 9900 take very nice pictures too....other thing the torch is a very heavy phone compare withe bold!!! The diference is huge when you feel both in your hands! So...for me bold 9900 is better, same battery life, i've used my torch for 2 months and believe it's the same battery life!, way better keyboard, run smoothly than the torch, NFC, less heavier, beatiful design and screen, better cases and accesories, tackpad light....the bad...no autofocus and bricking problems but i think earlier units is where the bricking problem is...mine is good so far...
    11-10-11 11:00 AM
    I was gonna get a 9900 but decided on torch. Fits my needs better. Auto focus cam, larger screen, bigger battery.

Also, the keyboard is nicely upgraded over the 9800.
    11-10-11 11:21 AM
    Does it still have the redonkulous lock button?
    11-10-11 11:11 PM
    if it's the 9900 v.s. 9800, go for the 9900.
    if it's the 9900 v.s. 9810, it's a matter of preference and it will depend on how you use your device.

both devices are great for productivity...so on the basis of screen size alone, i'd say the 9810 would be better for media consumption.
    however, the 9810 is thicker...and heavier.

so it depends on the balance how you will be using your new device.

different strokes for different folks...
    11-10-11 11:18 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD