It looks like 7.1 resolved the bricking/nuking/rebooting issues. Is this correct?

Are all apps now compatible with the 99xx? Amazon, Weatherbug, Fandango, BOA, etc?

Are there any major or minor bugs still present? What are they?

The 9930 is now in my price range but I don't want to leave the 9650 for a buggy phone where I have to side load apps.

Please be honest? I can wait til it is fixed if there are issues.

Thanks!
    02-12-12 07:43 AM
    looking for an answer too.
    i am following crackberry daily to see any news about solving the bricking issue, i want this device so much, but from where i come from the lowest price i can get it is about $750 and in most cases i have no warranty (only if i get it through my carrier, but than the price is close to $1000 with refund per month).
    never had issues with any other BB devices in the past, but on the other hand i never heard about such great numbers of bricking issues.
    02-12-12 07:52 AM
    I don't think the root cause of the bricking issue was ever correctly identified was it? Whether it was bad hardware or incompatible OS.

Edit: the bricking issue was largely over stated IMO. 5 months with the device and no bricking.
    02-12-12 07:52 AM
    I saw a lot of bricking/nuking threads. I don't see hardly any with folks ok 7.1.

If it's NOT resolved, I'll wait. Thanks!
    02-12-12 08:00 AM
    The only issue I have had with my first 9900 was a dodgy app, JVM error. I updated the OS & it was fixed.

On my second 9900 now and still no problems. I've found the later the OS the better the phone.

*with my second, recently when I reboot - the inital load up screen bar gets to 3/4's of the way and stops. A couple of minutes later it continues. Just before my homescreen shows, it displays the small clock then continues as normal.

Has anyone else had this ? Another dodgy app ?

No other problems though.
    Last edited by Ben1232; 02-12-12 at 08:06 AM.
    02-12-12 08:03 AM
    Cool, thanks for that info. Little glitches like the screen loading and clock I don't mind.

Any word on app compatibility. Is that all over with?

I have to say, getting the 9650 after it's been out a few years made a big difference for me. I remember all the bugs it had at first.

I'm thinking the longer I wait to get the 9930, the more stable it will be.

Battery life better or worse than on launch week?
    02-12-12 08:13 AM
    I never had any issues with this phone either with OS 7.0 Telus stock OR OS 7.1 I have right now. I think the bricking issue is caused by a hardware issue like RAM failing (bad RAM) and RIM is trying to fix it by releasing OS updates that try to avoid bad RAM usage by some software code. I don't know what RIM is doing, I am just speculating.

Anyway, I never had bricking issues and I always charge overnight (some suggested that may be the bricking is caused by overnight charge). It's 7:00 AM on Sunday morning here in Calgary and my phone is still hooked to the power

I brought this phone the two days after it was officially released in Canada (it took two days to get to Calgary). However, during the first week, I had to exchange my phone about 3 time for hardware issues and this is my third phone. (or the 4th one because I don't remember exactly how many times I had to exchange during the fist week lol)

Reasons for exchange during the first week: Light bleeding from the side, the touch pad is not responding, etc.
    But this is a good phone and no issues at all.
    tomgnc likes this.
    02-12-12 08:13 AM
    I've had my phone since November and its never bricked. I have Fandango on it since day 1 with no issues. I don't use the amazon app and have berryweather on it with no issues to although today I just found out it eet my weather anymore when I want to so I'll bring that up in the forums later.
    02-12-12 08:17 AM
    Just a side note on a complain that most people make on the battery.

I get about 2.5-3.9% per hour discharge rate with, Facebook (no auto feed update), Twitter, BerryWeather(every 30 min auto update with wallpaper), SocialFeed, 30 min of Internet usage, 10 emails, 300+ SMS/BBM, etc.

The ONLY time I see a huge drop in battery is wifi hotspot... It drains the battery at close to 8% per hour. Which we can't blame RIM. When I first turn on the wifi hotspot, it came up with a pop up message saying that the battery will drain faster when hotspot is on.

I have no idea why so many people complain about the battery. May be they need a super battery from the future with nuclear power?
    wolfee48 likes this.
    02-12-12 08:18 AM
    I've had mine since September. Still on stock 7.0 os and it runs flawless. Great battery life. I am a bit hesitant to upgrade to 7.1 since my device runs so well.

I highly recommend this device if you are still on an earlier model.
    02-12-12 08:24 AM
    Good insights, thanks a lot!

Amazon app compatible? I use that app a lot!
    02-12-12 08:31 AM
    i have my phone since september the 14th and i don't have real problems though.
    when i was on the stock os .296 it did factory wiped while i was asleep.
    it was plugged in the charge when that happend, and some random reboots.
    after that i just begun playing with os that were available, some didn't worked out.
    i'm on .585/.540 and i won't be changing it anytime soon i guess.
    since i have good battery life now and i don't really need the options of .205 right now.
    well maybe later but not right now.
    chrisyy you would love the 99xx for sure there is no doubt about it.
    but i can't help you to get a good one, but i really hope it works out for you.
    02-12-12 08:46 AM
    With the apps that I use I haven't had any compatibily problems.

BTW my first 9900 broke due to water damage. Just need to buy the isopropyl alcohol then I can have a go at bringing it back to life.

I'll have one for each hand then
    02-12-12 08:47 AM
    ahww sad to hear but good to hear it didn't stop you buying another 9900 haha.
    how did water get on your 9900 accidently? would be lovely when you can bring it back,
    to life and then having two 9900 by your side.
    02-12-12 08:58 AM
    I've had the 9930 since it launched, no issues with bricking. I usually charge my device nightly so reports seem to be people that get down to red (less then 10%) and don't charge.

Charge wise I had always gotten a solid day out of the device, I average 3-400 emails a day, a handful of BBM / TXT with some internet uage thrown in. I have BeWeather running hourly as well the News app polling RSS feeds every 30 mins. So getting 6-8 hours a nice with all that going on.

App wise most of the major ones are present now (that were on Blackberry). Check AppWorld online for specfic ones but I saw BOA and Fandango

The 9650 was my last device (used it for almost 2 years). The 9930 is a much nicer device, build quality, screen resolution, browser improvements etc. If the screen as 3.2 it would be the perfect Blackberry IMO. 2.8" is just a tad smaller to use for touch.
    02-12-12 09:19 AM
    Bought my phone (9900 mexico 5) from rogers in november, phone bricked on day 3 after draining and charging overnight with leaked .540 firmware. Replaced it with a mexico 4 unit which has been working like a charm since, even after draining and charging overnight. Currently running 7.1.0.205 with no issues.
    02-12-12 09:22 AM
    ahww sad to hear but good to hear it didn't stop you buying another 9900 haha.
    how did water get on your 9900 accidently? would be lovely when you can bring it back,
    to life and then having two 9900 by your side.

I came back from the pub inebriated just before xmas. Had water and must have knocked it over during sleep.

I went cold turkey all over xmas whilst eating err cold turkey without a Blackberry. I was gonna just fix the first but didn't want to wait so got my second.

I've read bits & watched all sorts of water damged YT vids. My battery was in it all night. I didn't see til morning so I'm not all that confident that it will work again. All the YT vids say is if you spill water on it, take the battery out straight away. I still have to try though.
    02-12-12 09:28 AM
    I'm just waiting for AT&T to ship with the new OS. I hate having to update and sync with a computer. Drives me crazy.
    02-12-12 11:24 AM
    I've had mine since last September or so, and have had absolutely no problems... I was unaware of any problems until I joined this forum lol
    02-12-12 02:26 PM
    i have a 9900 my wife has 9900 several friends have both 9900 and 9930 and not one of them have reported any bricking issues.

i believe it was on a certain build range. 7.1 has been great

certain folks have blown the bricking way out of proportion, making you believe every 9900 had the issue which is not the case
    02-12-12 02:48 PM
    Lol. I'm going to wait until Chrisy upgrades before I do. If she gives it good review, then I will go and buy it immediately afterword.
    02-12-12 03:42 PM
    Got my 9930 on Thursday and immediately upgraded to OS 7.1. So far so good but only one minor problem. The battery idicator showed a complete charge with only a 70% charge.
    02-12-12 04:15 PM
    Chrisy,

I have been using the 9930 on Verizon for quite a while now, up graded to the latest software release 7.1.0.163 and it has worked flawlessly! I have never had it freeze-up, I've never pulled the battery, and the battery life has been acceptable for my usage.

Hope your steered in the right direction, and your happy with the device you choose to use!

Matt
    02-12-12 05:39 PM
    Thanks for all the reports guys!
    02-12-12 06:05 PM
    Lol. I'm going to wait until Chrisy upgrades before I do. If she gives it good review, then I will go and buy it immediately afterword.
    Lol! And here I was going to wait until you got one and gave the ok!

I am honest with my posts about the device I use. Whether it's Android, iPhone or BlackBerry. I don't have brand loyalty but I don't think I nitpick over small things either.

I can accept a fair amount of small bugs and glitches. With my 9630 there were small annoyances that I could live with. However, there were major software issues that turned me off to BlackBerry and that's why I went Android for a while.

What I'm starting to think is that being an early adopter is not for me AT ALL.

I'd much prefer to wait a year to 18 months after the device is released so all the major bugs are resolved and most of the minor.

For example I am using a 2 year old 9650 and it has been very stable so far. No reboots, nuking, app errors. And that's because by this time they've been worked out.

I'd like to see the 9930 get one more OS update before I get one. It hasn't been out a year yet, right?

But, if a device has major faults, I don't want it. I don't need the stress over a phone!
    02-12-12 06:11 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD