What does rim have to do to stay a live? Well its very simple my friends. RIM NEEDS to support the developers. Its the developers who make the product. Look at Apple for example, they support their developers more then any other firm out there, and also marketing. RIM has gotten very lazy on both ends. It's sad to see shares drop 20%.
    09-16-11 01:52 PM
    RIM is suffering from very low corporate sales which will not increase for a couple of years. They turned to the consumers who have more smart phone choices than ever. RIM has never been an innovator and will not be able to keep up with Android or Apple.

Playbook was like another nail in their coffin. RIM thinks that Playbook sales will re-ignite with a software update that brings features the device should have had when it was introduced.

It IS sad!
    09-16-11 02:03 PM
    This economy has a lot to do with the low sales and I think the trend will continue.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-16-11 02:04 PM
    Ageed, marketing! I have yet to see a 9900 ad on TV. The best BB to date and no TV ads(that I have seen). I think if Apple put their logo on the Playbook, they would of sold millions and it would have gotten rave reviews. One thing BB has to learn from Apple, MARKETING!!!
    poloandpearls likes this.
    09-16-11 02:39 PM
    RIM is suffering from very low corporate sales which will not increase for a couple of years. They turned to the consumers who have more smart phone choices than ever. RIM has never been an innovator and will not be able to keep up with Android or Apple.

Playbook was like another nail in their coffin. RIM thinks that Playbook sales will re-ignite with a software update that brings features the device should have had when it was introduced.

It IS sad!
    Yes unfortunately relying on corporate spending and upgrades in a time of such economic uncertainty is a problem.
    09-16-11 03:00 PM
    This has nothing to do with the 9900/9930...

You can post this in the Playbook forum since that's the new rant/rave section for some reason...
    09-16-11 03:09 PM
    Marketing works best as producing awareness and/or reinforcement of the brand IF you have your ducks in a row and are ready to meet the buyers' expectations. Otherwise you are spending a lot of $$ to disappoint consumers if you are not very careful, generating negative sentiment. I mean what would be the most honest ads from RIM?

Get a BlackBerry because:

1. It's the best messaging phone $$ can buy
    2. Great battery life
    3. Awesome phys. QWERTY keyboard
    4. Durable
    ... and so on using the best bullet points you can find on this site.

The problem with that as a message is it is a bit boring compared to what the "other guys" are advertising. Apple basically pushes the fact that apps are aplenty. So whatever you wanna do, you can. A grander message. "Possibilities are endless", that type of thing.

RIM's message (if telling the truth), is more utilitarian in its appeal. Consumers are not into that unless they are deciding which model of refrigerator to buy. Heh.

I am saying, before spending ad $$ and making lots of claims, RIM needs devices that have lots more apps selection. Then they can say "Get all the apps you are used to AND with good battery life, a real keyboard... blah blah...

In the case of reinforcement, you see that from Apple as well, after the products are selling well.

I think the PlayBook ads are a good example of how ad $$ can be spent and produce nothing.

So much as I'd like to see great ads and more from RIM, they need sexier devices and apps.
    09-16-11 03:14 PM
    This has nothing to do with the 9900/9930...

You can post this in the Playbook forum since that's the new rant/rave section for some reason...
    Your are correct, sorry about that. Post has been deleted. Lost track of what forum I was in.
    09-16-11 03:20 PM
    ...A grander message. "Possibilities are endless", that type of thing.
    How about this message: "This isn't your Dad's Blackberry." The new Bold is in my view a giant leap beyond the old Tour I had.
    09-16-11 03:26 PM
    RIM needs to focus on their phones and abandon everything else. They became industry leaders because of their phones. They need to get back to basics.
    09-16-11 03:47 PM
    How about this message: "This isn't your Dad's Blackberry." The new Bold is in my view a giant leap beyond the old Tour I had.
    Yes it is. I went from a Tour to (briefly) a Curve 3G and then the 9930. Huge difference.

I would be more in favor of this ad:

NetFlix... check
    Skype... check
    Kindle... check
    (add whatever apps are must haves for 95% of the consumers)

Then cut to...
    "What if you can have all your apps, and a REAL keyboard, 2 day battery life, and get more data out of your plan as well?" You can. BlackBerry.

Cheesy sounding. But you get my point.

But without the apps, RIM is stuck as far as going head to head for the consumer using ads.
    09-16-11 03:54 PM
    Yes it is. I went from a Tour to (briefly) a Curve 3G and then the 9930. Huge difference.

I would be more in favor of this ad:

NetFlix... check
    Skype... check
    Kindle... check
    (add whatever apps are must haves for 95% of the consumers)

Then cut to...
    "What if you can have all your apps, and a REAL keyboard, 2 day battery life, and get more data out of your plan as well?" You can. BlackBerry.

Cheesy sounding. But you get my point.

But without the apps, RIM is stuck as far as going head to head for the consumer using ads.

Sounds awesome! Are you in marketing ?
    09-16-11 05:55 PM
    Sounds awesome! Are you in marketing ?

I am a jack of all trades in that I help to operate a retail business and do everything from sysadmin/network admin roles to marketing for our online store. So, yes. I have had to learn the hard way how to write a message that communicates to buyers.. at least to the best of my ability.

09-16-11 09:38 PM
    Yes unfortunately relying on corporate spending and upgrades in a time of such economic uncertainty is a problem.
    Yes... It's one of those weird recessions that only affect some companies.

Don't kid yourself, even if it was boom times, it wouldn't help RIM all that much since corporations are increasingly switching to iOS and Android. The iPad is the tablet of choice for the corporate world for whatever reason.

And marketing by itself can't help a company either. Just advertising without a compelling story or feature to sell doesn't move any units. Just look at... Well RIM actually! They had plenty of ads featuring the Playbook. (FLASH! Ahh-ahhhh!) Unfortunately they chose to showcase a feature that few people understand, and even fewer people care about...

(Speaking of, I'd like to know who signed off on that campaign. Considering that everybody in the industry snickered at that ad, and how awful it was, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Mike himself. That guy is a perfect example of why engineers should never run companies...)
    09-16-11 10:33 PM
    That guy is a perfect example of why engineers should never run companies...)

Huh? Intel Corp.

09-17-11 12:22 AM
    Just like i said in another post.. Promotion!!

same way VZW made Droid popular.. RIM needs to do the same thing.. flood tv channels with it. ads on google, etc etc

i think RIM need to let alone the business side and focus on the people who are really buying these devices and see what they want..

Something like what HTC does in it lil youtube videos about "making sense... you"
    09-17-11 02:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD