Just noticed a thin metal strip glued/taped on the inside of the battery door of my 9900. it seems to connect to the unit via some metal prongs near the top of the battery. What is this for?
    10-31-11 02:44 PM
    NFC antenna :-)
    10-31-11 02:49 PM
    NFC antenna :-)
    +1.

It is NFC antenna and it can be used for payment (soon), communication between to BBs (when NFC Peer2Peer is released) and for reading tags.

Click on the NFCLauncher in my signature to see a short movie clip (NFCLauncher) showing what NFC can do.
    10-31-11 02:57 PM
    AWESOME thanks! Now all I need to do is find places in Canada that I can use this feature on. LOL
    10-31-11 03:00 PM
    This is the thread about how some people using NFC:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...as-all-659273/
    10-31-11 03:06 PM
    OMG soooo cool. Where can I get these tags? Im guessing ebay?
    10-31-11 03:15 PM
    OMG soooo cool. Where can I get these tags? Im guessing ebay?
    For this you need to get Mifare Ultralight tags.

You can ask the guys on the thread below. Some of the people on that thread are in Canada and some of them even ordered tags together to share the shipping fee.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...uncher-658655/
    10-31-11 03:34 PM
    it's something RIM put there to justify the premium price they charge for the Bold, bu thave no apps to work with it. LAME!
    11-01-11 10:10 AM
    +1.

It is NFC antenna and it can be used for payment (soon), communication between to BBs (when NFC Peer2Peer is released) and for reading tags.

Click on the NFCLauncher in my signature to see a short movie clip (NFCLauncher) showing what NFC can do.
    Then my question is: I have read that by using the cover that comes with the over-sized extended battery you are giving up NFC. But I have one of those batteries and the cover that came with it has the same strip and contacts. So is it usable for NFC (assuming we ever get to use it)?
    11-01-11 01:13 PM
    Then my question is: I have read that by using the cover that comes with the over-sized extended battery you are giving up NFC. But I have one of those batteries and the cover that came with it has the same strip and contacts. So is it usable for NFC (assuming we ever get to use it)?
    Assuming that the NFC antenna on that cover has similar characteristics as the original RIM NFC antenna (technically, it should have the same impedance as the original antenna).

Otherwise, the NFC performance could be reduced to a point where your BB can't emit enough power to power up a NFC tag (NFC tags get their power from the readers).
    11-01-11 01:32 PM
    Thank you.
    11-01-11 01:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD