Compared to the Torch 9810 which has a bigger screen and similar specs I think? Correct me if I'm wrong. But the 9810 is only $50 off a 2 year contract and the 9900 is $200. What can the bold do that the torch can't?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-11 06:26 AM
    Compared to the Torch 9810 which has a bigger screen and similar specs I think? Correct me if I'm wrong. But the 9810 is only $50 off a 2 year contract and the 9900 is $200. What can the bold do that the torch can't?

From what I've heard from BlackBerry employees It's basically about RIM trying to cover the carrier's subsidy prices and the BIS prices. For a company that's taken a lot of hits, for RIM to "overcharge" on the Bold 9900/9930 by $50.00 higher than thier compeditors simply just to make a bigger profit, doesn't seem too smart.
    10-22-11 06:41 AM
    I thought it has something to do with some sort of universal international use, some sort of built in feature. Not sure, but thats what I have heard. I have heard it works better when travelling to several different countries than any other Blackberry? Not sure if thats 100% accurate and I don't travel that much to know, but its what I have heard...
    10-22-11 06:59 AM
    The bold has always been Blackberries flagship device, hence the higher price. Although the torch 9810 is a better device IMO(better camera, larger screen, portrait as well as landscape mode, and same internal specs minus nfs(which is useless at this point)), people are willing to pay more for less phone, then why not?

Although, carrier subsidies aside, I believe both are the same price off contract.
    Last edited by homer1475; 10-22-11 at 07:34 AM.
    10-22-11 07:10 AM
    That's a great question. Why not $100 for each? I'm glad though and snapped up the 9810 without hesitation.
    10-22-11 07:23 AM
    I think it's because they expect businesses to buy them and give them to the high powered executives. The price is way too high compared to Android and iPhone, but it's not going to stop me from buying one.

Joe
    10-22-11 07:26 AM
    Used materials are maybe different (steel on the outside, backdoor is fiberglass, ...), NFC
    skyrider007 and js8229 like this.
    10-22-11 09:39 AM
    Definitely higher quality materials.
    10-22-11 10:16 AM
    Why is Vertu so expensive? They use higher quality materials AND more importantly its the brand. For RIM the Curve is the Levi's, the Torch is Banana Republic and Bold is A&F. Its about the name and also because RIM's flagship device is the Bold. Also higher quality materials count in

Wretch 12 likes this.
    10-22-11 11:46 AM
    I've wondered the same. I think it's because the Bold is like their trademark...I've always liked the style of the bolds..but I'm glad I chose the 9810..it's better with the bigger screen, and focus on cam imo.
    10-22-11 02:32 PM
    At my work, we are on a Verizon contract, and they just ordered about 50 new 9930's. Everyone had 9650's previously.
    10-22-11 02:34 PM
    To a point it is the materials used, but in the end it costs more simply because the carriers feel they can get away with it because people have demonstrated they will pay that much for a flagship bold product. It has nothing to do with RIM as they have no influence on what carriers set for contract prices, or full retail prices for that matter.

CS
    10-22-11 11:00 PM
    To a point it is the materials used, but in the end it costs more simply because the carriers feel they can get away with it because people have demonstrated they will pay that much for a flagship bold product. It has nothing to do with RIM as they have no influence on what carriers set for contract prices, or full retail prices for that matter.

CS
    Agreed and not agreed. RIM does have a choice on pricing. Its their flagship model anyway. Also your right. Carriers are greedy.

10-22-11 11:13 PM
    I thnk it might be due to R&D. You gotta keep that in mind. The Torch 9810 had the same design from 9800. It looks exactly the same.

The Bold has NFC, a NICE keyboard (which I'm sure had a lot of engineering to it), etc.

You have to look at the cost of developing 9900 vs cost of developing 9810 (not 9800). There wasn't much to do for the 9810 just put in better specs, and frame.
    10-22-11 11:31 PM
    At my work, we are on a Verizon contract, and they just ordered about 50 new 9930's. Everyone had 9650's previously.
    I stand by wishing my company will do the same. Think they already have but since I got my 9650 only in July I'm not holding any hope i'll get one. (unless the 9650 falls in the toilet) nah, i'd never.......
    10-23-11 05:51 AM
    I stand by wishing my company will do the same. Think they already have but since I got my 9650 only in July I'm not holding any hope i'll get one. (unless the 9650 falls in the toilet) nah, i'd never.......
    lolz. Don't you guys have the option to buy your own device and then the IT department fixes them up for you?
    10-23-11 06:06 AM
    Originally they were the same price. A friend at sprint said they were offering it to them for the $50 before they did to the public and that usually means they are not selling well. I think they dropped the price to try to boost sales #'s.

I wish ppl would stop buying the bold so I can get it for cheap $ lol

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk
    10-23-11 08:14 AM
    Agreed and not agreed. RIM does have a choice on pricing. Its their flagship model anyway. Also your right. Carriers are greedy.

RIM only chooses what they charge the Carriers, they can't fix retails prices, that is actually illegal :-/ I have no idea what the cost is to manufacture a 9900 vs a 9810, but guaranteed it is not as steep as the difference in contract prices between the two.

CS
    10-23-11 01:15 PM
    I wish RIM would sell me a 99xx for the price of manufacture, or a little more, like they do the carriers. I'd buy one today.
    10-23-11 03:53 PM
    You are also paying for R&D to integrate NFC, Liquid Graphics, Magnetometer, Hot Spot (which carriers have yet to enable) into an OS that would be new but still familiar to Blackberry users and many other features that were not previously available on BB.

10-23-11 08:01 PM
    Well the bold is quite a bit prettier. Nicer keyboard too.
    10-23-11 08:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD