I'm a newbie to keyboard Blackberry phones. I just got my Q10 (after having had a Z10 and many android/Windows Phones). I immediately noticed an increase in my ability and willingness to type emails and other stuff. I never really used my phone much for browsing/games, so it seems a 'work first' phone like the Q10 really matches my needs.

I never used a 'legacy' Blackberry device, but I keep hearing about how they were perfect for business communication. I'm considering buying a Bold 9900 to try it out.

I'm aware of most of the areas where the Q10 seems to outperform the 9900 (screen size, resolution, memory, battery, etc.). However, I'm a little unclear about where the 9900 would have advantages over the Q10. I can imagine that the toolbelt would be nice to have, as I don't really like touching the screen if I don't have to. So, can someone describe the areas where the 9900 offers a better experience than the Q10?

I'm not trying to start a flame war here. I'm just asking for my own edification. Please don't post here if your sole purpose is to tell me to stick with BB 10 - I'm already committed to that platform. I'm just curious about the 9900.
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-16-14 06:10 AM
    BBOS has customization options that BB10 doesn't have (yet). The trackpad enables user to navigate through text and menus faster than touchscreens. The keyboard on the 9900 wasn't straight like the Q10's. Convenience could be programmed for an action that suited the user like lock the phone with a password on press. The buttons on the button also makes one fast and more efficient.

I'm sure there are a lot of points that I haven't touched but I know lots more will elaborate!

Edit: BBOS has BIS, which is more secure and compressed data, so lower data costs as well!

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 06:28 AM
    Thanks H4zN, I appreciate your input.

Your post agrees with the impression I'm getting reading other posts here - the 9900/BBOS7 seems to be a combination that 'power users' were able to customize to get the best out of. I can imagine why they may be dissatisfied with the BB10 devices, if they weren't able to customize them similarly.

I'm a tinkerer, so given that the 9900 prices have fallen like a stone, I'll probably have to try one.......just for variety. If I like the keyboard more, I may even stick with it.

EDIT: The BIS thing: if I already have a phone data plan, do I need still BIS to get the best out of the phone? I understand that BIS is cheaper, but I switch phones regularly, so I'm not going to drop my plan (shared with my family anyway).
    09-16-14 06:37 AM
    I am thinking if you like your Q you would really like the upcoming Classic bigger screen and faster with tool belt but the 9900 was the Best of the Best .
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-16-14 07:04 AM
    Thanks H4zN, I appreciate your input.

Your post agrees with the impression I'm getting reading other posts here - the 9900/BBOS7 seems to be a combination that 'power users' were able to customize to get the best out of. I can imagine why they may be dissatisfied with the BB10 devices, if they weren't able to customize them similarly.

I'm a tinkerer, so given that the 9900 prices have fallen like a stone, I'll probably have to try one.......just for variety. If I like the keyboard more, I may even stick with it.

EDIT: The BIS thing: if I already have a phone data plan, do I need still BIS to get the best out of the phone? I understand that BIS is cheaper, but I switch phones regularly, so I'm not going to drop my plan (shared with my family anyway).
    You may be able to use a BlackBerry add-on in addition to your current data plan. Consult your carrier first. If that can be done, you can switch your phones as you want as data plan with the BlackBerry add-on also works on normal phones. But those phones couldn't take advantage of the add-on (no BIS).
    09-16-14 07:23 AM
    Yep, I fully intend to buy the Classic. I always thought that the Z10/Q10 were underpowered, and the new phones will probably take care of most of that.

Given that I may have to add on BIS to get the full 9900 experience, I may have to reconsider buying one. Of course, I could still use one without BIS added.
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-16-14 07:34 AM
    I have had the Q10 and now I am back to a 9930. I am really enjoying the 9930 again and don't think I will change unless the new classic is all it says it is. I think I might buy a couple more 9930's for backup lol
    09-16-14 08:35 AM
    I'm a newbie to keyboard Blackberry phones. I just got my Q10 (after having had a Z10 and many android/Windows Phones). I immediately noticed an increase in my ability and willingness to type emails and other stuff. I never really used my phone much for browsing/games, so it seems a 'work first' phone like the Q10 really matches my needs.

I never used a 'legacy' Blackberry device, but I keep hearing about how they were perfect for business communication. I'm considering buying a Bold 9900 to try it out.

I'm aware of most of the areas where the Q10 seems to outperform the 9900 (screen size, resolution, memory, battery, etc.). However, I'm a little unclear about where the 9900 would have advantages over the Q10. I can imagine that the toolbelt would be nice to have, as I don't really like touching the screen if I don't have to. So, can someone describe the areas where the 9900 offers a better experience than the Q10?

I'm not trying to start a flame war here. I'm just asking for my own edification. Please don't post here if your sole purpose is to tell me to stick with BB 10 - I'm already committed to that platform. I'm just curious about the 9900.
    lol so you'v been used to Android, Apple, etc and tried BB10 with the Q10?

Go ahead and get a used 9900 - it's pretty good for what it was, and is, but I doubt you'll be able to use it as your sole mobile device.

The trackpad allows for a more accurate "feeling" of cursor placement, but I can't say personally that it's faster than how BB10 implements cursor placement - it's pretty darn fast to just tap on the location of choice on screen, than having to scroll to it.

If you've gotten "used to" tapping on the text, then holding it for a second to select the word, a little longer for the whole line, then longer still to go and select entire paragraphs and the whole page, you'll find yourself getting a little confused on the 9900 every time you need to use the trackpad to select text - obviously due to muscle memory.

Holding the shift key and then moving the selection "circle" is also pretty darn speedy and accurate.

Both ways are pretty accurate and fast once you become very accustomed to them.

The keyboard short-cuts are indeed quite good, fun, and is a nice feature - but again, if you're used to apple, android, and bb10, you'll find that the shortcuts, while nice, don't actually save you that much time - what it does provide is a certain "feeling", aside from the obvious tactile feedback, that you're somehow being more efficient when really - pressing B to open browser isn't that much faster than pressing the browser icon on the the screen, it's a nice feeling - that's all it is.

Maybe I can say all this because even though blackberries were my first smartphones - i never even knew about these customization options and shortcuts. Thus BB10 was seen by me as mile and miles ahead of os7.1

There are enough users that swear by os7.1 that got me to re-visit and re-discover the 9900 though, and i use it as my main phone now, but if I can only have one device (no 2nd phone, no tablet, etc), the 9900 cannot be it.

Also you might hear people say the "ergonomic" keyboard of the old berries, is "better" but I find the opposite to be true - the new straight design works better for me. Only time I felt the 9900 keyboard was better was my first minutes of typing on the Q10 after having used the 9900 for 2 years (not being used to it). There was an article somewhere that basically revealed BlackBerry did a lot of tests and concluded the straight design was better. But - it does come down to personal preference - I do fine with the 9900's keyboard but do prefer the Q10's.
    Last edited by evodevo69; 09-25-14 at 11:17 PM.
    andy957 and kbz1960 like this.
    09-25-14 10:39 PM
    9900 - toolbelt and keyboard shortcuts

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 11:19 PM
    A 9900 with the latest BL Hybrid, all macroed out with a few select apps (MyHotKeys, ShortcutMe, Wifi Manager, etc) suits my needs better than a Q. & I find the 9900 a better looking phone.

ѕєηт �яσм му вяαιη νια νυℓ�αη мιη∂мєℓ∂�
    rayporsche likes this.
    09-26-14 03:57 AM
    I love the Bold 9930! I have used the Q10 and Z10. Both of these are great phones but I like the 9930 the best. Its easy to use, it does everything I need it to do. Keyboard, shortcuts, email, it also has some great fitness apps and sports apps. The 9930 has been the best phone I have owned. I am looking forward to the release of the Blackberry Classic! Mr Chen has done a great job turning this company around.
    09-27-14 04:33 AM
    A 9900 with the latest BL Hybrid, all macroed out with a few select apps (MyHotKeys, ShortcutMe, Wifi Manager, etc) suits my needs better than a Q. & I find the 9900 a better looking phone.

Could I get these Terms explained to me?

BL Hybrid

'macroed out'

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 01:43 PM
    BL Hybrid = Berrylicious Hybrid OS, a mix of latest & old modules with an aim to provide a better BBOS. More info can be found in the hybrid section of the forum.

Macroed out = To use macros to program certain system and app functons and tasks, e.g. To open & start a section of the options just by using a few programmed key presses.

Dewwey likes this.
    09-30-14 06:44 PM
    Well, I got a great deal on a 9900, and picked it up.

It is a bit of a challenge to get used to this phone/OS. However, I quickly found stuff I liked about it (and some stuff I didn't care for).

As evodevo69 mentioned, the interface is so different from the other phones I have (or have used) that it was a bit of a shock. Still, I quickly adapted and I really like using it. The battery life on my (used) phone is a little poor, though.

Luckily, AT&T allows me free BIS access with my data plan, so everything works.

I'm certainly not using it like a power user yet. There's a lot to learn.
    10-02-14 09:08 PM
    Trackpad end of story

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.1052
    10-02-14 09:22 PM
    I will say, using the 9900 at this point in time has been a better experience than the Q10 when i had it just for the fact that I can repair this thing for next to nothing. New keyboard/nav keys: $4. new battery $9. you can keep this thing running for next to nothing.

between that and the OS being more suited for a "get things done" way of life, I've been using the 9900 over the Q10 almost daily.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    iRetired likes this.
    10-03-14 02:39 AM
    Well, I got a great deal on a 9900, and picked it up.

It is a bit of a challenge to get used to this phone/OS. However, I quickly found stuff I liked about it (and some stuff I didn't care for).

As evodevo69 mentioned, the interface is so different from the other phones I have (or have used) that it was a bit of a shock. Still, I quickly adapted and I really like using it. The battery life on my (used) phone is a little poor, though.

Luckily, AT&T allows me free BIS access with my data plan, so everything works.

I'm certainly not using it like a power user yet. There's a lot to learn.
    hello
    How poor would you say?
    10-03-14 04:31 AM
    hello
    How poor would you say?
    I can make it through the workday with minimal usage - a few emails, messages and calls. If I try to listen to music, etc. the battery just dies.

And if it freezes and requires a battery pull, then I lose about 20% of the battery at a go. Also, it dies when it shows about 30% remaining.

I'm probably going to have to get a new battery or two.
    10-03-14 06:30 AM
    I can make it through the workday with minimal usage - a few emails, messages and calls. If I try to listen to music, etc. the battery just dies.

And if it freezes and requires a battery pull, then I lose about 20% of the battery at a go. Also, it dies when it shows about 30% remaining.

I would definitely get a new battery. they are only $6-9 on amazon and I've already went ahead and got a couple. Still looking for some battery packs that could charge the extra batteries while they aren't being used.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-03-14 07:54 AM

just like the 9900 I had. When I had to do a battery pull, I was so surprised (and pissed off) to see that it had lost 20 or 30% or more... Can't use a phone like that
    10-03-14 10:00 AM
    Yep, I fully intend to buy the Classic. I always thought that the Z10/Q10 were underpowered, and the new phones will probably take care of most of that.

Given that I may have to add on BIS to get the full 9900 experience, I may have to reconsider buying one. Of course, I could still use one without BIS added.
    I have a Q5 as my daily driver and do own a 9900 which I really love the look and feel of. I would really like to be able to swap SIM cards once in a while to enjoy BBOS but unfortunately my current carrier does not support BIS. I will never get rid of my 9900.
    10-03-14 02:47 PM
    I have a Q5 as my daily driver and do own a 9900 which I really love the look and feel of. I would really like to be able to swap SIM cards once in a while to enjoy BBOS but unfortunately my current carrier does not support BIS. I will never get rid of my 9900.
    You should still be able to use your 9900 on wifi as long as you turn off your Q5. BBM will ask you to sign in and there will be a conflict if both devices are on at the same time. At least, that's what I encounter with my Q10 and 9900 if both are on at the same time.
    10-03-14 06:31 PM
    With the 9900, when you enter birthdays in contacts, it is actually entered in the calendar.

The trackpad is way faster to move the cursor and better at word selection.

The back button is useful. i.e. in the Q10, if you open the wrong file in a folder, you have to start ALL OVER again instead of going back one step! Very annoying.

The browser on the 9900 gave you the option to save files onto the device, more so than the Q10.

I prefer the keyboard on the 9900.

Q10 & 9900 on Bell Mobility
    10-03-14 10:08 PM
    Oh forgot, you can create shortcuts to specific folders. i.e. I have an MP3 folder that I can place anywhere. Can't do that on the Q.

Q10 & 9900 on Bell Mobility
    10-03-14 11:11 PM
    I loaded the latest BL hybrid onto the phone, and that seems to have helped it along a bit. I think things are a little snappier (especially the browser).

Battery life still isn't good, but that may be because the battery is older. I'll just buy a new one.

I do love the keyboard on this thing. I seem to be able to type more accurately on it than I can on the Q10. Maybe it's the curved keyboard that helps.

BBM doesn't work over wifi....I have to keep mobile data on. This is not a problem, as I don't have any android apps that may use data in the background much.

Basically, this does everything I could ask for in a phone. I do wish it had a bit more oomph, as it does slow down now and then. The only issue I have with using it all the time is that the shared shopping list app that we use in my family is not available for it. It's amazing how you rely on these little things these days.
    10-04-14 06:31 AM
48 12