Can someone explain what the main differences are between the BB Bold series and the Curve Series?

thanx
    05-19-11 10:05 AM
    Bold = High-end
    Curve = Low-end

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    darckmate likes this.
    05-19-11 10:17 AM
    Bold = High-end
    Curve = Low-end

Wow, we agree! look at us Philly but i must say the two stand out Bolds & Curve are(where) the Bold 9000 & Curve 8330. I've kept my Curve 8330 for almost 2yrs and passed last year on the Bold 9650 (which is a wonderful device, just IMO, not enough for me to re-sign a 2yr contract with Sprint, I hoped within 6-8 months, Blackberry was going to come out with a better device) Like the upcoming BB devices, the Bold will be 1.2GHZ processor, with the Curves being 800mhz processor. So i'd assume the Bold 9900/9930 will upgrade price US $199.99 & the new Curves $99.99.
    05-19-11 10:53 AM
    Other than the hardware specs, the key difference is the keyboard (see what I did there?). The Curve has its "clicky" keyboard with separated buttons (but is actually one piece underneath). The Bold keyboard is more compressed with no space between any of the keys. I have some friends that swear by the Curve keyboard, while others cannot do without the Bold keyboard.

05-19-11 11:15 AM
    hehe, yeah Masahiro I saw what you did there.

If i understand, they are practically the same except better keyboar (per say) and faster processor on the Bold.

As the new BB's are coming soon, I just wondered what the main differences would be. I don't see the new curve series with 4G capability, unless im missing something. I would really care about that, but if it does have 4G i do see myself going with the new Curve for budget reasons.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.
    05-20-11 02:49 AM
    Whether the Bold keyboard is better is really up to you. Like I mentioned, some people just feel more comfortable with the Curve keyboard. They're both great in their own regard. However, in terms of overall quality, the Curve keyboard is lower. On the other hand, if it works and feels great, who cares.

In terms of the network speed, the Curves are usually a "generation behind". Speaking from a GSM perspective, when the first Bold was released, it was also the first and only "3G" (HSPA) BlackBerry at the time. All the Curves that were released afterwards were 2G (EDGE), with the exception of the latest Curve 3G. With the arrival of 3G on the Curve, the Bold is now entering HSPA+ territory (3.5G or 4G, whatever the carriers try to tell you it is...).

With that said, combined with the overall internal hardware specs of the phone, you should be able to see how the Curve can be considered a "low-end" phone compared to the "high-end" Bold. Now, there's nothing wrong with a "low-end" phone like the Curve. It can pretty much do all the same things as the Bold can, at a lower price point and in a smaller form factor.

Personally, I wouldn't even worry about the hardware specs as much as which form factor and keyboard feels right for you. Whether a camera has 3.2MP or 5MP, or whether the screen's a slightly lower resolution, should have no effect on the quality of phone calls, messaging (unless you use microscopic font sizes), and all the other basics.
    Last edited by Masahiro; 05-20-11 at 03:19 AM.
    05-20-11 03:11 AM
    The name is different. So is the design of the phone and the position of keypads and its shortcut buttons. Slight changes to the user interface. The dimensions of bold is bigger than curve. Other than that, the rest are basically similar. Also, bold has access to more applications than curve.
    05-20-11 03:15 AM
    [QUOTE=Masahiro;6344400]Whether the Bold keyboard is better is really up to you. Like I mentioned, some people just feel more comfortable with the Curve keyboard. They're both great in their own regard. However, in terms of overall quality, the Curve keyboard is lower. On the other hand, if it works and feels great, who cares.

In terms of the network speed, the Curves are usually a "generation behind". Speaking from a GSM perspective, when the first Bold was released, it was also the first and only "3G" (HSPA) BlackBerry at the time. All the Curves that were released afterwards were 2G (EDGE), with the exception of the latest Curve 3G. With the arrival of 3G on the Curve, the Bold is now entering HSPA+ territory (3.5G or 4G, whatever the carriers try to tell you it is...).

Very well said. I completely agree. I'm the person who still prefer Curve's spaced out keyboard over 97xx keyboard. I just don't like 97xx cramped keyboard. But that's just my opinion.
    But yes, its a entry level device and Bold series is really great in overall specs like its processor, screen resolution, build quality etc.

05-20-11 08:16 PM
    It would have to be a matter of choice since they cost the same with a contract.

AmazonWireless: BlackBerry Torch 9800 Phone (AT&T)

AmazonWireless: BlackBerry Curve 9300 Phone, Grey (AT&T)
    05-21-11 10:10 AM
    Other than the hardware specs, the key difference is the keyboard (see what I did there?). The Curve has its "clicky" keyboard with separated buttons (but is actually one piece underneath). The Bold keyboard is more compressed with no space between any of the keys. I have some friends that swear by the Curve keyboard, while others cannot do without the Bold keyboard.

Ok, being a LONG time BlackBerry user, I will have to admit, when the Curve first came out, I lived and died by that phone. Until the Bold 9000 came out, I did not believe there could be a better keyboard. It was not until I was forced to have one that I changed my mind. The Curve had an awesome keyboard, but the Bold 9000 surpassed it in it's design and comfort. So I know exactly what you are talking about.

Other than the two being different in it's internal specs (which the Bold clearly is the better one of the two), the design of the phone and it's keyboard is what separates the two.
    05-21-11 10:27 AM
    Difference in quality, fit and finish, and keyboards.
    05-21-11 12:51 PM
    The new curves look nice, they are said to have a 5mp camera, high res screen, faster processor, but they new bolds will be so much better.

05-21-11 02:18 PM
    The Bold is a Nissan Maxima and the Curve is a Nissan Sentra.
    dpkass likes this.
    05-21-11 07:51 PM
    05-21-11 08:16 PM
    I want the Bold 9930 but I'd like to pay under $40 a month with unlimited Internet and text without a contract. None of the carriers that will have the 9930 will have plans like that. So I'll probably get a Curve 8530 on Virgin Mobile USA. I was hoping to get a 9930 from sprint and use it on Virgin Mobile but I don't know if that's possible. Either way I'd be satisfied with a bold or curve. I mostly want a Blackberry for bbm & I like the notifications. I also like the physical keyboard.

Last edited by blue81to; 05-21-11 at 08:53 PM.
    05-21-11 08:49 PM
    Memory
    Keyboard
    Fit and Finish
    LED signal light
    05-29-11 02:28 AM
    Memory
    Keyboard
    Fit and Finish
    LED signal light
    You forgot the screen is the same resolution as the bold 9900 but it will not be touch screen

05-30-11 11:29 AM
    What's the difference between day and night?

05-30-11 02:23 PM
    Price is a big difference. The Curves are usually way cheaper to buy.

I really want the Bold touch but depending on price I may have to go with the new Curve.

It kind of mind blowing to think about going from the high end to the low end of devices and it still being a considerable upgrade.

05-30-11 06:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD