I have been speaking to friend who is really into his blackberrys and he has been telling me that he has a hybrid OS i have seen the sections on here about hybrids but i cant seem to grasp what a hybrid OS benefits from and what do i lose if i was to use a hybrid OS ? thanks for the help and noobie questions

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-27-13 05:43 AM
    i have always wondered the same thing. can someone enlighten us?

01-27-13 05:49 AM
    I have been speaking to friend who is really into his blackberrys and he has been telling me that he has a hybrid OS i have seen the sections on here about hybrids but i cant seem to grasp what a hybrid OS benefits from and what do i lose if i was to use a hybrid OS ? thanks for the help and noobie questions Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    it's a satisfaction of a bit geeky bb user....... it never provides any particular new features of or thing that i have; you don't......... it's just smug feeling, thats all........... infact it troubles sometime...... BB firmwares are not like i-O-Yes or Anderrrroid..... you are not loosing or missing anything.......
    01-27-13 06:14 AM
    well thats wraps that up don't it

01-27-13 06:55 AM
    it's a satisfaction of a bit geeky bb user....... it never provides any particular new features of or thing that i have; you don't......... it's just smug feeling, thats all........... infact it troubles sometime...... BB firmwares are not like i-O-Yes or Anderrrroid..... you are not loosing or missing anything.......
    Mr Positivity strikes again !!!

Hybrids are a refinement of a standard OS to improve performance and will not add any new features that are not there in the base OS.

Personal experience of the BL Hybrids is that they are faster, smoother, have quicker browser with little to no checkerboarding and better battery life that standard OS.

Only way for you to find out if you can tell the difference is to try loading one up.
    Deanig_12 and Mecca EL like this.
    01-27-13 07:04 AM
    I agree with Legal Eagle. I've always had positive experiences with Hybrid OS over the standard OS. The guys who work on BL Hybrids put in a lot of hard work. I would also recommend you try it out for yourself. It's not very hard and members there are always there to help you along the way.
    01-27-13 08:34 PM
    In previous OS versions, aka OS6 and below, hybrids have had marked improvements over official releases. In some cases, going back to models that could only run 4.5/4.7, there were hybrids offering threaded SMS, where otherwise it wasn't available.

Hybrids started as a means of using the best radio file, with the latest Java cod, then branched out to improvements in performance on various levels. Fact is, all RIM OS are a mixture of new cod, with older files proven to work great. Hybrid makers simply try to one-up the RIM engineers, and for years I believe they did just that.

Based on my personal experience, hybrids on OS7 are not going to make any marked difference in performance. It's anecdotal, and others will argue IDKWTF I'm talking about (). Whatever floats your boat is cool with me. Never hurts to play, so long as you have the time, and experience to recover from the occasional foolish mistake.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-27-13 09:51 PM
    It's pointless to make hybrids in OS7. RIM did a good job with OS7. I've done a few tweeks, but that's because there are certain factors I like about different OS. Doesn't really change the performance in any way for OS7. It made a **** of a change back in OS5. It made the difference between heaven and ****. Some OS had the crappiest cods ever, or radio file. I never used a flat OS in OS5. Mind you, you can also add languages, etc and certain functions not available in the base OS, but available for other devices. For a while, there were talks that it was possible to make a hybrid OS that will load OS6 onto OS5 devices that didn't support it. That tells you the power of hybrids. It was never done publicly though because of legal issues I believe.
    01-27-13 10:22 PM
    It's pointless to make hybrids in OS7. RIM did a good job with OS7. I've done a few tweeks, but that's because there are certain factors I like about different OS. Doesn't really change the performance in any way for OS7. It made a **** of a change back in OS5. It made the difference between heaven and ****. Some OS had the crappiest cods ever, or radio file. I never used a flat OS in OS5. Mind you, you can also add languages, etc and certain functions not available in the base OS, but available for other devices. For a while, there were talks that it was possible to make a hybrid OS that will load OS6 onto OS5 devices that didn't support it. That tells you the power of hybrids. It was never done publicly though because of legal issues I believe.
    There was talk it was possible, but no one ever successfully wrote their own sfi, changing the device, that I'm aware of, and I know many who were involved in that effort.
    01-27-13 10:40 PM