Hi Everyone,

My iPhone recently killed itself so I picked up a refurbished Bold 9900 for �30 once id traded in my iPhone for parts - bargain I thought.

I used to have a 9900 years ago and thought It was amazing.

I'm worried that because the OS is outdated, I might run into issues. So can anyone answer:

Are there still apps for facebook, twitter etc still avaliable?
    Do emails and browsing still work ok etc?
    I assume its been reset to factory so will i still be able to update to the latest OS 7?

Any advice would be great, it'll be my day to day work horse so just needs to do a job until my contract runs out.

Cheers!

PS Never going with apple again..
    04-29-15 03:41 AM
    While, some what limited, due to being a bit of an outdated OS like you mentioned. There are apps like facebook, twitter and the usual social media app that are used on smartphones.

I use to use them on my Touch 9800 which is even older OS than the one on 9900. I don't know how frequently you will receive updates to those apps through. I guess they just need to work.
    04-29-15 04:37 AM
    What apps are you interested in (even categories)

The answer to your question will depend to the answer to your interests.
    04-30-15 10:46 AM
    you wont get any new apps but i regularly use twitter and the web in addition to lots of email, text and BBM. still a very usable phone in 2015 and i actually enjoy using it every day. there are still lots of nice apps for BB7 in appworld too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    1TIME likes this.
    05-02-15 08:29 AM
    There's a new app called bb10. There's a catch though...
    jas1978 likes this.
    05-02-15 08:21 PM
    Depends on what you want to do. Browse around BlackBerry World, to start with.

I like setting the convenience key to "Messages" for instant check from any app. Also use deKlikken to set first click to "Messages", second click to "Flashlight",... etc. there might be a better app for that but that one's worked for me for a while. "Advance OS and LED Pro" covers a lot of utility bases... including customizing led notifications. Other than those basics, you need to provide some detail about what type of apps you're looking for.

BTW, welcome back!!

Edit: Email, SMS, MMS are still superb. Browsing is slow, compared to newer stuff, but still satisfactory, IMO.
    Last edited by idssteve; 05-03-15 at 05:58 AM.
    05-02-15 11:38 PM
    Why don't you buy a Q10/Classic or a Passport?

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 12:04 AM

Posted via CB10
    With all due respect, some of you guys might be crossing the line into Trolling, IMO. I understand your motives but the OP already owns his �30 9900. If he had the money to buy "Q10/Classic or Passport" would he be parting his iPhone & buying �30 refurbished 9900? I might be wrong but your question to his questions seems unhelpful, IMO. FWIW.
    pgg101, NikoB82 and Bonnie Bonzai like this.
    05-03-15 06:10 AM
    OP, most here also still think it's an amazing, if dated, device. I'm typing this on a 9900 purchased NEW just about 6 months ago so "dated" is relevant. Most of my crew of 26 still carry our 9900's as "security blanket" backups for our Classics. In fact, we just completed an intense 7 week plant startup using mostly 9900, since our new Classics were too new when that project started. No problems what so ever with email or txt. As i said before, browsing is slow but serviceable. Apps like excel, word, pdf, etc work just like always. I can't speak to Facebook or Twitter since company policy prohibits them, in my case, but a previous post seems to indicate they're still functional. Others will need to elaborate on that.

Unless there's something unusual about your particular location, i see no reason you shouldn't be able to update OS to latest (see stickies). You'll need a PC, tho. In fact, your "refurbished" device might even be already updated.

Don't overload the thing with too many apps. RAM is limited. Also need to check if your provider will still let you BIS, etc.

Overall, considering you already have the device and previous experience with it, i'd predict you'll be pretty happy for a while yet. That said, 9900's days ARE numbered and its usefulness will eventually force abandonment. Hopefully the good old 9900 can make you happy enough with BB to entice you into a Classic, or other BB10 device, when your contract is up...
    David Tyler likes this.
    05-03-15 09:30 AM
    With all due respect, some of you guys might be crossing the line into Trolling, IMO. I understand your motives but the OP already owns his �30 9900. If he had the money to buy "Q10/Classic or Passport" would he be parting his iPhone & buying �30 refurbished 9900? I might be wrong but your question to his questions seems unhelpful, IMO. FWIW.
    I never meant to troll him and your intention of trolling me is pointless and senseless here.
    I just asked him to try the new BB10 phones, because maybe he doesn't know about the new phones being released by BlackBerry or doesn't know what BB10 is, and how different it is from the old BlackBerry smartphones. And now you can get a used Q10 for under $100, and since he has an iPhone, I think there won't be a money issue for him.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 10:44 AM
    Depends on what you want to do. Browse around BlackBerry World, to start with.

Edit: Email, SMS, MMS are still superb. Browsing is slow, compared to newer stuff, but still satisfactory, IMO.
    Browser is satisfactory? Maybe you are living in the ice age . Browser sucks so bad, that it cannot be compared to any browser at the moment!

FYI: I love 9900, it's look, and the OS7, it's so simple, I really love it to use just as communication device(emails,social networking, phone calls etc)

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 10:46 AM
    Browser is satisfactory? Maybe you are living in the ice age . Browser sucks so bad, that it cannot be compared to any browser at the moment!

FYI: I love 9900, it's look, and the OS7, it's so simple, I really love it to use just as communication device(emails,social networking, phone calls etc)

Posted via CB10
    Again, all depends on usage. 9900 will browse good enough to locate lodging, restaurants, etc... for example. Even occasional youtube. I use a Classic and a Passport and, you're right, there's NO comparison. So satisfaction is a matter of opinion. The OP said he's sold his iPhone for parts and bought a cheap 9900 to get by until his next contract cycle. I agree that he'll want to consider BB10 for the future and fully admit i could be misunderstanding his situation. Just can't blindly recommend someone lay out cash he might not have as the ONLY suggestion. Especially since he's looking forward to a new contract that might likely include a Classic with minimal additional cost. Right or wrong, that was my thinking.
    05-03-15 12:48 PM
    Browsing isn't that bad if you install Opera Mini on your 99xx. It's almost on a par speed-wise with Evolution Browser on my Q10.
    idssteve likes this.
    05-03-15 04:02 PM
    Browsing isn't that bad if you install Opera Mini on your 99xx. It's almost on a par speed-wise with Evolution Browser on my Q10.
    im running Opera Mini on my 9900 and its good except FB is no longer supported but the apps for Twitter and FB and still rocking. everyone says "the 9900 is good for OCCASIONAL web browsing" but I am a heavy user (huge Twitter account) and using the 9900 for everything I was in 2011 with my 9780 and this thing is still plenty good. The ONLY app that trips up a little bit is the Native Twitter app but it always pulls through everytime and I am not a patient person.

Considering my iphone 5C has a 1.3 GHZ processor and the 9900 is a 1.2 GHZ, i am not having trouble multi-tasking at least a couple of apps at a time.

For the price I paid for this 9900 its an absolute bargain if someone just wants a kick around cell, or in my case, something to replace my iphone for the next several months until I decide what to get next

terminatorx likes this.
    01-06-16 08:57 PM
    There's a new app called bb10. There's a catch though...
    HAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAA

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    01-06-16 09:24 PM
    These may not be 2015 apps, but they are great:

CheckLists (by Bulbera)
    Nobex Radio
    Scanner Radio (by Gordon Edwards)
    Traffic Monitor (by RadioOpt)
    ShortcutMe (by Fonware)

There's other apps that are really good too, like Shazam. With less bloat and greater speed, it puts the "latest" Android/iOS versions to shame. TuneIn Radio and DI Radio also have great BBOS apps in BlackBerry World.
    01-07-16 11:08 AM
    if the original poster of this topic still uses a 9900, or anyone, I recommend checking App world right now they have "Best of 2015" and there is an excellent Instagram pic "uploader" that lets you do everything on IG except see who liked your pics. it works great as well as a good photo editor, etc
    [IMG]html>
    <head><title>301 Moved Permanently</title></head>
    <body bgcolor="white">
    <center><h1>301 Moved Permanently</h1></center>
    <hr><center>nginx</center>
    </body>
    </html>
    [/IMG]

01-07-16 11:16 AM
    Must have favs of mine: (still available as of August 2015, anyway)
    Advance OS & LED
    BeWeather (love seeing local conditions on home screen)
    Lygea HP 10C emulator.
    Unit Converter Pro
    eBay (deal finder)
    Opera Mini
    DropBox
    Explorer for One Drive
    DeKlikken
    GPS Trackdown
    goodayeh likes this.
    01-07-16 12:44 PM
    BeWeather (love seeing local conditions on home screen)
    i like "The Weather Channel" (blue icon) app, at least it lets you see current temps on the home screen but it is microscopic

i never tried Dropbox.....ever.....but I hear so much about it on every tech podcast out there.

goodayeh likes this.
    01-07-16 08:35 PM
    All my favourite apps are listed here: http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...ut-bis-996682/
    idssteve and goodayeh like this.
    01-07-16 09:02 PM
    Many thanks to the following :

Shuswap , Ralph Morgotch , idssteve , terminatorx.

Very good suggestions !!
    01-08-16 08:26 PM

Posted via CB10
    If you will find for me app on BB10 like ShortCutMe on BBOS I will agree with you about buying BB10 device.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    01-10-16 03:03 AM
    I just bought a bold 9780. I just love the size and feel. Still great for texting email and twitter. I use opera mini as browser. Have a classic for work. But when I'm home is use the 9780. Call me crazy. But I still love blackberry. Gonna look for a 9790 lol!!!!

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    02-25-16 04:00 PM
    you must have fast wifi at home

Yeah last week when I was getting a new earpiece speaker in my 9900 I popped the sim into the 9780 and it was more than adequate. Something I did notice is that the 9780's earpiece speaker (for hearing the person) was a lot less volume at Max than the 9900. Maybe this is why the ear speaker blew on my 9900? I wonder if others are having this happen with their 9900's and I should go a hard Google search just for cuiriousity.

my 9780 always has crystal clear calling, no probs in that area.

02-25-16 04:09 PM
    My pleasure. I dont know how I missed this post.

02-25-16 04:09 PM
30 12