Congratulations RIM, you did it.

I dont have to go into detail about how long we were waiting for these devices to drop or how many nights of sleep we lost leading up to the launch. To be fair, I dont even think we saw the launch coming; suddenly Kevin posts that he picked up 4 9900s from a Rogers store and like dominos we started to see more and more stores stocking them and other carriers in Canada following suit right after the other.

I can proudly say I was one of the first in line to pick up a brand new 9900 from Rogers in Ottawa on launch day, needless to say I didnt get a lot of work done that day, most of it was spent playing with this amazing new device. (I since returned it and bought one at TELUS) I was blown away by the speed. I think back to my first few hours with the 9900 thinking this is as smooth as my iPhone, and just as thin, and its a BlackBerry!

For the better part of a year Ive carried around two phones with me, my BlackBerry device of choice at the time and my iPhone3GS/4. I left stuff like music, Facebook, Twitter and SIRIUS for the iPhone and left the BlackBerry to do what it does best: email, sms and of course BBM. In addition to that I split the two phones between work and personal uses. Ive had BlackBerrys since the 7250 and have every single model carried by Rogers and TELUS, so I know what they can do, but the user experience for things like Facebook, Twitter and all that fun/social stuff just lacked performance on the BlackBerry platform.

The 9900 changes all of this. For the past 2 days Ive carried my 9900 exclusively, leaving the iPhone at home, not even on the charger but in a desk drawer, draining. My 9900 runs Facebook 2.0, which we all know is a huge step up in performance. I have Twitter 2.0 installed as well, BlackBerry traffic, and a bunch of other specialty applications. I get my corporate e-mail on it, and my two personal email accounts. It all comes to one device now, the way it should be.

BlackBerry is a personality thing, to me its something that not only works as a communications device, but it assists in keeping your life together, it from time-to-time defines who you are. Past BlackBerry devices didnt suck, at all, but they werent up to current technology standards. Now, Im even more proud to show off my Berry to people around the office, I love being able to let them test-drive it without having to say Oh, yeah, they havent quite optimized that yet or Its a small processor. They play with it and I now say Yeah, RIMs back baby!

The only, and I repeat only issue I have is with the battery. Some users have great experience with it, others not so much. The stock OS that came with the Rogers 9900 was horrible, after coming off a full charge at 8am it would be down to 55% by noon with little to no use. My girlfriend, who got hers from Virgin Mobile the same night, can go two days with constant phone calls, BBMing, SMS, the whole deal. My current 9900 from TELUS seems to be right in the middle. So Im going to try different carrier OS and see what works best.

But all in all, congratulations RIM. Welcome back.

Yours,
    Proud BlackBerry User.
    08-13-11 11:16 AM
    Welcome back to the berry!!
    I had experienced the same horrible battery life with Bell's stock OS (.261), I tried a few other versions but settled on Vodafone's .296 and seem to be having much better battery life.

On the stock I would take my 9900 off the charger around 06:50 and be at around 45% battery by Noon. I don't have that problem anymore.
    08-13-11 11:28 AM
    Oh, I never left BlackBerry. I wouldn't be able to survive without one!

I had experienced the same horrible battery life with Bell's stock OS (.261), I tried a few other versions but settled on Vodafone's .296 and seem to be having much better battery life.

On the stock I would take my 9900 off the charger around 06:50 and be at around 45% battery by Noon. I don't have that problem anymore.
    I've heard good things about Vodafone's .296, what kind of life are you getting now?

Thanks
    08-13-11 11:31 AM
    Oh, I never left BlackBerry. I wouldn't be able to survive without one!

I've heard good things about Vodafone's .296, what kind of life are you getting now?

Thanks
    From what I have read on Another thread someone had theirs charged at full charge 8am then at noon it was still at 50 percent with the Vodafone OS version.
    08-13-11 11:44 AM
    Yeah, well, you may want to bring along the iPhone if you plan on taking pics...
    No thanks. I love the 9900 camera and have no beef with it! I have a $27k camera if I really want to get that "truly amazing high-def shot". It's a cell phone at the end of the day, remember when they didn't have cameras?
    08-13-11 11:51 AM
    At first I thought it was Wikitude that was draining the heck out of my berry.

I ran a test; two days at work, almost the same routine, ran wikitude the first day for a benchmark, and then did not.

E-mail 125-140 received/90-120 sent

BBM use - Heavy (I have over a 1000 contacts and am constantly msging)
    Trillian - Moderate
    Sigil Ohm - Very light use

UberSocial - Open Refresh 10 minutes

Face for BBM (Facebook chat)

Network or WiFi - Kills my network searching when in range of company wifi/public wifi (useful for when I am below ground level in the city)

Others - Some light docs2go, phone duties (39:14) calls and voicemail, voice notes, memopad (very light typing)

Wikitude running (moderate use) clicking on everything, waving the thing over my head making a figure eight motion(It wanted me to do this an awful lot), map view, wikitude msging.....

Took the phone off the charger at 06:30
    At Noon I was just hitting 63% When I arrived at home, my levels were at 41%. I kept it off the charger and continued to use it until it hit 11% at 18:30

Second day, tried to keep the conditions the same (this was by no means a scientific study) Only difference was that I closed Wikitude for most of the day (I really like it, it was tough to leave closed/cheated a couple of times...LoL) and my phone time was (42:52) anyways, at noon I was at 72% and at 18:30 I was around 48%

I think the constant geolocation and numerous calibrations destroyed my battery, I have always enjoyed a very strong signal in downtown Toronto.
    08-13-11 11:52 AM
    If you haven't already upgraded. To version .317 I'd do it right away and leave the phone to settle for about 2 days. All new blackberries and batteries take a whole to adjust. They may get really hot at first but on the 2-3 day they will level off. I usually keep my phone on for 6 hours before doing any sort of battery pull and in the first 2 days do a battery pull every 6 hours. My phone is now sitting pretty after 9 hours and I'm at 67% battery after gaming and browsing the web on wifi anf H+. Some tips I'd give you would to keep apps like facebook, ubersocial to refresh when opened that way they don't cause drain when they can't be refreshed in background.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-11 12:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD