Are we still unclear if the upcoming Bold will have a Hot Spot. This is a deal breaker for me. Most of the other smartphones have it on VZ.
    07-06-11 11:44 AM
    it will have it. 100%. This was a big issue for me as well, however, i have read MANY, MANY articles saying that the phone will have it, so I am not worried.
    07-06-11 12:00 PM
    It will if your carrier allows it
    07-06-11 12:02 PM
    Last I heard it was in previous builds of the OS...but the most recent builds have it omitted. Take from that what you will, RIM still hasn't officially put it in the specs list.
    howarmat likes this.
    07-06-11 12:03 PM
    Last I heard it was in previous builds of the OS...but the most recent builds have it omitted. Take from that what you will, RIM still hasn't officially put it in the specs list.
    So it definitely will be carrier specific then i think
    07-06-11 12:09 PM
    I don't think we are sure about anything anymore when it comes to RIM. sigh
    howarmat likes this.
    07-06-11 12:10 PM
    it will have it. 100%. This was a big issue for me as well, however, i have read MANY, MANY articles saying that the phone will have it, so I am not worried.
    Wouldn't be so sure about it... All the articles said it'd right up until RIM actually announced the phone. Then no mention of the feature. I know NFC was a bigger deal, but I can't imagine why they wouldn't have mentioned a major additional feature.

None of the videos I have seen of the phone has mentioned the capability either.
    07-06-11 12:15 PM
    I really want/need this Hot Spot and it will be a shame if it is not included on VZ.
    07-06-11 12:17 PM
    As of 6 weeks ago when I played with one, there wasn't hot spot feature yet. I truly hope that was because it's the early version of firmware because it would be very disappointing.

I would like to get away from using bluetooth to tether up with my iPad if possible.
    07-07-11 06:43 PM
    Honestly, now that Verizon has implemented their new tiered data plans, I feel a little more confident that they will allow it.
    07-08-11 08:25 AM
    So, these phones have this great feature and RIM aren't advertising the fact? Not even a *subject to carrier approval?

Yikes. Doesn't sound good.
    07-08-11 08:53 AM
    From someone with the 9930...

"No, the last road map meeting with verizon they stated that the hotspot will be supported but not in the first release... I hope AT&T follows suit." - BekNazar

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...h-wait-628028/
    Last edited by Detective M Downs; 07-08-11 at 09:07 AM.
    07-08-11 09:05 AM
    So, these phones have this great feature and RIM aren't advertising the fact? Not even a *subject to carrier approval?

Yikes. Doesn't sound good.

Subject to Carrier approval is a strong arm tactic RIM can not afford to play right now. Basically you pit the end users against the carriers to get your agenda through.
    07-08-11 09:09 AM
    If it's not built in but has the hardware capability, then I'm sure that some developer will capitalize on this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-11 01:00 PM
    WOW no HotSpot may be a deal breaker for me. I need it to run my tablets etc.
    07-10-11 09:00 AM
    I think the hardware is there to do hotspot. It is not up to RIM to include it so DO NOT GET PISSED AT THEM. RIM sets up the carrier phones they way the want, not how RIM wants.

I am sure some developer will maybe get this going but you must be prepaired for the carrier detecting it and charging you accordingly.
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 07-25-11 at 05:38 AM.
    07-10-11 11:14 AM
    Remember that since you can't root or jailbreak a Blackberry, the carrier will be able to have full control over this option and it's availability and charge you accordingly. My guess is that it will be there if you are willing to pay. Probably pushed down in a service book. This could also be something that requires BIS 4.1 to push out said service book so it may be October till that feature is available.
    Last edited by lnichols; 07-10-11 at 11:32 AM.
    07-10-11 11:27 AM
    HTC Thunderbolt OTA Update 1.70.605.0 (Froyo) Rolling Out Now, Fixes Reboots, Enhances Data Connectivity, More

You might want to start looking at phones sooner than later..

Looks like Verizon is moving toward making "free hotspots" a thing of the past, latest update for the Thunder Bolt removes the Free Hotspot, if you want hotspot support on Verizon you need a $30/month plan
    07-10-11 08:00 PM
    or root

it does suck they finally killed the free hotspot though
    07-10-11 08:11 PM
    or root

it does suck they finally killed the free hotspot though

we'll see if Verizon gets smart figures out how to tell if one is tethered to their device even if it is rooted.

I more posted that as a don't hold your breath for free hotspot on this bold.
    07-10-11 08:18 PM
    we'll see if Verizon gets smart figures out how to tell if one is tethered to their device even if it is rooted.

I more posted that as a don't hold your breath for free hotspot on this bold.
    oh yeah i doubt anyone gives away hotspot anymore. I assume that an app might be made like tether or PDANet that will allow for wifi hotspot. You will as always be responsible for your data usage though
    07-10-11 08:39 PM
    if you get a playbook then it wont be an issue
    01itr likes this.
    07-24-11 09:51 PM
    if you get a playbook then it wont be an issue
    Why not.

Even with a Playbook, AT&T will charge you for tethering. ALL the carriers will sooner of later. They will all charge for bandwidth used in the months to come.
    07-25-11 05:40 AM
    Why not.

why Bridge Browser of course ! Even though not officially sanctioned by AT&T, we're all getting by without additional charges so far using OTA Bridge from other carriers. Many are grandfathered in on the unlimited data !
    07-25-11 11:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD