Hello all,

Recently my bold 9900 had droped in a batch of water resulting in water damage. I had used the good old rice in a bowl trick to fix and get rid of the water damage.

The blackberry turns on fine and the LED is working perfectly. As you can tell the rice in the bowl trick worked for me.

However, i have a problem as after the blackberry has loaded *BLACKBERRY with a loading bar underneath* it randomly turns off and then reloads... turns off... than reloads .... and it keeps carrying on. Im not sure why this is happening ?

It cant be the phone can it? cause the phone seems fine as far as i can tell no signs of water damage.

I was thinking maybe it could be the battery ?

-yes ive done a battery pull
    - ive also held the power button for 10seconds and taken out the battery
    - ive also pluged in the charger while the baterry is in and loading up = same result
    - ive pluged in the charger while the battery isnt in the phone and i do get the regular battert X symbol ....

Any help please? im clueless at the moment .. Cheers
    01-18-12 11:24 AM
    Sounds like you might have some water damage. I would check the little white piece of whatever-that-is in the battery compartment...if it's still white then that's better because it's supposed to mean your phone is not water damaged to the warranty people. If it changed color (not sure what the color is but it's not white) then it means water got into your phone and all bets are off.
    01-18-12 11:29 AM
    That white piece of whatever on the battery is for the battery. There are indicators on the inside of the phone as well. If I were you, I'd try reloading the OS to see if you can even get through that. Otherwise, you'll probably have to settle on picking one up from ebay or craigslist.
    01-18-12 12:14 PM
    water damage. that sucks. It may look ok, but there's no telling what kind of damage the water did to the internals. Good luck to ya.
    Hgouck likes this.
    01-18-12 03:28 PM
    the phone seems to be working fine though!!

e.g. the phone was loaded and it detected there was no simcard so it said

>insert simcard< where was before it loaded the sim card

arg! im so annoyed
    01-18-12 04:19 PM
    That white piece of whatever on the battery is for the battery. There are indicators on the inside of the phone as well. If I were you, I'd try reloading the OS to see if you can even get through that. Otherwise, you'll probably have to settle on picking one up from ebay or craigslist.
    The white square is a moisture detector. It changes color if the phone is exposed to too much moisture. If you call AT&T for a warranty issue, one of the first things they ask you to do is to remove the battery, and looking down from the top in the battery compartment just to the right of the gold charging pins you should see a small white square. If the phone is exposed to too much moisture, this square changes color. This is not specifically related to the battery, but to the phone.
    01-18-12 04:34 PM
    yep i know that.
    what ive heard from my mates is that if you phone is water damaged
    - it wouldnt turn on
    - you will have a black screen
    - it wont charge

etc; but my phone does all that !! ahahah...

going to have to try a new battery maybe see if it fixes it

btw there are only a couple of red/brown dots on the white patches
    01-18-12 04:39 PM
    I hope you paid for insurance on your phone because from what you described you have water damage to the phone. Sometimes it takes a day or two to show up.
    01-18-12 04:43 PM
    sorry but with water damage... the results can be crazy and wacky. the phone will seem ok, but do random things.
    01-18-12 04:43 PM
    no insurance covers water damage =\
    01-18-12 04:44 PM
    keep your phone and battery in sun light for say 15-20 mins, supposing sun is not on its full heat as its winters right now. and then try,
    01-19-12 08:22 AM
    no insurance covers water damage =\
    Insurance does, the warranty wouldn't.
    01-19-12 09:10 AM
    Dude my mate's phone had this EXACT same problem. Rice bowl allowed it to power on, but she had the JVM 517 error. So I reloaded OS, and then she developed this restarting problem. Initially it restarted after 2 mins, then 5 mins, then 10 mins, and I THINK after the 5th or 6th restart, it stopped restarting itself.

This was only a week ago, so I'm gonna text her now and find out how it's been playing since then. Will keep you updated.
    01-19-12 10:03 AM
    my wife dropped her 9800 in the toilet.....we had to leave it in rice for 2 days.....leave it in the rice longer and try it again in another day.
    01-19-12 10:54 AM
    funny thing about it is i left it in rice for over 3 days ahaha

back in rice it goes
    01-19-12 11:07 AM
    I got in touch w my mate who hasn't had any restart probs since last week. Although.. She said her emails "auto deleted" once since :S. So its defo now a slightly wonky device.
    01-19-12 11:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD