Hey so my phone bricked itself and i know rim and rogers has said before if you unlock the phone it will void the warranty but its been under a year and i need to know if they will even find out i had unlocked it? and a lot of posts by other people say they have had no problems and no questions asked it was fixed regardless if it was unlocked. AND if i go back to the store and return it and do you think they will repair it when all else has failed for me or will they send me a new one? what more likely to happen? thanks in advance for your answers
    05-01-12 01:38 AM
    If you have an active account with Rogers they will most likely repair it.
    05-01-12 05:31 AM
    Last year I returned an “un-locked/bricked“ 9900 from Bell after only 6 weeks. Managed to convince them to sell me a brand new 9900 for just the upgrade fee that day but it took incredible effort. Bell then sent me a full refurbished unit 4 weeks later.

They didn't care if it was un-locked

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    05-01-12 05:38 AM
    its not active with them, but the warranty is with RIM, no? has anyone done this with rogers? I know I'm going to have to go through their store to get to rim anyway..
    05-01-12 07:53 AM
    its not active with them, but the warranty is with RIM, no? has anyone done this with rogers? I know I'm going to have to go through their store to get to rim anyway..
    They need a cell account to book the repair. In other words they warrant the phone when used with their network and it is under warranty.

You are probably out of luck unless you can get your current carrier to warrant it.

What is not clear or may not be well understood is that the carriers are sold the phones at a certain price and as part of that discounted price they have to deal with the warranty service. The Rogers phones seem to go back to Flextronics for repair, not RIM, though Flextronics and or Rogers may get credits from Rim for parts or phones replaced under warranty.
    niki982 likes this.
    05-01-12 08:05 AM
    is there anyway I can pay someone @ flextronics to try and fix my phone? thats absolutely ridiculous there so called warranty...
    05-01-12 08:17 AM
    I have an account with them but i just payed it off.. does that count ?
    05-01-12 08:18 AM
    I have an account with them but i just payed it off.. does that count ?
    Can't hurt to go to a store and plead ur case. They will not know that u unlocked the device.
    05-01-12 08:32 AM
    just talked to rogers, looks like I'm going to be either calling RIM and yelling at them to replace my phone... or setting up another pre paid account with rogers saying i already have a blackberry phone..
    05-01-12 08:45 AM
    I figured that would happen. Carriers will only repair phones that are locked to (or at least purchased from) them. If it came from a different carrier or source, there is no way for the carrier to verify the place it came from and therefore they are under no obligation to fix it on their dime.

JB
    05-01-12 09:36 AM
    unlocking a phone doesnt void the warranty. if the phone is under one year from purchase date, its covered.
    05-01-12 09:46 AM
    That's technically true, but if the phone is unlocked and then brought to another carrier, the new carrier is not obligated to repair the phone, nor should they be expected to.

JB
    05-01-12 09:51 AM
    Are you sure it is not just a problem that can be fixed by reloading the software? You might want to see if you can find a local shop to try fixing it. Try searching BlackBerry on kijiji and see if there is a local shop that will look at it.

If you just recently cancelled your Rogers account, you may be able to go back to them for no fee and then send it off for repair. This is assuming you are not under a contract with your new carrier. I suppose you would call Rogers, select the cancel your account option, then when you get the retentions department, explain that you want to come back.

Another question that has not been asked yet is are you the original owner of the phone? If it was not purchased on your account and you cannot provide proof of purchase if it was bought on somebody else's account, you may not have warranty, even with Rogers.
    Last edited by robsteve; 05-01-12 at 10:09 AM.
    05-01-12 10:05 AM
    With Rogers, as long as the IMEI number is registered with your account (necessary for BIS on your account) and it is a Rogers phone (was bought originally from Rogers and not another carrier), then it will be covered. I bought my 9900 on Kijiji and its a locked Rogers phone - I was having issues with it a little while ago, but wiping the phone and restoring fixed the issue. I had been told by a Rogers rep prior to reloading the software that my phone would be covered.

JB
    05-01-12 10:20 AM
    yes I'm the original owner and have had the phone for 2 months, I cancelled it and paid in full but have not brought the phone anywhere else. rogeres didn't want to repair it because i don't have an active account.. then i called rim who called them back saying they r obligated too.. then a man said no because once i canceled the account i cancelled the warranty ??? and then i was put to a wonderful woman named krista in the tech department who told me to go to any rogers store with my receipt and they should send it off for at LEAST repair...if i come to any problems and they need an active account to relate it to me, she noted that maybe i should set up a pre paid account with that phone or something of that nature. VERY smart! in the end it won't be able to be repaired(trust me i tired reloading software 100000 times) and they should give me a refurbished one that works at least! thanks for the heads up crackberry! ill keep you posted!
    Last edited by niki982; 05-01-12 at 10:23 AM. Reason: typo
    05-01-12 10:22 AM
    If you don't have a rogers account, call rogers and get transferred over to blackberry tech support (they'll do it without too much fuss)...then tell them your situation and ask to be transferred to management or whatever it is called (I was told this by a rogers employee a few times to do this if needed) that department sales management or whatever it is called deals with phones and warranties, what they do is send you a refurbished 9900 or whatever your sending back for warranty with a prepaid bag to send yours back in, will arrive in 3-4 business days max. They will however charge you the shipping which will be like 35$.
    05-02-12 12:21 AM
    With Rogers, as long as the IMEI number is registered with your account (necessary for BIS on your account) and it is a Rogers phone (was bought originally from Rogers and not another carrier), then it will be covered. I bought my 9900 on Kijiji and its a locked Rogers phone - I was having issues with it a little while ago, but wiping the phone and restoring fixed the issue. I had been told by a Rogers rep prior to reloading the software that my phone would be covered.

JB
    According to Telus, even after I unlocked the phone since I received the phone from Telus, it is covered by Telus. According to Canadian laws and policies, unlocking a phone will not void the warranty was far as what the Telus rep told me.
    05-02-12 02:08 AM
    That's true, but you're saying the same thing that I did - if the phone comes from a different carrier, the new carrier you are trying to use the phone with has no obligation to provide warranty service on the phone.

For example, you buy a phone from Rogers, unlock it and then use it on Telus, Telus is under no obligation to provide warranty repairs for that phone. The phone has to have come from the carrier you are trying to have it repaired with.

JB
    05-02-12 06:36 AM
    That's true, but you're saying the same thing that I did - if the phone comes from a different carrier, the new carrier you are trying to use the phone with has no obligation to provide warranty service on the phone.

For example, you buy a phone from Rogers, unlock it and then use it on Telus, Telus is under no obligation to provide warranty repairs for that phone. The phone has to have come from the carrier you are trying to have it repaired with.

JB
    Then if we buy a phone from a different service provider, there is no warranty. I think we need a change of law for sure. Thanks for the information.

Sent from BlackBerry Bold 9900
    05-02-12 11:01 AM
    Good info here, thanks. I was just asking myself the same question with an unlocked sprint 9930 on tmobile's network.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    05-02-12 11:19 AM
    Then if we buy a phone from a different service provider, there is no warranty. I think we need a change of law for sure. Thanks for the information.

Sent from BlackBerry Bold 9900
    I think you're being a tad melodramatic. From a business standpoint, a company can only guarantee the reliability of a product it sells - if it didn't sell it, it can't guarantee it. Why should Rogers be responsible for fixing a phone that was purchased from Telus?

It would be like me buying a piece of technology from The Source, and then trying to have it fixed at Future Shop. They sell the exact same product, why shouldn't they fix it, right?

Like it or not, warranty repairs cost the carrier money. If a defective product came from a different carrier, what's in it for the one you want to fix it through? They're not making ANY money off of the phone, since it was bought from a different carrier, so in effect, fixing a phone purchased outside the company is being done so at a huge loss. Since a company exists to make money (read: profit), it's counter productive for them to throw money at a different carrier's problem when they will not be making any money in return. And of course, you're the consumer and you have the choice whether you wish to be with that carrier or a different one, but ultimately it comes down to reasonable expectations. It's not reasonable, even from a consumer standpoint, to expect a company to fix a phone that they did not guarantee and they did not sell. If you want to use an unlocked phone, then by all means, go ahead and do it, but either do it with a phone that came from the carrier whose network you are on, or do so at your own risk.

JB
    Last edited by LordCrankypants; 05-02-12 at 12:40 PM.
    05-02-12 12:29 PM
    Very good point. Im starting to wonder if downloading leaks is causing people some problems. Could be the leaks or could it be user lack of understanding?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-02-12 12:49 PM
    Like it or not, warranty repairs cost the carrier money. If a defective product came from a different carrier, what's in it for the one you want to fix it through? They're not making ANY money off of the phone, since it was bought from a different carrier, so in effect, fixing a phone purchased outside the company is being done so at a huge loss.

JB
    One of the other things common with unlocked phones is a lot of them are being used on pay as you go plans. These people are expecting their carrier to support and service a phone that may not be on their network a month later. The carrier will give you much better service if you are on contract or at least post paid billing. For example, in the case of Rogers they will fix your phone once if it is fixable, even out of warranty, as long as you are on a post paid account.
    05-02-12 02:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD