Hello all,

I'm strongly contemplating switching back to a Blackberry 9930 from my HTC Thunderbolt but need to know if I can do the following:

1) Access and watch streaming flash vids through the browser. I know the default 9930 browser doesn't support flash but are there any workarounds? I'd love to be able to watch streaming sports games on sites such as the former atdhe.net or firstrowsports. Does skyfire on the blackberry work for firstrowsports?

2) Any apps for downloading youtube videos in reasonable quality? Any blackberry equivalent of tubemate for Android?

3) Does the browser have text formatting for reading text in a single readable column? If I'm reading text on a website, I don't want to have to scroll side to side to read it.

Thanks in advance for your help. I'd love to come back to BB and having any of these three things would greatly ease my transition back to RIM.

PS... Please try to refrain from any comments about BB's being a business tool and not a toy. My Thunderbolt gets great support from my law firm so the divide between business and personal devices is not as wide as it used to be.
    08-26-11 10:10 PM
    Yes is has text reformatting and ne flash on the new bold. The video quality is excellent but no where close to your android device. I came from the incredible 2 and there is a lot you loose coming to the bold but what you gain might offset your losses. The big difference for me is the navigation and push mail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-11 10:14 PM
    1. No flash.
    I think skyfire canceled BlackBerry development.

2. Don't know...

3. Yupper

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-11 10:19 PM
    Thanks guys for the feedback. I'm surprised there's no flash support either through RIM or a third party. RIM obviously knows flash is important since they made the playbook flash capable.

The text wrapping is big for me. I like what I've heard about the build quality and OS responsiveness. I think I will try a 9930 out. See if I miss my android phone much.
    08-26-11 10:21 PM
    Thanks guys for the feedback. I'm surprised there's no flash support either through RIM or a third party. RIM obviously knows flash is important since they made the playbook flash capable.

The text wrapping is big for me. I like what I've heard about the build quality and OS responsiveness. I think I will try a 9930 out. See if I miss my android phone much.
    Best thing you can do

Sent via Gingerbread Deck Incredible
    08-26-11 10:24 PM
    Any thoughts on the browser speed compared to android? Pages still look like they take awhile to render especially on 3G.
    08-26-11 10:26 PM
    You can still watch YouTube videos, but it's just done through the Video Player, instead of a direct connection to the website.

Flash will probably be natively supported on the QNX smartphones, seeing as it already is on the PlayBook, so if you feel the Bold 9900 isn't quite for you, check back in about a year as some of the features for the QNX 'superphones'/smartphones are pretty amazing and we're (mostly) all looking forward to being able to see and use them.
    08-26-11 10:27 PM

The thing with Flash is that right now the 9930 is running OS7, not QNX, and QNX is what was developed to load flash.

Now, what would be awesome is an update from OS7 -> QNX for the 9930 sometime down the road once the new QNX hits.:P
    08-26-11 11:39 PM
    Hello all,

I'm strongly contemplating switching back to a Blackberry 9930 from my HTC Thunderbolt but need to know if I can do the following:

1) Access and watch streaming flash vids through the browser. I know the default 9930 browser doesn't support flash but are there any workarounds? I'd love to be able to watch streaming sports games on sites such as the former atdhe.net or firstrowsports. Does skyfire on the blackberry work for firstrowsports?

2) Any apps for downloading youtube videos in reasonable quality? Any blackberry equivalent of tubemate for Android?

3) Does the browser have text formatting for reading text in a single readable column? If I'm reading text on a website, I don't want to have to scroll side to side to read it.

Thanks in advance for your help. I'd love to come back to BB and having any of these three things would greatly ease my transition back to RIM.

PS... Please try to refrain from any comments about BB's being a business tool and not a toy. My Thunderbolt gets great support from my law firm so the divide between business and personal devices is not as wide as it used to be.
    It's still used by most of the attorney's that I know. They tend to type a lot.
    08-26-11 11:49 PM
    It's still used by most of the attorney's that I know. They tend to type a lot.
    Several fellow associates of mine use Iphones or Android devices. More and more firms are opening up their IT policies matching the trend amongst financial firms.

In my experience, I'm usually not too far away from a computer and if I need to type an email on the go its rarely over a paragraph long. Iphones or android devices are usually sufficient for short emails like that.

But in any case, I'd rather not get into this debate and would rather just focus on the merits of the 9930.
    08-27-11 10:32 AM
    Just wanted to bump this for any updates. Is there a way to download youtube videos onto a 9900 yet?
    04-05-12 07:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD